• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
GameXPlain changed the title, but this morning, I was in class, and I scrolled through the phone, and It only showed "The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kindom Direct."

Cutting off the or from director, I came here fast to see, but sadly, nothing, lol.

Maybe the secret is to not watch youtubers?
They aren't immune to criticism lol
Are you one of those people who sees someone criticize a movie and responds with "just don't watch it"?
They are taking advantage of a gullible audience and earning money off of it.
I admit it wouldn't be so much of a problem if I didn't see this videos constantly popping up in my feed.
Yes, Youtube has a "don't recommend channel" button. There's a catch though; it doesn't work.

They aren't immune to criticism lol
Are you one of those people who sees someone criticize a movie and responds with "just don't watch it"?
They are taking advantage of a gullible audience and earning money off of it.
I admit it wouldn't be so much of a problem if I didn't see this videos constantly popping up in my feed.
Yes, Youtube has a "don't recommend channel" button. There's a catch though; it doesn't work.
No... I'm of the opinion that these people making horrible clickbait YouTube videos should not be watched by anyone because they're producing trash.

If people stop watching them they will stop making them.

I could be wrong and if I am that’s cool. I feel like there’s a cadence to Nate’s post. Specific things he says and the timing of when he says it. I’ve seen his posting style for years now. But eh lol
Nah, I definitely get that feeling too. I just don't wanna draw attention to the obvious however because of how crazy things can get in here (in a good way lol).

Looks like weapon crafting goes beyond adding zonai tech to stuff. So I bet you're able to attach the enemy horns to stuff.

But if that's the case, why? Adding a cannon to a weapon, I could see how that would be useful. But adding a horn to a sword, I just don't see the point. It's not like there were situations in Botw where there wasn't another weapon to pick up. It feels like a weird appeasment to the anti-durability crowd somehow, but that wouldn't address their problem at all. lol

Maybe the horn breaks first, then you can use the original weapon again? Idk, just seems needlessly complicated.

Looks like weapon crafting goes beyond adding zonai tech to stuff. So I bet you're able to attach the enemy horns to stuff.

But if that's the case, why? Adding a cannon to a weapon, I could see how that would be useful. But adding a horn to a sword, I just don't see the point. It's not like there were situations in Botw where there wasn't another weapon to pick up. It feels like a weird appeasment to the anti-durability crowd somehow, but that wouldn't address their problem at all. lol

Maybe the horn breaks first, then you can use the original weapon again? Idk, just seems needlessly complicated.

Maybe the base weapon is never destroyed. It’s just in a very weak form.

Also, it could just be a mechanic they thought would be fun. The team might have literally never considered appeasement of the durability complaints because they were not shared by all. The game is very well loved, and many fans support the durability as is.

Maybe the base weapon is never destroyed. It’s just in a very weak form.

Also, it could just be a mechanic they thought would be fun. The team might have literally never considered appeasement of the durability complaints because they were not shared by all. The game is very well loved, and many fans support the durability as is.

It's completely possible they didn't think about durability complaints, but they tend to address feedback in some way. So I feel like they're going to do something while leaving the current system in place. Even if it's that, like you said, some weak weapons just never break. Or maybe when weapons break they turn into a weak version of the weapon.

I'm sure they did think adding crafting stuff to weapons was fun. But why is it fun? Again, I see why adding a cannon or flamethrower would be fun. But why would I want to attach a horn, rock or whatever else, to a perfectly good weapon? Does it give special abilities to a weapon, does it increase the stats? It feels like there's a piece of the puzzle missing that would make it make sense, that's what I'm trying to figure out.

Maybe it's just a byproduct of being able to attach stuff like the zonai equipment, and being able to attach horns isn't anything special, but you can do it if you want. But they obviously retrofitted all the enemies with weird new horns for a reason. It seems like a major gameplay element, but I can't think of any reason why.

Even though the developers treat the timeline as an afterthought I think it would be cool if they would find some way to merge timelines and use it as a chance to reboot the mythology, maybe Link doesn’t always have to be the chosen one, or get rid of the whole reincarnation method and a passing of the sword from one hero to the next, maybe even have a good Ganondorf and an evil Link or Zelda.

Anyone hungry for some cowpies?

[/spoiler)

I gotta say, dubious leaks like this one are fun. There's a few cute things in here that I can see happening.

• Camping. This'd be that RDR2 influence suggested earlier. Also would make sense if there's more extensive inventory and crafting systems.
  • Underground being similarly important as aboveground. This'd be such a Nintendo move: only advertise Skyrule pre-release, even though the underground is as much (or even more of) an attraction.
  • Zelda being assumed dead in Hyrule makes sense of the title.
  • Dungeons having optional parts corresponding to other dungeons is cool and would bring back some more of that Zelda/Metroid feeling of revisiting and unlocking more of previous locations.

This being said, the way the crafting and storage system is described makes it sound cumbersome and complex. That's not something Nintendo is usually happy with, as they often prioritise elegance. That'd be a major strike against this having credence.

Do we actually need the month of April? I say we start a petition to cancel April and go straight into May after March.

People who have birthday in April get the option to move it either into March or May!

I had a dream that it's May 12th and I got the game few days before launch. I was so pissed of when I woke up and found out it's still March.

I think it's meant to be the main way of getting weapons this time around. In BotW they had to make more or less every enemy humanoid so that they could all carry weapons for you to use, if you're using monster parts to make weapons this time then that won't be necessary, we could have a bunch of very odd looking enemies too.

Plus considering the master sword is mostly destroyed, this would be a way to preserve its usefulness (until/unless it's repaired).

[/spoiler)

This is oddly believable, especially the "hitch wagons to your horses in order to travel around and pick up large vehicle pieces" part, hmm...interesting...

If this leak is indeed real, then I would assume it's from a game tester.

Last edited:
The leak is kinda cool and believable in certain aspects, but completely falls apart at the end with talk of weapon customization and broken weapons taking up inventory space.

As has been said here before, Nintendo opts for more elegant solutions to player problems, and if they can't do it they just won't add it that way. The way it was described in the "leak" sounds like the antithesis to how Nintendo designs their games.

The leak is kinda cool and believable in certain aspects, but completely falls apart at the end with talk of weapon customization and broken weapons taking up inventory space.

As has been said here before, Nintendo opts for more elegant solutions to player problems, and if they can't do it they just won't add it that way. The way it was described in the "leak" sounds like the antithesis to how Nintendo designs their games.
The reason why I think weapon customization is somewhat believable is because I think in TotK Nintendo clearly wants to improve the overall utilization of all kinds of materials (like how Keese Eyeball can be attached to an arrow now). in BotW Gems can only be used to upgrade armors or sold for rupees, using it to customize weapons would be a nice touch.

Don't forget there is a real artbook leak out there that this person could be drawing inspiration from (whether or not they are I don't know, I barely looked at the rumor), so if it seems like some things look possibly plausible it may have come from there.

Personally I don't buy it, the tone of what I did read seems to fit the fake leak template to a T. "There will be this thing- like we saw in the last trailer!"

[/spoiler)

A mod from the subreddit replied with this:
I've reached out to the user who posted this to try and get even an inkling of where he would have gotten this information from and I've obviously gotten no response. I'll leave it up for now, I doubt we get a response though. Take this with the worlds largest grain of salt possible

Don't forget there is a real artbook leak out there that this person could be drawing inspiration from (whether or not they are I don't know, I barely looked at the rumor), so if it seems like some things look possibly plausible it may have come from there.

Personally I don't buy it, the tone of what I did read seems to fit the fake leak template to a T. "There will be this thing- like we saw in the last trailer!"
Normally I would assume those leaks are all fake, but the "hitch wagons to your horses in order to travel around and pick up large vehicle pieces" part is just so tempting, it's one idea that I've never seen anyone mentioned before yet it makes so much sense to me (cause why else would you use a horse in TotK?). If it's fake then I can only say that they did a great job in tricking me with this one idea lol.

Normally I would assume those leaks are all fake, but the "hitch wagons to your horses in order to travel around and pick up large vehicle pieces" part is just so tempting, it's one idea that I've never seen anyone mentioned before yet it makes so much sense to me (cause why else would you use a horse in TotK?). If it's fake then I can only say that they did a great job tricking me with this one idea lol.
See, I disagree, I think that idea is extremely antithetical to how BOTW was designed and likely how TOTK will be designed. They don't want you to have a massive storage locker full of large vehicle parts or weapons, they want you to basically just experiment with the few things you find lying around. If you wind up being able to collect and store vehicle parts that will turn the game into even more of a menu-fest, which is something they won't want.

Also, the idea of having a wagon to keep track of doesn't fit with the freedom of being able to climb, fly, dive, go anywhere. If they do give you something to hold onto parts it will wind up being some magical bag you have on you at all times, not a wagon that you hitch to your horse which you'll have to leave behind constantly.

That idea screams fake.

See, I disagree, I think that idea is extremely antithetical to how BOTW was designed and likely how TOTK will be designed. They don't want you to have a massive storage locker full of large vehicle parts or weapons, they want you to basically just experiment with the few things you find lying around. If you wind up being able to collect and store vehicle parts that will turn the game into even more of a menu-fest, which is something they won't want.

Also, the idea of having a wagon to keep track of doesn't fit with the freedom of being able to climb, fly, dive, go anywhere. If they do give you something to hold onto parts it will wind up being some magical bag you have on you at all times, not a wagon that you hitch to your horse which you'll have to leave behind constantly.

That idea screams fake.
oh no I entirely disagree, I don't think those vehicle components could fit in any kind of "magical bag", you have to have a way to carry them around, and wagon makes total sense (at least in the early part of the game where players haven't built their own more advanced vehicle yet).

in BotW you already need to keep track of your horse, with or without a wagon, I don't think it's that big a deal.

oh no I entirely disagree, I don't think those vehicle components could fit in any kind of "magical bag", you have to have a way to carry them around, and wagon makes total sense (at least in the early part of the game where players haven't built their own more advanced vehicle yet).

in BotW you already need to keep track of your horse, with or without a wagon, I don't think it's that big a deal.
Honestly I don't expect them at all to give you a menu based way to carry around vehicle parts. I don't think vehicles crafting is even nearly that important to the overall gameplay. I certainly don't expect them to make you trudge all over the map to look for specific parts either. That's not at all in the spirit of what BOTW was going for.

What seems likelier is that they'll have a bunch of parts lying around all over the place and basically just let you experiment with them however you want, but not really force you to use any or especially bring any to other parts on the other side of the map.

Do we send the islands back down to the ground?

It have seen discussions so months ago about the other way, meaning sending islands to the sky making new underground sections.
But it could be that you are right on this. (or maybe both directions to solve puzzles.

Honestly I don't expect them at all to give you a menu based way to carry around vehicle parts. I don't think vehicles crafting is even nearly that important to the overall gameplay. I certainly don't expect them to make you trudge all over the map to look for specific parts either. That's not at all in the spirit of what BOTW was going for.

What seems likelier is that they'll have a bunch of parts lying around all over the place and basically just let you experiment with them however you want, but not really force you to use any or especially bring any to other parts on the other side of the map.
I don't think it will be a "menu based way" to carry around vehicle parts tho. BotW's physics engine is advanced enough to handle a somewhat realistic carrying around mechanic. You just put those parts you found with the enhanced "magnesis" ability on the wagon and carry them around, no menu should be involved in the process.

The car-like vehicle in the trailer is actually pretty complicated with more than 10 parts (including different wheels, headlights, power-source thingy) involved in its creation, I don't think those 10+ parts will just be conveniently scattered all in one place. You have to have a way to collect them from different places in order to build a vehicle like that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom