• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I'm most curious about is to learn what exactly the sky islands are.

Could it really be the Sacred Realm itself? The golden hue and trees seems to point to that, or is just some hidden civilization?

I forget, there has not been any game where we actually explored the Sacred Realm itself right? I feel like one 2D game and Ocarina of Time gave the tiniest of glimpses. That would be pretty neat if this was the Sacred Realm and if it's existence is being threatened.

• The Dark World is a corrupted Sacred Realm
  • The Chamber of Sages in OoT/ALBW is in the Temple of Light in the Sacred Realm
  • ALBW shows the Sacred Realm:
E12sspHXoAIUWKQ.jpg
Sacred_Realm_%28Hyrule%29.png

Those are all the detailed appearances of the Sacred Realm so far, aside from artistic depictions of a 'golden land with a Triforce'.

We never did get to explore it, proper.

It would be wild if the Zonai's disappearance was them ascending to the Sacred Realm, which is a plane of existence that overlaps Hyrule. So the Sky Islands are both the Zonai kingdom and the Sacred Realm, or contains portals to it. I think there must be some connection with the Shinto and Zen influence.

I'm not really convinced the Sky is the Sacred Realm. We've had plenty of games with areas set in the sky, and the sky area in this game seems to be in the same physical plane as Hyrule, so if the Sacred Realm plays a role it's likely only something that we can access through portals within the sky.

Anyone else think the GrPl will get flooded possibly or at least the nearby area? They did that in SS with Faron Forest so I could see that happening as a drastic way to change the environment.

I'm not really convinced the Sky is the Sacred Realm. We've had plenty of games with areas set in the sky, and the sky area in this game seems to be in the same physical plane as Hyrule, so if the Sacred Realm plays a role it's likely only something that we can access through portals within the sky.
I agree, the sky islands are like a staging area, or waiting room of sorts to enter into the sacred realm. In Japan the Shinto shrines are a place dedicated to the gods where you goto communicate with them, but it’s not actually their realm. It is indeed considered a sacred place of worship, but Gods exist on higher plane and would be one Link would have to travel to if deemed worthy type of thing.

Less than 4 months until release. Marketing still hasn't geared up. Pick your poison:

1. IT"S GETTING ANOTHER DELAY AND IS NEVER COMING OUT
  2. Switch 2 x Zelda blowout in February baybee!
  3. Zelda direct a month before release just like Splatoon 3. Muppets everywhere stressed out but game releases just fine and sells gangbusters.
My head says 3. My heart says 2. My cortisol gland says 1.

I could see #3 happening, but I don't think we'll get past Feb without a general direct and I don't think we'll get past that without a big Zelda trailer, kicking off the marketing and officially opening the preorders.

The sky is probably just a new take on Skyward Sword's sky. TotK seems to have a strong similarities to Skyward Sword in general. We have the same goal of finding Zelda after getting separated and forging the Master Sword. Even the music in the 2nd trailer is more reminiscent of Skyward Sword compared to BotW. Actually now that I'm looking at it more closely, Ganondorf's design seems to take a lot of inspiration from Demise. I wonder if SS has more influence on TotK than previously thought.

Also time travel is an important part of Skyward Sword 🤔

I’ve been looking at the trailer a bit more and noticed something interesting. The glowing drawings on the ground are very interesting because I wonder what gameplay purpose do they serve to glow and be so big?

Well, it must definitely be so you can see them from high up and far away. But why?

Well, one reason is the obvious inspiration: the Nazca Lines. These seem to have been made as appeals to the gods, things to admire from the heavens, and they were also related to getting their blessing in the form of rainfall (tears?)

A gameplay connection I can see is definitely the towers and shrines. In BOTW, the shrines and towers glow, and the towers are very big and tall. If you have extreme verticality in the sequel though, these pictures are more discernible than any tower for sure though.

In my eyes, these drawings must be the replacement for towers. Not necessarily to get a vantage point or teleport to, but as a gameplay element while you unlock the map. It’s also worth mentioning that these drawings are roughly the same distance from each other as the towers were sometimes.

When watching the trailer, notice how you don’t really see any islands above these drawings. Also, link just dropped from one island to head to this drawing. If the point of the game is somewhat to explore the sky, the logical explanation is that link is going to unlock more islands above there.

Sorry for no images, I’m writing this on my phone. Perhaps I’ll update it later or someone who gets what I mean can show.

I hope the sky is not the only inspiration they got from Skyward Sword. Hopefully the Timeshift Stones make a comeback in a big way too.

Using Timeshift Stones would actually fulfill many people's dreams of seeing those destroyed BotW settlements restored to how they used to be. It could also be used to change segments of the map so it doesn't feel like you're exploring the same terrain again.

The fun thing is that they certainly have all the building blocks for the ideas we have or have seen in other games since they usually had them before in the older Zelda games or made the inspirations for that thing we've seen in other games in some form. This is why I don't envy them when they have to pick and choose when deciding what they want to make that will ultimately have to please so many people with so many different expectations built up over literal decades now.

I’ve been looking at the trailer a bit more and noticed something interesting. The glowing drawings on the ground are very interesting because I wonder what gameplay purpose do they serve to glow and be so big?

Well, it must definitely be so you can see them from high up and far away. But why?

Well, one reason is the obvious inspiration: the Nazca Lines. These seem to have been made as appeals to the gods, things to admire from the heavens, and they were also related to getting their blessing in the form of rainfall (tears?)

A gameplay connection I can see is definitely the towers and shrines. In BOTW, the shrines and towers glow, and the towers are very big and tall. If you have extreme verticality in the sequel though, these pictures are more discernible than any tower for sure though.

In my eyes, these drawings must be the replacement for towers. Not necessarily to get a vantage point or teleport to, but as a gameplay element while you unlock the map. It’s also worth mentioning that these drawings are roughly the same distance from each other as the towers were sometimes.

When watching the trailer, notice how you don’t really see any islands above these drawings. Also, link just dropped from one island to head to this drawing. If the point of the game is somewhat to explore the sky, the logical explanation is that link is going to unlock more islands above there.

Sorry for no images, I’m writing this on my phone. Perhaps I’ll update it later or someone who gets what I mean can show.
I think your onto the right path and many of these could be the case but I also think it’s much more broader with the green energy as it appears to be everywhere from the seal on GannonDorf, to the arm, to what is powering the green golem and shield fire breathing weapon Link uses, to the swirls coming up from the ground, to the Nazca lines, to the vials on Links hip and even the energy that completes the end of the Master Sword. It’s all going to tie together once we get more information and make sense and It will most likely be a representation of Link and courage.

Many speculate it’s the Zonai or an un-known tribe that are the ones related to Link and\or represent courage. Just like in BotW we had blue energy everywhere which was representative of wisdom and the Sheikah and was more geared towards Zelda.
Reaching a bit, but I could see the energy also relating to that specific part of the tri-force and is more prevalent in this game because of this. Zelda is able to un-lock her powers so blue energy made sense for BotW. Most speculate including myself that the Sheikah tech is no longer in the game in TotK because it simply is not needed anymore and the towers revert back into the ground, but if Zelda is taken out early on in the game, perhaps the mysterious blue energy disappears along with her? My thought process for this is because the blue energy is thought to be an ancient energy, but its source remains a mystery. And Zelda passes her powers through her bloodline as a reincarnation of Hylia so it would make sense that the blue energy has remained a constant over time.

Op
Less than 4 months until release. Marketing still hasn't geared up. Pick your poison:

3. Zelda direct a month before release just like Splatoon 3. Muppets everywhere stressed out but game releases just fine and sells gangbusters.
Option 4: LAUNCHING WITH SWITCH 3 IN FEBRUARY 2023.

I think you’re on the right track. The question we should be asking is: what gameplay opportunities does reusing the surface world have with the sky? Being able to go up high enough to spot new things on the ground is probably fundamental to the exploration loop. And I’m wondering if vice versa is also true.

When Nintendo shows their next Direct, I think TotK is going to be their big opener this time. The Direct closer should be something else that actually surprises people, a TotK closer wouldn't be a surprise.

When Nintendo shows their next Direct, I think TotK is going to be their big opener this time. The Direct closer should be something else that actually surprises people, a TotK closer wouldn't be a surprise.
They would never start Direct with TotK, that's not the way to go. But I agree that they would likely not make it a closer (but again, it's been closer for a three times.) I think they will show TotK and then game after that will be a closer.

I think we’re gonna get one more trailer. One actual gameplay demonstration, but no demo. Then a launch trailer and commercials. I don’t expect a dedicated Zelda direct. It doesn’t make sense to take a game about exploration and discovery and then go into heavy detail on it over the course of a half hour direct. Then beyond that I think press previews will be all we get for info closer to launch. I think all that should be more than enough to market it.

A new Story Trailer with Gameplay Segment who is longer than 1:30 min would be appreciated, but for god sake, show us more!

Next Direct. We'll get that plus the reveal and official announcement of the Special Edition OLED.

Still expecting/waiting/betting on number 2, but if not, number 3 for sure.

Doubt about number 1.

I agree, but the thing is that we saw wooden trees on the sides of sky islands, if you would apply the hookshot there it would destroy the idea completely (at least early in the game).
I don't think any hookshot should be that long it could reach up to the sky islands

I was just looking at that island last night, at first I almost thought it was a ship in the sea because it’s so far out and lines up nicely, like it is in the water. Then I was thinking its an island flipped upside down because it’s nothing else like the other islands, but even that doesn’t work with its shape. I guess it resembles a stable some what but that would kind of infer we might need to register flying mounts possibly and I don’t see us getting one until possibly the very end as a type of bonus like the master cycle.
i‘m hoping there’s all kinds of strange shaped objects floating in the sky besides just islands and rocks that keep the sky feeling like we need to discover every nook and cranny like in BotW.

Last edited:
i wonder if any of the towns from BotW will be completely destroyed or removed rather than expanded

They would never start Direct with TotK, that's not the way to go. But I agree that they would likely not make it a closer (but again, it's been closer for a three times.) I think they will show TotK and then game after that will be a closer.

The problem with there being one game after it is that the thing that follows it afterwards is going to be completely lost in the afterglow of TOTK, unless it's for a completely different audience like, I dunno, something akin to Animal crossing or style savvy. Unlikely that AC shows up again this soon outside of like, virtual console/NSO rereleases, and style savvy as a direct closer would be absolutely hilarious.

big jesus toast energy

The problem with there being one game after it is that the thing that follows it afterwards is going to be completely lost in the afterglow of TOTK, unless it's for a completely different audience like, I dunno, something akin to Animal crossing or style savvy. Unlikely that AC shows up again this soon outside of like, virtual console/NSO rereleases, and style savvy as a direct closer would be absolutely hilarious.
this is what the montages are for. you do the big splash game and you cut back to Aonuma/Fujibayashi to say a sentence more à la "we put our all into this, we are trying to do [broad game concept], we hope you give it a try in a few months!" then you cut to Takahashi doing his "how are you enjoying it so far, here are a few more titles coming to switch soon" with a random third party/indie mashup montage before you move onto Kirby Air Ride 2.

Not sure how people behave on this in general but with me is exactly the contrary. If I'm expecting is to see a Zelda or Mario game all the other announcements become a nuisance and I don't pay much attention on things I could like. After a Zelda trailer I get relaxed and ready to enjoy the rest of the annoucements....XD

I don't know if this has been spotted before, since I've not been following the hype, but over on the Nintendo UK website every game has a Details tab. Of all the "Coming soon" games I checked there, the only one that doesn't specify the number of players is ToTK.

I don't know if this has been spotted before, since I've not been following the hype, but over on the Nintendo UK website every game has a Details tab. Of all the "Coming soon" games I checked there, the only one that doesn't specify the number of players is ToTK.

well realistically you gotta remember that everything else is a done deal that is properly announced or (in Cereza's case, was even partially playable in bayo3's tease) has had actual gameplay trailers out there or is a remaster (kirby). TotK is still in the state of its last showing where it has had still NO details out there about its gameplay other than what we can visually see (isn't even detailed in text anywhere). The TotK page is still in is basic state until they show any actual gameplay. Note also that it's just ... not there. It's not even TBD like with Pikmin. Sometimes they just leave out things like even the developer after a game's first reveal when the pages are created in the CMS.

If3niS6.png

aka "it's nothing" (yet) aka "don't read into this"

well realistically you gotta remember that everything else is a done deal that is properly announced or (in Cereza's case, was even partially playable in bayo3's tease) has had actual gameplay trailers out there or is a remaster (kirby). TotK is still in the state of its last showing where it has had still NO details out there about its gameplay other than what we can visually see (isn't even detailed in text anywhere). The TotK page is still in is basic state until they show any actual gameplay. Note also that it's just ... not there. It's not even TBD like with Pikmin. Sometimes they just leave out things like even the developer after a game's first reveal when the pages are created in the CMS.
You're totally right, I just found this interesting and a glimmer of hope for some kind of multiplayer whether online or local

You're totally right, I just found this interesting and a glimmer of hope for some kind of multiplayer whether online or local
Until they say no, the yes is still floating around in the air somewhere :D (I'm just wary because some people occasionally like to take the absence of a thing as definitive proof of something^^)

Starting a Direct with Zelda would be awesome because everything after would just be a cherry on top

This is the best-case scenario (aside from a game-specific direct). Ending a direct on Zelda again would be a letdown, I miss the unexpected 1 more things

TotK will be the last thing just like BotW was last at the Switch presentation in 2017 (if it doesn't get a seperate thing which is possible).

The next thing will be a blow-out, it's all people are gonna talk about.

Until they say no, the yes is still floating around in the air somewhere :D (I'm just wary because some people occasionally like to take the absence of a thing as definitive proof of something^^)
Looking at the Pikmin 4 image again... the data is not absent, it's "TBD", whereas on TOTK the field is omitted altogether. Nintendo knows a TBD for TOTK would be smoke. Even thought I agree with what you're saying, I still find it curious.

How 'bout: Link gets burninated, patched up by the mural's Owl Person, wakes up, doesn't know how along he's been asleep this time, goes down to Hyrule and nobody remembers him. Towns have sprung up and others have disappeared. "Castle? We've never had a castle."

On one hand: it's another Nintendo Big Red Reset Button. On the other hand, it opens everything back up again and is also kinda hilarious xD .

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this! The markings on the ground has been one of my biggest head-scratchers recently. Your theory is plausible.

Using Timeshift Stones would actually fulfill many people's dreams of seeing those destroyed BotW settlements restored to how they used to be. It could also be used to change segments of the map so it doesn't feel like you're exploring the same terrain again.

Not sure about Timeshift Stones, but maybe the arm ability could revert buildings into their former, whole state? It seems to be able to rewind objects very, very far into the "past", with the rising boulder into the sky in Teaser #3. That boulder must've been there for a very long time.

Looking at the Pikmin 4 image again... the data is not absent, it's "TBD", whereas on TOTK the field is omitted altogether. Nintendo knows a TBD for TOTK would be smoke. Even thought I agree with what you're saying, I still find it curious.

that's why I said:
Note also that it's just ... not there. It's not even TBD like with Pikmin. Sometimes they just leave out things like even the developer after a game's first reveal when the pages are created in the CMS.
:)

I need this game’s file size to be 20GB. It’s an itch that needs to be scratched
begging you to not be that person that equates file size with content amounts or quality. filesizes are meaningless (unless we're versions of the same software across multiple formats, obviously). massive games can be relatively tiny. compact games can be huge because of asset bloat or bad optimization.

that's why I said:

:)

begging you to not be that person that equates file size with content amounts or quality. filesizes are meaningless (unless we're versions of the same software across multiple formats, obviously). massive games can be relatively tiny. compact games can be huge because of asset bloat or bad optimization.
I’m not! It would just feel satisfying to me lol.

My number one worry with this game is enemy variety. That was one of BOTW’s biggest weaknesses and with them using the same world I have my doubts they will add many new ones. It’s sad cause a lot of awesome and iconic enemies are missing, we don’t even have peahats or full (regular) stalfos

I want to see Dark Nuts in the Breath of the wild style so bad.

That was one of BOTW’s biggest weaknesses and with them using the same world I have my doubts they will add many new ones.
I don't see why, we don't know the context of what's happening in Hyrule and the Sky Islands and we've already seen at least two new enemies.

I don't see why, we don't know the context of what's happening in Hyrule and the Sky Islands and we've already seen at least two new enemies.
The new enemies… don’t exactly inspire confidence for me yet. One looks like it might not even be an enemy (we have no idea) and the other looks like just a bigger version of Keese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom