• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Super Mario Bros. Wonder — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
All these people praising the new art style... am I blind? I can barely see any changes!

Level design looked fun, though. I'm sure it'll be great. Just looked nowhere near the kind of "next generation of 2d Mario" evolution I expected. I don't know if I was expecting hand-drawn art or sprites or what, but... this really just looked like more NSMB to me.

Doesn't look bad but I'd have taken another New Super Mario Bros over this. The art style is just kinda dog.
Elephant Mario is cool though and I like the talking flowers. Daisy being playable is great as well.

This looks insane. A true evolution for 2D Mario.

The name is kind of dumb though. "Super Mario Wonderland" would have rolled off the tongue much better.

Either way this is my most anticipated game now.

I'll be honest. I never expected Super Mario Bros to look this stylish and crazy.
Big, major kudos to the 2D Mario team. They went beyond every expectations.
It even actually look hand drawn, an expectation that I've spent the last few years here and on the old site to answer by saying "nah, it'll be 3D style, it's too popular. Hand drawn just doesn't draw casual audience the same", and yet they did it and it looks glorious, weird and fantastic !! Love it !

Near the end it looked like Yoshi was playable too

and not with one of the fraud characters subjugating him to being used as a horse

PRAISE HYLIA, FINALLY A GOOD GAME OUT OF EPD THIS YEAR

yes this is bait

I like the way it looks, it still has that plastickiness from NSMBU but they roll with it by making everything so malleable. Love that Peach proper is playable (NSMBU was so weird about that...). The level design already looked like brain massage material - I really missed that the past couple of years.

Musically though... they're going for a dreamlike vibe which is interesting, but those Roland Scatting Voices (tm) up front and centre in your first trailer? Doesn't bode too well.

Anyway, hype!

• New 2D Mario
  • Unique art style
  • Wacky gameplay mechanics
  • Brand new enemies and NPCs
  • Level themes that aren't the obvious
  • Luigi, Peach, Toad, and Daisy playable
  • New voice clips for the characters finally
  • A goddamn ELEPHANT MARIO

Yeah this could not possibly have turned out better. Except for maybe the name but whatever.

All these people praising the new art style... am I blind? I can barely see any changes!

Level design looked fun, though. I'm sure it'll be great. Just looked nowhere near the kind of "next generation of 2d Mario" evolution I expected. I don't know if I was expecting hand-drawn art or sprites or what, but... this really just looked like more NSMB to me.
While it is closer on the surface than I myself expected (more of an evolution than a revolution), I think you need to look a biiit closer. This is the most "different" we've seen the Mario crew in a minute.

Looks fantastic and nutty. This is what I’m fucking talking about.

The style, while understandably not hand-drawn, is clearly taking more from the Kotabe/Nakaue art.

I was off with the game, Super Mario RPG releases on Tezuka's birthday and not this. NEW PATTERN UNLOCKED, EPD EMPLOYEES AND THEIR BIRTHDAYS.

image.png

Looks good, definitely an evolution from the New Super Mario games, but I hope it's deeper that just beating worlds.

For real though, with how trippy this looks, they should've named it:

The Wonderful Mario Bros.

It's incredible that they took the nsmb style and improved it that much. The animations are what sell it, Mario looks so expressive. It's just oozing fun. I can't believe it

Though I agree the name is oddly boring for how absolutely whimsical it is lol

You kinda need a new pair of eyes if you think this looks like New Super Mario Bros beyond being 2.5D, the animation work alone is far more stylized.

Well, that's October's game set in stone for me. Normally I don't go for 2D Mario games, but this looks like good wacky wonderful fun.

I can't believe they actually kept the New aesthetic after all the hate it's gotten and how fucking long it's been around (I'm loving all the completely different reads on what this looks like though, lol), but at least we're definitely not getting the same 8 worlds for the fifth time.

Also it's on drugs now, which I mean, I kind of got over Normal Super Mario Bros. years ago, but I guess Nintendo can make one themselves if they want.

While it is closer on the surface than I myself expected (more of an evolution than a revolution), I think you need to look a biiit closer. This is the most "different" we've seen the Mario crew in a minute.
The characters looks different facially, I can see the improvement there... but the levels themselves have that same NSMB look. It's not a bad look at all - I thought that in NSMBU in HD it started to look great - but because most of the screen is just the level it gives the game a samey feeling that I wasn't expecting at all. I was expecting something that would look radically different, in the way that SMB1 -> SMB3 -> SMW -> NSMB all looked radically different.

If I was selecting this "Wonder" level palette in a potential new Super Mario Maker 3 game, I don't think I'd immediatlely be able to tell if it was the NSMB palette or the Wonder palette.

Nintendo with a surprise GOTY candidate in an already packed year

But why the hell is it the same day as Spider-Man, I only have so much time, man
I can't believe they actually kept the New aesthetic after all the hate it's gotten and how fucking long it's been around (I'm loving all the completely different reads on what this looks like though, lol), but at least we're definitely not getting the same 8 worlds for the fifth time.

Also it's on drugs now, which I mean, I kind of got over Normal Super Mario Bros. years ago, but I guess Nintendo can make one themselves if they want.
This is absolutely NOT the new aesthetic wtf are you talking about

I could not be more pumped for this. Playable Peach and Daisy, multiplayer, the art style being such a departure, everything looking brand new and inventive and completely leaving the New series in the past.

this doesn't look like the new aesthetic at all

1. Nobody ever complained about the artstyle outside of internet forums.

2. This isn't even the NSMB artstyle.

This doesn't look like NSMB at all lol. This look a loooootttt more expressive and color palette are more akin to 2D arts more

It's still a side-scrolling polygonal take on Mario settings with pretty standard 3D rendering, so it's definitely going to be very similar to NSMB. But unlike the other NSMB games, it doesn't look like they just took the same tilesets and objects and are now showing them in higher def. Mario animates in different ways than the shared way of the 4 NSMB games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom