• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Pre-Release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone needs to make a fake YouTube thumbnail with Nate's avatar on it with a red arrow and circle pointing to him and text saying: "Does he know?"

I don't think the OLED was canned, but they might just Twitter drop it with a 1 minute trailer, give it a release date and say nothing else about it.

If the OLED announcement isn't shown by next week then I'll start considering the idea it got canned but not yet.

They had the Mario bundle to market and sell before. They will announce the Zoled when it's best for them.
People will have to play the game soon enough. Usually previews starts around a month or 2 before release. So i think mid April we could have some kind of event where they release a trailer and show some gameplay, press can assist and share previews. Then they will get copies end of April/early may to review it a week before release.

I personally think the biggest mystery from the last trailer is why is Link fighting the mascotte from the 1990 World Cup

Italia_90.png

I bet that block monster will reassemble into different enemies, giving it puppet Ganon vibes. Heck, there's probably enough blocks for it to reassemble into a block spider or maybe it'll turn into a block snake and try to push you off the edge of the sky island and give us aLttP 3rd temple boss ptsd.

Controversial opinion?

I feel like stuff like massive underwater exploration, boats, fishing (fishing pole) and other stuff not seen in BOTW would really help to sell me on reusing the same Hyrule map as it would make the map I already explored for more then 100 hours, more exciting and new again. Imagine having to dive deep into Lake Hylia or the ocean in order to find some lost temple ruins to explore and various other cool stuff and treasures...

I think once we hit April 12th (which is 20 days away), post-Mario Movie, we'll get a one month countdown with a TotK media blowout.

Previews / trailers / details etc. I'm not expecting anything TotK related until the Mario Movie is out and the film will obviously be a huge success. Perhaps there's a new trailer to go alongside the movie release, but I doubt it...

Imagine having to dive deep into Lake Hylia or the ocean in order to find some lost temple ruins to explore and various other cool stuff and treasures...

I mean, isn't that the same thing as the underground and the sky islands? New areas that you can fly to or deep dive in order to find temple ruins, treasures, enemies, etc

I mean, isn't that the same thing as the underground and the sky islands? New areas that you can fly to or deep dive in order to find temple ruins, treasures, enemies, etc
Just better because you don’t have to deal with swimming controls lol

Underwater is not really something I missed in BotW

Controversial opinion?

I feel like stuff like massive underwater exploration, boats, fishing (fishing pole) and other stuff not seen in BOTW would really help to sell me on reusing the same Hyrule map as it would make the map I already explored for more then 100 hours, more exciting and new again. Imagine having to dive deep into Lake Hylia or the ocean in order to find some lost temple ruins to explore and various other cool stuff and treasures...
As someone who actually really likes underwater exploration and would be hyped as hell to see it here, I'm not sure why that's what hypes you and not stuff like the sky and underground? Kinda covers a lot of similar bases there

Hell, you probably get a lot more new playable space with underground and sky since you can put those anywhere instead of just under bodies of water

Being underwater is a thing you either love or hate. I love that it adds another layer of experiencing the environment. It usually comes with a new control scheme, ambient sounds and added gameplay.

But making divable water work in a game where we phase through objects and everything is made out of physics can be a huge undertaking...

As someone who actually really likes underwater exploration and would be hyped as hell to see it here, I'm not sure why that's what hypes you and not stuff like the sky and underground? Kinda covers a lot of similar bases there

Hell, you probably get a lot more playable space with underground and sky since you can put those anywhere instead of just under bodies of water

So far I feel the sky islands and underground stuff we have seen didn't look all that exciting to me. The sky stuff looks "weird" and kind of out of place as the island chunks look all mechanical and such which always looked off-putting to me but we don't really have context for them yet and when we do it may click in place for me. I'm sure the Zelda team is intentionally avoiding showing interesting things on the islands and underground to avoid spoilers but it makes the trailers less exciting for me.

So far I feel the sky islands and underground stuff we have seen didn't look all that exciting to me. The sky stuff looks "weird" and kind of out of place as the island chunks look all mechanical and such which always looked off-putting to me but we don't really have context for them yet and when we do it may click in place for me. I'm sure the Zelda team is intentionally avoiding showing interesting things on the islands and underground to avoid spoilers but it makes the trailers less exciting for me.

I guarantee you that if they showed underwater exploration in these trailers it'd be extremely limited and we'd be having the same conversation about it

I guarantee you that if they showed underwater exploration in these trailers it'd be extremely limited and we'd be having the same conversation about it

I wished for underwater exploring as well but I doubt it will be in it and it's not important to me anymore.
They should fully realize that in the next game after TotK, where the map is designed for it.
For TotK the sky and underground is a better fit to expand the world.

I hope we will see Link free falling in the next trailer like we did several times now, but then he turns around in mid-air, with his back now facing the ground. He takes out a bow and shoots enemies in the sky above him - in slow motion.

I would much prefer underground exploration rather than underwater exploration, unless it's ocean exploration and you can go super duper deep where you can't even see the light, otherwise it's not that interesting to me tbh.

Adding proper fishing would be nice tho.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Nintendo fired their entire marketing department?
Nintendo is shook after Kit and Krysta left.

Just want to say, Kit did an absolute fire job as lead marketing for BotW. We simultaneously got so much information, but they also left so much to discover. I know that Kit had to sort of grit against the developers to get them to release more information, but it was worth it. Everything that Nintendo portrayed with BotW was pure confidence.

I gotta say, it was far better than what we have now. You knew that BotW would be something special like 9 months before release. We are less than 2 months away, and even fans are confused why they should be excited for this game.

You don’t even need to look far for the sentiment that Lozjam described lmao. Plenty of people here, a Nintendo fan board, have said so.

In regards to underwater exploration I actually really hope they add it. I've never had an issue with underwater controls, and honestly,

Even the worst underwater controls >>>>> water being a permanent obstacle like BOTW

The 4th edition of this series will release this Friday, probably will be the Gerudo region and they'll end it there. They've been doing a region every 2 weeks and there isn't enough time to do every region in BotW, but they've done Lanayru, Eldin, Hebra and on Friday probably Gerudo, those are the big 4 besides Hyrule (the field and castle). But I don't think this series has any real impact on TotK marketing since it's relatively insignificant.
Poor Faron with its scrapped divine beast, I really hope totk does more with it considering it’s zonai ground zero and it’s safe to assume the zonai will play a major part in totk.

Speaking of I’ve seen so many people cope that the zonai won’t matter and were just a filler thing in botw, which is just ?

Let me explain:

Yes of course, some fans are excited. But really, the intention is something that can backfire intensely. But there's not really a central thesis why.

When marketing started for BotW, they hammered home 3 huge things:
1. A giant open world
2. Their newly coined "open air design"
3. The physics and chemistry system.

And people were really excited about those things. Others were excited about stuff like the story, but if you were to ask a random Nintendo fan why they were excited, one of those things would come up. And that's what their marketing focused on, and it was extremely effective.

Now, with Nintendo's marketing of Tears of the Kingdom, their main ethos is "explore the land and the sky of hyrule". And really, not much else.

Is your average Nintendo fan excited for Tears of the Kingdom really excited by the sky? From what I can tell, people who are really excited for Tears of the Kingdom are super excited for 3 reasons, and they are nowhere near close to what Nintendo is marketing.
People are excited for:
1. The prospects of having full dungeons in the game, which is not confirmed by Nintendo and could definitely not be in the game.
2. New gameplay innovations showcased through Nintendo's patents, and stuff that aren't really confirmed to be in the game(crafting, underwater traveling, time reversal, time travel, droplet teleporting, skydiving combat).
3. The story, and the implications of Zonai. Again, which may vary wildly in quality, and again isn't confirmed.

This is a kind of huge rift between what Nintendo is showing, and what fans are expecting. Now, if Nintendo can deliver stuff like that, then it won't be a problem. But there is a huge gap nonetheless that can take shape, and really backfire if these made up, or hinted implications don't come to light.

I really think that it's not so much the amount of information too. They could have more interviews just going a little bit more in depth what they are doing, and why fans should be excited, and the scope of the game. Like when the developers straight up said, that the Great Plateau was about 1% of the game.

Now, the fact is, that can be cleaned up with just a single trailer. But the fact that the majority of fans aren't excited by what they see, but what they haven't yet seen is a gamble.

It will still work out in sales I think, as I have defended before. But it is quite dangerous for a game to do this.

Nintendo is shook after Kit and Krysta left.

Just want to say, Kit did an absolute fire job as lead marketing for BotW. We simultaneously got so much information, but they also left so much to discover. I know that Kit had to sort of grit against the developers to get them to release more information, but it was worth it. Everything that Nintendo portrayed with BotW was pure confidence.

I gotta say, it was far better than what we have now. You knew that BotW would be something special like 9 months before release. We are less than 2 months away, and even fans are confused why they should be excited for this game.
Not trying to be rude but this makes no sense at all.

I'm sure Kit and Krysta did fire job and mad respect to them, but Kit was the lead marketing for BotW in NoA, not in entire Nintendo. Major marketing decisions for BotW were already made in Nintendo by the marketing team and developers in Japan, Kit might negotiate with them for what information was spoilery or not, but I don't think he could really decide whether BotW's gameplay demo would be shown in a treehouse or not more than half a year before the game released.

BotW's first look was shown at E3 2014 by Aonuma, then the first gameplay was shown at TGA 2014 by Aonuma and Miyamoto. At E3 2016 we've already seen tons of gameplay footage of BotW, are you indicating that these decisions were all made possible by Kit? I don't think that's the case.

BotW and TotK clearly have completely different marketing approaches.

In regards to underwater exploration I actually really hope they add it. I've never had an issue with underwater controls, and honestly,

Even the worst underwater controls >>>>> water being a permanent obstacle like BOTW
The only issue is hyrule has a really terribly designed river system for that purpose. Bassically separating the ocean and any inland lakes and rivers, the only thing you could really do anything with is the sea east of Faron.

The only issue is hyrule has a really terribly designed river system for that purpose. Bassically separating the ocean and any inland lakes and rivers, the only thing you could really do anything with is the sea east of Faron.
I mean I think there's plenty you could do with the waters of Hyrule. You could have a temple below Lake Hylia or a series of caves below Lake Floria or a secret Zora Hideout where they're hiding from Ganondorf at the bottom of the dam Vah Rutah was in.

Like it could still be an obstacle at first, but I'd very much like to enjoy exploring the water than it being something I continually avoid like BOTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Please note that this thread is completely spoiler-free, and that includes tagged spoilers. If you want to discuss spoilers, we refer to the spoiler thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom