• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn what a beautiful advert. I kinda choked up?
This is exactly what Zelda means to me. The marketers continue to just get it
There’s an element of quiet dignity and gentility to it. That it’s OK to indulge in play as an adult, no judgment, let yourself relax and explore and experiment and create.

On the purple forum however I'll post the quotes if you want to avoid visiting that site:

Also, there are no spoilers, I just put into spoilers to save you guys from scrolling too much.

I’m not much of a prognosticator, but I am absolutely astounded by TOTK. And I think BOTW is the finest game I’ve ever played. I suspect I won’t be alone in that assessment.

I played the game for almost 80 hours by now and I can say without fear that it's a better game than Breath of the Wild. It's what Mario Galaxy 2 was to 1. My Guess is 97-98.

Breath of the Wild was very good, Tears of the Kingdom is superb. They "fixed" every single issue i had with BOTW, seriously, what a fantastic experience. The game's a 10 out of 10 to me. Edit: just to make it clear, yes, I have played the game to completion.

I’ll echo these sentiments, I don’t know how the reviews will go down but this has replaced BOTW in my Top 3, the game is an absolute marvel

And the best one that has got me really hyped
The game is about exploring and discovery, through and through. If you ask me that is where they expanded even more. Fuse and ultrahand are merely tools. It has the BotW exploring and experimental gameplay^10. But I can see why they have these new tools so that the gameplay and puzzle solving are fresh and sets the game apart from BotW. If you think you’re gonna be forced to ultrahanding things and making vehicles often you’re wrong. If you think you’re gonna be crafting and fusing often you’re also wrong. Also I wouldn’t call any of it crafting except the cooking part.

If you think the map design is similar or stale you’re also wrong. Having spent over 500 hours in BotW and got all 900 seeds I still can’t make out lots of areas because they’ve dug deep and redesigned a lot of it… It’s a Zelda game in every sense of the word and harks back to “miyamoto and exploring caves” quite significantly.

The opening area is equivalent to pure zen and relaxation, honestly it’s like therapy. That Nintendo magic is in full force. Basically if you loved BotW TotK is pure bliss again. It’s a massive world to get lost into and explore in so many ways. Reviews are gonna be loaded with 10s across the board. At this point I don’t think any game has a chance of GotY this year, even if you count the last decade I don’t think anything is gonna stand up from a gameplay and systems level.

That last quote speaks to me deeply. That sense of exploration and discovery was the main drive for running around Hyrule in BOTW and finding all the shrines, towers, etc. I cannot wait for this game this weekend haha. Gonna be an event!

On the purple forum however I'll post the quotes if you want to avoid visiting that site:

Also, there are no spoilers, I just put into spoilers to save you guys from scrolling too much.

I’m not much of a prognosticator, but I am absolutely astounded by TOTK. And I think BOTW is the finest game I’ve ever played. I suspect I won’t be alone in that assessment.

I played the game for almost 80 hours by now and I can say without fear that it's a better game than Breath of the Wild. It's what Mario Galaxy 2 was to 1. My Guess is 97-98.

Breath of the Wild was very good, Tears of the Kingdom is superb. They "fixed" every single issue i had with BOTW, seriously, what a fantastic experience. The game's a 10 out of 10 to me. Edit: just to make it clear, yes, I have played the game to completion.

I’ll echo these sentiments, I don’t know how the reviews will go down but this has replaced BOTW in my Top 3, the game is an absolute marvel

The game is about exploring and discovery, through and through. If you ask me that is where they expanded even more. Fuse and ultrahand are merely tools. It has the BotW exploring and experimental gameplay^10. But I can see why they have these new tools so that the gameplay and puzzle solving are fresh and sets the game apart from BotW. If you think you’re gonna be forced to ultrahanding things and making vehicles often you’re wrong. If you think you’re gonna be crafting and fusing often you’re also wrong. Also I wouldn’t call any of it crafting except the cooking part.

If you think the map design is similar or stale you’re also wrong. Having spent over 500 hours in BotW and got all 900 seeds I still can’t make out lots of areas because they’ve dug deep and redesigned a lot of it… It’s a Zelda game in every sense of the word and harks back to “miyamoto and exploring caves” quite significantly.

The opening area is equivalent to pure zen and relaxation, honestly it’s like therapy. That Nintendo magic is in full force. Basically if you loved BotW TotK is pure bliss again. It’s a massive world to get lost into and explore in so many ways. Reviews are gonna be loaded with 10s across the board. At this point I don’t think any game has a chance of GotY this year, even if you count the last decade I don’t think anything is gonna stand up from a gameplay and systems level.

Amazing.

Time is moving at a glacial speed right now.

Damn what a beautiful advert. I kinda choked up?
This is exactly what Zelda means to me. The marketers continue to just get it

It's great. I don't think I've ever related as hard to an advertisement. I walk to work so I don't do the commute playing like many people here, but other than that, I can see myself completely in the character. Literally me on Friday coming home late, saying good night to the family and then booting it up and just marveling and smiling at what I'm seeing.

It's great. I don't think I've ever related as hard to an advertisement. I walk to work so I don't do the commute playing like many people here, but other than that, I can see myself completely in the character. Literally me on Friday coming home late, saying good night to the family and then booting it up and just marveling and smiling at what I'm seeing.
Yeah, same.

Didn't think I could be more hyped but that last segment has sent me into overdrive. I'm 68 hours away and counting!

To bring back some more actual speculation to ease the wait. Only a minor thing, but it’s been bugging me. What’s the deal with the cloud density? The 2021 teaser was so dense with clouds that it had everyone on board with the theory of the cloud barrier and stuff, and the likelihood that maybe it was so far up the sky, that it would be two separate worlds altogether. Likewise, the 2022 title reveal trailer saw Link dive into a sea of clouds that then dissolved as he neared the surface.

But in all footage since, there’s been almost no cloud density at all. The presumed starting islands with the concave building is in the 2021 and 2022 trailer and it’s surrounded by cloud density, but the same islands are being explored by Aonuma in the gameplay demonstration, again with no cloud density. Will the clouds just come and go, perhaps as a weather effect?

According to Ask The Developer, Aonuma was promoted to Senior Officer. This will be announced oficially just few hours from now at the earnings.

Aonuma the GOAT

InsertedImage_01

That's what you call a well deserved promotion.

To bring back some more actual speculation to ease the wait. Only a minor thing, but it’s been bugging me. What’s the deal with the cloud density? The 2021 teaser was so dense with clouds that it had everyone on board with the theory of the cloud barrier and stuff, and the likelihood that maybe it was so far up the sky, that it would be two separate worlds altogether. Likewise, the 2022 title reveal trailer saw Link dive into a sea of clouds that then dissolved as he neared the surface.

But in all footage since, there’s been almost no cloud density at all. The presumed starting islands with the concave building is in the 2021 and 2022 trailer and it’s surrounded by cloud density, but the same islands are being explored by Aonuma in the gameplay demonstration, again with no cloud density. Will the clouds just come and go, perhaps as a weather effect?

The 2021 was prolly produced in the UK, that is all.

Oh yeah. I was already super hyped and now it's elevated even higher.

THAT'S IT!

Of course, the Song of Double Time won't work here. Everyone's been using the wrong instrument.

For TotK, you gotta play it on a saxophone!

You have me wondering if it could be a story reason similar to how the clouds surrounding the great plateau dissipate after completing the 4 shrines.

Howdy.

This is the last Tuesday ever without Tears of the Kingdom.

There will never again be a Tuesday without Tears of the Kingdom being officially available to play or purchase in some way.

Howdy.

This is the last Tuesday ever without Tears of the Kingdom.

There will never again be a Tuesday without Tears of the Kingdom being officially available to play or purchase in some way.
This alone makes me so hype. Like imagine starting Friday, there will never be any other day in the world from that point where TotK will not be available to play. It's kind of philosophical if you think about it.

OMG this fucking game, people. Jesus Christ, we're not prepared, it's gonna be so good

the seagull sounds are so good and that music

48 hours soon for AU NZ and Japan

source :https://www.nintendo.co.jp/interview/totk/index.html
Wow, that does sound markedly more detailed and spacious compared to BotW. Had already noticed that in the cave segment of the gameplay demo, but this... Great sounding distance frequency rolloff, reverb, mixing, resolution... TASTEY

Also, more prominent ambient music :D .

both excited and dreadful of the totk review thread and its discourse. Which I'm probably gonna be apart of...

But what if the game is so good, that not even reviewers who wanted to be controversial could find legit reasons, and the game both tops BotW's reviews and is the first step to world peace?

Ok i might have gotten a bit carried away here. But that is what maddening waiting does to you.

both excited and dreadful of the totk review thread and its discourse. Which I'm probably gonna be apart of...
Yeah, it's not really going to matter once the game is out but all the anxiety and gnashing of teeth surrounding this game sort of led to me seeing more of the spoilers than I really wanted to see. Ultimately I don't think spoilers are really going to impact my thoughts on the overall game, but when you're waiting it's tough to not get roped into the discourse. I generally try to stay away from that, but with Zelda it's tough since I've loved it for so long and I think the discourse around it really sucks a lot of the time.

Yeah what they’ve done to the music is amazing, as also evident in the gameplay showcase. It seems to be a bit more emphasis on it based on the showcase video and the one just posted.

According to Ask The Developer, Aonuma was promoted to Senior Officer. This will be announced oficially just few hours from now at the earnings.

Aonuma the GOAT

InsertedImage_01

Damn Aonuma is a sexy man.

Design me like I'm one of the best video games in history and make my breathing go wild

In three days, we will explore this place.

hase8.png

In three days, we will reverse-UNO the hell out of everything that stands in our way.

Phas2.png

In three days, we will phase through ceilings to our heart's content.

phase1.png

In three days, we will meet her.

phase3.png

In three days, we will chill up here.

phase5.png

In three days, we will get to the bottom of this hole.

phase6.png

And in three days, we will jump across these platforms.

phase7.png

I can't contain myself anymore.

Last edited:
I will probably put more than 8 hours in just on launch day, depending on when the game arrives. And it will be rainy on Friday so that's good.

In three days, we will explore this place.

hase8.png

In three days, we will reverse-UNO the hell out of everything that stands in our way.

Phas2.png

In three days, we will phase through ceilings to our heart's content.

phase1.png

In three days, we will meet her.

phase3.png

In three days, we will chill up here.

phase5.png

In three days, we will get to the bottom of this hole.

phase6.png

An in three days, we will jump across these platforms.

phase7.png

I can't contain myself anymore.

Knowing how I play, I'll start the journey to those places in 3 days then finally get there in about 3 months when I remember that's what I originally planned to do lol.

What, where?
This will be a part of another Ask The Developer session tomorrow but am putting it into spoiler just in case someone don't want to see it. It shows Link running around on some crafted vehicle based on BOTW stuff, there are still Skeikah Towers and the text shows "footage under development" so to me it seems like they were just testing stuff in base BOTW game. It shows Wii U GamePad D-pad UI, confirming it's running on the Wii U, they are always prototyping on older hardware like with ARMS for example.

Last edited:
Do you remember all these jokes of "where is TotK for Wii U?" I have just seen development footage of TotK prototype (official by Nintendo) and it was running on Wii U. I am not kidding.
while i do believe you, why would there be a prototype in the first place for the wii u? It only could make sense to me if thats the dlc (botw) that they wanted to support for both consoles

Edit: ignore, you already provided an awnser above :)

This will be a part of another Ask The Developer session tomorrow but am putting it into spoiler just in case someone don't want to see it. It shows Link running around on some crafted vehicle based on BOTW stuff, there are still Skeikah Towers and the text shows "footage under development" so to me it seems like they were just testing staff in base BOTW game. It shows Wii U GamePad D-pad UI, confirming it's running on the Wii U, they are always prototyping on older hardware like with ARMS for example.

That actually cool. You can also see their developer notes system in the footage.

while i do believe you, why would there be a prototype in the first place for the wii u? It only could make sense to me if thats the dlc (botw) that they wanted to support for both consoles
ARMS prototype running on Wii U.

image.png

This does not mean that TotK would launch on Wii U of course, it just means they were testing stuff in the WIi U version of BOTW.

This will be a part of another Ask The Developer session tomorrow but am putting it into spoiler just in case someone don't want to see it. It shows Link running around on some crafted vehicle based on BOTW stuff, there are still Skeikah Towers and the text shows "footage under development" so to me it seems like they were just testing stuff in base BOTW game. It shows Wii U GamePad D-pad UI, confirming it's running on the Wii U, they are always prototyping on older hardware like with ARMS for example.

Holy shit the 2nd and 3rd vehicle are cool. Hopefully that stuff left the testing stage and we can build something in ToTK.

I'm going to the drugstore later to stock up on analsgesics and eyedrops for the inevitable headaches I will get from playing TotK for too many hours during the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom