• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ascend, recall, and ultrahand all seem like a good mix of traversal, and puzzle/problem solving potential. But the only ability I can't imagine being used often in puzzle solving is fuse (not ultrahand because some people keep getting them mixed up, understandably). Fuse seems almost completely utility based, and the only puzzle I can see it being used for are making certain types of arrows. But that's not much different from when you could use fire or bomb arrows, it doesn't have anything to do with the ability itself.
I think there's a lot of potential for Fuse in puzzles, but it depends on how in depth it is as a mechanic.
We've seen how it can be used to create a... Bomb-launcher thing, for example.
It's possible it could be used to create a hookshot or a grappling hook type thing.
Fusing the leaf to create wind arrows has potential.
Now that they've got rid of Cryonis, ice arrows could freeze water.

Lots they could do with it, but would they want to design puzzles around items that the player might not have? And if they give you the fuse material right near the puzzle, is it still a puzzle?

I'm handing these out

ahif0vrl.jpg
I'm not even sure of the full context here, but it seems to be a Lukas W, and this post is hilarious

Also, we have to see if the new abilities have upgrades to them.

The bombs is interesting. I mean we could create them or just buy them to use.
I like the idea I saw someone suggest of having a base "bomb shell" weapon that you then Fuse with other materials, like how arrows work now. Which I think is really fun idea, though you'd have to somehow make the bomb shell weapons either plentiful or infinite if they're going to have a use in puzzles

I like the idea I saw someone suggest of having a base "bomb shell" weapon that you then Fuse with other materials, like how arrows work now. Which I think is really fun idea, though you'd have to somehow make the bomb shell weapons either plentiful or infinite if they're going to have a use in puzzles
I saw that point brought up. If you’re fighting an enemy and the ice arrows work. Are you gonna have to keep going into your inventory over and over to grab an item which gives your arrow the ice effect? That doesn’t sound right. I feel like we’d have to be able to make a bunch of them at a time or something.

I love every single trailer of BotW. They are all perfect and made me feel something special. The trailers for TotK haven't been that good so far. The only one I really like as a whole is the first teaser. I hope that changes tomorrow.

I love every single trailer of BotW. They are all perfect and made me feel something special. The trailers for TotK haven't been that good so far. The only one I really like as a whole is the first teaser. I hope that changes tomorrow.
I agree. I know some of the TOTK “trailers” were more to teasers, but on a whole BotW’s showing have been far superior to TOTKs

I saw that point brought up. If you’re fighting an enemy and the ice arrows work. Are you gonna have to keep going into your inventory over and over to grab an item which gives your arrow the ice effect? That doesn’t sound right. I feel like we’d have to be able to make a bunch of them at a time or something.
I mean, you have to select Ice Arrows from the ammo list anyways if they were doing traditional arrows, this just makes the list longer (and it'll probably default to the last chosen item so you just have to tap up to reselect it after selecting it once

Plus there are sorting options and I wouldn't be surprised if one of those is by favorites, so I don't think arrow selection will be that much of a hassle in practice

I mean, you have to select Ice Arrows from the ammo list anyways if they were doing traditional arrows, this just makes the list longer (and it'll probably default to the last chosen item so you just have to tap up to reselect it after selecting it once

Plus there are sorting options and I wouldn't be surprised if one of those is by favorites, so I don't think arrow selection will be that much of a hassle in practice
That was a complaint in BotW though, but we’ll see.

The CFO cancelled their tip and I don't have to go into the office tomorrow. Now I won't have the sudden urge to step out to take a giant poop at 10am tomorrow morning!

am debating on whether to watch during my lab while my reaction is running (and contain my excitement internally) or to wait til I get home later and be able to yell my lungs out

That's roughly four minutes
True, but Nintendo 95% of the time lists a time under the actual runtime. They know some people (a pretty small number of people, but still) will be a bit disappointed if they announce it’s roughly four minutes and then is less than that. They’re big on setting expectations with the old “underpromise, overdeliver”. Which is kind of similar to TOTK as a whole right now, now that I think about it.

@bellydrum

Mike Odyssey is one of the YouTubers who wants to have inside info saying they heard we were getting a Zelda direct this week. Then another Youtuber saying “well we didn’t get a direct, but but but he was close enough” lol
uggggghhhhh lol

Did yall see this?

The GameStop employee who showed the inventory screen that turned out to be the ZOLED, yeah they're no longer a GameStop employee. And according to GS this person was awesome at their job but Nintendo forced the company to do it.

They're clamping down.

Realizing that the waiting period from Skyward Sword to BOTW, was actually not as long as the waiting period between BOTW and Tears of the Kingdom.

Been waiting for this for a looooong time. Hope tomorrow gives the goods.

Did yall see this?

The GameStop employee who showed the inventory screen that turned out to be the ZOLED, yeah they're no longer a GameStop employee. And according to GS this person was awesome at their job but Nintendo forced the company to do it.

They're clamping down.
I mean, part of their job would be to not leak stuff like that so in that sense they're not very good at their job.

I mean, part of their job would be to not leak stuff like that so in that sense they're not very good at their job.
Well the article makes it sound like a first offense warning was on the table but Nintendo forced them to terminate employment. 🤷‍♂️

Just wanna say that this morning on the surgical center I was "chao!"ing some of your posts but the phone wasn't mute, and everybody there thought it was a cat meowing lmao.

Also I know I'm gonna get disappointed but the thing that would make me cry if confirmed would be Zelda playable and underwater exploration. I would definitely exchange that for anything else and ignore any fails the game has if those two happened.

Building off Phendrift's comment earlier about BotW's (title) debut trailer, I hope tomorrow's trailer is edited to the full version of the main theme, which I'm kind of obsessed with.

After BotW's release, Manaka Kataoka spoke a little bit about the logic behind the game's main theme on the Zelda blog (aside: I hope we get a lot more developer interviews and similar blogs, panels, etc. after this trailer and over the rest of the year). She deliberately wanted an unusual chord progression for the theme and used instruments like the erhu and shinobue because she felt they represented a world in ruin. Here's the erhu bit in BotW's main theme extracted: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/character/zelda/blog/media/main-theme-niko.mp3

It has such a mournful quality, relaying, like she says, a world that is paradoxically in ruins yet still so vibrant. The two halves of the song also capture that contradiction between the serenity of the landscape and Link's more solemn journey. It's a really beautiful, melancholic theme, and it's a perfect fit for the narrative conveyed in BotW's debut trailer. In contrast, TotK returns to the same instruments but then plays them in a much more... festive? jazzy? way. If there's a story being told here, it seems to be a much more celebratory or triumphant one, and that distinction excites me. Also, y'know, it just sounds fantastic. It actually reminds me of Ryo Nagamatsu's compositional style, where it feels like you can actually hear each performer playing the song live.

BOTW - its the final trailer before the expansion pass trailer

i hope that the 3rd TOTK trailer will be similar and leaving everyone with a lot of question marks

Conversation about this game has been pretty divisive tbh. This need to hit and since they are branding this as the last trailer, they are probably confident about it. Still i'm not expecting something as good as the 2017 Botw trailer.

Conversation about this game has been pretty divisive tbh. This need to hit and since they are branding this as the last trailer, they are probably confident about it. Still i'm not expecting something as good as the 2017 Botw trailer.
maybe on enthusiast forums, but the 10 min demonstration was a big hit with the wide audience

maybe on enthusiast forums, but the 10 min demonstration was a big hit with the wide audience
Yeah, I think the negativity is pretty limited to a small pocket of long time fans. My recommendations on YT are filled with reaction videos and a ton are from bigger channels that I’ve never seen associated with Nintendo games. But then I get recommended a video with just a few hundred views about the death of the series because of what they showed.

I hope people aren't expecting a blowout equivalent to BotW 2017 trailer. It's clear the last thing Nintendo is going to do is show off too much. It's pointless for them to go this hard in hiding things and then a month before release, splurge a bunch of super cool secret stuff that's the key to why this game is a 10/10 masterpiece

I hope people aren't expecting a blowout equivalent to BotW 2017 trailer. It's clear the last thing Nintendo is going to do is show off too much. It's pointless for them to go this hard in hiding things and then a month before release, splurge a bunch of super cool secret stuff that's the key to why this game is a 10/10 masterpiece
There honestly have been times where Nintendo did full blowouts a month before release.

I can see it going both ways.

1) we get a typical Nintendo blowout with this trailer. Tons of story details and characters are revealed. While the main quest likely won’t be detailed (dungeons etc.), we’ll come out knowing a lot more than we thought and this will wind up being a typical Nintendo pre release cycle all along.

2) the trailer is just as mysterious as the first 3. Chaos ensues

Quite honestly, I can see the first one almost as much as I can see the second. The thing that makes it weird is - we probably were not supposed to have 4 mysterious teaser trailers. This game was likely internally delayed even before being publicly delayed. Like, Nintendo could’ve not wanted to end the previous direct with it - knowing they wanted to release whatever tomorrow’s trailer was only a month before - but did so to assuage fears that the game would be delayed again.

So this whole image that’s been created of “they want to keep everything as close to the chest as possible” could be entirely erased tomorrow as we begin a month long hype cycle on the game. All the discourse rendered worthless. I’ve kind of bought into the “secrecy marketing” discourse, but I actually think the aforementioned scenario has a non-zero chance of happening. Again, it’s very common for Nintendo to reveal a ton just a month before release.

Either way, tomorrow we’ll find out for sure just how far they’re willing to go.

I'm not expecting a trailer as crazy or better than the final BotW trailer, but I think this will at least be in that league. I think this trailer will be far bolder than the February trailer.

Super excited for the trailer and kinda glad it wasn't today, since it was a long day and knowing the trailer dropped today would have made me gittery all day lol I unfortunately can't watch the trailer live because of a work meeting, but at least I can watch it only about an hour later rather then end of day (which would have been the case today). I am almost tempted to dip out of my meeting for 3 min lol but I know I want to give the trailer my undivided attention so I will be patient and wait

I am almost tempted to dip out of my meeting for 3 min lol but I know I want to give the trailer my undivided attention so I will be patient and wait

We are all in this boat, lol. Some of us may forget our wallet in the car and have to go get it...which takes at least 3 minutes.

Last edited:
Are there any other cool pre-ordering gifts that come with the game with other companies? I've seen one recently for Walmart, the black wall scroll I believe, but I also checked out their gold wall scroll and I wish that was still in stock.

Are there any other cool pre-ordering gifts that come with the game with other companies? I've seen one recently for Walmart, the black wall scroll I believe, but I also checked out their gold wall scroll and I wish that was still in stock.

Honestly, it depends what country you're in, I'm assuming you're in the US?

I'm against the playable Zelda cause I don't see how Nintendo could add it without sacrificing seamlessness of the open world experience, unless they allow players to freely switch between Link and Zelda anytime anywhere like Xenoblade, which seems highly unlikely for a game like TotK.

Based on how smooth the skydiving looked in the gameplay demo, I think Zelda team is trying to tackle real seamless open world experience with TotK. BotW is already pretty seamless but the shrine part still requires loading time, which is fine cause they are small puzzle boxes scattered around the world, but the loading screen still breaks the immersion to some degree imo.

That's why I think sky islands (at least some of them) will be the shrine equivalent in TotK. The green spiral shrine-like structures are the places where Link can break the hight limitation of the Ascend ability, so that he can be directly ascended to the small islands (which function as puzzle boxes) up in the sky, in addition to other huge sky islands purely for exploration. This way no loading screen is needed, cause it's hidden behind the smooth transition between the land and the sky, which makes the whole gameplay experience feels seamless.

I assume no loading screen in underground area as well.

Now imagine in such a seamless open world game, suddenly there's a separated section (or multiple separated sections) where Zelda is playable, wouldn't it feel odd and immersion breaking? If adding playable Zelda means sacrificing seamlessness, then I would rather not have that feature at all.

Did yall see this?

They're clamping down.
apparently the image wasn't even theirs, they just speculated from that image that it might be a oled

FtXqFEjaUAAI5MZ

Just meandering through my old save file to get excited, I rode a floating log around the Lurelin Bay and it was still somehow entertaining. This is what I love about BOTW and hopefully TOTK

This thread finally slowed a bit from earlier, figures I finally get off work and everyone is in bed early already, probably with one eye closed and the other watching every minute on their clocks tick by as slow as if Link was perpetually stuck bullet time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom