• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release The Super Mario Bros. Movie Pre-Release Discussion Thread (Now releasing April 5th in the US)

Final Worldwide Box Office Predictions

• Less than $300 million (Absolute Flop)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • $300-450 million (in line with other video game adaptations)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • $450-700 million (best video game adaptation, in line with other recent animated films)

Votes: 26 21.0%
  • $700 million-1 billion (higher tier for all but the biggest hits

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • $1-1.3 billion (Top 10 highest grossing animated film of all time, Illumination’s biggest success)

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • $1.3-1.6 billion (Frozen tier)

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • 1.6 billion+ (unseats the Lion King remake as the most successful animated movie of all time)

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
For all the people talking about DK and Mario joining forces in a platformer, it's not gonna happen. They're just introducing DK to as wide and mainstream of an audience as possible via the Mario movie to revitalize the DK brand for the upcoming park, DK movie, and the EPD game. Nintendo split the merchandising brands of Mario and Donkey Kong back in 2017 so DK will remain his own brand.

For all the people wanting a Super Smash Bros. movie, this is kind of the beginning of it, because DK and Mario are sister franchises that exist in the same universe. Think Batman and Superman where they exist in separate cities, but cross over all the time.

For all the people talking about DK and Mario joining forces in a platformer, it's not gonna happen. They're just introducing DK to as wide and mainstream of an audience as possible via the Mario movie to revitalize the DK brand for the upcoming park, DK movie, and the EPD game. Nintendo split the merchandising brands of Mario and Donkey Kong back in 2017 so DK will remain his own brand.

For all the people wanting a Super Smash Bros. movie, this is kind of the beginning of it, because DK and Mario are sister franchises that exist in the same universe. Think Batman and Superman where they exist in separate cities, but cross over all the time.
I mean...to be fair the Mario vs Donkey Kong games are technically this.

I mean...to be fair the Mario vs Donkey Kong games are technically this.
I agree. Mario and DK share this lineage with kind of their own ongoing series being DK, DK Jr., DK 94, and the Mario vs. DK series which I wouldn't mind seeing come back and it very well could come back. Just a straight up crossover where Mario and DK are playable in each other's games won't happen unless it's of the Mario vs. DK branding. If it does come back, I just hope DK's playable because it's basically a DK game in name only. Would be cool if the Mario levels played like the original Donkey Kong and the DK levels played like DK Jr. That'd be great.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that the Rainbow Road is a trap laid out by Bowser to stall the heroes while he invades the Mushroom Kingdom. The Fire DK segment has to come very late into the movie, as it takes place in Mushroom City. Given that the whole movie is based around exploring the world, it would make no sense to come back to MC just to leave again. Luigi will be at the end of the Rainbow Road, but Bowser won't be there.

Poor Wario is the ugly duckling, with seemingly no references in the movie, no new Land games in development, and Mario spin-offs almost always pretending that WarioWare does not exist.

Poor Wario is the ugly duckling, with seemingly no references in the movie, no new Land games in development, and Mario spin-offs almost always pretending that WarioWare does not exist.
My hope is that Wario, Waluigi, Daisy, Rosalina and Yoshi will be heavily featured in a sequel. My thinking is that since there's allegedly a DK solo movie in the works, a huge goal of this movie is to sell audiences on DK as a character and his world in order to successfully set up the DK film.

Since DK's so heavily featured, I don't think there's enough screen time for the aforementioned characters. However, setting up DK won't be an issue in a sequel and these characters would make awesome additions to a Super Mario Bros. 2 movie. Plus, you gotta have sequel bait and those characters would make great sequel bait.

My hope is that Wario, Waluigi, Daisy, Rosalina and Yoshi will be heavily featured in a sequel. My thinking is that since there's allegedly a DK solo movie in the works, a huge goal of this movie is to sell audiences on DK as a character and his world in order to successfully set up the DK film.

Since DK's so heavily featured, I don't think there's enough screen time for the aforementioned characters. However, setting up DK won't be an issue in a sequel and these characters would make awesome additions to a Super Mario Bros. 2 movie. Plus, you gotta have sequel bait and those characters would make great sequel bait.

Waluigi definitely won't be, given they've already got a Luma in the film as well as other things, it does seem like galaxy is going to be the follow up though. Daisy probably won't either; both her and waluigi are completely irrelevant in the games outside of needing a doubles partner in tennis and that won't change for the films.

Just realized the “whatever you guys are” is totally gonna be a spiny name origin joke and bowser’s gonna be like “y’all have spiked? we’ll just call you spinies i guess”

Watch Bowser forgetting what Spinies are be his downfall at the end of the movie lol. He'll have Mario on the ropes only for the Spinies to rebel against him, giving Mario an opening to defeat him.

Surprisingly short trailer, but an awesome one. The fam and i will be seeing this day one.

Also, can confirm in the german version, everyone still has their regular german VA's.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie Industry Box Office Projections: 75 to 105 million dollars domestic opening weekend. Biggest animated movie since Frozen 2 and Minions 2.

The Super Mario Bros. Movie Industry Box Office Projections: 75 to 105 million dollars domestic opening weekend. Biggest animated movie since Frozen 2 and Minions 2.

more-kylo-ren.gif

I'm really curious why they're holding off to show Foreman Spike! He's the only character with an announced actor (besides Martinet) yet to appear! We've seen very little of Kamek and Cranky too, but at least we've seen them at all... and Spike is particularly exciting, because that will be his first modern appearence in ages, so even the design will be brand new!

ALSO... we've seen Pauline in the leaked poster.. and I doubt they'll brush her presence off like it's nothing; She'll need to play some role in the Brooklyn part of the movie..

Anyway, just got to the realization that Fire (Mini) Donkey Kong was already a thing before the movie ~

FkR_sjtWYAECx78.jpg

I like the visuals of the movie but I still don't like the generic humor that every animation movie of the last 10 years has. For me this kind of humor doesn't fit the Mario franchise

I don't know, to me most of the jokes are pretty much in line with the silly/nonsensical/sarcastic humor we get on the Paper Mario/Mario RPG games. The physical comedy is whatever, but the jokes are great.

I do find it odd Bowser wouldn't know a Spiny since they are both turtles with spikes on them.

I think it's a meta joke because spinys are mostly known as those "things" Lakitu throws, most people don't refer to them by name. Also everybody says "blue shell" instead of "spiny shell".

I like the visuals of the movie but I still don't like the generic humor that every animation movie of the last 10 years has. For me this kind of humor doesn't fit the Mario franchise
That was about my feeling watching the trailer. Stuff like "oh heres the cute star saying creepy things and as if that werent funny enough heres the penguin explaining why its funny and then we end the scene on a AAWWW CMMOOONN" just feels so shit. Though I presume that the major mission of this film is appealing to kids that don't really play Mario games yet and leading their parents to take heed when said kids ask for the games so taking that tone is likely by design.

I don't know, to me most of the jokes are pretty much in line with the silly/nonsensical/sarcastic humor we get on the Paper Mario/Mario RPG games. The physical comedy is whatever, but the jokes are great.

I'd even argue the slapstick is in line with Mario RPGs - specifically the Mario & Luigi games.

I thought Lumalee was delightful 🤷‍♂️

He's the only character with an announced actor (besides Martinet) yet to appear!
I think we heard Charles in this trailer. Sounded like he was doing some extra voice work for Mario (his iconic wahoos, yipees and what have you.)

EDIT: To specify…what I thought could be Charles was the “ha-haaa” at 0:49 of the trailer. I’m probably wrong, but either way, it sounds right!

Last edited:
I think we heard Charles in this trailer. Sounded like he was doing some voice work for Mario (his iconic wahoos, yipees and what have you.)
Doubt it was Charles doing that since we know Chris Pratt has been doing the 'wahoos' and 'yipees' and whatnot. It makes sense why Pratt sounds better now since earlier trailers vs the final trailers have different voice recordings.

Doubt it was Charles doing that since we know Chris Pratt has been doing the 'wahoos' and 'yipees' and whatnot. It makes sense why Pratt sounds better now since earlier trailers vs the final trailers have different voice recordings.
Fair enough, could be Chris, and if it is Chris at 0:49 in the trailer (and not Charles,) then I think he’s doing a pretty solid job nailing some of what makes Mario sound iconic.

Last edited:
Tickets bought!

Sadly, I'll be watching on the 6th though, it's my day off,

gotta be dodging spoilers until then!

Got the tickets for the fam and me ... been a while since i was last in cinema, but boy, 15 bucks per ticket for us adults and my eldest one sure is something.

I get the feeling Lumalee will die in the film.

I also hear I'm fun to be around at parties.

Do you, per chance, have the notion to say things like "The only hope is the sweet relief of death." and similar stuff at parties?

"This is John with News Channel 4 and we're here at the theater as hundreds of fans wait in line for the premiere of The Super Mario Bros movie. Families are here with there children and many of them are playing their Nintendo Switches as they wait for the doors to open. Let's go ask to see what they are playing. Hi, I'm John with News Channel 4. What's your name?"

"I'm Brian"

"Hello Brian. And what are you playing on your Nintendo Switch?"

"I'm playing uhhh...Mario Kart. I play with it my brother a lot"

"That's cool Brian. And what is your name?"

"I'm Kelly"

"Hello Kelly. And what your playing?"

"I am playing mmmm Mario Odyssey. You can uhh jump and throw your hat. It's very fun"

"Thank you Kelly. And oh my, you're a big boy. Tell me son, what is your name?"

"I'm Steve and I've been a Nintendo fan for over 30 years! I'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles 3 on my Nintendo Switch OLED! It's made by the geniuses at Monolithsoft located in Tokyo, Japan. It's a very deep game about war and life and it what it means to live to fight and fight to live. The combat mechanics are complex but offer a lot of room for mastery. The soundtrack is composed by the underappreciated Yasunori Mitsuda who did the soundtracks for games like Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Shadow Hear...."

"Thank you Steve. And that's our reporting live from the premiere of the Super Mario Bros Mov..."

"SHOUT OUT TO FAMIB...."

"Back to you Jim and Brittany at the front desk"

What’s your guys thoughts on the cast since this is our last trailer and our last chance to critique the cast before seeing the movie?

I think Chris Pratt actually sounds pretty good. I prefer the Brooklyn origin myself so hearing his Brooklyn accent makes me happy. I feel people’s opinions on him have swayed since I haven’t heard any negative criticism on his voice recently.

I think most agree that Jack Black and Charlie Day are excellent. KMK is pretty good too. Kevin Michael Richardson sounds pretty cool too as Kamek.

I think Seth Rogen’s pretty good as DK. Even if he’s just doing his regular voice, I think his natural voice fits DK.

Anya Taylor Joy as Peach is fine. It’s funny that all that complaining about her being a “girl boss” has also died down a bit.

Pretty much everyone sounds good to me but I’ve still apprehensive about Cranky

"This is John with News Channel 4 and we're here at the theater as hundreds of fans wait in line for the premiere of The Super Mario Bros movie. Families are here with there children and many of them are playing their Nintendo Switches as they wait for the doors to open. Let's go ask to see what they are playing. Hi, I'm John with News Channel 4. What's your name?"

"I'm Brian"

"Hello Brian. And what are you playing on your Nintendo Switch?"

"I'm playing uhhh...Mario Kart. I play with it my brother a lot"

"That's cool Brian. And what is your name?"

"I'm Kelly"

"Hello Kelly. And what your playing?"

"I am playing mmmm Mario Odyssey. You can uhh jump and throw your hat. It's very fun"

"Thank you Kelly. And oh my, you're a big boy. Tell me son, what is your name?"

"I'm Steve and I've been a Nintendo fan for over 30 years! I'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles 3 on my Nintendo Switch OLED! It's made by the geniuses at Monolithsoft located in Tokyo, Japan. It's a very deep game about war and life and it what it means to live to fight and fight to live. The combat mechanics are complex but offer a lot of room for mastery. The soundtrack is composed by the underappreciated Yasunori Mitsuda who did the soundtracks for games like Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Shadow Hear...."

"Thank you Steve. And that's our reporting live from the premiere of the Super Mario Bros Mov..."

"SHOUT OUT TO FAMIB...."

"Back to you Jim and Brittany at the front desk"
how could you do @chocolate_supra like this

I’m skeptical struggling entrepreneur Mario could afford himself a pair of custom hand made red wing boots, but they are quite nice.

Guess the Mario brothers are draining their client's bank accounts after all, contrary to what their ad states!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom