• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just putting this out there.

“In the game it seems like you can do anything, but what it really is are all these interlocking systems where you actually have a pretty limited number of actions that can do a ton of different things,” Fujibayashi told IGN. “So if it came down to something like petting a dog, we would actually have to put in a custom action just for petting a dog that couldn't really be used for anything else.”

“In terms of design philosophy, it just didn't fit with how we actually made the game world,” he added. “It's actually more about taking a smaller number of actions and using them in as many ways as possible.”

When we offered the idea that a petting system would allow you to also pet creatures like Bokoblins or resolve the game's conflict by petting Ganon, Fujibayashi laughed and simply told us “maybe if there had been some good reason to do that, we might have done that.”

In 12 days we will see if we can PET THE DOG.

Maybe something as well for traveling easier on Sand or the Snow?
Yeah, I hope there's easier traversal for those two biomes. I wasn't really the biggest fan of seal riding, but it was tolerable. It did become a bit better and less time-consuming to traverse when I got the snow/sand boots (it took me a long time to even find out about them).

I've just returned and I can say they are going hard with it. Ads were indeed playing on the trains (along with a Splatoon event between Kyushu, Tohoku region and another I couldn't read but the point is that Splatoon is huge too).

Also anyone who moans about Kirby getting too much attention, go to Japan and you'll understand.
That’s amazing to hear. I thought of Splatoon as a fun little Nintendo side project until I went to Japan and saw how much merchandise they had just in normal shops and all over.

And god yeah on Kirby. I was amazed how many people queuing up for the Kirby Cafe were middle aged and even elderly women when I went. Proper universal appeal for games stuff.

One thing that has me wondering and thinking is that Link is so much more powerful here. OP almost. Fuse just seems to reinforce weapons in so many ways, and makes all kinds of objects into potential mass destruction weapons. And Ultrahand is so much more capable than Magnesis, not being bound by metallic objects only. Like, with Magnesis, you could just grab a metal slab and mow down enemies with it, and with Ultrahand, you can do so with any object, and toss around explosive barrels and whatnot.

But it looks from the Zeltik preview as if the game still packs a great challenge. They seem to have compensated for this added power by making enemies more plentiful and also a bit more spongey, as well as possibly also nerfing stuff like smashing crates etc into enemies. I hope the game maintains that balance all the way through.

Yeah, I hope there's easier traversal for those two biomes. I wasn't really the biggest fan of seal riding, but it was tolerable. It did become a bit better and less time-consuming to traverse when I got the snow/sand boots (it took me a long time to even find out about them).

“In the game it seems like you can do anything, but what it really is are all these interlocking systems where you actually have a pretty limited number of actions that can do a ton of different things,” Fujibayashi told IGN. “So if it came down to something like petting a dog, we would actually have to put in a custom action just for petting a dog that couldn't really be used for anything else.”

“In terms of design philosophy, it just didn't fit with how we actually made the game world,” he added. “It's actually more about taking a smaller number of actions and using them in as many ways as possible.”

When we offered the idea that a petting system would allow you to also pet creatures like Bokoblins or resolve the game's conflict by petting Ganon, Fujibayashi laughed and simply told us “maybe if there had been some good reason to do that, we might have done that.”

For sure I didn’t figure out the snow boots until very late, putting these two posts together in anticipation of Dog sleds, and we have a whole team of recruitable dogs.

One thing that has me wondering and thinking is that Link is so much more powerful here. OP almost. Fuse just seems to reinforce weapons in so many ways, and makes all kinds of objects into potential mass destruction weapons. And Ultrahand is so much more capable than Magnesis, not being bound by metallic objects only. Like, with Magnesis, you could just grab a metal slab and mow down enemies with it, and with Ultrahand, you can do so with any object, and toss around explosive barrels and whatnot.

But it looks from the Zeltik preview as if the game still packs a great challenge. They seem to have compensated for this added power by making enemies more plentiful and also a bit more spongey, as well as possibly also nerfing stuff like smashing crates etc into enemies. I hope the game maintains that balance all the way through.
If there was anything I might be worried about for this game it’s this, and how the later stages of the game play out as far as difficulty. I think the Gleeoks might be this game version of the guardians so it depends on how difficult they are to fight. They seem like they are going to be able to fly for sure, so I imagine besides being a ton of fun to fight, just the fact that they can fly will pose many new challenges as we continue to fight them and have to adapt our strategy each time.
Can’t imagine how hard it would be to fight several of them at the same time while they are flying.

One bleeds into another and so on, yeah?

It makes sense story wise.
If Ganondorf being there gives all enemies a power bump, it makes complete sense that enemies are much stronger than BotW. That also gives the opportunity for Link to be much stronger, and for him to need the Zonai abilities to defeat them.

In the Previews on Game explain where they show the UI for the Zonai menu there is 25 available slots with some of them filled out. I put the image under spoiler just in case someone doesn’t want to see it.

zonai-menu.jpg

We have 9 slots pretty much confirmed and maybe two or three more plus whatever this thing does on the side of Links tank from the last trailer.
side-of-links-tank.jpg

So that leaves 12-13 Zonai items we haven’t seen in any of the trailers unless I’m missing some.

Even though we have fuse that will make weapons stronger again before they break, I’m thinking we could still get a one-time use Anvil type of object specifically for weapons or shields that are not fused.

I was going to add something like anti-gravity boots but I think clothing type upgrades won’t be Zonai specific, any thoughts on what the others might be we haven’t seen? I’m still holding out hope for underwater exploration in the Ocean, which could lead to a whole host of underwater Zonai tech.

Can this whole post be put into spoiler territory please? Most of this, I didn't want to know

In the Previews on Game explain where they show the UI for the Zonai menu there is 25 available slots with some of them filled out. I put the image under spoiler just in case someone doesn’t want to see it.
That’s just an inventory screen which we know to scroll from the other categories, not “25 slots”, no? Could be much more or even less.

zonai-menu.jpg

We have 9 slots pretty much confirmed and maybe two or three more plus whatever this thing does on the side of Links tank from the last trailer.
side-of-links-tank.jpg

So that leaves 12-13 Zonai items we haven’t seen in any of the trailers unless I’m missing some.

Even though we have fuse that will make weapons stronger again before they break, I’m thinking we could still get a one-time use Anvil type of object specifically for weapons or shields that are not fused.

I was going to add something like anti-gravity boots but I think clothing type upgrades won’t be Zonai specific, any thoughts on what the others might be we haven’t seen? I’m still holding out hope for underwater exploration in the Ocean, which could lead to a whole host of underwater Zonai tech.

It feels a bit unreliable to use this menu as a guide for how many Zonai devices there might be, since it's part of the inventory menu so the number of spaces needs to match that. Not all the spaces need to be filled, or there could be even more since this menu can scroll

But in terms of sand and snow traversal, I feel like all you'd need are existing Devices and some sort of sled part, which I expect to exist but wouldn't be a device. Underwater traversal with devices is a neat idea though, if it is a thing I'd expect some sort of air bubble device

Expanded taming system where Link can tame a lot more mounts than just horses, as well as animal companions that can follow you around and fight alongside you (essentially a reused and expanded version of what they did for the Wolf Link amiibo).

You'd think if it was real it would show off something new or unique to ToTK other than what appears to be a close approximation of what's going on in Gerudo Desert. Like a new weapon or location or outfit.

Thus I'm gonna have to say no. Plus we've entered the final stretch everyone's chomping at the bit for the clout that comes from providing new info, expect a lot of """leaks."""

At least untill it actually does leak.
What I really hate is that the right-wing Internet Bubble.
You could've just stopped here and Id already agree with you.

zonai-menu.jpg

side-of-links-tank.jpg

Oh wow, I didn’t realize there was like a whole menu for Zonai objects. This is so cool, essentially 25 dungeon items in function

Oh wow, I didn’t realize there was like a whole menu for Zonai objects. This is so cool, essentially 25 dungeon items in function
Even beyond the fact that the 25 items conclusion is shaky as all hell as addressed above, there's some overlap in what devices do, (like there are two types of wheel and battery that we've seen) and some don't really have that much functionality that we know of (the cooking pot is probably just a cooking pot, batteries are useful but probably don't provide any unique functionality. Maybe they'll have some interesting interactions, like the battery may serve as an explosive when attached to weapons, but they're much less versatile than fans, wheels or rockets)

There could be a whole ton of Devices and I'm really excited to see what they have in store for us, but we don't really know how many there are and how useful they'll be

I didn't want to just pet the dog. I wanted a dog or wolf companion to travel with. An expanded version of Wolf Link where you could buy a stable dog or tame a wolf, train it, buy funny armor for it, and fight/hunt with it. More mounts that can be registered other than horses would also be great and a whistle to call them from anywhere. I'm hoping for that whistle, at least. There was horse tack in the dlc that did just that. A whistle would be better than locking it to one set of armor.

Alas this is my first mainline Zelda I won’t be getting physical, but the $20 discount (and excuse to get a second game) from vouchers is too good to pass up.

It joins Age of Calamity and WW HD which I also got digitally though. The former to have on easy recall and the latter either due to a deal or impatience. I think it was some sort of a deal at the time with club Nintendo tho.

zonai-menu.jpg

side-of-links-tank.jpg

There for sure will be some upgraded items. Like say, a Big Rocket. A rocket that is more powerful and lasts longer.

It seems like there is a rotatable arm/contraption.

I think Zonai daggers would definitely be a rare drop, that would be TotK's equivalent to ancient arrows.

I could also see there being electric and ice emitters as well. Basically just versions of the flame emitter.

I think that the flying machine base would be a great one to have on hand too.

Even beyond the fact that the 25 items conclusion is shaky as all hell as addressed above, there's some overlap in what devices do, (like there are two types of wheel and battery that we've seen) and some don't really have that much functionality that we know of (the cooking pot is probably just a cooking pot, batteries are useful but probably don't provide any unique functionality. Maybe they'll have some interesting interactions, like the battery may serve as an explosive when attached to weapons, but they're much less versatile than fans, wheels or rockets)

There could be a whole ton of Devices and I'm really excited to see what they have in store for us, but we don't really know how many there are and how useful they'll be
Well if some feel it was a spoiler I won't comment any further and this isn't specifically directed towards anyone. I literally took a screen shot from within this thread on Game Explains menu video. Just wanted to hear others thoughts on what they think other cool devices we could see. All the devices listed, which are hidden, are already known items from trailers and Previews and the post itself it purely speculation.

Last edited:
Well, we're running out of time before the game leaks. Let's toss out the last of our thoughts, predictions, and analysis, before our fun is spoiled by leaks. I think the major themes of the game have crystallized with the most recent information and that big trailer so I'll toss together some thoughts I have on the matter.

The original version of this comment I made comparing BotW's main theme to TotK's almost included some meandering where I tried to link the main theme to the theory many others have shared that the fuse mechanic would hold the greatest thematic/aesthetic relevance. That is, the idea that connections and unions would be seen throughout the game both as a visual pattern and as an overarching narrative theme. There were/are two aspects of the song that pushed me in that direction: first, the more jubilant and triumphant sound, and second, the sequence where different instruments echo short verses one after another, as if they're in conversation. It reminded me of Tarrey Town's theme, where different instruments representing all of the people of Hyrule are layered over an initially minimalist song. Well, that final trailer pushed this idea from an inkling to a near certainty—"you're not alone," Link.

The-Legend-of-Zelda-Tears-of-the-Kingdom-Official-Trailer-3-0-58-screenshot.png

I really hope establishments like this new one in Castle Town feature a diverse mix of BotW's different people, working together to rebuild the kingdom.
The-Legend-of-Zelda-Tears-of-the-Kingdom-Official-Trailer-3-3-13-screenshot.png

"You're not alone, Link": bucket head will die for the cause.

In BotW, the various tribes of Hyrule essentially live in silos due to a mix of fear and inertia. BotW isn't a dour story—in various ways the people, especially the children, of Hyrule show how the calamity is beginning to fade into the background—but there's no denying that land has been fragmented and people have been driven into its far corners. In contrast, it seems TotK will reveal a different future for Hyrule, one that resembles Tarrey Town instead: all of the disparate people of Hyrule coming together to fight for and forge a new, more unified kingdom. In TotK, Link is intended to rescue the kingdom by leaning into his relationships across Hyrule, strengthening individual bonds and rallying together larger groups for battle. I imagine going it alone will result in another fairly sudden and hollow ending, like defeating Calamity Ganon without completing all of Link's memories.

The-Legend-of-Zelda-Tears-of-the-Kingdom-Official-Trailer-3-3-19-screenshot.png

Sidon is wearing his father's crown in this shot.

A lot of people have been puzzled by the decision to feature Tulin over Teba in TotK, and I think there are both narrative and game design reasons for the choice. TotK features a time skip, and the easiest way to relay that passage of time is to focus on younger characters, as their changes will be the most dramatic. In addition, TotK, like Wind Waker before it, seems to be emphasizing a changing of the guard and the obligation of older generations towards the newest. Sidon, the prince, seems to succeed his father at some point in the game (see above), Riju was forced onto the throne as a child, and Tulin replaces Teba as Link's Rito ally. These are younger heroes that represent the kingdom's future and its transitional status.

Lastly, and tying into the above point, there's the question of Zelda and the role of the past in this story. Assuming that the Nazca line-esque glyphs found all over the kingdom host cutscenes showing events in the deep past (in no way confirmed but an idea I'm leaning towards now, though I hope they also come with a unique gameplay idea), this could give an interesting spin to BotW's memories idea. Rather than stirring Link's own memories, we'd be exploring the memories of the kingdom, etched into the land by its ancient people—or perhaps Zelda? In which case, this is a story in which the people of Hyrule's past set the stage for the new generation to bring about a more decisive end to the kingdom's most torturous relic—a man whose preoccupation with the kingdom's past has been explored well in Wind Waker. Ganondorf says he's going to birth a new world, but I wouldn't be surprised if that "new world" is just the image of 'his' Hyrule frozen in his mind.

I get nervous every time I open up Youtube in fear that I'll see a leak on one of the thumbnails or titles. I really hope Nintendo / Zelda Youtubers won't stoop real low for the clicks and potentially ruin things for most others. I'm all for people discussing leaks and stuff, but only if titles and thumbnails are spoiler-free. Someone's definitely gonna do it anyways though, so I'm not sure how to proceed with Youtube soon when the word of leaks gets out.

I haven't really been paying attention to the preview stuff. What's the current situation/info regarding dungeons? Anything else particularly notable besides what we've seen in the recent trailers?

I haven't really been paying attention to the preview stuff. What's the current situation/info regarding dungeons? Anything else particularly notable besides what we've seen in the recent trailers?
Nothing specific as far as I know wrt official previews.

I get nervous every time I open up Youtube in fear that I'll see a leak on one of the thumbnails or titles. I really hope Nintendo / Zelda Youtubers won't stoop real low for the clicks and potentially ruin things for most others. I'm all for people discussing leaks and stuff, but only if titles and thumbnails are spoiler-free. Someone's definitely gonna do it anyways though, so I'm not sure how to proceed with Youtube soon when the word of leaks gets out.
Me too, I think the main ones of Zeltik, MM and NBC will be safe. I'm mostly concerned with hearing anything about the story, as soon as I get a whiff that its out there somewhere I will disappear

tumblr_o93khmgeFj1vy313ho1_400.gifv

I ended up moving my library hold on TotK down the list instead of cancelling it outright, figuring it would take a million years for people to return the handful of copies (no late fees). But I got an email today saying I should be able to get it launch day. looks like they stocked up a bunch more copies? Maybe I’ll be playing this soon after all…

It's what's known as a Crown Flash which is a pretty rare optical phenomenon. All the hallmark signs are there like the rapid fluctuatuons that result in the "search light" effect, as well as the refraction of light through the ice crystals. I would love to see it in person one day!

And today I learned something. Your username very much checks out. Thank you! That's such a cool bit of info to find out. The world truly can be a wondrous and beautiful place.

My anticipation for this game is starting to make me feel like Frodo on the slopes of Mt Doom:

"No, Sam. I can't recall the taste of food;
nor the sound of water; nor the touch of
grass . . . I'm naked in the dark.
(rising panic)
There's no veil between me and the wheel of
fire. I can see it with my waking eyes."

I didn't want to just pet the dog. I wanted a dog or wolf companion to travel with. An expanded version of Wolf Link where you could buy a stable dog or tame a wolf, train it, buy funny armor for it, and fight/hunt with it. More mounts that can be registered other than horses would also be great and a whistle to call them from anywhere. I'm hoping for that whistle, at least. There was horse tack in the dlc that did just that. A whistle would be better than locking it to one set of armor.

I think being able to register any Mount at a stable is my most wanted feature. Let me go full Princess Mononoke.

It was such an interesting personal feeling when I had to let go of him after having spent as much time as I did trying to mount him. It was like huh I guess this world doesn’t exist for me…
yeah that’s the one maybe I would keep non-registrable

Spoiler free HYPE, it's only 4 minutes long, wish it was longer. I was surprised it was this good, wasn't expecting it. HMK should just keep doing these videos from now on felt like a new trailer almost.

Last edited:
TIme to bail out on youtube/twitter/SNS if you do not want any spoilers

Game cart / artwork inside gamecase pictures

TIme to bail out on youtube/twitter/SNS if you do not want any spoilers

Game cart / artwork inside gamecase pictures

Pretty crazy, but not going to run from anywhere just yet since nothing in the actual game has been leaked yet, but yeah everyone should be aware that the beginning of the game could leak literally at any moment now, I doubt we're making it to Tuesday without the beginning leaked unfortunately.

As much as I love the newest trailer, I will still always go back to this one.

I think I agree with you, as soon as I saw that torch in the beginning, I literally fell out of my chair 4 years ago. It was so unexpected and amazing all at the same time.

Last edited:
As much as I love the newest trailer, I will still always go back to this one.

I want to explore that entire area but I'm not even sure if that stuff is even in the game anymore (maybe a cutscene?). It's really hard to say lol. Nintendo has successfully kept so much under wraps but maybe that will be a good thing once we finally play the game here in less then two weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom