• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Super Mario Bros. Movie Pre-Release Discussion Thread (Now releasing April 5th in the US)

Final Worldwide Box Office Predictions

• Less than $300 million (Absolute Flop)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • $300-450 million (in line with other video game adaptations)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • $450-700 million (best video game adaptation, in line with other recent animated films)

Votes: 26 21.0%
  • $700 million-1 billion (higher tier for all but the biggest hits

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • $1-1.3 billion (Top 10 highest grossing animated film of all time, Illumination’s biggest success)

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • $1.3-1.6 billion (Frozen tier)

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • 1.6 billion+ (unseats the Lion King remake as the most successful animated movie of all time)

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me talking with my partner about the Mario movie trailer and getting the dawning realization that the movie characterizations of Mario and Peach are just the generic "bumbling male lead character and hyper-competent female supporting character" pair...Mario gets to have his arc that Peach supports but won't get that much for herself...at least they could have made Mario more happy-go-lucky, less of a generic everyman hero, but they went for the most boring interpretation of this character...had a chance to go in any direction and this is what we get...

I fucking hate it here!!!
I think it's a little too early to assume Peach will get sidelined in terms of character writing. I get the trepidation, but I'm not sure that is the case here.

I think it's a little too early to assume Peach will get sidelined in terms of character writing. I get the trepidation, but I'm not sure that is the case here.
I really want them to prove me wrong, but I have very little faith. This is a gorgeous looking film, but I am not impressed by any aspects of the writing. At best it'll be an alright, if generic take on this whole story. I hope Peach gets to get her arc, and I hope Mario isn't as bad as I see it here.

Looks decent. Hope it makes a billion for other Nintendo IP movies.

Wonder if Luigi the one needed saving and Peach is the side kick in this.

All and all. When’s the Donkey Kong Country film?

I think Mario will act confident, as he thinks he's capable of anything (like going against a giant gorilla), to get to the terrible realization he's not that competent on everything as he thought he was (probably because he got an inflated ego from his successful plumbing job); Peach will be there to encourage him and regathering with Luigi is the end goal to prove himself.

I just hope there is Mario BROTHERS action in the movie, and they are not separated throughout the whole story

I really want them to prove me wrong, but I have very little faith. This is a gorgeous looking film, but I am not impressed by any aspects of the writing. At best it'll be an alright, if generic take on this whole story. I hope Peach gets to get her arc, and I hope Mario isn't as bad as I see it here.
I’m sorta going into it with the same expectations as I did Mario + Rabbids. I know they’re going to respect the IP (under a watchful eye), but I also know my expectations of the use of the characters will be significantly handicapped because of that.

So does Donkey Kong just show up for 5 minutes, beat Mario's ass and then leaves?
I’m guessing it’ll be ~Mario and the main party go around to different kingdoms / galaxies throughout the movie, everyone unites at the end for the big finale, celebratory Mario kart race~

The bad: Pratt's 'wahoo' is depressingly sterile, Peach's voice is whatever and they girlboss-ified her too much

The good: lovely visuals, lots of neat little Easter Eggs, Luigi and Bowser are great, the extended DK crew are getting some cameos, and a possible Mario Galaxy/Rosalina hook.

Safe to say I'm pretty excited. If they even meet half of its potential it's going to be the best Illumination movie since the first Despicable Me lol.

There they are!

FixgEbTXwAAzakn

Seeing the other Kongs makes me feel a lot better about how they're being portrayed in this movie. My guess is Diddy and Dixie will be background cameos without voice acting so they can leave casting open for sequels/DK spin-off.

Holy shit though Swanky?! What a pull lol

Me talking with my partner about the Mario movie trailer and getting the dawning realization that the movie characterizations of Mario and Peach are just the generic "bumbling male lead character and hyper-competent female supporting character" pair...Mario gets to have his arc that Peach supports but won't get that much for herself...at least they could have made Mario more happy-go-lucky, less of a generic everyman hero, but they went for the most boring interpretation of this character...had a chance to go in any direction and this is what we get...

I fucking hate it here!!!
It really is a very similar dynamic to the LEGO Movie isn’t it

DK looks so weird on that poster lmao. Daddy vibes?

Everyone looks great on the trailer, though.

I'm going to be level with you here ...
Yeah, I'm not really expecting much of the movie in this area. Also haven't really been particularly excited, in large part because that's not expected.

Mostly I'm just hoping it's actually good. Maybe it'll surprise.

I guess we'll find out.

It had better not let down the excitement I'm seeing here, though. C'mon, y'all, will it into greatness!

Looks gorgeous. Voices are…not fantastic, overall (Jack Black is great though).

May be the first theater experience for my son.

Temporary avatar change to celebrate the Luigi’s Mansion vibes in Luigi’s arc

fyi don’t zoom in, he has eyelashes you can’t unsee

With so many members of the DK's extended cast being present in this movie, the rumors of solo DKC movie HAS to be true! They're not give much of a screentime for Funky or Swanky (they should though!); It's all a set-up!

Oh, no, I think more and more, people have been able to walk and chew bubblegum in a case like this.

It's just that for the sake of some people who would ALWAYS want to default to "Y U GOTTA BRING POLITICS/HIS PERSONAL BELIEFS INTO THIS?!", it's far easier to convey just how crappy his actual performance is. Then feel free to loop in the other stuff.

Cranky was the Kong monarch sitting on his throne.

It's a change, but I'm getting to like it. I wouldn't mind this type of thing rolling over into the games. Especially if Kremlings are lurking around the corner as a rival "kingdom" for the Kongs!

Yeah, i‘ve seen him. I mean, i did expect retcons, and i dont really care. Its just not the sort of retcon i expected.
I mean, I watched the trailer (and last month's) with my parents and are interested in this stuff and they liked both trailers. My irl friends also liked what they saw of the trailer last month and they aren't even that interested in Mario so Chris Pratt doesn't seem to be doing harm outside of inner video game and movie fan circles from what I can tell.
oh, in my thoughts people here are late 20s up to 50s, watching it with them did not come to my mind.
The Chris prat topic is almost non existing outside of specific circles.

not that im giving a value judgement on it, im rather agnostic.
his church is crap… but then i would need to add my general view of organised religion,
and i feel like that would be a fast way to at least a warning. Im not gonna touch that topic.

Wow, didn't expect this movie to come off about as bad as Sonic's first movie did before it came out. I appreciate the mining of Mario's game history they did for this thing, but the rest of it looks like cheeks.

Peach's voice actor plays her like she's got a pill problem. I think Black and Key are pretty good, but the rest of this seems pretty awful. I'm feeling like kid me felt as the live-action Mario movie got more reveals back in the '90s.

Diddy and Dixie are awesome but I noticed another cameo:

bramball.jpg

Bramball from New Super Mario Bros Wii. I want more weird Mario enemy deep cuts like that.

have you all considered that just like the title of donkey kong is passed down so too is the title of cranky kong
No, the horrors of the Great Ape War were so deep that, having lost his beloved son Jr., the Ape once known as Donkey Kong could bear no other name than Cranky after passing the family title along to his grandson.

I’m not gonna participate in the Pratt debate because it’s pointless. We might as well argue if liking sardines is right or wrong

But I will say I’m hyped for the next 3D DK game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom