• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to the drugstore later to stock up on analsgesics and eyedrops for the inevitable headaches I will get from playing TotK for too many hours during the weekend.

I've taken thursday off to get some extra rest to ensure my body is ready for a TOTK marathon

I must know what her deal is. Ancient Zelda? Sky Zelda? Zonai Zelda? All of the above? I need answers!

Same. She has the identical emblem on her forehead like Zelda has in the final trailer. So much implications. I'm soooo curious.

i cannot find a BOTW startopic but some things to pass time as we wait for the entry to the kingdom

Very awesome dude and his geology professor , wait till she sees the sky islands in TOTK

This will be a part of another Ask The Developer session tomorrow but am putting it into spoiler just in case someone don't want to see it. It shows Link running around on some crafted vehicle based on BOTW stuff, there are still Skeikah Towers and the text shows "footage under development" so to me it seems like they were just testing stuff in base BOTW game. It shows Wii U GamePad D-pad UI, confirming it's running on the Wii U, they are always prototyping on older hardware like with ARMS for example.

This is fascinating. I'm guessing this means they were toying around with vehicles during the development of Breath of the Wild, if anything.

This is fascinating. I'm guessing this means they were toying around with vehicles during the development of Breath of the Wild, if anything.
Yeah, we will probably get more context tomorrow with the full interview. It's hard to tell just with this small clip without any context.

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

Please don’t share, quote, screencap, cite, or in any way distribute outside of this forum lol, I don’t want the attention from Reddit or Era
Awesome. I wouldn't have quite expected this time of day, so the heads up is much appreciated!

here, let me try playing some Mario Kart 8 to pass the time and to hopefully help me forget about Zelda for a bit

launches Mario Kart 8 deluxe

is greeted by the Link version of the start screen

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

Please don’t share, quote, screencap, cite, or in any way distribute outside of this forum lol, I don’t want the attention from Reddit or Era
This will help me a lot in avoiding seeing things I don't want to before release. Thanks!

here, let me try playing some Mario Kart 8 to pass the time and to hopefully help me forget about Zelda for a bit

launches Mario Kart 8 deluxe

is greeted by the Link version of the start screen
My switch home screen : BOTW, Link's Awakening, TOTK, game boy advanced app for Minish Cap, N64 app for Ocarina, SNES app for aLttP, and Age of Calamity. Zelda everywhere and I did it to myself lol.

Really nice video, cool to see how they iterated to get to where BotW ended up. It becomes so incredibly apparent that when you have a clear vision ("we want to create an open-world game that focuses on exploration and sparks the curiosity of players") and you have a good process you can do amazing things.

If you look at something like a typical Ubisoft open-world game, my feeling is that that they have all the ingredients within their process to do something great, but the vision is lacking. Like, what really is the vision for Assassin's Creed games these days? They could have had a vision about for example Odyssey to simply be "we want to make players feel like they are playing through history as an assassin in ancient Greece". If you had that, and truly believed it, you would understand that all the super gamey aspects and a world littered with content in the form of checking boxes is antithetical to the idea of "playing through history", because now it feels less like that and more like being in a toy version of it. Then you'd have to find another way to lead players to whatever you want them to find, like Nintendo did, and maybe you'd discover something interesting by doing that.

Instead it feels like there's a whole bunch of visions from various parts of the corporation in a tug of war, with an overarching fear of players "getting bored" (i.e. your vision sucks and you don't trust it) as a result, leading to a brute force solution of stuffing content in players' faces.

Anyway, not to make this thread about Ubisoft, but I'm very glad Nintendo did things differently with BotW (and very likely TotK as well).

ARMS prototype running on Wii U.

image.png

This does not mean that TotK would launch on Wii U of course, it just means they were testing stuff in the WIi U version of BOTW.
Pretty sure you inadvertently leaked the switch 2 prototype which will just be two Wii U’s fused together since Nintendo probably has 20 million of them left over just lying around in the warehouse.🙂

The following is NOT a spoiler, rather part of a theory I've been looking for years.

I was watching a Japanese version of the last trailer to compare the voice acting (french is still amazingly good, I'm so happy) and I decided to activate the Youtube auto translation subtitles... and what I've found was very thought provoking. The moment in question is when somebody is talking about Link to Zelda :

Again, this is NOT a spoiler.

ujuP8Sd.png

Source :
(5:15)

In three days, we will explore this place.

hase8.png

In three days, we will reverse-UNO the hell out of everything that stands in our way.

Phas2.png

In three days, we will phase through ceilings to our heart's content.

phase1.png

In three days, we will meet her.

phase3.png

In three days, we will chill up here.

phase5.png

In three days, we will get to the bottom of this hole.

phase6.png

And in three days, we will jump across these platforms.

phase7.png

I can't contain myself anymore.
This sent my hype into overdrive! It’s going to be so weird to see things like first trailer from E3 2019 actually in order and not all stitched and sliced together, I’ve seen it so many times that it’s going to take me awhile to comprehend it when seeing it actually playing out in real time.

The following is NOT a spoiler, rather part of a theory I've been looking for years.

I was watching a Japanese version of the last trailer to compare the voice acting (french is still amazingly good, I'm so happy) and I decided to activate the Youtube auto translation subtitles... and what I've found was very thought provoking. The moment in question is when somebody is talking about Link to Zelda :

Again, this is NOT a spoiler.

ujuP8Sd.png

Source :
(5:15)

Now we know why Link ain’t talking

I don't know what to do with my time anymore. I'm debating whether I should boot up BotW again for the first time since 2018, but I know I shouldn't since it will take some of the freshness of going back to that world after so long. But I just need to play this game right now and it's not available ugh

I don't know what to do with my time anymore. I'm debating whether I should boot up BotW again for the first time since 2018, but I know I shouldn't since it will take some of the freshness of going back to that world after so long. But I just need to play this game right now and it's not available ugh

So freaking relatable. I legit don't know what to do because I can't do what I really really really really want to do. It feels like Link has used stasis on me and I'm just waiting on that timer to count down. And I even hear the sound as it does lol.

I officially made the switch from good "so excited omg it's almost here" hype to bad "anxious want it now and don't care about anything happening in my present anymore" hype :\

EDIT
So freaking relatable. I legit don't know what to do because I can't do what I really really really really want to do. It feels like Link has used stasis on me and I'm just waiting on that timer to count down. And I even hear the sound as it does lol.
made my post right below you without reading your post and yes you get it

put me in the damn shine of resurrection and don't wake me up unless you're the princess herself

It's interesting when you read that some are disappointed that the game is taking place in the same Hyrule but according to Fujibayashi that was plan from the first proposal, everyone from dev team agreed, there were no objections about it.

I officially made the switch from good "so excited omg it's almost here" hype to bad "anxious want it now and don't care about anything happening in my present anymore" hype :\

EDIT

made my post right below you without reading your post and yes you get it

put me in the damn shine of resurrection and don't wake me up unless you're the princess herself
If I would have seen this a few minutes ago I would have had to say it's still 55 hours away from unlocking in my time zone. But luckily now it's only 54 hours and 55 minutes away.... yeah I get it 🤣

It's interesting when you read that some are disappointed that the game is taking place in the same Hyrule but according to Fujibayashi that was plan from the first proposal, everyone from dev team agreed, there were no objections about it.
Everyone who objected was used for the real-life freefall physics tests.

Played BotW a bit earlier.

I like how I'm still like, aw yes, hearty truffles, might need these later

Even though it'll be a damn while before I boot up BotW again

Honestly thinking how many people have put dozens or hundreds of hours into BotW, didn't get burned out and still love it when they go back in is very encouraging for TotK's reception - 'more of the same' but with bells on will go over very nicely

It's so interesting.

Xenoblade X isn't just the sequel to Xenoblade 1.

Its also the prequel to BotW. It's so interesting seeing how the world design evolved, but it's very much cut from the same cloth.

I wish I knew first hand.

- a switch owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom