• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Super Mario Bros. Movie Pre-Release Discussion Thread (Now releasing April 5th in the US)

Final Worldwide Box Office Predictions

• Less than $300 million (Absolute Flop)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • $300-450 million (in line with other video game adaptations)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • $450-700 million (best video game adaptation, in line with other recent animated films)

Votes: 26 21.0%
  • $700 million-1 billion (higher tier for all but the biggest hits

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • $1-1.3 billion (Top 10 highest grossing animated film of all time, Illumination’s biggest success)

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • $1.3-1.6 billion (Frozen tier)

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • 1.6 billion+ (unseats the Lion King remake as the most successful animated movie of all time)

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Princess Daisy will be included as she and Luigi are one of the few instances of Mario characters actually dating and being a couple in the Mario Universe across multiple games.

...at least it will in my heart.

Characters from Punch Out 😮

There had already been a reference to the game in the map of the plumbing commercial, but it seems like there could be more to it

At the 15:50 mark Chris Pratt mentions the possibility of a "Nintendo Cinematic Universe" w/ KMK agreeing. Could he have just hinted at an NCU or was this just an off the cuff remark?

Since there's rumors that a DK movie is next in line and even a Zelda movie down the line, do you guys think we'll get a NCU?

Edit: Chris Pratt mentioned in that segment that the characters from
Punch-Out
will appear in this movie. I guess if you consider that the Mario, DK, Yoshi, and
Punch-Out
franchises are all represented in this movie, it kinda already is an NCU :)

Last edited:
I'm shocked they're doing a midnight release for this; my first actual midnight release in a long time.

You can bet your bottom dollar that I bought my tickets today, for MAR10, and will be going decked out as Waluigi.

At the 15:50 mark Chris Pratt mentions the possibility of a "Nintendo Cinematic Universe" w/ KMK agreeing. Could he have just hinted at an NCU or was this just an off the cuff remark?

Since there's rumors that a DK movie is next in line and even a Zelda movie down the line, do you guys think we'll get a NCU?

Punch-Out
will appear in this movie. I guess if you consider that the Mario, DK, Yoshi, and
Punch-Out
If this movie does well at the Box Office, there will absolutely be a full on line of Nintendo media. I don’t know if they go full connected universe, but there is a LOT of money and brand exposure to be made here.

And really, with all due respect I still feel Illumination is better suited for Nintendo's simpler mascot fare like Mario and DK. I think an Illumination Legend of Zelda movie feels like a stretch, and I can't even imagine properties like Metroid being adapted by them.

I agree that Illumination is best suited for the cartoony properties, and projects like Zelda and Metroid should take a different approach. They basically have their foot in the door now with all the Comcast owned studios though (Universal, Dreamworks, potentially Warner Bros. down the line if rumors are to be trusted).

I agree that Illumination is best suited for the cartoony properties, and projects like Zelda and Metroid should take a different approach. They basically have their foot in the door now with all the Comcast owned studios though (Universal, Dreamworks, potentially Warner Bros. down the line if rumors are to be trusted).

2236254-WakerHD_87234_screen.jpg

Don't forget that Nintendo acquired Dynamo Pictures and rebranded them as Nintendo studios so expect some visual content coming from them down the line. I'd guess something like a Fire Emblem and Pikmin series would fit their wheelhouse.

That's a pretty fascinating development, Moonlight Studios. Maybe a Zelda movie will be their first project given the rumors of a Zelda movie entering production.

Nintendo already is a connected universe though?

I mean besides the occasional cameo/gag here and there, not at all? Most Nintendo series are in their own separate, self contained universes.

The main exception is really just the Mario universe stuff, like DK, Luigi's Mansion, Yoshi and Wario. Which is already what they've seem to be doing with these Mario movies.

I mean besides the occasional cameo/gag here and there, not at all? Most Nintendo series are in their own separate, self contained universes.

The main exception is really just the Mario universe stuff, like DK, Luigi's Mansion, Yoshi and Wario. Which is already what they've seem to be doing with these Mario movies.
Smash and Mario Kart.

I like that Biddybuds are just these little dudes hanging out. Non-aggressive denizens who are just minding their own business, you go little buds.

Always knew the Lumalees were little shits. What kind of normal Luma hangs around waiting for someone to deliver them Star Bits even though they're fucking everywhere in space and regularly crash into galaxies? Someone who is way more devious than you'd think.

Smash and Mario Kart.

Are obviously not a meaningfully connected universe of the characters : smash bros has literally been you're playing as toys of the characters from day 1 and mario kart is obviously similar. Hyrule obviously isn't on the same planet as the mushroom Kingdom whereas DK island is.

But that's a distinction I'm sure you already understood.

So apparently the main Toad in the movie is implied to be Captain Toad?

This movies soundtrack makes all my troubles melt away

In terms of spin offs or sequels. Theres definitely potential for a captain toad movie, and a luigis mansion movie. I think a sequel will be heavily based off of galaxy, but with a twist as waluigi and wario are the villains instead of bowser.

If we're talking about Dynamo / Nintendo Pictures; they're already doing work for the current season of a very important property called Precure.

image.png

I don't think Nintendo content will be an immediate priority over existing obligations / partnerships from before the acquisition.

If we're talking about Dynamo / Nintendo Pictures; they're already doing work for the current season of a very important property called Precure.

image.png

I don't think Nintendo content will be an immediate priority over existing obligations / partnerships from before the acquisition.
I figured they would have finished their contract work before closing the deal. at least it means we can see their name pop up in random places. wonder if Dynamo worked on the ending (those were made in unreal engine with one of the studios)

Say, I'm not the only one to have noticed the "Amazing water" Miiverse meme in the testimonials on the plumbers website ?

I figured they would have finished their contract work before closing the deal. at least it means we can see their name pop up in random places. wonder if Dynamo worked on the ending (those were made in unreal engine with one of the studios)

They've only been credited on Episode 3 and 5 thus far; which feature Cure Precious and Cure Summer cameos, the protagonist Cures from the previous two seasons they did the ending animations for (this is the 20th season so they're treating it like an anniversary celebration). I would assume the CG Production Cooperation credit is for those sequences, so we'll have to see if they continue popping up throughout the season (I imagine they will for the Cure Blossom cameo at a bare minimum).

It is still notable though since their credit on Delicious Party was never updated from Dynamo Pictures to Nintendo Pictures, despite continuing to air past the acquisition and name change; so their work on Hirogaru Sky is 100% post-acquisition.

image.png

Pretty Cure next Smash reveal CONFIRMED! /s

That Luma at the beginning has me hoping for some kind of Rosalina appearance. Maybe as a post credits scene?
Between Peach talking about galaxies in the previous trailer, and now the Luma, there's absolutely no way that Rosalina isn't in the film imo. I'm not even thinking post credit scene personally, straight up think she'll appear in the last third of the film, will save the day on Rainbow Road and bring Mario to Bowser's Castle or something.

So, I am rewatccing that Direct again and why one of the directors said "Jungle Kingdom" lol
They decided to make all worlds in the film kingdoms, to make it like the Mushroom Kingdom. The Penguin Kingdom (or whatever it's called), the Jungle Kingdom... I guess it's kind of taking inspiration of SMB3, in which Bowser invaded all the kingdoms.

Punch-Out
Punch-Out
Punch Out always had ties with the Mario universe.

Mario is the referee in the NES game, and DK is the final boss of the Wii game

It's just a cute nod to that, nothing too serious. They won't do a Smash universe or some shit like that. Well, hopefully anyway. That would be lame.

They have enough to make quite some films with just the Mario universe. A sequel or two, a DK spin-off, could make a Yoshi Island spin-off too, maybe even a Captain Toad or a Luigi's Mansion spin-off. Illumination will be busy in the next decade or so with just that and all their own properties.

Punch-Out
Punch-Out
I can also see Pikmins making a small cameo (they already do in the Super Nintendo World park). Maybe we'll have a new Pikmin short before/after the movie.

I doubt Zelda will be part of this shared universe, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom