• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where da fan art at? I expected Fami to be posting a ton. And no, I will not be stepping forth onto Twitter to look for it myself.

Right now the question is:

1. Is there going to be a preview period for the game? If so, when will previews be.
I believe some YouTuber accidentally leaked that there would be. Probably late next week if I had to bet.
2. When will reviews drop.
Probably Tuesday, May 9th.
3. When will the entire game leak.

This is going to be a packed month
Game will leak in two weeks. It's the most hyped non-Pokemon game Nintendo has released since Smash Ultimate. It'll leak out super early, so be prepared.

Right now the question is:

1. Is there going to be a preview period for the game? If so, when will previews be.
2. When will reviews drop.
3. When will the entire game leak.

This is going to be a packed month
1. 2 weeks from now.
2. 2-3 days before release.
3. Late April/very early in May.

Wasn't there a rumor of a preview event happening 4/12? If so I'm guessing there's an embargo on that ending early next week?

I doubt there are previews next week. They don't have the game yet, they will get it next week and next week is AW releasing (I know, but they are marketing it more than I thought) so I doubt Zelda previews. They will come the last week of April.

Wasn't there a rumor of a preview event happening 4/12? If so I'm guessing there's an embargo on that ending early next week?
Nate deconfirmed that.

It's safe to assume that there is not such preview event happening and press will get the game likely next week.

Oh I must have missed that then.
Altough he only replied when someone thought that there was preview event tied to trailer release. But I don't think there is any preview event happening at this point, they likely haven't created a playable demo at all (no E3 etc.)

File size doesn't really work that way. You can have an essentially infinite landscape in a game with a size less than 10 MB. I know because I just downloaded an infinite landscape generation asset in the Unreal Engine marketplace and it was like 6MB.

Textures, prerendered video and audio take up the most file space in games.
Technically yeah...but in reality, the file size worries me because BotW had rather bad textures in a lot of places, and i was hoping they would improve the texture resolution for sorroundings with more ram.
Them having such a bigger game while only being 25% bigger worries me in that it could mean a loooot of texture reuse and and a lot of them being the same low res textures from the original.

File sizes comparisons are useless since the BOTW on Switch was quick port and not even that well optimized. You also need to consider that they could use some new compression technique too.
...i dont get where people get that from. Its was THE big launch title for nintendo to launch a Console, it had a whole year of big budget and full attention, and had a bunch of optimizations with updates after the fact.

People really thing a port needs to take years to be good? Especially when the people porting have early hardware and a direct line to the platform and tools developers and essentially infinite budget?
Perfect. It's gonna be great.

We call this new compression technique "The Iwata Special."
Is there actually an explanation what happened?
Did he create a magic software wormhole, or did he rearange the datastructures, so that a faster decompression could be achived, or did he just implement a common compression technique that the programmers simply did not think about because the game structure was shifting under the hood all the time or...what actually happened here.
The biggest issue, IMO, is that the game map could very well be doubled, yet you couldn't see it because the skull of your dead mother obstructs the view.

😁
Thats just way to low. Not okay.

(Pst pst @Chaotic Neutral, fast, change your avatar so that others think hes a monster)

I love hearing people talk about the game. Plus if we get previews it’ll probably just be a handful of companies. At some point they have to get review codes to play the game. It’s a huge game and I’d like to think Nintendo would give companies codes 3 weeks out.
They will, as many said it will be end of April. They gave Xeno3 codes in advance as well due to it's scope.

They will, as many said it will be end of April. They gave Xeno3 codes in advance as well due to it's scope.

I mean ... looking at the gameplay demo and the trailer ... that's not a good example to use here because the scope of this game appears to massive too. ^^

(But i'm Team Previews 2 weeks before launch, that is end of April, we're cool)

They'll get codes next week but I don't think previews will come until a week before release.

...i dont get where people get that from. Its was THE big launch title for nintendo to launch a Console, it had a whole year of big budget and full attention, and had a bunch of optimizations with updates after the fact.

People really thing a port needs to take years to be good? Especially when the people porting have early hardware and a direct line to the platform and tools developers and essentially infinite budget?
But it was build for Wii U first, the Switch port was decided way way later. I don't expect TotK so have any notable frame rate issues how BOTW had since it's build upon the original game and with focus only on Switch.

I also agree that it's likely the game leaks early - both through piracy and early retail copies, but I wouldn't expect it until a week before release.

What's the forum rules going to be on people who play it early? That it's fine for them to post impressions in a preview thread, but they have to keep out of the OT? Or all pre-release impressions be relegated to a spoiler thread? That would be fair.

Asking because I played Skyward Sword and BotW before official release - in fact I think I had both beaten before release day - and if I can do the same here I damn sure will. It's becoming like a Zelda tradition for me. However I'm sure that will upset some people, which is never the intention. I have no problem logging off for a week! Obligatory comment that I preordered and purchased all the games, obviously. Actually bought BotW twice at full price within 2 months lol.

I also agree that it's likely the game leaks early - both through piracy and early retail copies, but I wouldn't expect it until a week before release.

What's the forum rules going to be on people who play it early? That it's fine for them to post impressions in a preview thread, but they have to keep out of the OT? Or all pre-release impressions be relegated to a spoiler thread? That would be fair.

Asking because I played Skyward Sword and BotW before official release - in fact I think I had both beaten before release day - and if I can do the same here I damn sure will. It's becoming like a Zelda tradition for me. However I'm sure that will upset some people, which is never the intention. I have no problem logging off for a week! Obligatory comment that I preordered and purchased all the games, obviously. Actually bought BotW twice at full price within 2 months lol.
FYI admitting to piracy is a rule breaker, it got me a warning a while back. and... I really understand it, also it IS kinda scummy towards people who will spend their hard earned money on the game only to come here and feel like shit because other people are happily playing it already and sharing everything.

We are releasing GOTY in 4 weeks. Bye.

image.png

Im guessing the moon jump is a dungeon item like a trinket that allows you to moon jump. the wingsuit is a dungeon item too and it unlocks the ability for air battle that we see in the patent. It make sense for me to give that ability to the wing suit. Honestly im coping for dungeons🥹

But it was build for Wii U first, the Switch port was decided way way later. I don't expect TotK so have any notable frame rate issues how BOTW had since it's build upon the original game and with focus only on Switch.
but theres a huge difference between "quick and easy port" and "not 100% optimized". Will this game go somewhat further by not needing to work as well on the wii u? yeah. some parts of the engine will be changed, so that they would not work on the old architecture but where the change in BotW would make developing DLC for both could be hard.
And additions like the Reconstruction techniques.

Nobody would say Xenoblade 2 was a quick port, but 3 looks much better.

Compare BotW to other ports:
It had better sound (less compression), higher resolution, stable framerate (after patches). Wii U BotW often stays in the 20ties, and maxes out at 720p.

Bayonetta and Pikmin3 both are 720 and don't look better then the Wii U counterpart. Why? because they did not expect the difference to inpact sales, AND because they did not need them to sell consoles.

BotW was not a quick and easy port, but TotK will look better because of progression in development techniques and frameworks, as well as not needing to keep content parity with a game thats worse off.

Since file size was the topic: increasing the compression cause you know that your decompression works way faster and you have more ram is an "easy" thing to do in a port, since its mostly adjusting parameters.
Meaning if there would have been soo much more potential to reduce file size, they would have done it. (Except: it would not change much, since there's no chance they could have moved to a <8GB cartridge, so why even reduce the size more).

Now, since the game was on the fringe of a 32GB cart size, investing more time in asset optimization and compression makes more sense, and the improved techniques that got developed in the last 5-6 years could have helped. So in no way was the file size dependent on "quick port", but on other factors.

French store uploaded them early. Nintendo will follow in few days as they did today with Tulin. It feels crazy to me that they seemingly provided artworks in advance.
I’m asking because the leaked ones are clean while the ones Nintendo is tweeting have the background on them and are partially cropped 😭

So I’m wondering if there’s more clean ones out there, really want the one of link in the green toga

Ya know what, now that we know it'll be pretty easy to map out I'm willing to make an avatar bet that the total surface area of new traversable land (i.e. in the sky and underground) will be greater than or equal to the total traversable surface area of Hyrule in BOTW.
Ignoring that I don't think this is logistically possible, I disagree simply because if it were true Nintendo would at the very least be hinting at it. The map reuse is still the biggest source of apprehension for this game. If this game added enough new areas to effectively constitute a second Hyrule Nintendo would absolutely be trying to convey that in some way.

I hope I'm wrong, because other than the nature of dungeons/shrines, it's still my biggest concern about the game.

Aonuma and Fujibayashi gonna be at the Game Awards again to collect their GOTY trophy. Aonuma coming in with a wing suit and Fujibayashi with a corrupted right arm.

I’m asking because the leaked ones are clean while the ones Nintendo is tweeting have the background on them and are partially cropped 😭

So I’m wondering if there’s more clean ones out there, really want the one of link in the green toga

Sadly, you will probably have no luck. With these ancestors they are just following the pattern they set with BOTW Champions.

image.png

image.png

Sadly, you will probably have no luck. With these ancestors they are just following the pattern they set with BOTW Champions.

image.png

image.png
Oh yeah I don’t expect them to tweet it out, just wondering if said retailer has more of them lol

Which reminds me, is anyone able to rip the Zelda one from the JP website? Should finally be available in transparent form now that it was put there yesterday with the Ganondorf one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom