• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Pre-Release Super Mario Bros. Wonder — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wow, that's pretty bad. I remember Luigi's Mansion 3 using some MK8 lines for Peach in the intro and they just did not work.

Right?

Like, I know it's not really a big deal at all when it comes to Mario games. Voice recycling has been done for ages.

But I dunno, I always think it's a shame. I'm almost certain Rosalina's VA hasn't recorded any new lines since MK8 either - potential Tour alts notwithstanding.
...Luigi! :)

I feel seen. People understandably don't care about the recycling, but it gets kinda noticeable when a character is unable to be contextually voiced in certain instances, like Peach in LM3, and can only rely on a voice bank of generic noises.

Frankly, having a new Mario Strikers drop after 15 years that relies entirely on old ass voice clips (when the previous entries were known for their very contextual voice work) had me at my limit. The animations are incredible, but I feel like there's a limit on how much mileage you can get in animation off of decades old grunts and short phrases.

And yes, I definitely think you're right about Rosalina as well. It suuucks.

Christian Donlan waxes lyrical once again this time about Mario Wonder and the series penchant for secrets:

In a way, the impact of Super Mario and those warp pipes was a bit like the impact I felt when playing the Stanley Parable all those years later. So much in these games amounts to the designer saying to you, "You thought of that, eh? Good work. And of course, I thought of it first."

...Luigi! :)

I feel seen. People understandably don't care about the recycling, but it gets kinda noticeable when a character is unable to be contextually voiced in certain instances, like Peach in LM3, and can only rely on a voice bank of generic noises.

Frankly, having a new Mario Strikers drop after 15 years that relies entirely on old ass voice clips (when the previous entries were known for their very contextual voice work) had me at my limit. The animations are incredible, but I feel like there's a limit on how much mileage you can get in animation off of decades old grunts and short phrases.

And yes, I definitely think you're right about Rosalina as well. It suuucks.
I wouldn’t be surprised if wonder is a big, reset for for va’s and overall voice lines, Chuase I do liek the idk va’s but they started sounding really inconsistent at the end, hearing Mario in mk8 and then playing oddyssey was jarring.

They also redid yoshi entirely I think?

I wouldn’t be surprised if wonder is a big, reset for for va’s and overall voice lines, Chuase I do liek the idk va’s but they started sounding really inconsistent at the end, hearing Mario in mk8 and then playing oddyssey was jarring.

They also redid yoshi entirely I think?
Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. It's why even though Mario/Luigi are the only ones confirmed to be recast, I'm also listening closely to Peach and Daisy and keeping an eyebrow upturned at Ashly Burch promoting the game (with a Wonder shirt no less) next to Doug Bowser at that one stage event.

And I hope Totaka is still voicing Yoshi, but even if so it sounds like a whole new set of recordings.

Ashly Burch has the range that she could probably do both Peach and Daisy.

But, to my untrained ear it still sounds like it's Samantha Kelly and Deana Mustard as the princesses. But then I thought the same of Martinet and here we are.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. It's why even though Mario/Luigi are the only ones confirmed to be recast, I'm also listening closely to Peach and Daisy and keeping an eyebrow upturned at Ashly Burch promoting the game (with a Wonder shirt no less) next to Doug Bowser at that one stage event.

And I hope Totaka is still voicing Yoshi, but even if so it sounds like a whole new set of recordings.
wario has definitely been rerecorded.

the one that will sting the most is the new waluigi voice, those are even larger shoes to fill than mario

No new info in the Japanese explanation. It's basically 1 to 1 with what we saw in the direct. However, there are some new scenes.

3D Mario's track record with unlockable characters:
-64: none
-Sunshine: none
-64 DS: Mario, Luigi, Wario
-Galaxy: Luigi
-Galaxy 2: Luigi
-3D Land: Luigi
-3D World: Rosalina
-Odyssey: none
2D Mario's track record with unlockable characters:
None.

3D Mario's track record with unlockable characters:
-64: none
-Sunshine: none
-64 DS: Mario, Luigi, Wario
-Galaxy: Luigi
-Galaxy 2: Luigi
-3D Land: Luigi
-3D World: Rosalina
-Odyssey: none
2D Mario's track record with unlockable characters:
None.
Plus the dev/producer said this is all the characters. There are no unlockables

Kind of weird to make an overview trailer with 90% of footage from the Direct almost a month later but, okay.

not everyone has watched the direct, and it's an easier for people to watch a 6 minute trailer than a 15 minute direct
Word. It’s also common in marketing to reutilize content. Why waste resources making new content when you can pull up something faster?

Well, I assume it has already been completely confirmed that in Wonder you can't pick up and throw other players? Also, is there no way for Yoshi to swallow people and spit them out?

I find that quite disappointing to be honest. I love the chaos and bullying during multiplayer.

There's also a United States version of the overview trailer:

Like with the others, there is nothing notable about it beyond condensing the Direct and featuring a different announcer. This one seems to have been directed to match the cadence of the Direct announcer, which I find pretty amusing.

The only character imo who has a shot at being an unlockable bonus is Rosalina. Like in 3D World, she'd be easier to make playable as you can repurpose the Peach and Daisy models.

Pauline has been working her way back up the slots, so I wouldn't rule her out
Pauline was not as explosive as Rosalina was. Rosalina barely missed a game after she was introduced.

Pauline’s certainly big but I honestly doubt she will be used as a playable character. Also hee design isn’t very suited to running and jumping around, if she gets in she’s going to have to be redesigned in some way. Trust me, I wear dresses. If she can run and jump in that it would be the most amazing and weirdest thing the game would have lmao.

If there's a secret character, I want it to be either Wario or DK. Rosalina in 3D World had a melee attack, so I'd love to see shoulder charge or the roll implemented into a Mario game as well.
It'd make the wait for a new DKC or Wario Land a lot easier, at least.

Keep forgetting they removed the timer. One of the best changes to the game, bar none. Timers are such an archaic design choice unless the level's gimmick is specifically themed to it. Can't wait to take in the surroundings at whatever pace I choose.

Keep forgetting they removed the timer. One of the best changes to the game, bar none. Timers are such an archaic design choice unless the level's gimmick is specifically themed to it. Can't wait to take in the surroundings at whatever pace I choose.
I think what really complements this is that we have timed challenges from many of the Wonder Flowers and we have the online race modes. So we have timer based challenges that people can choose to do, but the main levels can be as relaxed as you want them to be. Good balancing!

previews
Seems like a second batch of previews, altho there's not really anything new from last time it seems.

Previews are looking really great! Only nitpick is that this new jump sound is kind of annoying to me. Hope it won't take long to get used to it.

New NintendoLife gameplay

I dunno if Martinet's recast has made question everything, but Daisy sounds a bit different here. Could just be that it's been a decade since we last heard Mustard deliver new Daisy lines, but still.

Vocal direction seems a bit different for Peach too, slightly less squeaky?

New NintendoLife gameplay

I dunno if Martinet's recast has made question everything, but Daisy sounds a bit different here. Could just be that it's been a decade since we last heard Mustard deliver new Daisy lines, but still.

Vocal direction seems a bit different for Peach too, slightly less squeaky?
"NEW Super Mario Bros Wonder Gameplay"

cursed video title

I'm surprised the flowers repeat their lines every time you hit their trigger. That looked annoying when the person was struggling with the mechanics... and could be compounded in multiplayer.

The New Super Mario Bros series is all that's ever released during the time I've been a Nintendo fan... I wasn't around for too much before that, so NSMB is all I've ever really known from 2D Mario. As such, when Wonder was revealed, I thought it was cool but kind of "meh" since 2D Mario's always been quite boring to me (thanks to the NSMB series), but the more I see, the more excited I've gotten. Seeing more footage, previews, and positive impressions has gotten me genuinely really excited for a 2D Mario's upcoming release for the first time in my life.

I always said that I really love 3D Mario, but am not really a fan of 2D Mario. But I'm starting to wonder (heh) if that's all about to change.

The New Super Mario Bros series is all that's ever released during the time I've been a Nintendo fan... I wasn't around for too much before that, so NSMB is all I've ever really known from 2D Mario. As such, when Wonder was revealed, I thought it was cool but kind of "meh" since 2D Mario's always been quite boring to me (thanks to the NSMB series), but the more I see, the more excited I've gotten. Seeing more footage, previews, and positive impressions has gotten me genuinely really excited for a 2D Mario's upcoming release for the first time in my life.

I always said that I really love 3D Mario, but am not really a fan of 2D Mario. But I'm starting to wonder (heh) if that's all about to change.
Have you ever gone back and played the older ones? Mario 3 and Mario World at the very least? They're really good.

I miss brown daisy every time I see a mario game, if only for the sake of visual variety

It looks like she has a bit of a tan in Wonder, at least going off the renders:

SMBW_Daisy_Artwork.jpg

Doesn't seem quite as pronounced in-game, though maybe that's due to the lighting?

The sound design is my only worry at this point. The flower voices are nice, but the fact that they repeat if you pass by the flower again is incredibly annoying, and I’m not a fan of the SFX used for jumping either.

It looks like she has a bit of a tan in Wonder, at least going off the renders:

SMBW_Daisy_Artwork.jpg

Doesn't seem quite as pronounced in-game, though maybe that's due to the lighting?
This is on par with Mario's skin tone:

SMBW_Mario_Jump.png

If I'm not mistaken, Daisy's skin tone was never any darker from Mario's; her skin tone was on par around the N64 era, then she was made lighter to match Peach starting in the 2000s, and it's only recently that she was toned back to being on par with Mario.

This is on par with Mario's skin tone:

SMBW_Mario_Jump.png

If I'm not mistaken, Daisy's skin tone was never any darker from Mario's; her skin tone was on par around the N64 era, then she was made lighter to match Peach starting in the 2000s, and it's only recently that she was toned back to being on par with Mario.
Speaking of skin tone, but is it me or is Peach's skin tone more peach like? I swear in previous eras(like even during the middle of the Wii U era) her complexion was more on the pale side. Granted you not THAT pale, but still.

This is such a weird game for me, when I think of the concept and when I see the off-screen gameplay I get hyped, but every time they make a trailer for it I get de-hyped again lmfao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom