• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release The Super Mario Bros. Movie Pre-Release Discussion Thread (Now releasing April 5th in the US)

Final Worldwide Box Office Predictions

• Less than $300 million (Absolute Flop)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • $300-450 million (in line with other video game adaptations)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • $450-700 million (best video game adaptation, in line with other recent animated films)

Votes: 26 21.0%
  • $700 million-1 billion (higher tier for all but the biggest hits

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • $1-1.3 billion (Top 10 highest grossing animated film of all time, Illumination’s biggest success)

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • $1.3-1.6 billion (Frozen tier)

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • 1.6 billion+ (unseats the Lion King remake as the most successful animated movie of all time)

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it weird that Bowser is the character I'm most excited to see?

And then you have Jack Black playing Bowser — and we decided to make that character scary, but the other side of Bowser is somebody who’s vulnerable and funny, and Jack is able to play both those parts and make it not seem like two different characters.

Is it weird that Bowser is the character I'm most excited to see?

It's the Jack Black magic. For me, it's basically a casting on the level of Chris Evans as Steve Rogers or RDJ as Tony Stark.

They should've cast Kyle Gass as Kamek for those perfect banter talks between Bowser and Kamek.

I hope for the (all but confirmed) sequel(s), they go all out on good VAs.
Like ... imagine a King Boo voiced by Mark Hamill.

Fun Fact: I today learned that the German dub was directed by Björn Schalla who did also the German dub for the Marvel movies.

So one more reason to be excited about the German dub.

Fun Fact: I today learned that the German dub was directed by Björn Schalla who did also the German dub for the Marvel movies.

So one more reason to be excited about the German dub.

I think the german VA's do a good job. And it's GOOD that the decision makers went with everyone's regular german VA instead of going for celebrities.

Pratt's german VA's voice is a little higher pitched than Pratt himself, and it really fits for Mario.
And Black's VA really goes all in just as Black does for Bowser, going all deep and scratchy voiced.

I think the german VA's do a good job. And it's GOOD that the decision makers went with everyone's regular german VA instead of going for celebrities.

Pratt's german VA's voice is a little higher pitched than Pratt himself, and it really fits for Mario.
And Black's VA really goes all in just as Black does for Bowser, going all deep and scratchy voiced.
I‘m still a bit pessimistic in that regard. Let‘s hope that the upcoming last trailer is the final confirmation for the voice actors.

I‘m still a bit pessimistic in that regard. Let‘s hope that the upcoming last trailer is the final confirmation for the voice actors.

Nah, i doubt that they've swapped VAs anytime since the first trailer back in 2022. Especially because if they would've went for some german celebrities, it would've been done in order to get more publicity for the movie. So if they were to use celebs instead of the regular VAs, they would've shouted it from the rooftops since the first marketing push.

Not to say that it's always bad if celebs are used as VAs, there's a few that are actually good at it. See Fahri Yardim.

This my position with the French dub. It's perfect right now, but only this final trailer will confirm whether they changed it or not.

Really hope the french dub will keep the same voice actors for the movie. We suffered so much with horrendous star """talent""" (Sonic, Ratchet & Clank...).

• be me
  • living in Europe
  • when the movie was first shown they said it will come March 22nd here
  • finally Europe getting some love from Nintendo
  • date was then pushed to April 6th (so at least still ahead of US launch)
  • then the date was moved to April 5th in US
  • so in the end from 12 days ahead of US to getting it even day later than US

• be me
  • living in Europe
  • when the movie was first shown they said it will come March 22nd here
  • finally Europe getting some love from Nintendo
  • date was then pushed to April 6th (so at least still ahead of US launch)
  • then the date was moved to April 5th in US
  • so in the end from 12 days ahead of US to getting it even day later than US
On a related note, I never understood why Sonic had such a staggered release schedule.

I saw the Mario movie initially taking that route and just kinda figured this is a standard, but now I see Mario making effort to align all the days except for Japan for whatever reason.

Why did Sonic have to have early showings in other countries (especially Japan) when they could have all the premieres closer to each other.

Oh well. Not like I know that much about theatrical distribution.

On a related note, I never understood why Sonic had such a staggered release schedule.

I saw the Mario movie initially taking that route and just kinda figured this is a standard, but now I see Mario making effort to align all the days except for Japan for whatever reason.

Why did Sonic have to have early showings in other countries (especially Japan) when they could have all the premieres closer to each other.

Oh well. Not like I know that much about theatrical distribution.
staggered is the norm. aligning so many regions like this is a real show of force

My work is holding me a half hour later than normal for a meeting so I might not see this live.

What are the odds of tickets going on sale after the trailer drops?
Could happen. Theaters are apparently setting times already, and if there’s a crowd that loves to watch big events and then go preorder, it’s the Nintendo crowd.

• All the main cast makes the brief one last appearance
  • Chris Meledandri also showing up
  • Miyamoto pressing that start button for one last time
  • please Miyamoto, wear the Pikmin shirt in this, that would be 10/10 move but even if not the classic Miyamoto shirt changing will happen
  • maybe even directors or the composer appearing (?)
    Miyamoto will say something more about Mario lore or meme worthy, like last time "in my neighborhood there is a cat named Mario and a dog named Koopa"
  • "That's all for today, see you next month in movie theaters for Mario's next adventure", Miyamoto waving while the screen goes black. He never just bowing like Koizumi/Takahashi he always does his handsome waving.
  • around 10 minutes in length

Last edited:
The theater at my work already has the times set up (and nearly every showing is in 3D or 3D Audio-Enhanced), so I'm pretty sure tickets are going on sale after this.

• please Miyamoto, wear the Pikmin shirt in this, that would be 10/10 move but even if not the classic Miyamoto shirt changing will happen
  • "That's all for today, see you next month in movie theaters for Mario's next adventure", Miyamoto waving while the screen goes black. He never just bows like Koizumi/Takahashi he always does his handsome waving.
“And one more thing!”
  • movie shadow drops, exclusively on Wii U

Has there been even a single piece of Foreman Spike merchandise yet?

You turn on the Direct but the first you see is

eiji-aonuma.jpg

Miyamoto will say something more about Mario lore or meme worthy, like last time "in my neighborhood there is a cat named Mario and a dog named Koopa"
  • "That's all for today, see you next month in movie theaters for Mario's next adventure", Miyamoto waving while the screen goes black. He never just bowing like Koizumi/Takahashi he always does his handsome waving.
pretty spot on. Cast appeared, Melenadri and Directors too and Mario Boots are a meme. Thank you.

I think it looks fantastic. Can't wait. That Mario Kart clips were so awesome!

I'm a little less bothered by Chris Pratt's Mario voice. I still don't think he's a good actor, but I think with this trailer I finally 'bought' it, so to speak.

This movie looks amazing, I’m very impressed whenever they show new footage, some of those scenes were some of the best yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom