• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered the amiibo from Best Buy 2 months ago, hoping that gets shipped soon, it'd be nice to get it on or not long after Friday.

Best Buy hasn’t updated a thing for me forever. I’m glad I went with my back up plan to also get it digitally. I had two back up physical copies ordered, I ended up cancelling one of them. The other physical one I will pick up on Friday, I’m not much of a collector so I will probably bury it in the back yard somewhere and create a treasure map with the coordinates to it and leave the map in the house when I move out for some lucky new budding Zelda fan to find.

I am worried about my order, it still not prepare and i dont want to cancel it since the prize is low for 38€. I cross the fingers to get the game friday 🥲.

Surprised ESRB hasn't posted their ratings description of the game yet.
Found it:

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Nintendo

Platforms: Nintendo Switch, [Redacted]

Mature 17+ (M)

Fantasy Blood and Gore, Intense Fantasy Violence, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Strong Sexual Content, Use of Drugs and Alcohol

Found it:

Nintendo

Mature 17+ (M)

Fantasy Blood and Gore, Intense Fantasy Violence, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Strong Sexual Content, Use of Drugs and Alcohol

No wonder so many people looked at the art book.

Found it:

Nintendo

Mature 17+ (M)

I keep telling Link to stay away from the damn shrooms. M for mature. Here we are Link, hope you're happy.

Found it:

Nintendo

Mature 17+ (M)

You forgot Gambling. Those Zonai Gacha machines are gonna require some currency ;)

Following my first playthroughs of Minish Cap and A Link to the Past, here is my updated Zelda tier list. I thoroughly enjoyed Minish Cap, and I'm struggling to determine whether I enjoyed it more than Skyward Sword. They have different highs and lows so it's made for a tough battle!

ALttP was god tier. Still waiting for that Twilight Princess HD port before I rate it fairly -- I only ever made it to the Bridge of Eldin showdown before my GameCube disc corrupted back in the day. Looking forward to giving Oracle of Ages a fair shake once it's on NSO!

Following my first playthroughs of Minish Cap and A Link to the Past, here is my updated Zelda tier list. I thoroughly enjoyed Minish Cap, and I'm struggling to determine whether I enjoyed it more than Skyward Sword. They have different highs and lows so it's made for a tough battle!

ALttP was god tier. Still waiting for that Twilight Princess HD port before I rate it fairly -- I only ever made it to the Bridge of Eldin showdown before my GameCube disc corrupted back in the day. Looking forward to giving Oracle of Ages a fair shake once it's on NSO!

I'm curious what your experience with FSA was like to warrant a C? Maybe it's nostalgia goggles talking but I remember having a blast with it

This is the flippin' week everyone - I cant stress how happy I am.

Talked to a friend who's on the brink to beat BotW for the first time and he just told me he only found 6 korok seeds in total and I am baffled.
How does one only find 6? And for a first timer having that small of an inventory and be close to beat it is crazy to me haha
Aren't koroks like 70% of the game to 100% it? He missed most of the game lol

Tier lists are fun. Here's mine:

S Tier - Genre-defining, industry-shaking masterpieces
Ocarina of Time*
Breath of the Wild
A Link to the Past**

A Tier - Excellent implementations of an established formula
Link's Awakening***
Twilight Princess
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons

B Tier - Bold and innovative, but with key flaws or controversial design choices
Majora's Mask
The Wind Waker
A Link Between Worlds

C Tier - Solid but unspectacular
The Legend of Zelda**
Skyward Sword
The Minish Cap

D Tier - Decent but lacking
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
Four Swords Adventures

F Tier - This ain't it
The Adventure of Link**
Tri Force Heroes
Four Swords

* The greatest game of all time.
** I didn't play these games at the time of their release, making it difficult to properly assess them.
*** My personal favorite.

I'm expecting TotK to slide into A tier. I just don't see it being innovative enough to make S.

Wow not having Minish Cap at S rank. I loved it when I was young, but I wasn’t sure if it was because I was so young at the time. Replaying it on NSO I got my answer. I love the game.
played it for the first time on NSO. Gotta say I can't blame anyone for putting it that high lol.

inject it into my veins already
Tier lists are fun. Here's mine:

S Tier - Genre-defining, industry-shaking masterpieces
Ocarina of Time*
Breath of the Wild
A Link to the Past**

A Tier - Excellent implementations of an established formula
Link's Awakening***
Twilight Princess
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons

B Tier - Bold and innovative, but with key flaws or controversial design choices
Majora's Mask
The Wind Waker
A Link Between Worlds

C Tier - Solid but unspectacular
The Legend of Zelda**
Skyward Sword
The Minish Cap

D Tier - Decent but lacking
Phantom Hourglass
Spirit Tracks
Four Swords Adventures

F Tier - This ain't it
The Adventure of Link**
Tri Force Heroes
Four Swords

* The greatest game of all time.
** I didn't play these games at the time of their release, making it difficult to properly assess them.
*** My personal favorite.

I'm expecting TotK to slide into A tier. I just don't see it being innovative enough to make S.

How is A Link Between Worlds flawed in any way? Not having that! It's top down Zelda at its finest.

I'm curious what your experience with FSA was like to warrant a C? Maybe it's nostalgia goggles talking but I remember having a blast with it
Oh, well the explanation is simple: I'm a dumbass and interpreted FSA as Four Swords...which is probably D tier in retrospect. FSA is a B for me.
Wow not having Minish Cap at S rank. I loved it when I was young, but I wasn’t sure if it was because I was so young at the time. Replaying it on NSO I got my answer. I love the game.
Minish Cap is great! Low-A tier at best for me. Loved the world and new mechanics, didn't love Kinstones and only found the final two dungeons great, but it's a memorable 2D Zelda without a doubt. Worse than LA for me, and the soundtrack is far from my favorite, but the items are a lot of fun. I think I'll put it above SS when all is said and done - I'd be way more inclined to replay MC first despite the higher highs in SS.

How is A Link Between Worlds flawed in any way? Not having that! It's top down Zelda at its finest.
Borrows far too heavily from ALttP, and getting every item at the beginning hinders meaningful progression and the difficultly curve. It was a good first attempt at opening up Zelda again prior to BotW, but was a bit flawed in the execution. Plus it's kinda ugly.

I actually had it at the bottom of A tier at one point but I dropped it down to give every tier 3 games (if we're counting the Oracles together).

Oh, well the explanation is simple: I'm a dumbass and interpreted FSA as Four Swords...which is probably D tier in retrospect. FSA is a B for me.
Ah OK that makes sense. I'd understand a lower ranking for it if one only ever got to play single player, can be a bit of a mission to be sure. Multiplayer though chef's kiss

It's happening omggg

564738555.png

Lists are fun.

S Tier
  1. All the Zelda Games

50 feet of manure

Why Play this Tier
  1. Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland

I've been bouncing around to different reaction videos and BOTW let's plays to help pass the time. There is unfortunately not a lot of dragon reaction vids. My first sighting was Farosh and it was such a magical moment. Would be neat to see people's first reactions without having to skim through a whole let's play.

There are now as many days left before TotK as there are pieces of the Triforce.

Today, I wish for courage for us to face these last few days of restlessness. Tomorrow, I wish for wisdom, so we can be patient knowing the reward will be worth it. On the day after, I wish for power, so we can push through what will be the hardest last stretch.

Pray with me to the goddesses, friends.

I'm playing through Minish Cap for the first time ever in the lead up to TotK. I agree it's fantastic!

And there is Ask the developer: Tears of the Kingdom Part 1:
That last bit at the end regarding sound and distance blew me away. Not something I ever felt the need to improve while playing botw, but knowing they took the time to implement such a concept amazes me! Can't wait to hear the result in about 3 days!!!

Fujibayashi: Just like somewhere you know inside and out, we understand where everything is in Hyrule from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and because of that, we believed it was possible to create new gameplay. For this reason, in the initial proposal, we clearly stated "the setting will not change" as an important concept. Even when I shared this with the team members here, there were no objections, and we were all aligned on that idea from that point onward.

Fujibayashi: Just like somewhere you know inside and out, we understand where everything is in Hyrule from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and because of that, we believed it was possible to create new gameplay. For this reason, in the initial proposal, we clearly stated "the setting will not change" as an important concept. Even when I shared this with the team members here, there were no objections, and we were all aligned on that idea from that point onward.
The fact that they never questioned the return to Breath of the Wild's Hyrule is really interesting in light of how much anxiety players have had about it. I'm impressed with the boldness of that decision, although I'm sure some people will still find fault with it.

The fact that they never questioned the return to Breath of the Wild's Hyrule is really interesting in light of how much anxiety players have had about it. I'm impressed with the boldness of that decision, although I'm sure some people will still find fault with it.
I think they will explain it even more in future after game is out. Their concept was always =go see what has changed, how the world evolved. As I said previously, if they wanted to build a completely new Hyrule they would have no problem doing that, but they just didn't want to.

Imagine if

Interviewer: Were there any names floating around before you settled on Tears of the Kingdom?

Aonuma: Well we had a few names that we were thinking about, and one day someone on the team suggested Breath of the Darkness. We laughed for 6 months straight and had to delay the game as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom