• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we send the islands back down to the ground?
I think it's likelier that we raise them up in the first place. One of the trailers has link ascending up to the sky on a fallen piece of an island using the momentum reversal thing.

I don't think it will be a "menu based way" to carry around vehicle parts tho. BotW's physics engine is advanced enough to handle a somewhat realistic carrying around mechanic. You just put those parts you found with the enhanced "magnesis" ability on the wagon and carry them around, no menu should be involved in the process.

The car-like vehicle in the trailer is actually pretty complicated with more than 10 parts (including different wheels, headlights, power-source thingy) involved in its creation, I don't think those 10+ parts will just be conveniently scattered all in one place. You have to have a way to collect them from different places in order to build a vehicle like that.
I assume they'll have a ton of semi-built or ruined constructs lying around where you just need to add a handful of parts to get them working. I don't think they'll want to burden you by lugging around a wagon full of parts that you'll then feel compelled to pick up constantly.

I don't doubt that you'll be able to build a vehicle to transport parts if you really want to, but I don't think there will be an existing game mechanic specifically meant to do that and hitch it to your horse, that just doesn't feel at all like something Nintendo would want to introduce in a game like this.

I assume they'll have a ton of semi-built or ruined constructs lying around where you just need to add a handful of parts to get them working. I don't think they'll want to burden you by lugging around a wagon full of parts that you'll then feel compelled to pick up constantly.

I don't doubt that you'll be able to build a vehicle to transport parts if you really want to, but I don't think there will be an existing game mechanic specifically meant to do that and hitch it to your horse, that just doesn't feel at all like something Nintendo would want to introduce in a game like this.
the meaning of the word "vehicle" is literally "a thing used for transporting people or goods". If the vehicle in TotK is only used for Link to travel from point A to point B, then the idea of introducing "vehicle" is not fully realized imo. I could only imagine building vehicles to carry materials, components and even NPCs around is exactly what Nintendo would do. If they don't go that deep, then why bother introducing this thing into the game?

Vehicle building will probably be possible through the use of one or several of the new runes, not in a menu. For example, you may pick up a wheel with a magnetic rune and move it into place. Not dissimilar to how you placed those gears in the DLC dungeon.

The only thing I could see maybe being in a menus is when you use wooden planks to build a platform or something. But even then they probably came up with some solution where you just do it in the world.

the meaning of the word "vehicle" is literally "a thing used for transporting people or goods". If the vehicle in TotK is only used for Link to travel from point A to point B, then the idea of introducing "vehicle" is not fully realized imo. I could only imagine building vehicles to carry materials, components and even NPCs around is exactly what Nintendo would do. If they don't go that deep, then why bother introducing this thing into the game?

I'm not opposed to what you're saying, but if the sky kingdom is as vertically large as I think it will be, the existence of vehicles is already more than justified

Vehicle building will probably be possible through the use of one or several of the new runes, not in a menu. For example, you may pick up a wheel with a magnetic rune and move it into place. Not dissimilar to how you placed those gears in the DLC dungeon.

The only thing I could see maybe being in a menus is when you use wooden planks to build a platform or something. But even then they probably came up with some solution where you just do it in the world.
I think there will be two options. For simple vehicles, like the flying one in the trailer, you can just build it in the world, but if players want to build more advanced ones with more precise control, then you can go to a shop or something, there will be a crafting menu dedicated to vehicle building. Kinda like how Animal Crossing handled home decoration.

If that's the case, they could just reintroduce the Loftwing. You have horse for the surface and Loftwing for the sky island, problem solved.
The_Legend_of_Zelda__Tears_of_the_Kingdom___Coming_May_12th__2023___Nintendo_Switch_1_6_screenshot.0.png

I'm slowly getting less interested in the game to be honest, which is surprising to me. I planned on taking a week of holidays when it would release, which I never did in the past, but Nintendo's silence and the apparently incremental nature of this sequel (from what we've seen and Nintendo's own words) has damped my enthusiasm for the game. I will play it, but probably not on release as it'll be the beginning of spring and I will favor wild outdoors instead. At least, I can choose to hike a new map everytime.
I was really looking forward to this period, I remember really looking forward to playing BOTW 6 years ago.

Let's see what the next trailer is, but I feel that I kind of moved on, no matter what they show. Unfortunate.

I'm slowly getting less interested in the game to be honest, which is surprising to me. I planned on taking a week of holidays when it would release, which I never did in the past, but Nintendo's silence and the apparently incremental nature of this sequel (from what we've seen and Nintendo's own words) has damped my enthusiasm for the game. I will play it, but probably not on release as it'll be the beginning of spring and I will favor wild outdoors instead. At least, I can choose to hike a new map everytime.
I was really looking forward to this period, I remember really looking forward to playing BOTW 6 years ago.

Let's see what the next trailer is, but I feel that I kind of moved on, no matter what they show. Unfortunate.
👋🏻

Have you guys seen the "leak" on reddit? Most of it can be inferred from trailers and the artbook, but it was an interesting read I guess.

Yeah, it's definitely fake. Details that go somewhat in depth but lack real elaborated descriptions are always fakes that someone spent a couple hours imagining.

Loftwings would allow unlimited flying which would break the game if you had one from the beginning, they are introducing vehicles with fuel as a restriction instead. But yeah I hope loftwings come as a late game reward too

Loftwings would allow unlimited flying which would break the game if you had one from the beginning, they are introducing vehicles with fuel as a restriction instead. But yeah I hope loftwings come as a late game reward too
But what if Loftwings had stamina?

Or required stamina to hold onto?

Honestly I don't expect them at all to give you a menu based way to carry around vehicle parts. I don't think vehicles crafting is even nearly that important to the overall gameplay. I certainly don't expect them to make you trudge all over the map to look for specific parts either. That's not at all in the spirit of what BOTW was going for.

What seems likelier is that they'll have a bunch of parts lying around all over the place and basically just let you experiment with them however you want, but not really force you to use any or especially bring any to other parts on the other side of the map.
Eh I kinda think they will give some sort of menu for one particular reason

In the latest trailer, there's a shot with a propeller located on a platform between two grind rails. As far as I can tell, there's no easy or convenient way to get that propeller anywhere beyond sticking it in an inventory

As far as sticking a wagon on a horse goes, that seems a good a way to power a vehicle as any. I imagine we'll have multiple ways to power our vehicles after all and horses would be fairly cool for that. I don't think they'll be required or used for transportation of parts though, besides maybe for specific side quests

Leak's still fake as hell though

Loftwings feel too easy, honestly. Horses in BoTW are balanced by being mostly useless, Loftwings feel like they would have the opposite problem

Building a vehicle sounds a lot more interesting for air travel

Loftwings are super charming, poetic, and their design is based on the coolest fucking bird on the planet.

But as far as gameplay goes, they can stay in Skyward Sword as far as I’m concerned.

Loftwings are super charming, poetic, and their design is based on the coolest fucking bird on the planet.

But as far as gameplay goes, they can stay in Skyward Sword as far as I’m concerned.
Yeah!ing that first part, not quite agreeing on the second.

I think the control aspect of them could be greatly improved by modern Nintendo, and then they'd be a blast in a huge open sky with an actual world underneath.

Anyone can translate? (It's not a leaker)

Looks like he asked if it's safe to assume there's news tomorrow.

To answer his question, it's unlikely we get news tomorrow, PAX is basically here and Nintendo said more TotK news will be shared at a later date, solid chance next week for goodies.

Holy shit

We can explore from the landscapes of Hyrule to the vast skies above.

I never would have thought.

Honestly, as funny as it may sound I like this ad a lot. Not to mention that we can hear more of the other sounds actually since they kept some there at better volume.

Anyone hungry for some cowpies?

[/spoiler)

This sounds completely real. Much of this I expected in the game anyways and the rest of it doesn't seem to far fetched. Nothing revolutionary here but sounds solid so I believe it. Still hoping for a much more grand story in this new game.

I doubt they are doing Treehouse: Live. By that I mean actually calling it Treehouse: Live and so with NOA employees. NCL or NOE don't have Treehouse so this is just a further example of how we will see Aonuma/Fujibayashi playing the game and not NOA employees which is good because the mechanics are too deep so they will be explained by actual employees.

the big marketing push will start after the Mario Movie, I think
I actually see them starting before the movie, so that whatever the big cinematic trailer is that they show next could play in front of the Mario movie. Would be a hell of a way to get a lot of eyes on it.

this surely has nothing to do with me desperately wanting to see a beautiful cinematic Zelda trailer in a movie theater

I actually see them starting before the movie, so that whatever the big cinematic trailer is that they show next could play in front of the Mario movie. Would be a hell of a way to get a lot of eyes on it.

this surely has nothing to do with me desperately wanting to see a beautiful cinematic Zelda trailer in a movie theater
this won’t happen and it’s gonna be piss me off because how would you not take that opportunity when you have Mario’s first animated movie releasing just a month before the next 3D Zelda. Like that’ll never happen again

I think someone said it’s movie studios who pay for ad spots so that kind of lowered my hope of sneaking a game trailer in there

It's funny how the exact date was confirmed 8 months in advance like with New Horizons but this wasn't always the case.

In the Wii U era, Mario Kart 8 was "Spring 2014" for a while and they confirmed it's May 30th release date on February 14th 2014 (only 3+ months). Splatoon was Q2 2015 for a while and the release date was announced on April 1st (2 months before the actual release).
So we can be only glad that Nintendo not operates like this in the Switch era because I can't imagine how internet reactions would look like if we had to wait till February 2023 Direct for a concrete release date.

It's funny how the exact date was confirmed 8 months in advance like with New Horizons but this wasn't always the case.

In the Wii U era, Mario Kart 8 was "Spring 2014" for a while and they confirmed it's May 30th release date on February 14th 2014 (only 3+ months). Splatoon was Q2 2015 for a while and the release date was announced on April 1st (2 months before the actual release).
So we can be only glad that Nintendo not operates like this in the Switch era because I can't imagine how internet reactions would look like if we had to wait till February 2023 Direct for a concrete release date.
I honestly think it’d be more positive now.

We’d have the same amount of info, but the Feb direct confirming the date only being three months away would’ve sent the hype into overdrive

Instead we knew the date 6 months ago and had assumed they had to be ramping up and that the February trailer SHOULDVE been a blowout

I honestly think it’d be more positive now.

We’d have the same amount of info, but the Feb direct confirming the date only being three months away would’ve sent the hype into overdrive

Instead we knew the date 6 months ago and had assumed they had to be ramping up and that the February trailer SHOULDVE been a blowout
Yes but like it's this constant obsession about how it will be delayed around December to February when they confirmed the exact date back in September. I was actually surprised how many people after the February Direct were like "oh, yes the release date it's the same, it's not delayed". That was always obvious it wouldn't be, when it has exact date it's rock solid so in the end it didn't even help they announced the date so far in advance, the comments about the delay were still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom