• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d still love to hear more about what people think of the leaks so I can live vicariously through them though. 😅
Every single thing I’ve seen looks damn great. There’s nothing that outright confirms or denies game mechanics, but still my mind reels at some of the possibilities they suggest.

Let me say, I was unable to block Famiboards from Chrome in iOS. Seems the setting only applies to Safari and I’m not using that nonsense. I’ll look for another way in the interim.

I have managed to avoid looking at the leaks so far, but something did pop into my head as I was thinking about the game. Apologies in advance if this is a totally uninteresting question for all of you enlightened individuals but: what if the different head weapons heads on monsters are also a tell for some kind of “weapon triangle” system in the game?

Degradation is often the highlight of Breath of the Wild combat discourse, but the game also didn’t do much to incentivize different weapon types over the course of the game other than elementals. Zelda isn’t going full action game, and it never should in my opinion, but at least this way you’ve got one more layer to the engagement.

Last edited:
Let me say, I was unable to block Famiboards from Chrome in iOS. Seems the setting only applies to Safari and I’m not using that nonsense. I’ll look for another way in the interim.

I have managed to avoid looking at the leaks so far, but something did pop into my head as I was thinking about the game. Apologies in advance if this is a totally uninteresting question for all of you enlightened individuals but: what if the different head weapons heads on monsters are also a tell for some kind of “weapon triangle” system in the game?

Degradation is often the highlight of Breath of the Wild discourse, but the game also didn’t do much to incentivize different weapon types over the course of the game other than elementals. Zelda isn’t going full action game, and it never should in my opinion, but at least this way you’ve got one more layer to the engagement.

I've seen 7 photos, and your question is answered on like the 5th photo, FYI. In Meelow's thread, his first post shows 7 photos, I kind of regret looking at even those photos, because I felt that the 4th photo was possibly a spoiler, I won't say what it is.

I've seen 6 photos, and your question is answered on like the 4th photo, FYI. In Meelow's thread, his first post shows 6 photos, I kind of regret looking at even those photos, because I felt that the 3rd photo was possibly a spoiler, I won't say what it is.

I mean I’m not really talking relative to any spoilers? I am just hypothesizing based on the previous trailer.

Maybe it’s impossible to discuss without the leaked art tainting responses o.o

Edit: I’m also curious now how the art could possibly confirm or deny what I’m proposing…

I mean I’m not really talking relative to any spoilers? I am just hypothesizing based on the previous trailer.

Maybe it’s impossible to discuss without the leaked art tainting responses o.o

Yeah it's a good point, speculating when half of the community knows more than the other half splits the discussion with some topics.

What do you mean by weapon triangle? Like swords being stronger or weaker against other weapon types?

What do you mean by weapon triangle? Like swords being stronger or weaker against other weapon types?

Yeah. Fire Emblem has a system called the weapon triangle - Sword > Axe > Lance > Sword for example.

Not sure how it would work here, as it’s not immediately obvious what type of weapon the head piece resembles…

Edit: I’m also curious now how the art could possibly confirm or deny what I’m proposing…
It doesn't. I think they're just referring to art of those same enemies with the weapon horns, which is the idea you based your comment on anyways.

Staff Post regarding leaks/spoilers
As we get into the final weeks leading up to the release of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, we are just as excited as everyone else to finally be able to play the game. We understand that many people will be sensitive about any spoilers related to the game, and we want everyone to feel good about browsing Famiboards leading up to launch.

After conversing among the team, we have decided that any and all spoilers in regards to the game will belong exclusively in the spoiler thread. There will also be only one thread for Zelda spoilers before launch. We ask that everyone use this thread for any discussion and speculation in regards to spoilers. For the record, we consider spoilers anything that has not been announced or shown by Nintendo. Anything that has already been shown in trailers or other official media is considered fair game for the main pre-discussion thread. When in doubt, please go with the spoiler thread.

Lastly, while we believe that the overwhelming majority of users here are good posters, we want to address any potential bad-faith actors. Anyone who is intentionally trying to spoil members by either posting spoilers in other threads without tags or creating threads with fake title names will be subject to moderation. They will all be handled on a case by case basis, but moderation can range anywhere from threadbans to site bans to loss of threadmaking privilages. Again, we do not expect this to come up, but we want to make everyone aware of the circumstances.

-The Moderation Team

I checked the first 4 pics that leaked but didnt see much else. I’ll try and wait. That next trailer is about to be gooood

Yeah, hopefully something soon, I’m hoping we get some more info in about 2 weeks, but it might be more like 5 weeks.

I asked one thing I wanted to know in that thread and then dipped, lol

Yeah, it’s hard to resist, I definitely would have already looked at those photos if we didn’t get that trailer 2 weeks ago, lol.

Damn I thought that was a new screenshot of a ChuChu but it's literally just the Hyrule Compendium photo.

BotW_Hyrule_Compendium_Chuchu.png

Yum.

Head count of those who have resisted the leak?
Besides reading comments here in this thread (while not clicking on any of the spoiler info), I have resisted the leak lol tbf tho I have reached max hype since the second teaser before we even got the name lol the other info has just sustained my hype and I never had any concerns involving totk. I like the idea of going in pretty blind, so I think I will hold off on looking. I am also getting the CE so will see if I resist looking at it before playing when I have in physically in my hand lol gonna try and avoid the leak, but also if I happen to see something by chance in the next 3 months, then idt I would be that bothered.

I don't know why—the game hasn't even come out—yet I feel a certain sense of sadness knowing that this might be the last game for the Breath of the Wild world. Never know, they could do a trilogy, but I highly doubt it unless this game's sales skyrocket past the first.

I think many of the characters in BOTW alone were so cool, and to add today's fiasco into the mix, this game will be outstanding. The architecture (in my honest opinion, I already rank it well above the Sheikah with all of its majestic golden glory), the outfits, enemies, animals, people, and then the main characters. All of it is just so surreal to look at, and to think this may be the finale of such an amazingly well-built world? Oof. Hard to imagine for me, I feel like this iteration of Link and others are now very iconic to the series, and it will surely be hard to say goodbye to them.

I don't know why—the game hasn't even come out—yet I feel a certain sense of sadness knowing that this might be the last game for the Breath of the Wild world. Never know, they could do a trilogy, but I highly doubt it unless this game's sales skyrocket past the first.

I think many of the characters in BOTW alone were so cool, and to add today's fiasco into the mix, this game will be outstanding. The architecture (in my honest opinion, I already rank it well above the Sheikah with all of its majestic golden glory), the outfits, enemies, animals, people, and then the main characters. All of it is just so surreal to look at, and to think this may be the finale of such an amazingly well-built world? Oof. Hard to imagine for me, I feel like this iteration of Link and others are now very iconic to the series, and it will surely be hard to say goodbye to them.

I’d take out what I have bolded in your post, I don’t mind reading it, but some people might. There a post made by a mod above you should read if you haven’t, best to just err on the side of caution.

I’d take out what I have bolded in your post, I don’t mind reading it, but some people might. There a post made by a mod above you should read if you haven’t, best to just err on the side of caution.
Er, I've read the mod comment and I respectfully disagree—I worded it in that way where I wouldn't tread on overstepping the spoiler line. That list doesn't contain any explicit spoilers, and it's been fairly well-established to people—the architecture and certain enemies have already been revealed from trailers past, and, to the average person, it would be reasonable to expect a new game would have new things or different variants/design changes of previously established things in it (i.e. animals, outfits, people). If a mod thinks otherwise, then they can kindly message me about that. But I appreciate you looking out for me though.

Er, I've read the mod comment and I respectfully disagree—I worded it in that way where I wouldn't tread on overstepping the spoiler line. That list doesn't contain any explicit spoilers, and it's been fairly well-established to people—the architecture and certain enemies have already been revealed from trailers past, and, to the average person, it would be reasonable to expect a new game would have new things or different variants/design changes of previously established things in it (i.e. animals, outfits, people). If a mod thinks otherwise, then they can kindly message me about that. But I appreciate you looking out for me though.

It’s cool, I don’t think you’re spoiling anything myself! As long as you saw the mod post then you know where the line is. There are always people who intentionally push the limit of what’s acceptable in these kind of situations, so obviously you don’t want to get confused for anyone like that, not that I think you are.

I'm good so far, I've caught glimpses of stuff shared in this thread initially and on twitter.. but as far as diving in to the leak itself I've resisted

With that said, may cant come soon enough because damnit, I want in on the action hah

I caved in and looked at a lot of screens posted in several places...
I am kind of surprised that some people who had a very lukewarm reception to the trailers are now hyped.

Yeah, in general the designs in the artbook look very cool but there is not a lot of new information that wasn't hinted at in the trailers.
Most of it was kind of expected honestly.
The bigger revelations came with the trailers, I think (vehicle crafting, underground areas, floating islands and sky diving).
I am sure the few new things will be shown in the next trailer.

I also think it is funny that stuff which is hinted heavily at in the trailers we already got, is now "confirmed" for some people by an art book - even if it shows no context at all and it is also not gameplay obviously.
Some things could be from a cutscene as well (just theoretically).

Edit: I don't consider anything here a spoiler but apparently (at least) one person does, so I better put it in spoiler tags, sorry.

Last edited:
I am kind of surprised that some people who had a very lukewarm reception to the trailers are now hyped.

Yeah, in general the designs in the artbook look very cool but there is not a lot of new information that wasn't hinted at in the trailers.
Most of it was kind of expected honestly.
The bigger revelations came with the trailers, I think (vehicle crafting, underground areas, floating islands and sky diving).
I am sure the few new things will be shown in the next trailer.

I also think it is funny that stuff which is hinted heavily at in the trailers we already got, is now "confirmed" for some people by an art book - even if it shows no context at all and it is also not gameplay obviously.
Some things could be from a cutscene as well (just theoretically).
i basically agree. I had a lot more to say on this, but meh. Artbook is cool and all, but from a game developed this long I fully expected new characters and new enemies.

Mod edit- added spoiler tags

Yes, it would have been shocking if there weren't new enemies and npcs.
I guess it shows how strong marketing is on folks. We know what EPD is capable of. We know a lot will be in there after this much time. But when Nintendo doesn’t show a lot of new enemies or new characters in their trailers (game was announced 3.5 years ago) it’ll make people question what they’ve been doing. Especially, when it’s the same Hyrule they’ll want to see as much new as possible and Nintendo hasn’t done the best job. It’ll be called dlc. We’re talking about the core audience here who’ve dissected BotW. Marketing is very powerful.

It’s probably a balancing act for Nintendo for not wanting to show too much new and I can understand. Like I said before we haven’t seen even 1 minute of this game being played and we’re less than 3 months from the game releasing. That is unprecedented.

I'm doing my best to avoid the spoilers thread and then I read this kind of posts here in the very same page where a mod has asked no to discuss anything related to spoilers here. Thanks for letting us know
that there isn't much left to be revealed
even though no one asked. I guess.

Yeah, in general the designs in the artbook
We’ve asked people to mark spoilers and
to use the spoiler thread only for them. Please see threadmark. Thanks.

I'm doing my best to avoid the spoilers thread and then I read this kind of posts here in the very same page where a mod has asked no to discuss anything related to spoilers here. Thanks for letting us know
Hmm, okay I am sorry. I worded it very carefully and completely vague.
The conclusion you came to after reading my post was not at all what I wanted to say and I don't believe that for a second.

I believe it will be massive and a lot of new stuff will be in there. It just isn't visible in this artbook which would have leaked before launch in any case (at least a few days before)

Edit: @PixelKnight: noted, thank you - I am sorry. I will stop this here.

Hmm, okay I am sorry. I worded it very carefully and completely vague.
The conclusion you came to after reading my post was not at all what I wanted to say and I don't believe that for a second.

I believe it will be massive and a lot of new stuff will be in there. It just isn't visible in this artbook which would have leaked before launch in any case (at least a few days before)

Edit: @PixelKnight: noted, thank you - I am sorry. I will stop this here.
Ok, I appreciate your clarification. It's still best to avoid discussing leaked content here. Thank you.

And I plan to keep it that way too. For reference: I've played every mainline Zelda game on release day since A Link to the Past. It's as much a part of my gaming history as it actually is that gaming history.

It's not that spoilers upset me so much as I'd like to replicate the same experience I've had for the previous games. Nothing quite like it.

Maybe it’s overkill and I personally don’t mind but it might help to have a more prominent note about the No Spoilers/Leaks rule, perhaps in the thread title.

As much as i love the world of Botw, i want them to give TotK everything they got and wrap up this beautiful story. When i finished Botw, it was the first time i ended a Zelda game and wanted a sequel si bad. I had so many ideas and had the feeling the game left out so many opportunities. I don’t want to feel like that with this one.

Next Zelda game will probably be something completely different.

Well the thread sure has died now lmao. Hopefully they release something soon.
Also, i haven't seen people voluntarily spoil online even on Zelda twitter.. so i feel like it won't be that hard to avoid it.

I bet the CE for the next Zelda game ain't getting an art book, lol.
Given how few of the CE additions they seem to make compared to the level of interest in them and the size of the fan base, it’s not like they wouldn‘t completely sell out if they didn’t make them available until 2-3 months after release. It might even be a way to keep the excitement going after that initial release excitement has faded or even release them at the time of DLC. That way you aren’t printing potential spoilers that will get out into the public. It’s not like this rocket science, so it comes off to me anyways, as just a money grab tactic without much thought put into it especially since it has happened in the past with leaks.

Did the artbook from og BotW hold any things that we didn't know beforehand?

Creating a Champion came out a year after BotW so it has everything in the game + unused content, there was no CE bonus art book.

... might there be a possibility that because the Zelda OLED leaked, it was only predictable that the artbook from the collectors' edition would leak as well and this might be a 'controlled' leak?

I'm getting those vibes especially because no key details have leaked through the artbook, it's still all very vague, as if this is the way they intend to let the information flow freely.

... might there be a possibility that because the Zelda OLED leaked, it was only predictable that the artbook from the collectors' edition would leak as well and this might be a 'controlled' leak?

I'm getting those vibes especially because no key details have leaked through the artbook, it's still all very vague, as if this is the way they intend to let the information flow freely.

I don't know, I think the people more enthusiastic about the game are going to be the people who see the leaked art work for the most part. Trailers are definitely the best way to get more people excited.

If anything, I would give credit to the idea that Nintendo always assumed that the artbook would get out eventually, and so that's why it contains exactly the relative foretastes it does.

So, if you mean "controlled" in that way, sure.

No way. Listening to Kit and Krysta, they really emphasis on Nintendo being a secret freak. They would not go out their way to reveal something in case it leaks and would 100% prefer trying to keep it secret until it's time.

Also, they are currently in process of removing videos and streams of these leaks. So it would be kinda overkill to really have that elaborate plan. Something unfortunate happened and that's it.

I do feel like they pushed the secrecy on this game for too long. The last trailer should have been mixted up with the September trailer and the new one should have been more revealing. 2 and a half months and i feel like i have no idea this game is about even with now partial look up of the leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom