• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets stop lying. Most of us are not strong enough to look away if there are leaks. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride.
not me, I'm no weakling. I'm a paragon of strength

link-flexing.gif

jedisurvivorzelda.jpg

(To be serious though, Jedi Survivor being the way it is is really crap, but it is funny how expectations and what is 'acceptable' differs so very wildly between different platforms. I'm susceptible to it as well lol, so the above image represents me too :p)

I used to think "why would anyone willingly release their game anywhere near a new post-BotW Zelda and risk getting Horizon'd"?

But then I got older and wiser and realized that it's actually a good month to release your game if it's got some serious issues and you can't delay it due to legal/contractual obligations. I'd argue it's an elegant solution if you want to minimize bad press.

Clarification on streamer link
Not entirely convinced it’s legit, however…

MOD EDIT: Reddit post linking to ableist streamer removed - MondoMega, Aurc, VolcanicDynamo

When is the day we all disconnect ourselves and return to a caveman-like existence?

To elaborate further on our decision here:

Even if this streamer ends up having access to the game and begins to stream it, we will not be tolerating further links to the channel, given their name contains two ableist slurs. Ignoring this staff post and posting any links beyond this point will result in feedback.

- MondoMega, Aurc, VolcanicDynamo, xghost777.

warning : possible spoilers at the back of the box

i cannot believe that people will pay $100 for an early copy
"where is the game cart" comments is one of the most comments on the internet

Altough not many people discuss this and it's still not clear after previews. I am pretty sure that this game has HD rumble. I can't think of any first-party release that did not used it. You can argue that it's "gimmick" feature for you, but when implemented well it's a good feature, even when sometimes it's only "that's neat", it can better throw you into the game.
Even just ports made by Nintendo use it, even recent releases like Prime Remaster use it. Even Skyward Sword HD uses it really well (you can argue that this one is made by Tantalus, which is true. But it still has EPD3 employees as a supervisors for this port).

TLDR: There is HD Rumble in this game, I really doubt they did not implemented it.
my Joy-Con rumbling like crazy when the Redead scream yay

A 10 minutes long opening cutscene not only could set up the context of the game amazingly, but I think it also would be very well received by the players. I mean, what we don't want is a 2-hours tutorial like SS or TP. A cool cinematic, well directed and with good music followed by the Great Sky Island?I'm all for it.
a playable segment that lead to Mummydorf would be better, and they proced to Link faiting for his injures by Malice and waking on the sky

Not really. It was before pandemic and the game still got delayed from it's post-pandemic plan in March of last year. If anything when they announced it they were targetting early 2022 at latest.
Nintendo was targeting holiday 2022, before they delayed Tears of the Kingdom to may 12th

It seems like that was the target when they had the E3 2021 trailer, but it seems reasonable to assume that before COVID hit they thought it might release earlier
Yeah, as the entire Nintendo's schedule. One may wonder how long it took to test Fuse and Ultrahand, even in covid. Must have been tough.

jedisurvivorzelda.jpg

(To be serious though, Jedi Survivor being the way it is is really crap, but it is funny how expectations and what is 'acceptable' differs so very wildly between different platforms. I'm susceptible to it as well lol, so the above image represents me too :p)

Pfft I'll have you know I paid $350 for my Switch OLED.

Hey... Remember this quote?

cclAZhi.png
The quote is often twisted. Aonuma was asked by IGN, in response to the E3 2019 trailer's showcase, whether the game would be darker, like MM was to OoT. He said the following:
This morning, you surprised everybody with a big, big trailer in the Direct, and we're all excited about that. I just played Link's Awakening, and I want to talk to you a lot about that, but I have to ask about the trailer. Everybody's buzzing with excitement: It seemed like this was a dark twist on Breath of the Wild, that reminded me of Majora's Mask, was that on purpose?

Mr. Aonuma: The new Breath of the Wild, or the sequel to it, it's not necessarily going to be related to Majora's Mask or inspired by it. It's just that it happened to be what we showed you currently is a little bit darker, and we're honestly still in production, so we can't really say exactly how it's going to be turning out.
This was turned into "BotW 2 is going to be darker than Majora's Mask!"

Also in this category: Nintendo saying that the title for BotW's sequel contains a spoiler (they did not)

Last edited:
2018082121585700-f1c11a22faee3b82f21b330e1b786a39_orig.jpg

I'm thinking we'll get "town building" segments that use ultrahand to let us actually design and place houses in contained areas around hyrule field similar to the modular-af tarry town homes. That, paired with what we've already seen in the trailer of more active NPCs has me excited. It'd be a super fun side quest to put our own stamp on hyrule!

If so, your move, AC team (sry in advance to the non-building/design AC fans)

Hopefully we get to rebuild our Link's house in Hateno. How awesome would it be if everyone could customize their house?

I hope we still own the house and don't have to rebuy it.

I agree with you. I'm going to be disappointed if we don't have town building segments in the game. If we can build vehicles and other contraptions, there is no way we can't build houses/homes.

I was in Japan for work when the Link’s Awakening remake came out and it was advertised on every train you caught. Just screens playing clips of the Wind Fish and posters up in the stations all over. I can’t imagine how much bigger this is going to be over there. It’s going to be such an event.

Can you add Zonai items you find on the ground to your inventory? It seems like maybe it's just the capsule loot from the machines that you can pocket for future use. Cool idea

Hopefully we get to rebuild our Link's house in Hateno. How awesome would it be if everyone could customize their house?

I hope we still own the house and don't have to rebuy it.
I hope the original house has been crushed by a Zonai rock and they agree to help build you a McMansion to console you

That "darker than Majora's Mask" quote has always been annoying. Not only because "darkness" is subjective and anything can in theory be darker than anything else based on the elements you choose to focus on, but also because it was clear since day 1 that all Aonuma meant was that the trailer was darker in tone to BOTW, in a similar way to how Majora's Mask was more dark upfront and center than Ocarina of Time, and yet people immediately distorted the quote and ran with it for years.

Last edited:
I halfway expected to see a portal form and a dragon leave. I am very curious about what that really was though. Very odd.

It's what's known as a Crown Flash which is a pretty rare optical phenomenon. All the hallmark signs are there like the rapid fluctuatuons that result in the "search light" effect, as well as the refraction of light through the ice crystals. I would love to see it in person one day!

jedisurvivorzelda.jpg

The more apt comparison is buying a Switch 2 and having a game that runs worse than a previous entry on Switch. That's why people are upset. And of course, the lack of polish/crashing is something separate from hardware. Just EA shipping another buggy mess to fix later.

I was in Japan for work when the Link’s Awakening remake came out and it was advertised on every train you caught. Just screens playing clips of the Wind Fish and posters up in the stations all over. I can’t imagine how much bigger this is going to be over there. It’s going to be such an event.
I've just returned and I can say they are going hard with it. Ads were indeed playing on the trains (along with a Splatoon event between Kyushu, Tohoku region and another I couldn't read but the point is that Splatoon is huge too).

Also anyone who moans about Kirby getting too much attention, go to Japan and you'll understand.

What I really hate is that the right-wing Internet Bubble acts now as if Nintendo is on their side against their fight of "the Wokeness in media" (or whatever they call their fantasy ideology), because the Mario Movie is somehow a stance against modern Disney Live Action Remakes or whatever. I expect that to happen with TOTK too and I think it already started from what I've seen. It is so bad like those people always say that politics should kept out of entertainment media, but they now always come in with their own weird political shit with every new bigger movie or game release. If the general public dosen't like it, it's woke, if it's beloved it's part of their "fight". Sorry for this little rant, but honestly I'm not looking forward to the discourse of this game outside of this forum as soon as it is out.

Last edited:
What I really hate is that the right-wing Internet Bubble acts now as if Nintendo is on their side against their fight of "the Wokeness in media" (or whatever they call their fantasy ideology), because the Mario Movie is somehow a stance against modern Disney Live Action Remakes or whatever.
Eh half of them are making hate videos about how Peach is a woke Girlboss lol

Eh half of them are making hate videos about how Peach is a Girlboss lol
Before they found out that the movie is a success. They direct their opinion always to what they think where the most consent is and their audience is too dumb to realize it.

Damn, another one.

The Molduga footsteps discovery is pretty incredible. I wish I knew I could have used Yunobo to destroy the sentries geez

Looks like I have alot of homework to do. I have never seen these videos. Have I even played the game?? Jeez, so much to it. Im starting to think my opinion of traditional Zelda games being better than BOTW is factually incorrect because I haven’t played BOTW the way it’s supposed to be played even though I’ve beaten it twice.

In the Previews on Game explain where they show the UI for the Zonai menu there is 25 available slots with some of them filled out. I put the image under spoiler just in case someone doesn’t want to see it.

zonai-menu.jpg

We have 9 slots pretty much confirmed and maybe two or three more plus whatever this thing does on the side of Links tank from the last trailer.
side-of-links-tank.jpg

So that leaves 12-13 Zonai items we haven’t seen in any of the trailers unless I’m missing some.

Even though we have fuse that will make weapons stronger again before they break, I’m thinking we could still get a one-time use Anvil type of object specifically for weapons or shields that are not fused.

I was going to add something like anti-gravity boots but I think clothing type upgrades won’t be Zonai specific, any thoughts on what the others might be we haven’t seen? I’m still holding out hope for underwater exploration in the Ocean, which could lead to a whole host of underwater Zonai tech.

Maybe something as well for traveling easier on Sand or the Snow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom