• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion I have technically purchased the OST of Octopath Traveler (and its sequel) 9 times and I regret exactly nothing.

Maronic03

Chain Chomp
Pronouns
He/Him

I you played Octopath Traveler, it is likely you enjoyed its music, you may have even bought the official soundtrack (shout out to SE for adding the tracklist in english as well) . I sure did, but it was far from over.

A few months later SE released the "break and Boost" CD, featuring mutiple fan-favorite tracks from the game remixed by the original composer, Yasunori Nishiki. After hearing this:

I knew I had no choice.

A few months after that, they made what was essentially the second part of those arrangements, the "Break and Boost, Extend" CD.
"Darn it" I said out loud, "Couldn't they have just released both CDs at the same time ?" I asked, only to buy it anyway after listening to that delightful version of "River of life" (the part at 2:30 is so good holy shit):

Unfortunately, Square enix was not done in their quest to take all my money be exploting my endless Ocoptath love. Those dastards decided to take all those arrangements and make a concert out of it. Obviously, I had to buy the blue ray of said concert even though the tracks themselves were the same from the two previous CDs. But hey, the cover is sick and it looks nice on my shelve so it's totally worth it.

Anyway, the point of this thread is mostly to brag about my collection mention that those arrangements exist. Octopath's soundtrack is very popular, but I don't

Last edited:
Is it still possible to buy the CD and where would I go to do so. Amazon.jp?
Which one ?

The original soundtrack is available on CDjapan : https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SQEX-10642?s_ssid=e4704a61850b07fa6d
The break and boost CD is on the Square store : https://store.eu.square-enix-games....54/octopath-traveler-arrangements-break-boost
The extend CD seems to be currently unavailable on both sites, but you can ask to be notified if they get more stock : https://store.eu.square-enix-games....path-traveler-arrangements-break-boost-extend

Despite its great reputation, it’s one of these OST that still feels underrated. I listen to it quite often, years after playing the game. Used to listen to it while taking my dog out for a walk before he died just before the first Covid lockdown here, so it also carries a bit of extra emotion for me nowadays.

I have all of those as well and no regrets. when the original soundtrack is 10/10 and the arrangement album are 11. yasunori nishiki being relatively young makes me excited that we'll have them around for a while.

and it could be worse. at least you didn't buy the 16-bit album: https://vgmdb.net/album/87268

Such a good OST and still salty it lost to Red Dead at the Game Wards with its generic as seen in every western movie music. Cannot say I was surprised through because it was pretty much a “look at me, im Hollywood! Take our medium seriously!”

Such a good OST and still salty it lost to Red Dead at the Game Wards with its generic as seen in every western movie music. Cannot say I was surprised through because it was pretty much a “look at me, im Hollywood! Take our medium seriously!”
Switch games have been robbed each and every year on that particular award show in that particular category, sometimes with slam dunk winners not even being nominated.

It's that good and I'm glad that people are enjoying it this much.

Switch games have been robbed each and every year on that particular award show in that particular category, sometimes with slam dunk winners not even being nominated.
I e come to terms that Nintendo will forever be the family category. Family game of the year goes to…. Shin Megami Tensei 5!!!!

Bummed that the OST is out of stock on SE's EU online shop ... Hopefully they will restock it soon, this time I will grab it along Triangle Strategy's OST (if it's released there).
Also I'd recommend analyses from 8-bit Music Theory and Game Score Fanfare on composition of OT's music for interested folks. Thanks to them, I've learned to appreciate how the composers infused retro music's DNAs into modern orchestral composition as well as desiging transitional pieces between cutscene/battle phases.

Last edited:
To be fair, welcome to half of The Game Awards. the other half is advertising via GamerScores and sales.

The vinyl came out yesterday in Japan :

According to the Square store, us filthy gaijins will have to wait until october 14 to get it.

The journey of Square Enix sucking me dry through this franchise naturally continues with the sequel.

As such, I have already pre-ordered the main soundtrack of Ocotpath Traveler II, this is on top of the "Extended battle tracks CD" that is included in the collector edition (that I also already pre-ordered, obviously). Meaning I technically bought the soundtrack of a game I have mostly never heard twice.

Finally, these two items made me pay around 250€ for a game that has yet to receive any review whatsoever. This is a perfectly normal endeavor.

Anyway, let's enjoy the main theme again:

The title has been updated to welcome the newest family member that just arrived!

That's right, as previously mentionned the collector edition has a CD that consists of the same 3 boss themes repeated with a different character intro 8 times each. Yes it absolutely counts.

Look forward to the next instalment of this melodic saga whenever SE decides to release the full 6 CDs soundtrack.

That's right, as previously mentionned the collector edition has a CD that consists of the same 3 boss themes repeated with a different character intro 8 times each. Yes it absolutely counts.

Look forward to the next instalment of this melodic saga whenever SE decides to release the full 6 CDs soundtrack.
The battle track CD is a stroke of genius: "Here's this (rather useless) CD exclusive to the collector's edition!" Damn SE know they can milk Nishiki's name now and they won't wait a second longer ahahah

I think I'll drop my steelbook pre-order, go digital, and buy the (full) CD to have something physical to collect, and to listen to of course! It should ship in early March and include the whole OST right?

nius: "Here's this (rather useless) CD exclusive to the collector's edition!" Damn SE know they can milk Nishiki's name now and they won't wait a second longer ahahah

I think I'll drop my steelbook pre-order, go digital, and buy the (full) CD to have something physical to collect, and to listen to of course! It should ship in early March and include the whole OST right?
Yes the 6 CDs soudntrack is the full thing.

To think the OG soundtrack was "only" 4 CDs, those night themes have really inflated the score's length.

P-20230316-170542.jpg

Now that I have gathered all 7 Octo soundtracks, I can finally turn into my super form! It allows me to detect anyone claiming that Octopath is a grindy game, no matter where they are, so I can warp to them and explain to those ignorant fools why they are O.B.J.E.C.T.I.V.E.L.Y wrong.

(That's a total of 16 discs BTW.)

Last edited:
Maybe I should buy the Octopath Traveler game for the Nintendo Switch system

I enjoy good music, don't I? This thread has given much to think about

The magical 8th number has been reached, are you proud of me Fami?

As a bonus, here's Nishiki's comment from the newest CD:

Octopath Traveler is celebrating the 5th anniversary of its release, and the number of songs the series boast has reached an impressive total!
The first BB arrangement album was released without us knowing right from left, and I am incredibly pleased that we were nonetheless able to hold a live event in Tokyo's Hachioji City as well as a variety of online concerts for you to enjoy, all of wich culminated in the Octopath Traveler staple song arrangement album.

And our second BB album is now here! We've changed up some of our methodology and song selection to create a colorful suite of arrangements that we think you will find delightful.

These five years of work have seen the releases of Octopath Traveler, Octopath Traveler II, Octopath Traveler: Champions of the Continent, and I hope you enjoy the end result of all our efforts.

Small-scale arrangements, we surmised, must be easier to create because they involve fewer instruments. But in actuality, it is much harder to make minor adjustments and hide any warts that might pop up, so it's a lot more difficult to create this kind of arragement album that one might expect. As someone who usually takes a much more hands-on approach to his work, this kind of opportunity was a perfect way for me to take a bird's eye view of things. (Although I did put in one arrangement myself as a little bit of redemption).

The final product is one that contains numerous technically impressive arragements in which you'll never notice the constraints we worked under. We put forth an unbelievable amount of effort into each individual song, tying them together into one cohesive volume, and I am incredibly happy to be able to share them all with you. We will remain on this journey as long as you continue to enjoy the content we deliver, and I'll keep composing as long as I'm able and for as long as you'll have me.

I am incredibly grateful that you have chosen this product and hope you will enjoy it as one page in the story that is your life.

Square Enix is milking Nishiki harder than any of their other composers... and we're all for it! It's a great endorsement of the Octopath series on the whole so it's nice to see. (Of course on top of recognizing Nishiki's wonderful work).

OCTOPATH TRAVELER II's OST also just went up on Spotify, Youtube, and Apple Music, in case anyone is reading this thread but not the RPG ST.

Q0HwvrA.jpeg

Number 9 is here, if I'm not mistaken this is the first time most of the songs are by guest artists:

Shiro Hmaguchi - Track 1 (Main Theme)
Yuya Mori - Track 2, 6 and 7 (The Riverlands, For Treasure + Decisive Battle 2, A sensational City)
Yasunori Nishiki - Track 3 (Battle 1 + Victory fanfare)
Nakagawa Taakaaki - Track 4 (The Uncharted Isle of Orsa)
Yuma Yamaguchi - Track 5 (Bestover Of Wealth)
Atsuki Yoshida - Track 8 (At your Back)
Kenta Higashiohji - Track 9 (In Puirsuit Of Kingship + Critical clash 2)
Sachiko Miyano - Track 10 (Guardians of Light Who Awaits on Greed's Path)

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to get tickets to the concert last month, and came away with a mini haul. The concert was amazing.

lTGIDYk.jpeg

Not sure if anyone would be interested here, but I have an extra copy of the limited concert pamphlet and soundtrack analysis book that came with my ticket if somebody wanted it. Would be around $50 shipped (I've found the soundtrack analysis alone sold for ~$70 online).
kcnEzJA.jpeg

xILzd0C.jpeg

11e9wLg.jpeg

The hardcover pamphlet covers the performers and tracks, with brief summaries of the games, and I'm not sure what's inside the soundtrack analysis book since I haven't opened it.

This thread bump inspired me to check iTunes in the US to see if the sequel's soundtrack was ever made available for purchase. I swear it wasn't available only a few weeks or months ago, but now it's showing up! So for anyone that was waiting for it, assuming the iTunes listing is lying and this OST wasn't available in the US since 3/1/23, it's now available!

I've yet to play either game extensively as they both continue to sit in my backlog, but I really enjoyed the soundtrack from the first game and hope I'll like the sequel's, too.

Yeah after loving the first game I still haven't found the time to start II, so the concert was the first time I heard the tracks (along with the ones from the mobile game). I wish I grinded out the game before the concert because I definitely would've appreciated them more.

I was lucky enough to get tickets to the concert last month, and came away with a mini haul. The concert was amazing.

lTGIDYk.jpeg

Not sure if anyone would be interested here, but I have an extra copy of the limited concert pamphlet and soundtrack analysis book that came with my ticket if somebody wanted it. Would be around $50 shipped (I've found the soundtrack analysis alone sold for ~$70 online).
kcnEzJA.jpeg

xILzd0C.jpeg

11e9wLg.jpeg

The hardcover pamphlet covers the performers and tracks, with brief summaries of the games, and I'm not sure what's inside the soundtrack analysis book since I haven't opened it.

Money is a bit tight right now, if the offer still stands in early May I'll contact you.

Back
Top Bottom