• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Pre-Release Super Mario Bros. Wonder — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what people are having a (negative) reaction to is the fact that this is still feels decidedly 2D, not 2.5D in the way DKC and the Mario 3D World Mario Maker 2 theme are.

That said, if you were expecting more "hand crafted" levels in the vein of DKC, I don't think that was ever in the cards for Mario

Looks great. I like the gameplay and aesthetic variety shown, reminds me of DKC Tropical Freeze.

You cannot be aware that you are incorrect about any given thing until someone corrects you. Think.

Anyway, I've looked it up in the dictionary: "to cause (a person) to doubt their judgment, memory, or sanity through the use of psychological manipulation"

Not particularly different from what I thought at all. Again, what are you getting at?

My immediate reaction to seeing people saying it's a brand new style was: "Wait, did we see the same thing? Am I crazy? Or are they?" Seems to fit to me. Explain yourself.
In the time it took you to write this post you could have easily looked up more than the most basic-ass definition of the term and seen how its historically been used to refer to the experience of abuse victims. Do you feel that is an appropriate use of the term in the context of you not liking the look of a video game? "Explain yourself" lmao

You cannot be aware that you are incorrect about any given thing until someone corrects you. Think.

Anyway, I've looked it up in the dictionary: "to cause (a person) to doubt their judgment, memory, or sanity through the use of psychological manipulation"

Not particularly different from what I thought at all. Again, what are you getting at?

My immediate reaction to seeing people saying it's a brand new style was: "Wait, did we see the same thing? Am I crazy? Or are they?" Seems to fit to me. Explain yourself.
people disagreeing with you is NOT psychological manipulation

people aren't arguing that your usage of the word is wrong but instead that it is glib and disrespectful

So this is the first big EPD release announced after TOTK, looking at Nintendo’s website it’s $60. Everything else in the direct I expected $60 but I thought this mightve had a chance at $70

I guess TOTK really was a super special situation.

Gonna be interesting to continue to analyze Nintendo’s pricing strategy, next one to look at will be Prime 4 to see if they view $70 as what to price their more core appealing AAA games

While they definitely touched up some aspects of the game's look, it still doesn't fully shake the nsmb aesthetic (even down to the title font), which is unfortunate for me as I was hoping it would've shaken that off by now. That said, its clear a lot of love and hard work went into the game and I'm really looking forward to trying it out. The general weirdness and oddly aural approach are fresh ground and should make for a unique experience.

this is what I wanted from Nintendo, a new imaginative mario platformer.
it's been too long, this looks gorgeous and so weird and stupid and I love it.
It feels like an evolution of the new mario style but they fixed the biggest problem of that style, it doesn't feel soulless.
The new animations, the new enemies, the way everything moves and crazy gimmicks. This is how a mario game should be, inventive and fun.

I'm absolutely flabbergasted by how good this game looks!

The 2D Mario game of my dreams.

So many new creatures and enemies and new variations of old ones. We have Koopa Troopas with pink shells, long Bullet Bills, dark expressive clouds, some kind of tiger, and on and on and on.

Just loving the variety on display here.

I love how relentlessly WEIRD it is. Like a cartoon on steroids. Lots of creativity on display already from the short segment we got. I think I'm buying Wonder day one.

I've waited about 15 years for an actual new 2D Mario adventure (Not Mario Maker) that didn't look and feel cheap and we're finally getting that. I've never been so excited for a 2D Mario as much as I am for Wonder.

Makes me very curious what that Peach game was as well as I assumed that was our new 2D Mario game during the direct lol.

I mean say what you want but they CLEARLY listened to people who complained about NSM style being too stale

Not gonna lie, i was somewhat down on 2D Mario after the New series and the Maker games (i'm just not creative enough for this).

But seeing this fever-dream of a Mario game that Nintendo came up with after some ... substance experiments ... has caught my interest big time.

So this is the first big EPD release announced after TOTK, looking at Nintendo’s website it’s $60. Everything else in the direct I expected $60 but I thought this mightve had a chance at $70

I guess TOTK really was a super special situation.

Gonna be interesting to continue to analyze Nintendo’s pricing strategy, next one to look at will be Prime 4 to see if they view $70 as what to price their more core appealing AAA games
I think Prime 4 will be $70, the longer development time due to the delay would probably benefit from a $70 price tag.

Btw, I don't think the new super mario style was something that needed to be completely cancelled, and people expecting an hand drawn style for mario should probably stop since that's something that will never happen. The problem was always how homogeneous and basic the new super mario games looked and especially how lifeless the animations were.
Well this looks like everything except basic and standard, the way everything looks like a cartoon and the little touches like mario grabbing his hat after entering a pipe and of course all the gimmicks that they showed really makes it look more like a dkc game than a new super mario game, and this is the greatest compliment I could ever give it.
We went from sequel that had a new power up has the main new feature to a series of wonderful new and crazy idea, the new powerup was shown as the cherry on top while in new super mario bros u it was front and center on the trailer.
The talking flowers are kind of too weird tough.

“We will continue to make 3D and 2D Mario games, but I want to make one that even exceeds New Super Mario Bros.” - September 8th, 2015.

Delivered.

God this looks sooo good. It's ultimately not a huge departure from the "New" style but the characters and even the levels themselves are so much more expressive than those games were. Day 1 for me

Also, while I'm happy for you Daisy fans

z1plixV.png

Btw, I don't think the new super mario style was something that needed to be completely cancelled, and people expecting an hand drawn style for mario should probably stop since that's something that will never happen. The problem was always how homogeneous and basic the new super mario games looked and especially how lifeless the animations were.
Well this looks like everything exce
pt basic and standard, the way everything looks like a cartoon and the little touches like mario grabbing his hat after entering a pipe and of course all the gimmicks that they showed really makes it look more like a dkc game than a new super mario game, and this is the greatest compliment I could ever give it.
We went from sequel that had a new power up has the main new feature to a series of wonderful new and crazy idea, the new powerup was shown as the cherry on top while in new super mario bros u it was front and center on the trailer.
The talking flowers are kind of too weird tough.
This this this.

NSMB’a problem to me was never the 3D art. Nintendo will never make a sprite based or hand drawn 2D Mario and I’ve accepted and am fine with that.

But the little changes they did make to the art style, the new more expressive animations, and the more creative level themes (this seriously is my biggest issue. Boring grassland, boring desert etc. EVERY NSMB was tiring) is exactly what the series needed

This really feels like the Metroid Dread discourse where people wanted the game more in the style of hollow knight.
But I think the 3d in 2d style of nintendo games is probably the best for this type of games.

I'll have to invert colors on my Switch display to up the trippiness scale but otherwise looks right up my alley

They fucking nailed it. I'm so happy that not only is 2D Mario back, but that they injected it with creativity in visuals and game mechanics. This is such a shot in the arm the series needed.

You can definitely go against the grain and dislike the art style. But don't compare that to psychological manipulation and emotional abuse.
I disagree that you can go against the grain. Most people here take someone disagreeing with their views personally. People are allowed to not like a game or trailer of a game.

The one time I tell people to not rush to listen to a new leaker, and then this happens.

Well, I'm happy to be wrong. This is what I was hoping for out of a new 2D Mario game. This is a game that feels truly fresh and exciting.

The animation quality and refreshed character models do a lot to sell that vibe. In NSMB, Mario and pals have very little expression work outside of level victories and death animations. But here? The characters are so lively! Beaming as they jump and hop on enemies, tensing up as they run fast or rail grind, look flabbergasted as they're bounced around. Mario pulling his hat through a pipe! Yoshi looks like he's putting serious effort into his flutter jump! So does Daisy as she pushes the pipe! At most, I wish that they pushed the expressiveness on Peach and Daisy a little more, but I still love what I see. And a lot of that same love is in the other models. Just a little more exaggerated and lively. Compare the stomping Goombrats to their simple looking down animation in NSMBU or Mario Maker 2, or the silly little hunched over look given to the Koopas to better emphasize the shells you jump on. It's a lot of small things that really add up.

The presentation in general feels like an upgrade. We have a denser and wackier world here, just a touch more...clay-like? It definitely has connections with the more "standard" look, but it's going beyond just being the same NSMB tropes again thanks to this. Even the UI looks more playful with its slight angle and more heavy use of the SMB logo font replacing usual point fonts.

The real star of the show is the Wonder Flower, though. The best thing about the strongest Mario games is that they throw idea after idea after idea at you in unique and fun challenges. From the looks of the footage and the press description, we have something that gives a reason for every level to go wacky and wild with concepts. Moving pipes. Hordes of enemies. Lights out challenges. Stretchy characters. Timed challenges. Shifting terrain. So many ways to mix up levels, so many ways to give even basic level design new life. It's a joy in motion - and the non-Wonder Flower mechanical additions, from the floating hat to the multiplayer integration with Yoshi (and maybe others will also have new moves?) to the grinding/hanging to the brand new enemies, all look interesting as well. I really want to know more about the Elephant power up (and whatever new powers are here as well - is that spiky Mario a power up too?).

This will likely be my Game of the Year. I am ecstatic.

Nintendo knew the "Mario high on shrooms" jokes were old and annoying, so they went with the LSD flowers instead.

I think it's honestly so much better that they evolved and refined the nsmb style rather than doing 2.5D style full 3D models for environments. I dislike 3D sidescrolling most of the time, very few games make that work well visually imo.

God this looks sooo good. It's ultimately not a huge departure from the "New" style but the characters and even the levels themselves are so much more expressive than those games were. Day 1 for me

z1plixV.png

Rosalina reserved for 3D entries only

Daisy is 2D

it is written and shall be LAW

I would have liked a more radical departure from NSMB but this addresses a lot of the issues I had with that artstyle, so I'm happy.

I disagree that you can go against the grain. Most people here take someone disagreeing with their views personally. People are allowed to not like a game or trailer of a game.
Okay, I can't speak for all of Famiboards but I can say that I do not take people disagreeing with my view personally and read posts that I disagree with all day every day on this site and it's fine. Notice I ain't got any beef with the people just saying "I don't like it."

But don't compare that to psychological manipulation or emotional abuse.

z1plixV.png
Hoping they don't her lock her behind game completition like in 3D World.
I want to play as her immediately.

I can feel the pain Koizumi had in this shot.

"EPD10 shipped a 2D Mario in 2019 and here they are again. We at Tokyo still need to wait a little bit longer".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom