• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
with that supposed leak about Pokemon DLC coming with visual upgrades for Drake, I wouldn't be shocked if they timed Zelda DLC with Drake as well in order to give people a reason to jump in with the game on a new system

I had a similar thought. It would be kind of like a Miles Morales type situation except I don't think they would make it stand alone. But it could be something to release at or near the new system's launch depending on the timing.

image.png

* see a korok seed *

image.png

I like how we're all freaking out about the game possibly releasing and you're just like, Look! A Korok!

Lol

Last edited:
Someone should compile a list of all the popular dogshit Youtubers who put spoilers in their title/image so we can block them.

IF REAL there's something on that CE box that I'd consider a story spoiler (in case anyone is looking for those images).

Putting Yunobo on the entire back of the CE box was a bold move but I approve. The Kanji tattoos and the ear piercings tells me he has grown up to be a bit of a bad boy.

I thought my day 1 switch was good enough so i never got an oled. Well I had to get this Zelda one and let me just say SPECTACULAR. Looks amazing in person. Sell your old switch, get this, and later down the line if you want to trade in, this will net you more return. The oled screen makes me want to play in handheld(i mostly play in docked before)

I thought my day 1 switch was good enough so i never got an oled. Well I had to get this Zelda one and let me just say SPECTACULAR. Looks amazing in person. Sell your old switch, get this, and later down the line if you want to trade in, this will net you more return. The oled screen makes me want to play in handheld(i mostly play in docked before)

Damn. That looks incredible.

TITLE DROP

I don’t know why I’m so strangely bothered by it, but I have this lingering worry, and I really don’t want the great sky island to be one of the biggest island clusters. I get that the game wants to start out strong, but it would be a bummer to me if the game peaked early. What made BotW so cool is that it had this great opening area, but one that became completely dwarfed by the rest of the game.
I think the idea that the devs were going for is that the sky islands are generally smaller, more puzzle focused sections of the game. However, this is balanced out by the sheer number of them.

The Great Sky Island seems to be an exception to that rule because they needed a new place for the game to start in. The area acts both to introduce the concept of sky islands, and also to provide a reason for not being able to leave unprepared.

I'm going to call it now (it's already pretty much confirmed in my mind having looked closely at all of the sky islands shown both close up and in the distance), the Great Sky Island will be the largest single sky island, cluster of sky islands, etc.

This fact doesn't bother me too much though because I'm sure this area was designed to act more like the Great Plateau, and less like the other sky islands. So while it may technically be the largest of them, there will be much more mechanically impressive islands.

EX: Stormy islands above Faron, various sky pillars, Hebra cyclone, Zora sky isles, etc.

Basically, treat the Great Sky Island as another Great Plateau that just so happens to be in the sky.

It's a small touch but it tickles my nerdy side that when you ignite a flame emitter under the hot air balloon, the orange light diffuses through the translucent material of the balloon.
For a Switch game, it's a really impressive effect, and a great example of where the team didn't have to go so hard but went the extra mile anyway.

I’ve ordered this, and it is currently awaiting my pickup… however I don’t know if this is a controversial opinion (it certainly seems that way online) I LOVE the joycons and console itself, but that dock is ugly af. Why would they cover so much of the crest with the ouroboros symbol?

It's a small touch but it tickles my nerdy side that when you ignite a flame emitter under the hot air balloon, the orange light diffuses through the translucent material of the balloon.
For a Switch game, it's a really impressive effect, and a great example of where the team didn't have to go so hard but went the extra mile anyway.

Yup, it's the same with lighting in the horse stables at night in BOTW. A crude approximation of sub-surface scattering. No actual random walk algorithms, but an effect that's convincing enough.

Hey look. He also playing TotK. Perfection

I’ve ordered this, and it is currently awaiting my pickup… however I don’t know if this is a controversial opinion (it certainly seems that way online) I LOVE the joycons and console itself, but that dock is ugly af. Why would they cover so much of the crest with the ouroboros symbol?
I actually agree. I don't care for how the two dragons cover up the Hylian Crest. I think it would look better with something else in the middle like a picture of Link instead or something, or even a cropped image of the long eared dragon guy from the mural.

------------
Also after several days of going back and forth I went ahead and bought the OLED. It shipped today lol, the Zelda fan in me won over

Shouldn't have seen the leak not necessarily because of the leak itself (imo, it's not really a crazy huge one), but because every time I enter 4chan I get reminded of why I stay outta that shithole of a place. Way too vile.

This experience makes me appreciate you all at Famiboards even more.

Update On Prerelease Spoiler Discussion
Hey everyone, we had another pre-release spoiler thread pop up today when we already had one:

We know copies of the game are starting to float out there, but all pre-release spoiler discussion should be contained in the pre-release spoiler thread. We’ve renamed it to better reflect its function. We encourage you if you had enough of spoiler discussion to just wait for the full game discussion spoiler thread that will come before release. Thanks everyone! -xghost777, MondoMega, Josh5890, VolcanicDynamo

Only two weeks, it will go by really fast. There is still an embargo so the leaks won't just flow online unless you go to look for them. The game will be worth the wait.

I think time will go by pretty quickly, but if/when this game leaks those leaks will spread very, very quickly. I’m not even exaggerating, in a couple hours after they’re leaked they’ll be everywhere and it’ll really suck because then even YouTube thumbnails will contain spoilers, and that’s something beyond our control (recommended videos and everything).

Last edited:
I think time will go by pretty quickly, but if/when this game leaks those leaks will spread very, very quickly. I’m not even exaggerating, in a couple hours after they’re leaked they’ll be everywhere and it’ll really suck because then even YouTube thumbnails will contain spoilers, and that’s something beyond our control (recommended videos and everything).
As long as leaks don’t pop up here I’m good, I have abandoned everywhere else. Time seems to be moving quickly but it’s hard to tell because I haven’t seen anyone mention how many hours we have left until Z day, if only there was someone out there….

Shouldn't have seen the leak not necessarily because of the leak itself (imo, it's not really a crazy huge one), but because every time I enter 4chan I get reminded of why I stay outta that shithole of a place. Way too vile.

This experience makes me appreciate you all at Famiboards even more.
Was it a pessimistic reaction to the leak or was it just an unrelated thing tied to 4chan?

The more I think of these new previews, though, the more I can't really seem to get one thing out of my head. It really feels like the game has moved so extremely far away from the initial 1st teaser. Like, now it's not about underground Ganondorf and dark, creepy caverns at all, we're instead high in the clouds gluing shit together. If Link begins in the sky, and then the gameplay loop is based so much around his abilities, where the heck does the 1st teaser come into play? Is it really just a flashback cutscene, all of it?

Stuff easy to rip like cutscenes and music will be immediate, which of course will have story spoilers and some context we can infer

But the actual structure of the game itself, someone’s gonna have to actually play through so we figure out how dungeons/shrines work and stuff

Stuff easy to rip like cutscenes and music will be immediate, which of course will have story spoilers and some context we can infer

But the actual structure of the game itself, someone’s gonna have to actually play through so we figure out how dungeons/shrines work and stuff

I agree, but really exciting stuff like new enemies and bosses are easy to spoil in a thumbnail too.

The more I think of these new previews, though, the more I can't really seem to get one thing out of my head. It really feels like the game has moved so extremely far away from the initial 1st teaser. Like, now it's not about underground Ganondorf and dark, creepy caverns at all, we're instead high in the clouds gluing shit together. If Link begins in the sky, and then the gameplay loop is based so much around his abilities, where the heck does the 1st teaser come into play? Is it really just a flashback cutscene, all of it?
I wouldn’t read too much into the previews. They were so controlled by Nintendo, much like all the trailers. I view each one as a tiny peak into a massive expansion into each concept and gameplay shown. I believe we have seen like 5% of this game and without context in most cases, we know the underground exists, they are not going to half ass it and not make it amazing to play through.

That whole sequence had me super excited so I'm hoping it's still in the game in some fashion but I'm beginning to think it may just be a cutscene or memory and then the actual game starts off in the sky. Still I'm hoping for some cool underground stuff regardless if that area in itself is playable or not.

Nearly 300 hours left until TotK
Yes! Thank you! I knew it had been a long time since 440😊

I also I forgot to mention an important detail. Thanks to @LukasManak22 who convinced me to finally learn how to order off the Japan eshop I will be getting my download 14 hours earlier. I do have a bit of dilemma tho.

For any kind soul out there, I need a favor… Since I had to create an account with Amazon.Jp to get my Yen Eshop cards, they forced me to use a local address in Japan to create my account. So if anyone happens to be flying into Tokyo International airport soon, would you do me a favor and please pick up my mail. I believe Amazon.jp thinks I live in terminal B, right next to the gift shop, there should be a small mailbox there that says ZeldaPY on it.😅😅

Last edited:
Dumb question but has there been any gameplay footage showing off raining/thunderstorms in this game?
I can't remember which one since I've watched a bunch of them, but I'm pretty sure one of the previews had a clip of link fighting in the bokoblin fortress during a storm.

Edit: Okay I found it - at 6:17 in this preview from BRCDEvg its storming.

Last edited:
Just thought of something potential cool: If enemies are still going to pick up whatever weapon is on the ground around them, what will happen when you give them a shield with a rocket attached? Are they going to activate the rocket and fly all over the place? Or will they ride vertically into the sky like Link does, before plummeting 100 feet to their death?

How do you mute key words and stuff on YouTube? I’m not about to be spoiled because of a jerk on the internet

TotK non-spoiler starter pack by LukasManak22

- don't open Twitter, the most obvious one. You can block words whatever but it can just be image or another words. Twitter will be full of leaks.

- don't open YouTube. Same as Twitter, full of leaks, thumbnails with bosses etc. Absolutely no go.

- don't open Famiboards. Sad to say this, but you need to be absolutely safe. You are waiting years for this one, anyone can spoil you in any thread. You need to be absolutely bulletproof. You can briefly go into the ST on May 12, scroll all the way down, post your copy and wish everyone a great experience. Then go away imediately.

Last but not least, Aonuma will protect you from leaks. He knows you are a good person.
Maybe it's easier to follow a single indication: don't open your eyes 😅

Watching old Treehouse 2016 footage really does make BotW feel like a tech demo in comparison.

"Look, you can go anywhere!"
"Look, you can make a bridge out of a tree!"
"Look, you can be i slow-motion while pulling out a bow!"
"Look, you can make a chest rise up out of the water with Cryonis!"
"Look, you can shoot away a rock with Stasis when you hit it!"
"Look, you can shoot down a barrel with an arrow!"

Pfft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom