• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh this?

akbCPge.png

I guess, since the trees are only on that side and it's noticeable from afar.
Yes, I first noticed in the cleaner press kit screenshots from Nintendo. Same shot that also shows a dragon and what looks like a 'cable', both on the left.

Switch_TLOZ_TOTK_screen_06.jpg

Glowing branch is curious but I have a hard time believing that you would require glowing grapple points, and even if you did, that only one of them would be visible in that entire structure. Perhaps it is an energy recharge spot, if there was such a thing.

I would think grapple points wouldn't really exist, or wouldn't be as telegraphed as glowing points. I would guess that you would be able to grapple most material

Yes, I first noticed in the cleaner press kit screenshots from Nintendo. Same shot that also shows a dragon and what looks like a 'cable', both on the left.

Just wondering what area is this over again? As he's falling it kind of looks like Lanayru Wetlands but not sure.

If the branch is glowing, that particular point might be a way to gain height to traverse that large temple structure, or a swing point to travel between two islands. Not enough visibility in that image to tell us specifically what it's for, just that a green glow that matches the spirit energy suggests some interaction.

Depends on how they choose to balance a grappling mechanic with climbing, like if you really could just grapple any climbable surface, and how early in the game you'd get such an item.

I still think the bokoblins' new horns are a whip/hookshot target
Could be, different monsters could have different exploitable weaknesses that we can take advantage of with our abilities. That would certainly add another layer to combat. I think a whip makes the most sense, and they allowed us to use a grappling hook on monsters in WW, but obviously just to get items.

I know many have speculated that we’re heading back to the β€œcollect seven things” of previous Zelda games and there is good reason to believe that. But that alone won’t work in a world this large

I don't think there's any reason to believe that, at least, not in any sense that Botw wasn't already "collect 4 things". They're not going to roll back on such highly lauded things like real openness to do anything anywhere.at any point in any order you want.

I do not count spin-offs as they are not part of the main story and Ganondorf the man is a lot more interesting than Ganon the beast.

They're as much part of the "main story" as any other given game in the series, in that they're pretty much almost entirely self contained. Or are we acting like games like triforce heroes are critical ("Link wears a wig and fights an evil dressmaker alongside two completely unexplained doppelgangers") are plot critical but somehow cadence of Hyrule and Hyrule warriors (especially the second one, which has far more story and character development for otherwise "canon" characters than several main Zelda games) are not?

If the branch is glowing, that particular point might be a way to gain height to traverse that large temple structure, or a swing point to travel between two islands. Not enough visibility in that image to tell us specifically what it's for, just that a green glow that matches the spirit energy suggests some interaction.

Depends on how they choose to balance a grappling mechanic with climbing, like if you really could just grapple any climbable surface, and how early in the game you'd get such an item.

I've been replaying Skyward Sword as of recent. What if they bring back the whip, and the tree limb in question can be swung from with the whip? (Side note, I forgot how awesome some the equipable items are in that game).

Hookshot/clawshot would seem like late game upgrade, right?

Edit: just saw that awesomegames23 also brought up the whip. So seems like it has been discussed here. I would also love to see it return.

I know the colors are backwards but this reminded me of...

yB4yAzi.png

LoftwingGrooseSS.png

Glowing branch is curious but I have a hard time believing that you would require glowing grapple points, and even if you did, that only one of them would be visible in that entire structure. Perhaps it is an energy recharge spot, if there was such a thing.

I would think grapple points wouldn't really exist, or wouldn't be as telegraphed as glowing points. I would guess that you would be able to grapple most material
but this is exactly how they could get past the problem of a "hookshot" breaking the whole climbing thing and why a classic "hookshot" will not be in the game but rather that grappling arm thing from the concept art.

yea this feels pretty straightforward in terms of solutions. if it's your magic/cursed arm, then it can't "shoot a hook into wood/rock" and thus would need these grapple points and you solved the problem of not having a hookshot and trivializing climbing/vertical obstacles AND it naturally ties into the whole ability thing coming from the corrupted arm AND it would let you also use it as a kind of whip again. and you know how they love things that solve multiple things at once.

Last edited:
I don't think there's any reason to believe that, at least, not in any sense that Botw wasn't already "collect 4 things". They're not going to roll back on such highly lauded things like real openness to do anything anywhere.at any point in any order you want.

They're as much part of the "main story" as any other given game in the series, in that they're pretty much almost entirely self contained. Or are we acting like games like triforce heroes are critical ("Link wears a wig and fights an evil dressmaker alongside two completely unexplained doppelgangers") are plot critical but somehow cadence of Hyrule and Hyrule warriors (especially the second one, which has far more story and character development for otherwise "canon" characters than several main Zelda games) are not?
Defeating the Divine Beasts was completely optional though. I think from a story perspective, you will need to collect the seven β€œtears of the kingdom” or whatever the key MacGuffin will be in order to beat the game. Now, that doesn’t mean you have to collect them all in a specific order necessarily, but I don’t think you can move to a more story oriented game and be as open as BOTW. I truly believe we’re going to see a blend of both traditional Zelda and BOTW open-world with this one.

Defeating the Divine Beasts was completely optional though. I think from a story perspective, you will need to collect the seven β€œtears of the kingdom” or whatever the key MacGuffin will be in order to beat the game. Now, that doesn’t mean you have to collect them all in a specific order necessarily, but I don’t think you can move to a more story oriented game and be as open as BOTW. I truly believe we’re going to see a blend of both traditional Zelda and BOTW open-world with this one.
the thing with that is that we've done the "go straight to ganon and beat the game" thing and it was cute. we don't really "need" to be able to do this again. they could do a version of this where you could do dungeons in any order without requiring items from other dungeons already or not all of the "tears" being like a thing that's in a dungeons but maybe a world boss has it that is just roaming the area that you could go defeat whenever. there's ways to deal with this problem that aren't as either-or as old zelda vs botw approach

but this is exactly how they could get past the problem of a "hookshot" breaking the whole climbing thing and why a classic "hookshot" will not be in the game but rather that grappling arm thing from the concept art.
other ways of limiting it than the terrain it applies to. I could see them doing a wirebug type charge or something

I've been replaying Skyward Sword as of recent. What if they bring back the whip, and the tree limb in question can be swung from with the whip? (Side note, I forgot how awesome some the equipable items are in that game).

Hookshot/clawshot would seem like late game upgrade, right?

Edit: just saw that awesomegames23 also brought up the whip. So seems like it has been discussed here. I would also love to see it return.

yea this feels pretty straightforward in terms of solutions. if it's your magic/cursed arm, then it can't "shoot a hook into wood/rock" and thus would need these grapple points and you solved the problem of not having a hookshot and trivializing climbing/vertical obstacles AND it naturally ties into the whole ability thing coming from the corrupted arm AND it would let you also use it as a kind of whip again. and you know how they love things that solve multiple things at once.

To add to this, if the vials on Link's belt and the green spirals on the surface are ways to charge Link's arm and extend his magic meter, then over time the magic grappling arm can reach longer distances. Start out as a short range whip and become a hookshot over time, without needing to separate it into two items, and without trivializing traversal at the start of the game.

Grapple points are pretty anti-BotW, so if a hookshot is in I’d expect them to balance it in other ways. Shorten its length, make it use stamina, have it bounce off metal, etc.

If you want to see what a Hookshot/Paraglider combo could look like, look no further than Just Cause 2. You can hook almost anywhere and nothing about it is game breaking. I'm sure Nintendo can pull off something satisfying.

If you want to see what a Hookshot/Paraglider combo could look like, look no further than Just Cause 2. You can hook almost anywhere and nothing about it is game breaking. I'm sure Nintendo can pull off something satisfying.
:D

Yeah, a hookshot won't have grappling points if any other item and ability in BotW is any indication.

I don't think they will bring back the hookshot if they can't find a way to make it work without grappling points.

Yeah, a hookshot won't have grappling points if any other item and ability in BotW is any indication.

I don't think they will bring back the hookshot if they can't find a way to make it work without grappling points.
This kinda does against the glowy-branch theory, but I wonder if it could work like stasis or magnesis, where you don't see the stuff it works on until you activate it. Like, hold the button to pull the hookshot out and suddenly everything that can be hookshotted gets highlighted, then release to let it fly.

That'd be one way to have it function with specific points without having the indicators for those points becoming an eyesore against the landscape.

that's why it's not a "hookshot" as I've been saying. let go of the visual image of hookshot with its big garish targets and literal mechanical chains
double_clawshot_skyward_sword__banner-auto-cropping.jpg

zelda_hookshot_pic_1.jpg

tumblr_mn9xh6UW341qiidnro1_r1_500.gif

and remember that this was one of their botw concept art pieces:

E38csNAVEAI-_uJ.jpg

they've clearly left that Link design behind but the idea of a broken master sword and a ... let's call it "special arm situation" is what we have now in totk. so all the conceptual gameplay things here are fair game still.

who knows, maybe the glowy tree branch thing even signifies something else entirely, not a grapple point. maybe you can make those rope connection spots yourself or something.

Wasn't there a Hookshot very early on in BOTW's development but they decided against it in the end because it took away from the climbing mechanic? I swear I can remember reading something along those lines.

But Nintendo never completely abandon ideas that didn't pan out, they always revisit them later.

the thing with that is that we've done the "go straight to ganon and beat the game" thing and it was cute. we don't really "need" to be able to do this again. they could do a version of this where you could do dungeons in any order without requiring items from other dungeons already or not all of the "tears" being like a thing that's in a dungeons but maybe a world boss has it that is just roaming the area that you could go defeat whenever. there's ways to deal with this problem that aren't as either-or as old zelda vs botw approach
Fully agree. I am starting to wonder if each region will be its own sort of mini world with sky, ground, & underground sections that all interconnect. Within each world there is a major problem plaguing the region that must be overcome through environmental puzzles and eventually a legit dungeon in order to acquire its β€œtear”. For example, we know that Death Mountain is pouring out malice, which could be the problem to solve in the Eldin region. There appears to be a tornado causing problems in the Hebra region. Central Hyrule has a floating Hyrule Castle. We also know that the Great Duku tree missing, although that is also technically Eldin. Regardless, we haven’t seen much of the southern part of the map, but I could see similar issues in each of those regions as well. How you approach these different issues / regions would be up to the player, but all would be mandatory to solve in order to beat the game. To me, this would be a perfect blend of old and new Zelda.

In previous Zelda games you could grapple / hookshot onto climbable surfaces like chain link fences or vines, despite there also being obvious hookshot targets.

If they want to include it as an arm ability, I'm sure they can work something out.

A tree branch specifically hanging off a temple seems suited for something for Link to swing from and generate enough momentum to go flying up.

I saw some Valentine's day decorations today and it dawned on me. I really really want Hearts and Pieces of Hearts back. I don't mind the bulk of the healing being done through eating but I want to actually be able to find hearts again as like a somewhat rare drop. Maybe even treat them like fruit where if you find a heart drop it automatically heals one heart of health upon contact, but if you find one growing like the plants in Skyward Sword, you can collect those and use them in cooking.

Also just have pieces of hearts everywhere. Like make it take six to get a whole container and you can just scatter them all across the overworld. As like I didnt mind the spirit orbs, as they narratively made sense, but I don't want a repeat of that. I want the traditional stuff back, and I think this one small change would go a long ways towards making those fans who felt neglected by BOTW more welcomed by ToTK.

Also make the enemy drops more flashy. I liked how things exploded out of enemies in Wind waker and the rupees and hearts would sparkle, I want that. Not the bland fall to the ground of BOTW.

I have to say, this shot really does evoke a similar desire to explore and see 'what's over there' that the base game had. It remains to be seen just how freely we can choose to navigate to/from these islets. The 'straight-line' style of navigation was one of the appealing parts of Breath of the Wild, and probably one of the I least liked Zora's Domain, where the rain almost forced you to traverse a specific way.

Wasn't there a Hookshot very early on in BOTW's development but they decided against it in the end because it took away from the climbing mechanic? I swear I can remember reading something along those lines.

But Nintendo never completely abandon ideas that didn't pan out, they always revisit them later.
I mean, yea, we were talking about that specific thing a page or two ago. That's why we're still talking about this now :)

Some wanted to have one but it broke the climbing, that's basically what my last few posts were trying to address.

I have to say, this shot really does evoke a similar desire to explore and see 'what's over there' that the base game had. It remains to be seen just how freely we can choose to navigate to/from these islets. The 'straight-line' style of navigation was one of the appealing parts of Breath of the Wild, and probably one of the I least liked Zora's Domain, where the rain almost forced you to traverse a specific way.
I have been thinking this will be the case as far as being in the sky and looking out at all the far off floating islands as well depending on how many there are. I think in one trailer analysis video I watched where they show the scene of Link falling before he lands on the stone bird glider, they counted 57 silhouettes of floating islands off in the distance just from that one screen capture.

Also I think from our new perspective looking down at the surface will vastly change the way we view the landscape of the surface and seeing the hieroglyphs in that same shot from trailer, looking down on them might be an example of something that we can’t see when we are on the surface. So they could create all kinds of unique features on the surface that we can only see from the sky that gives us that feeling of β€œwhat the heck is that!” and be forever distracted like in BotW.

Yeah they said something about Spider-Man. But having already given you the opportunity to clamber all over this Hyrule, it's probably not a big deal to give him a hookshot this time around, especially if those Sky islands are mostly walled with non-stick surfaces.

I bet those stones in the first trailer will be used as the weak point for underground Talus (opposed to gem rocks, luminous stone rocks, flint rocks).

as someone that counts botw to his top games:
1) yes
2) i liked it, and felt like its a "are you all-time prepared".... but yeah, its a hit or miss situation that needs a semi permanent solution for most
3)yeah.
4)nope. cant agree here. but have some more denser areas maybe. (like the sky islands, underground caves, some new islands)
5)i am fine with the number, i see how many of those where ignorable. dont see a point in removing them if you dont replace them, but sure, try to make the rewards better that people dont ignore them.
6) they can do better...but they where already great/aced it. so... i wont be against better, im just against "give me a blaring melody all the time and remove the ambient pieces!" takes.
7) yes
8) dont know, if they can make it work, sure.
9) yes
10) i was fine, but some tweaking (especially in reagarsd to new equipment and enemy types) will be needed
11) yes
12) yes (was fine, but for a sequel it needs new puzzles)
13) yeah, but kinda the same as enemy variety
im mostly on your side as one that thinks the game is 10/10.

I like GameXplain, but this is kind of trash. It COULD be delayed, but it is not at all likely to be delayed.

Yeah... its a slow period, they don't get as much stuff to cover for a zelda as they usually do, february's game is a remake, ...
they had filler videos all the time, sometimes worse then others. since they want to fill the channel with zelda content as a countdown, but did already everything that's relevant... you can expect some stupid filler takes that none of them really thinks.
Just a random cute idea, I think in the brief interlude of peace between BotW and TotK the children of the various tribes should form their own "Bombers' Secret Society" like in Majora's Mask, and they give you a Bombers' Notebook to track sidequests and NPC interactions, with 'Collectopedia' cards like in Xenoblade 3.
oh yeah, that would be great. generally taking a page out of MMs book in regards to side quests. There are 3 types of quests rewards:
  • skills/resources (loot)
  • challenge
  • lore/story
the first needs to be balanced in regards to the whole game, so its easy to lean into safer rewards that are not destroying the whole balance, but also kinda feel pointless. (like in so many games, quests rewarding you with rupies that you did not need anymore...)
challenges need to be designed and can take a ton of resources (dungeons, boss fights, unique encounters)
usually you balance stuff, but i feel like good written side stories with lore and lovable characters are the easiest to parallelized, without having the added side content come in the way of main game development. having externals write and design side content characters that you integrate don't interact that much with the mechanics and balancing of the game. In other words: go for story in the side content!

From what I recall BotW doesn't really have any 'swinging' physics involving Link, like swinging with the grappling hook or whip in Skyward Sword and Wind Waker. You could swing other objects with magnesis, but there aren't any moments where you can manipulate Link's own velocity or momentum with a rope. That seems ripe for some physics puzzles involving a grappling hook, and as a Spider-Man like traversal method.

I havent' actually played Monster Hunter Rise but that wirebug looks pretty similar to what I imagine.

show
giphy.gif

vub1dzi302461.jpg

Source.

I was thinking about this cause I finished Kunai recently, and the grappling momentum in that game was fun :p
floorislava.gif
while i love it, i feel like its a different skillset then many more causal zelda players have (at least i know 2 that aren't that into momentum based gameplay), still, would love it.

Monster Maze, one of the very few Zelda YouTubers actually worth listening to.

as someone that counts botw to his top games:
1) yes
2) i liked it, and felt like its a "are you all-time prepared".... but yeah, its a hit or miss situation that needs a semi permanent solution for most
3)yeah.
4)nope. cant agree here. but have some more denser areas maybe. (like the sky islands, underground caves, some new islands)
5)i am fine with the number, i see how many of those where ignorable. dont see a point in removing them if you dont replace them, but sure, try to make the rewards better that people dont ignore them.
6) they can do better...but they where already great/aced it. so... i wont be against better, im just against "give me a blaring melody all the time and remove the ambient pieces!" takes.
7) yes
8) dont know, if they can make it work, sure.
9) yes
10) i was fine, but some tweaking (especially in reagarsd to new equipment and enemy types) will be needed
11) yes
12) yes (was fine, but for a sequel it needs new puzzles)
13) yeah, but kinda the same as enemy variety
im mostly on your side as one that thinks the game is 10/10.

Yeah... its a slow period, they don't get as much stuff to cover for a zelda as they usually do, february's game is a remake, ...
they had filler videos all the time, sometimes worse then others. since they want to fill the channel with zelda content as a countdown, but did already everything that's relevant... you can expect some stupid filler takes that none of them really thinks.

oh yeah, that would be great. generally taking a page out of MMs book in regards to side quests. There are 3 types of quests rewards:
  • skills/resources (loot)
  • challenge
  • lore/story
the first needs to be balanced in regards to the whole game, so its easy to lean into safer rewards that are not destroying the whole balance, but also kinda feel pointless. (like in so many games, quests rewarding you with rupies that you did not need anymore...)
challenges need to be designed and can take a ton of resources (dungeons, boss fights, unique encounters)
usually you balance stuff, but i feel like good written side stories with lore and lovable characters are the easiest to parallelized, without having the added side content come in the way of main game development. having externals write and design side content characters that you integrate don't interact that much with the mechanics and balancing of the game. In other words: go for story in the side content!

while i love it, i feel like its a different skillset then many more causal zelda players have (at least i know 2 that aren't that into momentum based gameplay), still, would love it.
For some reason I got a notif that you quoted me in this topic despite never posting in this one before (and seeing the lack of quote anyways). Huh...

Crumb development (maybe)

The background of the webpage is now blue, was it like that before?
Looking at the other game eShop pages, it looks like they implemented new design where the banner matches a color on the game art (Celeste is purple, Game Builder Garage is yellow, etc.), in which case this banner matches the blue skies of the ToTK image.

For some reason I got a notif that you quoted me in this topic despite never posting in this one before (and seeing the lack of quote anyways). Huh...
oh, yeah, im sorry, i had you still in the quotes from another topic and overlooked it. my bad ^^"

That shot is ugly lol unlike a lot of the stuff from the 2021 trailer. Just grey and yellow blobs

could not disagree more. the yellow grass and the grey stone is unlike anything that we saw in botw and it creates such a striking and otherworldly visual

if you wanna talk ugly botw shots look at the gerudo highlands

My favorite shots from each trailer. Probably because these look like the biggest departure from the previous game, especially the heavenly glow of the Sky Kingdom.

One benefit of engine, artstyle and story continuity is seeing the same character we've controlled for hundreds of hours end up in an unfamiliar place and situation. For example, playing as the Hero of Time in Clock Town felt disconcerting at times.

Now all the familiarity of Shiekah tech is gone, the man pulling the strings behind Calamity Ganon is awake, the world is afflicted with even worse disasters and the weapon we'd spend hours trying to obtain has been melted. Quite the predicament for someone who's already saved the world.

Botw2-trailer-1.jpg

Switch_SequelZeldaBOTW_screen_08.png

Switch_TLOZ_TOTK_screen_05.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom