• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zelda JP now tweeting arts oficially that were leaked yesterday

TULIN
"A boy of the "Rito Tribe" who flies in the sky with wings on both arms. He is good at handling a bow and arrow."

On BOTH? Wow. Never would have guessed. And a bow with a single arrow? Does he fetch it after each shot? (Just joking. He's my fav of our 4 champions, then Riju, then Saison and I'm not to fond of Jojimbo)

And fact that the TV and shows -407 is mind boggling. To put this into perspective, during the gameplay video, when link lands on the surface, the coordinates says 0021 and while Link is skydiving it's around 506.

We are going to need 500 hours of gaming to explore every inch and secret of this brand new Hyrule.

Furthermore, remember that jelly Link jumps into during the epic trailer? He had swimming animation, I genuinely believe we got underwater exploration too.

None of us is ready.
Oh yeah I think we’re going to get underwater now, which I’ve wanted. This is the unfamiliar Hyrule. Man there’s so much. This is gonna be easily my GOTY I can tell

On BOTH? Wow. Never would have guessed. And a bow with a single arrow? Does he fetch it after each shot? (Just joking. He's my fav of our 4 champions, then Riju, then Saison and I'm not to fond of Jojimbo)

I think you mistake him with his father, Teba. Tulin is technically not one of the 4 new Champions.

I think you mistake him with his father, Teba. Tulin is technically not one of the 4 new Champions.
I honestly think Teba got smoked, and Tulin takes his place sometime throughout TOTK. He's not wearing the Champion Garb in the art, but maybe they're not doing that to prevent spoilers.
Seems to be a lot of that going on, with Sidon possibly becoming the Zora King as well.

I honestly think Teba got smoked, and Tulin takes his place sometime throughout TOTK. He's not wearing the Champion Garb in the art, but maybe they're not doing that to prevent spoilers.
Seems to be a lot of that going on, with Sidon possibly becoming the Zora King as well.

I don't think Teba is dead, but he's either still injured from helping Link with Vah Medoh. Or it's something like Teba becoming the new chief of the tribe as the old chief in BotW does look like he's pretty old.

Maybe even both?

No, I'm just making the assumption that in this game he will be taking over as a new champion for some reason. I wasn't to big of a fan of his dad, he was behind Saison for me.

I don't think Teba is dead, but he's either still injured from helping Link with Vah Medoh. Or it's something like Teba becoming the new chief of the tribe as the old chief in BotW does look like he's pretty old.

Maybe even both?
Hmm that could be it too!

I agree. Underwater is very likely given how far the team seem to have gone with building the sky and underground. Maybe not as big as the other 2, but it'd such a big missed opportunity to not allow players to explore what lies deep below Hyrule lake.

I still don't believe there will be underwater exploration, cause if the game allows you to explore under Hyrule lake, then what's gonna stop you exploring under the ocean? Which means Zelda team needs to design an entirely new biome system with at least hundreds of new species of flora and fauna for the ocean in order to make the underwater exploration even remotely fun. And I just think it's unrealistic for them to achieve, especially when they already need most of their resources to develop the sky with its new biome, the underground with its new biome, and the deep fusing and crafting system.

Does somebody know when the Wii U version is releasing?
I think it will be a late port when they figure out how to implement HD rumble as a tablet screen feature, like indicating it through map screen shakes

(Unironically I feel like this game would REALLY benefit from a screen on the controller...)

I do wonder how much time passed between the end BotW and the start of TotK, looking at Riju it looks like she's still a teenager so maybe not too much?

Though it would be somewhat funny if she's an adult now and just much smaller than any other Gerudo we've seen outside of the children of course.

Thats not a mushroom, he attaches a bulb to his arrow that lights up when it attaches to the wall (I think it might be the same item as the headlights on the first car we see in trailer 2)
Yep, it looks like that's one of the lotus buds that are also used around the sky islands as lamps. Taking light from the sky to illuminate the underground.
The-Legend-of-Zelda-Tears-of-the-Kingdom-Official-Trailer-3-1-56-screenshot.png

The-Legend-of-Zelda-Tears-of-the-Kingdom-Official-Trailer-2-1-40-screenshot.png

The jazz bent to the soundtrack seems so perfectly appropriate for the freeform, improvisational gameplay.

OK y'all, I'm thinking this is the end of the line for me. I feel like I've seen enough to confirm my suspicion that this game is gonna melt everybody's brain, and I don't want to see more. Knowing that a Zelda game of this caliber is 1 month away feels unreal. Obligatory post to thank everyone for the ride. See y'all in mid May 🙏

A clip in the footage in the japan website I think confirms that the floating animation (gravity "manipulation") is there on normal surface!

qmeen5u.png
Good catch

Wonder if it's a new power or they just added a long jump (the game's basically secretly Mario Galaxy 3 anyways)

Edit: on second thought, it's definitely just a long jump, it's always done from a running start (and I don't think we've seen a running jump before?). Though damn it's hilarious that they just added a long jump into Zelda

Last edited:
I'm also bowing out of this thread now, I don't need to speculate anymore about the game. I'll put this thread on ignore and try to survive until may 12th. It was a great time.
See you in the review thread were the game will still get an 89 on metacritic.

Press will get the game next week no doubt, so the previews will be the very end of April, two weeks before launch. And that is time to turn off everything, some dumb guy will broke the street date in store and the whole game will start leaking. I will be going away into complete blackout the very second this happens.

NOA YouTube - 4.6 mil.
NOA Twitter - 1.2 mil. video (5.7 mil. for the tweet view count)
NOE Twitter - 582k video (1.6 mil. for the tweet view count)
NCL YouTube - 1.2 mil.

It's not even 24 hours since the trailer.

Press will get the game next week no doubt, so the previews will be the very end of April, two weeks before launch. And that is time to turn off everything, some dumb guy will broke the street date in store and the whole game will start leaking. I will be going away into complete blackout the very second this happens.
Going to be a nightmare.

No Twitter, YouTube or Reddit. Bit easier to avoid forums and the like.

NOA YouTube - 4.6 mil.
NOA Twitter - 1.2 mil. video (5.7 mil. for the tweet view count)
NOE Twitter - 582k video (1.6 mil. for the tweet view count)
NCL YouTube - 1.2 mil.

It's not even 24 hours since the trailer.
I think people may like this trailer, huh

Going to be a nightmare.

No Twitter, YouTube or Reddit. Bit easier to avoid forums and the like.
Yeah, but it's less than a month, we got this. I waited 2 whole years for a new footage (E3 2019 - E3 2021) I feel like I will be able to do this. It's the final stop before the destination. 2 weeks actually feel like nothing at this point.

Say, i've been thinking.

Are the Zonai related to the Gerudo? Maybe the Gerudo are the descendants of them?

Reason, the scene in the trailer where the character puts their hand on Zelda's shoulder, you can see some medallion, and imo that medallion looks a bit similar to the Gerudo symbol:

718px-The_Legend_of_Zelda_-_Gerudo_Symbol.svg.png

Finally, a worthy successor for Digger T. Rock

Imo it looks more like Wind Waker Gohma:

or they went insane and brought Majora's Masks Twinmold back and we only saw one of them:

Well, i do. But i'm also living in Germany, so i'm not sure if that helps.
Hahah aw! I appreciate it but I am on the other side of the ocean :(

Say, i've been thinking.

Are the Zonai related to the Gerudo? Maybe the Gerudo are the descendants of them?

Reason, the scene in the trailer where the character puts their hand on Zelda's shoulder, you can see some medallion, and imo that medallion looks a bit similar to the Gerudo symbol:

718px-The_Legend_of_Zelda_-_Gerudo_Symbol.svg.png
I think the symbol on goatman is supposed to look like an owl. The gerudo symbol does also look a bit owlish, probably coincidentally.

The Zonai represented the three aspects of the triforce with three animals, owl for wisdom, dragon for courage and boar for power. I think goat dude is meant to be an aspect of wisdom, based on the owl jewelry.

Last edited:
Is the resolution confirmed? Because I've seen on Twitter screenshots at 1080p but I don't know if it's native resolution or upscaled.

I think the symbol on goatman is supposed to look like an owl. The gerudo symbol does also look a bit owlish, probably coincidentally.

The Zonai represented the three aspects of the triforce with three animals, owl for wisdom, dragon for courage and boat for power. I think goat dude is meant to be an aspect of wisdom, based on the owl jewelry.

Boat for power? Unusual, bold ... but i allow it.

;D

Is the resolution confirmed? Because I've seen on Twitter screenshots at 1080p but I don't know if it's native resolution or upscaled.

Don't try to get conclusions from Twitter screenshots.

I feel like I've rewatched the trailer at least 20 times.

After the gameplay showcase with Aonuma my last remaining worry was whether they could justify revisiting the Hyrule from BotW. Now it's possible that the full game will not live up to this but between all the sky islands, the changes to the overworld and underground I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here.

“One of the reasons we wanted to create a continuation was because I wanted to revisit that Hyrule again and use that world again, while incorporating new gameplay and new story.” - Eiji Aonuma, June 11th 2019

I think people are now finally starting to get why they are reusing the world, visit the same characters as in the first game. Not to mention the underground now. They know what they are doing with reusing this Hyrule.

XY Coordinates were -281 / -312. It's just a bit south of Castle Town. Map image below in spoiler to save visual space.

55Eolur.jpg
I wonder how mapping the underground will work. In that clip the minimap was blank, I wonder if there's something you can activate to fill it out. It'll be neat to see how many new maps we'll be getting for this game to represent each layer of the world.

I saw this as a Final Fantasy X-2 to a Final Fantasy X. It was very cool to revisit old locations and see how they’ve changed. To see what’s new with characters you’ve met in FFX.

Don't know if I'll spend much time reading this thread anymore since im finally satisfied with info till launch. This is the point where I stop seeking out stuff like that leaked commercial cuz I just kinda want the game to be out.
I get being satisfied by the info, im jus tnot yet satisfied by launched games relating to that info ;)
Boat for power? Unusual, bold ... but i allow it.

;D

Don't try to get conclusions from Twitter screenshots.
I mean, why else would there be sky wiking ships in the storm?

Okay mostly moved in and I have a moment to breath (post).

Holy shit. HOOLYYYYY SHIT. WHAT A TRAILER!

I can't believe Nintendo gonna release a game so soon that makes BoTW look pedestrian in comparison. Like holy batman wow they seemingly did it!

I know it's way to soon talk about, and I don't expect any serious answers here, but like... How does Nintendo top this going forward? Where could they possible take Link and Zelda next?

Okay mostly moved in and I have a moment to breath (post).

Holy shit. HOOLYYYYY SHIT. WHAT A TRAILER!

I can't believe Nintendo gonna release a game so soon that makes BoTW look pedestrian in comparison. Like holy batman wow they seemingly did it!

I know it's way to soon talk about, and I don't expect any serious answers here, but like... How does Nintendo top this going forward? Where could they possible take Link and Zelda next?
The final frontier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom