• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Super Mario Bros. Movie Pre-Release Discussion Thread (Now releasing April 5th in the US)

Final Worldwide Box Office Predictions

• Less than $300 million (Absolute Flop)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • $300-450 million (in line with other video game adaptations)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • $450-700 million (best video game adaptation, in line with other recent animated films)

Votes: 26 21.0%
  • $700 million-1 billion (higher tier for all but the biggest hits

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • $1-1.3 billion (Top 10 highest grossing animated film of all time, Illumination’s biggest success)

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • $1.3-1.6 billion (Frozen tier)

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • 1.6 billion+ (unseats the Lion King remake as the most successful animated movie of all time)

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know in which streaming service will the movie land on eventually?
Y'all better go and support that movie or else we won't getting nothing anymore lol. They went all out here, if this doesn't perform well they won't greenlight other projects.

I think this has a fair shot at doing well but with video game movies, you never know. Last obstacle is the RT score, if it gets over 70% the movie should be fine and if by wonders it gets over 80%, it could have long legs. Last family movie was Puss in boots 2 which was months ago and didn't do that well with families. MCU movie flopped and there is nothing of competition in sight before or close after release.

A 100+ million opening would be great.

Y'all better go and support that movie or else we won't getting nothing anymore lol. They went all out here, if this doesn't perform well they won't greenlight other projects.

I think this has a fair shot at doing well but with video game movies, you never know. Last obstacle is the RT score, if it gets over 70% the movie should be fine and if by wonders it gets over 80%, it could have long legs. Last family movie was Puss in boots 2 which was months ago and didn't do that well with families. MCU movie flopped and there is nothing of competition in sight before or close after release.

Uhh, just a nitpick, but Puss in Boots grossed 450 million dollars. It's one of the biggest movies to release in 2022. And considering the competition was, you know, freaking Avatar 2, that's a pretty great result.

Uhh, just a nitpick, but Puss in Boots grossed 450 million dollars. It's one of the biggest movies to release in 2022. And considering the competition was, you know, freaking Avatar 2, that's a pretty great result.
Yeah, also launched to massive critical acclaim and fan reception.

There are instances where she doesn't have her hair in a ponytail in the games to be fair.
Fire Flower Peach and Biker Peach they're referencing from 3D World and MK8 both have ponytails

Untitled.png
4cb2f466f91e5ac8a308426f2b41bac6.png

Fire Flower Peach and Biker Peach they're referencing from 3D World and MK8 both have ponytails

Untitled.png
4cb2f466f91e5ac8a308426f2b41bac6.png
Her hair is in a ponytail when she's in her biker outfit now that I've checked. Actually, I'm now realizing that might be the only time she's has her hair in a ponytail in the movie.

Last edited:

Pretty fun interview with the male cast members here, don't think anyone else posted this

EDIT - There are some slight spoilers for the story setup

Puss in boots: the last wish didn't do well? Since when? It's been months and you can even get it on home streaming in Germany now, and yet my local cinema is still showing it twice daily at minimum. It ended up with the 10th highest box office for the year despite launching against avatar.

It's main audience was more adult and less families... it did do well.

I think PIB's problem was mostly just market awareness. I remember seeing the original trailer and thinking it looked shockingly good but didn't even realize the film had come out by the time reception started coming in hot, and it was also a sequel to an 11 year old film. While the legs proved the film a success and that WoM carried it a long way, the Shrek franchise in general had been dormant so there was a lot of growing pains.

No such challenge with Mario, where the marketing is a veritable fire storm and long range tracking is already looking really optimistic (though such estimates are for now only that; long range).

Pretty fun interview with the male cast members here, don't think anyone else posted this

EDIT - There are some slight spoilers for the story setup

Watching this while drinking was a bad idea, water flew everywhere when the bit about Guy Fieri went on.

I can’t really explain it well, but I’m shocked by how well this movie is translating such gamey Mario things into a film, if that makes sense

Like the Mario Kart segment at the end of the last one. I never thought about how you could just take a typical Mario kart race, keep everything about it mechanically and make it a thrilling action setpiece but it just… works. Something that seems so obvious in hindsight, but I was still giddy watching it and realizing it.

Or that one clip from TGA, just translating a Mario platforming section seamlessly to film (with a beautiful score too!)

I could be wrong, but this kinda stuff is likely where Miyamoto was involved most.

I think that kind of attention to detail and embracing the actual game mechanics and leveraging those in the film is what will make this film stand out. It’s not just “okay let’s just make a movie out of these characters and setting”

I think that kind of attention to detail and embracing the actual game mechanics and leveraging those in the film is what will make this film stand out. It’s not just “okay let’s just make a movie out of these characters and setting”

Totally agreed with this.

I still think it's a clever idea to have the training montage literally be Mario trying to clear a 2D platforming level.

In your face? Absolutely.

But I'm  glad that, if nothing else, this movie doesnt appear to be ashamed of being a video game adaptation and is confident enough to wear its trappings on its sleeve.

It's the same reason why I think the first Sonic movie will always hold back its sequels, short of a reboot. I enjoy it a fair bit, but it didn't seem too interested in being a Sonic the Hedgehog movie - just a movie with Sonic the Hedgehog in it.

Regardless of how it turns out, I don't think there's any doubt that this is a Super Mario movie. It's for that reason alone that I really hope it succeeds.

I just got tickets for me and my friends at IMAX on opening day. Still a lot of seats available, but we are a month out still.

I can’t really explain it well, but I’m shocked by how well this movie is translating such gamey Mario things into a film, if that makes sense

Like the Mario Kart segment at the end of the last one. I never thought about how you could just take a typical Mario kart race, keep everything about it mechanically and make it a thrilling action setpiece but it just… works. Something that seems so obvious in hindsight, but I was still giddy watching it and realizing it.

Or that one clip from TGA, just translating a Mario platforming section seamlessly to film (with a beautiful score too!)

I could be wrong, but this kinda stuff is likely where Miyamoto was involved most.

Oh almost definitely.

The directors said that the movie is more an action film than a comedy one which makes all but sense.

I've made a post about it on ERA years ago that if you want to stay true to the Mario games, the movie wouldn't be primarily comedic but rather an action/adventure flick just like the mainline games are action-adventure games. The mainline Mario games have a few funny moments but they are not supposed to be comedic games and that's the part where I'm sure Miyamoto steered the ship hard on.

If not for him, I'm confident this would just be another pure animated comedy flick.

I know it's a silly little thing to hope for, but I love those little blooper reels in animated movies where it's pretending the animated characters goof a line or something while 'filming'. Not sure if Illumination does it with their movies, but I'm thinking of the instances like Pixar does with their movies

I mean, I probably expect the after credits scene hinting at the Nintendo Cinematic Universe more, but bloopers are just a time for dumb comedy even if the movie doesn't have it as the primary focus

I haven't! I was thinking of seeing Scream 6 this week as a test run
Well ymmv but I accidentally saw Sonic 2 in 4DX and it beat me up pretty bad. Like I was physically exhausted by the end from hanging onto my armrests and planting/flexing my legs to the platform, to keep from being tossed out of my chair. They had blowers that'd shoot me in the face with streams of air when things went by the camera, and the sharp snapping movements of the seats were hurting my neck about halfway through. It was pretty extreme.

If you like things like Star Tours you may get a better kick out of it, but for me it was like trying to pay attention to a movie while riding a mechanical bull and having people blow in my face through straws. The most memorable part was when a mom was trying to walk to her seat carrying sodas and popcorn and the seats fired up and bucked during the previews, sending her off her feet with soda and popcorn flying all over the people over two rows. I'm actually genuinely surprised it's a thing theaters are still allowed to do.

..so I guess what you said about a test run would be a good idea. 😅

Well ymmv but I accidentally saw Sonic 2 in 4DX and it beat me up pretty bad. Like I was physically exhausted by the end from hanging onto my armrests and planting/flexing my legs to the platform, to keep from being tossed out of my chair. They had blowers that'd shoot me in the face with streams of air when things went by the camera, and the sharp snapping movements of the seats were hurting my neck about halfway through. It was pretty extreme.

If you like things like Star Tours you may get a better kick out of it, but for me it was like trying to pay attention to a movie while riding a mechanical bull and having people blow in my face through straws. The most memorable part was when a mom was trying to walk to her seat carrying sodas and popcorn and the seats fired up and bucked during the previews, sending her off her feet with soda and popcorn flying all over the people over two rows. I'm actually genuinely surprised it's a thing theaters are still allowed to do.

..so I guess what you said about a test run would be a good idea. 😅
Hah, yeah... I do like things like Star Tours but... I like that they are 5 minutes long lol

Any chance it would beat out Angry Birds 1 as the highest box office animated video game film in the end, and if we're being bullish, beating Warcraft in the video game film department?

I'm actually hoping that that is the case. In fact, it would be poetic if Mario did it because he was the first video game film (so it sold the best by default back then), and then he would take the record back again.

Thank you for reading.

Any chance it would beat out Angry Birds 1 as the highest box office animated video game film in the end, and if we're being bullish, beating Warcraft in the video game film department?

I'm actually hoping that that is the case. In fact, it would be poetic if Mario did it because he was the first video game film (so it sold the best by default back then), and then he would take the record back again.

Thank you for reading.
Mario Movie is going to be the highest grossing video game movie of all time, and it won't be close. The 100 million estimate is just one weekend in the US.

Illumination has only made two movies that grossed less than the top grossing videogame movie worldwide (Warcraft). One was Hop and the other (Slop 2) was basically a photo finish

Thank you for reading.
It has a real shot of being the highest grossing movie of the year. Early tracking is phenomenal.

It will outgross Sonic 2 domestically (and probably worldwide) within a week.

Peach is kicking all sorts of ass, why does she even need mario lol
I know we’ve had these kinds of portrayals of peach before (like the RPGs). But yeah, especially with how big this movie will probably be, it’s gonna be hard for Nintendo to keep doing the traditional kidnapping

I do find it funny how some ( not referring to here) were adamant that Peach would be a damsel in distress in this movie since the beginning and now think that it’s a mistake to have Luigi be the one captive lol. Just admit you were wrong how they would write peach. It’s all cool.

She could still be needing rescuing in the end of the film for all we know

They'll probably just hardwave it by saying that Peach wouldn't be able to deal with the numbers of Bowser's army all on her own.

Or she'll let Mario tag along because he needs to rescue his brother and she trains him to help him do it - because she's sweet like that.

The directors said that 3D World was a big influence on the film's depiction of Peach and one of the earlier trailers more or less lampshades that the Mushroom Kingdom's "forces" are pretty ineffectual, so it's understandable that she'd want Mario's help. Usually my problem with films doing this type of angle -- The Lego Movie and Ant-Man being the guiltiest offenders to immediately come to mind -- is that the woman lead's entire arc is typically about being robbed of the "special chosen one" role (even if you can argue The Lego Movie is deconstructing the whole chosen one trope), but the impression I'm getting from this film so far is less that Peach's competency is downplayed by the plot and more that she's seeking out people who are capable of fighting alongside her. So far it'd seem like Captain Toad and Mario have been the only ones up to task, and that their Jungle Kingdom voyage is there to similarly recruit the Kong clan who are probably the most competent fighters of the bunch.

But yeah I'm not ruling out that she'll be need to be bailed out in the end since we see a lot of clips of her being the only one going up against Bowser's invading fortress. It'd also be lifted straight out of Super Mario Bros. 3, where she's an active ally to the story before the game does the twist that Bowser used the diversion of the main plot to invade the Mushroom Kingdom and kidnap her.

I’m still unsure of the movie’s success. Trailers on Youtube haven’t done amazingly. More on Twitter though, but we’ll see. It is well positioned so it should work out. 70-100 million opening is early estimates and it is possible to change.

I'm not as high on the "It'll reach a billion, guaranteed." train as some people are.

But the opening looks like it'll be strong, and it doesn't have much in the way of direct competition in terms of animated movies.

WOM will be important too, but Illumination seen to be pretty good at marketing across that regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom