• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
“The flow of time is always cruel. Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it.”
Sheik, OOT

Pretty sure that many Nintendo Youtubers follow this site because I've seen a few "Where's the marketing?" videos pop up in my feed around the same time. It's like how all of the "When's the next Nintendo Direct?!" videos pop up at exactly the same time. Youtubers need to be put up their videos when people are the most anxious and before Nintendo makes an actually announcement.

is keeping it hidden until players can discover it themselves is a good approach.
This approach definitely feels right. Take Odyssey for example, imo they revealed far too many Kingdoms before release so only ones that were actual surprise were Bowser's Kingdom, Cloud Kingdom, Lake Kingdom, Moon Kingdom, Ruined Kingdom and post game content Dark,Darker and Mushroom. All other 9 Kingdoms were revealed during the marketing and that always seemeed little too far for me.

This approach definitely feels right. Take Odyssey for example, imo they revealed far too many Kingdoms before release so only ones that were actual surprise were Bowser's Kingdom, Cloud Kingdom, Lake Kingdom, Moon Kingdom, Ruined Kingdom and post game content Dark,Darker and Mushroom. All other 9 Kingdoms were revealed during the marketing and that always seemeed little too far for me.
I think they were a bit desperate for success back in 2017.

Obviously not the case anymore.

I think a lot of complaints, mine included, have come from a shared understanding of how modern games marketing works: if it's not shown by x weeks before launch it doesn't exist. I think this game could indicate that Nintendo doesn't think this has to always be the case and, excitingly, that it doesn't necessarily have to be the case

It's fascinating when you think that this thread is on page 200 and everything that happened since the first page. All 3 patents about gameplay/sky combat in December 2021, some were expecting the game to show up at TGA that year. The game was then delayed in March 2022 and we were expecting some kind of Direct in June to show the game.
We got the title and release date reveal in September 2022 and the whole bunch of theories really kicked in, some were expecting it at TGA 2022 (it really felt like tradition at this point imao, remember doing that since 2019.) and Geoff trolled us with these clouds, new year came quickly and so the trailer in February with CE but before that was all that talk about "it will be delayed!!" and here we are less than 2 months before release.

It's fascinating when you think that this thread is on page 200 and everything that happened since the first page. All 3 patents about gameplay/sky combat in December 2021, some were expecting the game to show up at TGA that year. The game was then delayed in March 2022 and we were expecting some kind of Direct in June to show the game.
We got the title and release date reveal in September 2022 and the whole bunch of theories really kicked in, some were expecting it at TGA 2022 (it really felt like tradition at this point imao, remember doing that since 2019.) and Geoff trolled us with these clouds, new year came quickly and so the trailer in February with CE but before that was all that talk about "it will be delayed!!" and here we are less than 2 months before release.
And with a bunch of quality games either out already or out soon, there's plenty to hold us over until Zelda comes out.

And with a bunch of quality games either out already or out soon, there's plenty to hold us over until Zelda comes out.
Plenty of time for people to go play Octopath 2 if you’re an adventurer needing a fix of heroics, exploration, the spooky and the whimsical side-by-side and great music, best rpg I’ve played in years.

Mike Odyssey and Nintendo Prime basically just cover literally anything that gets sent their way. No offense to either guy but I really can't stand some of their "leak" videos. This current leak is also just incredibly weak. Who would even have this email now if this direct is on the 12th? Why would they even send such an email out to employees? It's like the generic Twitter post that usually comes alongside a direct announcement but more generic and longer, which would make no sense to go to employees since those are made to advertise to people on Twitter and social media.

It's not just fake, it's the absurdly fake.

I don't get how people are taking either one seriously, especially after Mike Odyssey made up that Game Stop flyer with a TotK summary.

Plenty of time for people to go play Octopath 2 if you’re an adventurer needing a fix of heroics, exploration, the spooky and the whimsical side-by-side and great music, best rpg I’ve played in years.
did you like the first one? i bought the first one and played like 5 hrs and just dropped it because it wasn't very interesting. Been debating getting the 2nd for awhile now but i feel like the same thing will happen to me lol

Oh wow, thank you for making me discover this game, I never heard of it until now!

I will now purchase it on my Nintendo Swtich System.

did you like the first one? i bought the first one and played like 5 hrs and just dropped it because it wasn't very interesting. Been debating getting the 2nd for awhile now but i feel like the same thing will happen to me lol
I haven’t played the first one at all, but by all accounts from fami members that have played both, this one is a marked improvement

Oh wow, thank you for making me discover this game, I never heard of it until now!

I will now purchase it on my Nintendo Swtich System.

Do it for the 8th purchase of Octopath Traveler OSTs

Octosoundtrack Purchaser

It's really interesting how subdued it all is.

It's going to be even more interesting in that we will probably clear 200 pages on the OT within a few months of release.

Do it for the 8th purchase of Octopath Traveler OSTs

Octosoundtrack Purchaser
This thread sure is full of passion! Everyone should do same and buy as many Octosoundtracks as possible!

I can't believe my plan to brigade the Zelda thread with Octopath discussion is working.

This thread sure is full of passion! Everyone should do same and buy as many Octosoundtracks as possible!

I can't believe my plan to brigade the Zelda thread with Octopath discussion is working.
The Legend of Zelda: Octorok Traveller

Hahah, what happened here? That Italian flyer thing?

Nope, this wasn't something different. Mike made a video claimed he got access to Game Stop flyer with a summary for ToTk. He read it on the video, and so many comments flooded the video about how it contradicted the trailers and stuff in the artbook. He eventually deleted the video and took Twitter saying he wouldn't make any more videos about Zelda blaming the fans and stuff. Nintendo Prime of course made a video about it, even claimed he spoke to a Game Stop manager who said it existed. He later retracted that but still has the video up titled "Tears of the Kingdom's STORY Details Leak!" so I don't have to post it.

Here's mike whining about the backlash to his video

Nope, this wasn't something different. Mike made a video claimed he got access to Game Stop flyer with a summary for ToTk. He read it on the video, and so many comments flooded the video about how it contradicted the trailers and stuff in the artbook. He eventually deleted the video and took Twitter saying he wouldn't make any more videos about Zelda blaming the fans and stuff. Nintendo Prime of course made a video about it, even claimed he spoke to a Game Stop manager who said it existed. He later retracted that but still has the video up titled "Tears of the Kingdom's STORY Details Leak!" so I don't have to post it.

And now two weeks later makes a stupid video about a Direct date for TotK...

And the only reason I haven't given my opinion on when I expect Zelda news to drop is because I know it'll become a talking-point somewhere.

Last edited:
TBH the whole discussion with the Bad Marketing for Zelda Totk is now getting out of Hand, it’s now almost as bad as the whole „when is thr next direct coming“, people should go out snd touch grasd or play videogames to tied out for the Release of Zelda TotK.

And now two weeks later makes a stupid video about a Direct date for TotK...

Nearly all of the Nintendo YouTube channels do this crap. I also like the channels when they make a "feel sorry for me" video every few weeks to drum up sympathy clicks and attention and let's not forget the daily Switch Pro/2 videos lol.

Most of these channels are "Entertainment" for me of course. Something to watch on my breaks at work. Nearly none of their rumors ever come true beyond the occasional lucky guess from time to time.

As for Zelda marketing, I think it will kick in sometime mid April and that's just my guess based on how Nintendo has handled some of their other big titles in recent years.

Nearly all of the Nintendo YouTube channels do this crap. I also like the channels when they make a "feel sorry for me" video every few weeks to drum up sympathy clicks and attention and let's not forget the daily Switch Pro/2 videos lol.

Most of these channels are "Entertainment" for me of course. Something to watch on my breaks at work. Nearly none of their rumors ever come true beyond the occasional lucky guess from time to time.

As for Zelda marketing, I think it will kick in sometime mid April and that's just my guess based on how Nintendo has handled some of their other big titles in recent years.
If you want to go the entertainment angle, then present the date as speculation and cite reasons behind the thought. Not cite a random email and claim the date or details have leaked. That's tabloid tier reporting, essentially. As I can see in the comments, he's expressed doubt about the information being legit... so why frame it as a rumor, leak or anything meaningful? Speculate, make note of the dubious email, and entertain through the power of possibility.

Guess what, if you care enough about the game to discuss its marketing or lack of it, you're gonna buy the game no matter what.

And it's less than 2 months away.

I don't get how people are taking either one seriously, especially after Mike Odyssey made up that Game Stop flyer with a TotK summary.
...oh yeah that one. I don't know if I believe he made it up, like I want to be nice and give the guy the benefit of the doubt, and assume he's just gullible but that leak was dreadful. It literally sounded like someone took the cliff notes of BOTW and tried to use them to make ToTK sound as similar to it as possible, claiming stuff like it only have four dungeons and they'll be based around the four elements, and we'll meet "new races like the Rito," or how it claimed that the mysterious new character Link will meet in the sky who will tell what's going on is gonna be named "Rhoam." Like I don't know how you can read that, be you Mike or Nintendo Prime, claim yourself a fan of Zelda, and not have the massive similarities between this supposed summary and BOTW be sounding alarm bells in your head.

Not only that tho, but like that's a ton of story descriptive text, that would make no sense being sent to a random GameStop, before any of that info had been revealed by Nintendo, and if you somehow randomly did get something like that from Nintendo surely you wouldn't be the only one and surely someone somewhere would have uploaded a image of it. It's rumors like that that really piss me off because they're not even thought out all the way. They're just silly. Still feel a bit bad about the negative comment I left, don't know if it was on Mike's channel or Nintendo Primes.

Imao you did not just dropped this here. That's so hillarious.

FrsJdVpXsAAOKxu

Come on man, he said like two lines and it's vague as hell.

If you want to go the entertainment angle, then present the date as speculation and cite reasons behind the thought. Not cite a random email and claim the date or details have leaked. That's tabloid tier reporting, essentially. As I can see in the comments, he's expressed doubt about the information being legit... so why frame it as a rumor, leak or anything meaningful? Speculate, make note of the dubious email, and entertain through the power of possibility.

Ima say it: I despise 90% Nintendo "News" Youtubers. They're garbage tier channels with worthless input on anything in existence because all they do is regurgitate other people's info or opinions and sell it as their own. They're not funny, they're not entertaining, they're not original, they're not important, nor are they a reliable source. If anything, they're manipulative and scummy sometimes with how they sometimes flat out lie to their gullible audiences. They're just as pointless as reaction videos. Except I actually like reaction videos.

Did everyone else know that the TotK Link amiibo can be used for BotW, HW DE, AoC and TotK? It looks like Nintenedo is saying that: https://www.nintendo.com.au/products/amiibo/link-tears-of-the-kingdom-amiibo

I didn't know this! Not that it's substantial news, just seems new.

That's just normal Amiibo functionality at play, really. It's a Link Amiibo, previous games that look for Link Amiibo can use it.

It's how you can use the Splatoon Amiibo in Smash since they identify as "Inkling Girl/Boy", or how the Splatoon 2/3 amiibo work in 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom