• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelda and Link are going to be in different time?

Yeah that seems to be the obvious conclusion to me. Goatman is depicted on an ancient mural, yet Zelda is seen interacting with him. Gotta be time travel shenanigans, or at least alternate dimension/sacred realm kinda stuff.

Well, it’s what Nintendo is suggesting the game looks like when actually played (docked), at least.

If that’s what we get docked then I have no complaints at all. Beautiful looking title, and should upscale well on my TV I think.

They really went full weird with this one. They haven't been this weird since Majora.

They really went full weird with this one. They haven't been this weird since Majora.

I kind of think they didn’t actually go that weird with it? If you exclude the player freedom to construct a robot (which is just an extension to the player freedom in BotW), what’s ‘weird’?

Majora twisted the entire world of OoT to feel like a Twilght Zone alternative. Giants with spindle legs held up a moon with a giant face on the cusp of destroying the world. Side quests were incredibly bizarre - UFOs, toilet hands? The used eerie, unsettling music everywhere, etc.

Tears looks like Breath of the Wild with more exciting mechanics and higher stakes. The sky islands feel magical, mysterious, but not weird - to me at least.

Last edited:
I don't think I want to collect 900 Koroks again for a piece of poop. In the trailer you can actually see Korok seeds already.

“We just kind of thought it would be funny to make that a big joke,” Fujibayashi told IGN, laughing. It's just the backstory, the kind of hidden kind of thing in the game the whole way is that the Korok seeds are actually Korok poop.”

It is done. Just ordered the TOTK OLED switch and pre-order of the game from Curry’s. I’ve been back and forth all day but I can’t resist.

I kind of think they didn’t actually go that weird with it? If you exclude the player freedom to construct a robot (which is just an extension to the player freedom in BotW), what’s ‘weird’?
You're teaming up with a Hylian dude with a pot on his head to beat up a bunch of bokoblins (who have a bunch of weird ass horns), possibly with a stick with a rock stuck on it.

The art direction, in general. The constructs with their various parts connected only by green energy. The creature, which, I think, is the one featured in the mural, that looks like a cross between a cat and a goat or something idk. Link and Zelda adopting a vaguely antiquity era look. Link, of course, having his arm corrupted or possessed or something, because why not at this point.

The idea of jumping into blobs of water in the air, racing into a tornado with a baby bird, diving miles deep in a laser tunnel in a wing suit, attaching a godamn rocket to your arm...

What's not weird, especially compared to how grounded Breath of the Wild was for a Zelda game. This is Mario levels of weird.

I don't think I want to collect 900 Koroks again for a piece of poop. In the trailer you can actually see Korok seeds already.

“We just kind of thought it would be funny to make that a big joke,” Fujibayashi told IGN, laughing. It's just the backstory, the kind of hidden kind of thing in the game the whole way is that the Korok seeds are actually Korok poop.”
As much as I despised my completionist desire to find all 900 for such a pointless reward, at least a serviceable reward was coded into the game.

I still feel sorry for anyone who is still waiting for the Mt Chiliad Mystery to bare fruit.

Overworld exploration looking better as well from the latest trailer. Not too many changes shown but the big structure in the Gerudo Desert looks cool, also the Hebra tornado.

They mention new settlements so maybe some on the overworld and one or two in the sky? Though I havent seen many big islands for a town

Sinkholes in Gerudo Desert will be a take on that classic videogame desert gimmick of "lol now ur underground loser u fell down the wrong place" except in Tears of the Kingdom one sinkhole will lead to a Korok seed and the other 11 will drop you like five miles beneath the Earth and 10,000 years in the past just to inconvenience you

You're teaming up with a Hylian dude with a pot on his head to beat up a bunch of bokoblins (who have a bunch of weird ass horns), possibly with a stick with a rock stuck on it.

The art direction, in general. The constructs with their various parts connected only by green energy. The creature, which, I think, is the one featured in the mural, that looks like a cross between a cat and a goat or something idk

The idea of jumping into blobs of water in the air, racing into a tornado with a baby bird, diving miles deep in a laser tunnel in a wing suit, attaching a godamn rocket to your arm...

What's not weird, especially compared to how grounded Breath of the Wild was for a Zelda game.

I added to my post a bit. Just looking at Skyward Sword - there’s plenty of fantastical ideas and creatures there, and none of what we have here is especially weird compared to it.

That game introduced the Loftwing, skydiving and a glider. Why is a small wing suit weird, and not just an extension of the mechanic?

Why are blobs of water in the air and entering a tornado not just standard Zelda? In Skyward Sword we entered a storm to fly onto a giant sky whale. We docked a ship and fought a robot pirate after navigating a labyrinth with bubbles that shifted time.

Breath of the Wild might have felt more grounded by comparison, but it still let you dress up with a Lynel Mask (or a Tingle Outfit) and attack a group of Bokoblins with a wooden spoon. Or use magnesis to smack them over the head with a metal box. There was also a corridor with 10+ guardians lining up lasers at you and it was a comical rush gliding through it. They even built in a motor cycle into the DLC even (although I personally thought it was a stupid final reward).

Majora’s Mask brought a particular brand of weird - an eerie twisted alternative universe. I don’t think this game is doing anything remotely similar personally. It’s a closer relative to Skyward Sword than anything else.

Edit: I’ll drop it. It’s a harmless comment that I just didn’t agree with. Trinen responded some time ago that when we saw the game we’d see how it wasn’t going to be akin to Major’s Mask, and I tend to agree so far. But yeah, opinions.

Last edited:
something interesting to me is that I’m sure we all assume when Link is fighting with Sidon that it’s part of the Zora main quest, same with Tulin for the Rito main quest.

However, there’s a cutscene where you fight with Sidon AND Riju and can see a Goron sword too. Could very well be an endgame cutscene

Did we see that anywhere? What enemy has a “roof”?
It’s on the Nintendo website confirming we can Ascend through certain enemies. I don’t think we really saw one, but now I wonder what kind of enemies or boss they’ll create for this? Maybe something like this, but with a better design on top to go out of it?

maxresdefault.jpg

It’s on the Nintendo website confirming we can Ascend through certain enemies. I don’t think we really saw one, but now I wonder what kind of enemies or boss they’ll create for this? Maybe something like this, but with a better design on top to go out of it?

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah that would make sense. Something that swallows you or cages you. Perhaps a boss encounter that sees you needing to enter it and attack something from the inside to take it down.

The art direction, in general. The constructs with their various parts connected only by green energy. The creature, which, I think, is the one featured in the mural, that looks like a cross between a cat and a goat or something idk. Link and Zelda adopting a vaguely antiquity era look. Link, of course, having his arm corrupted or possessed or something, because why not at this point.

What's not weird, especially compared to how grounded Breath of the Wild was for a Zelda game. This is Mario levels of weird.

Maybe weird isn't quite the right word, but I do agree, there's so much more whimsical elements compared to Botw. Which isn't to say Botw was devoid of that charm, it just focused more on the naturalistic to reflect the theme. But I'm really glad to see some of the elements Totk is bringing.

Haven’t decided if I want to watch Zeltik’s breakdown… feel like we are too close and I’ve already seen bits and pieces of his video with Monster Maze.

In the meantime… all hail Tim de Man

Maybe weird isn't quite the right word, but I do agree, there's so much more whimsical elements compared to Botw. Which isn't to say Botw was devoid of that charm, it just focused more on the naturalistic to reflect the theme. But I'm really glad to see some of the elements Totk is bringing.

100% agree with this. Tears looks to ramp up the fantasy and whimsy from Breath of the Wild. There’s more magic to the world we’ve seen so far; It was present but subdued in the original.

53 fucking minutes.

Just watched it. Good stuff. I'm surprised he didn't point this out...
Zelda in the underground area when she is falling is holding something in her hand, which Zeltik thinks is the tear for recall. Could it be that what really happens in that scene is that the tear activates recall on Zelda herself and sends her into the past! Zeltik already thinks she is in the past so I'm surprised he didn't make the connection on how she possible gets there.

Last edited:
Some ideas for enemy ascending...
-Ascend through a sleeping hinox and grab it's necklace without waking him up
-Ascend through a talus(might be hard with enemy camps on top of them)
-The big block dude will probably get on all fours and you have to go through his chest
-maybe if a Like-Like swallows you, you can ascend out?
-A giant boss with platforms sticking out of its body, you have to ascend through them to get to his head

Don't know if this has been pointed out already. We have already seen that the tear zelda has in the trailer got the same marking as the recall ability. But it also seems that the tear Tulin is wearing also as the symbol for one of the pin in the collector edition.
PcaBDKV.jpeg
totk_ce_pins.jpg

Maybe the 4 pins got the symbols for the 4 tears used by the new champions.

Don't know if this has been pointed out already. We have already seen that the tear zelda has in the trailer got the same marking as the recall ability. But it also seems that the tear Tulin is wearing also as the symbol for one of the pin in the collector edition.
PcaBDKV.jpeg
totk_ce_pins.jpg

Maybe the 4 pins got the symbols for the 4 tears used by the new champions.
Yes. There’s a separate thread about it. We know 4 of the symbols: time, light, water, wind.

It's interesting that in this trailer, it doesn't seem Zelda is the damsel in distress like in BOTW. But she does say at the end for Link to find her. Is she held hostage or something? Very interested in what's happened to her, cause she's clearly alive and in the sky islands

I think finding Zelda could be in the beginning of the game. If you rewatch Botw Trailer, and hear King Rhoam voice in that trailer, it was from the start of the game. I think Zelda serves the same possibility. The lines she voices are from the start of the game. I could be wrong.

Nintendo is great at misdirection.

I don't think she is being held hostage but she might feel a sense of duty. We really don't know. It will be interesting to see what happened/happens to her.

I hate the “Link find me” line. I hope it’s misdirection. I’m not even in the “playable Zelda” camp, I just don’t want her to be somebody in need of saving.

I hope it’s more a case that Link is transported away somewhere, and perhaps she’s a beacon to finding his way back. Even then I’m not sure if fits.

It's interesting that in this trailer, it doesn't seem Zelda is the damsel in distress like in BOTW. But she does say at the end for Link to find her. Is she held hostage or something? Very interested in what's happened to her, cause she's clearly alive and in the sky islands
I mean, it’s not unusual for Zelda to not be a damsel for most of the game. Damsel Zelda is more the exception than the rule. Even in BotW she wasn’t damselled, she was busy keeping Ganon sealed.

My theory about Zelda in TotK is she went back in time over 10,000 years to get an unbroken version of the Master Sword and do something with the Tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom