• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Splatoon 3 — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t really mind paying 60 dollars after 5 years to play more Splatoon (maybe I’m just a sucker) but even though it all looks great and some of the new additions are cute, there’s definitely nothing particularly exciting here. The closest things to new modes besides the card battles are extremely time-limited (half of a monthly Splatfest and a new kind of salmon run “every few months”), and no new apparent hook to the single-player is especially surprising. Plus the mish-mashy, more contemporary overall aesthetic and worldbuilding is a bit less immediately appealing to me compared to the other two games.
Oh well! Still going to play it lmao

Seems to be a very iterative sequel. Which I would be okay with if this game was like 2-3 years after Splatoon 2, not 5. No new ranked modes? The only new multiplayer modes, Big Run and Tricolor Turf War, are limited time only. Will they even be playable when support ends in 2 years?

Probably my biggest issue with 2 was modes being on rotation, ranked modes and Salmon Run, and it appears that they’re still on rotation. I got cursed where every time I wanted to play a Splatoon 2 ranked match it was Clam Blitz, which I don’t like at all, so I just had to play something else. Disappointed that wasn’t changed.

I might buy into FOMO but I can’t say I was super pumped after that direct. There were a few cool announcements but as someone who put over 100 hours into both Splatoon 1 and 2 I’m whelmed.

Also not sure if announcing a paid DLC expansion a month before launch was a good move, especially since we know so little about the campaign included in the base game.

before this thread gets ultra spicy I just wanna say that the singleplayer being Octo inspired is the best thing for me in the presentation. Enjoyed the Direct. wished it would be a little bit more ambitious. Still can't wait for it.

COVID really fucked Nintendo up hm?

Is it more iterative than completely revolutionary? yes! Can people want more than that? yes!

At the same time 5 years after the previous game releasing an iterative shooter sequel is like the standard in the shooter world (hello Overwatch 2).

Look all im saying is that being dissappointed is fine, but at the same time it shouldnt have come as a big massive shocker

Even as someone largely satisfied with what we're getting, I get wishing this was more imaginative. It's what I expected to get after the announcement a year and a half ago. I'm still pumped though, in part because I have a group of friends to play with this time.

Adding exclusive items to the app, that extra mode, etc. It just feels like stuff that should be in the actual game.

EDIT: The exclusive items aren’t new, but I still don’t like it lol
If item ordering is back, you'll at least be able to order it if you see people wearing it.

I think it's time Splatoon goes F2P, they've missed the boat this time, but I suspect they'll need to do so instead of releasing the next one.
I very much doubt it, I don't know if Splatoon 3 will light the world on fire, but I'll be surprised if it doesn't sell similarly to Splatoon 2, which will be a far cry from needing to go Free to Play.

Not that I wouldn't mind that, I actually think a Free to Play model would work well for Splatoon.

I'm not claiming it's bad, let's make that clear. I expect to enjoy it.

That was also hastily written, and I don't think it expressed my thoughts well. I think there's just not much to really show. We already know what it is.
I think there was more they could have detailed if they wanted to, it's just that story mode isn't the attraction for most people. Instead of just showing the Octo Expansion-like stages in quick cuts, they could have talked about the different kinds of stages, differentiated between the (presumable) longer linear ones and the shorter challenge-like ones, and so on.

Tbh there is one aspect where it looks like story mode is dropping the ball, which is reusing the same enemies for the third game in a row. But I do think it will be meatier than the previous games.

Bro, 5 years is bonkers for such a basic, iterative sequel. They are likely holding a lot of already finished stuff back for the classic "free" updates. Which brings me to the thing I hate the most from Nintendo in the Switch era...

Ah, I see the bad takes concerning sales have arrived. Well I'm off to bed, pretty good Direct, some things I'm concerned about it but overall cautiously optimistic

Have you just awoken from a 15 year gaming coma or something?
It's rare for Nintendo to do it though. Smash Bros Ultimate was kind of alright since Sakurai made it clear these were extra. The game still had plenty going for it besides that.

Most of the times however they waited. Most of the time it felt like they were legitimate add-ons created later rather than holding back content for money (like this clearly is).

It's just a shitty practice in general.

Is it more iterative than completely revolutionary? yes! Can people want more than that? yes!

At the same time 5 years after the previous game releasing an iterative shooter sequel is like the standard in the shooter world (hello Overwatch 2).

Look all im saying is that being dissappointed is fine, but at the same time it shouldnt have come as a big massive shocker
Overwatch 2 is adding an entire new singleplayer component though. It's also not the greatest comparison since Overwatch 1 is effectively ceasing to exist after 2 is out.

bummer there is not a new mode at launch, hope to see something fresh with the first update wave in december. game looks an iterative sequel, but damn cool. can't wait to play it.

Bro, 5 years is bonkers for such a basic, iterative sequel. They are likely holding a lot of already finished stuff back for the classic "free" updates. Which brings me to the thing I hate the most from Nintendo in the Switch era...
5 years minus the time COVID stole. probably more like 4 years tbh.

I also think that Animal Crossing used up some resources from the Splatoon team.

All I got from the solo footage is that the space shuttle and desert are indeed the overworld, they didn't elaborate one bit on it...

Barely anything new besides some gimmick features and a 3 team mode that’ll probably be hell to play…

And paid DLC getting announced before launch….

Is this a joke?
Off the top of my head, these games had paid DLC announced before launch:
-Breath of the Wild
-Xenoblade 2
-Xenoblade 3
-Smash Ultimate

It's not weird anymore, whether you like it or not. At least none of these games felt incomplete without DLC, and frankly this doesn't either. I doubt the DLC is close to done.
Now - any news on Cloud Save functionality? Or has Nintendo still not figured it out yet?
IIRC this was confirmed months ago.

They have! According to the website, cloud saves for single player data, and server side storage for multiplayer data.
There was a freakout when the cloud save support listed only single-player data, but imo it was always obvious this was how it would work. Glad it's confirmed now.

Overwatch has gone through more dramatic change in its own life cycle than has been seen between Splatoons 1-3; Overwatch 2 in itself seems like it'll features modes that are a radical departure from the original.

It is. MW2 is coming 3 years after MW(2019) and already seems to be a bigger justification of a sequel that Splat 3 is.

It just highlights how Nintendo is slow to a crawl with its multiplayer titles, but the fanbase will eat this up regardless so….

The three kids on the logo and the game being called Sploon 3, makes me wonder if we'd ever get a three way battle of some kind.

Would be new and pretty funny. XD
But I guess a bit harder to make work for competitive?
Wooh I'm glad they're making this idea work after all!!

Very much looking forward to the Splatfests!

Off the top of my head, these games had paid DLC announced before launch:
-Breath of the Wild
-Xenoblade 2
-Xenoblade 3
-Smash Ultimate

It's not weird anymore, whether you like it or not. At least none of these games felt incomplete without DLC, and frankly this doesn't either. I doubt the DLC is close to done.

IIRC this was confirmed months ago.
Add Fire Emblem Three Houses, too.
But to be fair, all those games were extremely content-rich at launch. I'm not sure the same can be said about Splatoon.

Some thoughts:

• The stage list looks so good! There are still a few more stages from 1 I'd like to see return, but most of the ones confirmed are good stages. There's nothing there that I hated playing on in the previous games.
  • Splatana and the new special weapons look so fun! I love how much they're expressing the Chaos theme through gameplay.
  • While the list of returning stages is great, Clam Blitz and Tenta Missiles are sadly returning to put a slight damper on my hype.
  • I know most people expected it, but I was learning towards there not being any kind of testfire. It didn't feel as necessary compared to other games they've done this with (being a sequel on the same console), but I'm really excited to play it. Unlike wave 2 of the MK8D DLC, it'll actually be at a good time for me to play it instead of when I'm knee-deep in Xenoblade 3.
  • The discourse in this thread is going exactly how I expected it would. It's okay for people to like/dislike the games, but I'm definitely not engaging in this nonsense again.

It is. MW2 is coming 3 years after MW(2019) and already seems to be a bigger justification of a sequel that Splat 3 is.

It just highlights how Nintendo is slow to a crawl with its multiplayer titles, but the fanbase will eat this up regardless so….

Unlike Mario Kart, Smash, Animal Crossing and Pokemon, which are each one of a kind and really do not have much competition in the market, I can very much see Splatoon's popularity beginning to wane if this is all they offer between sequels

Well why aren't they making a campaign that people wont skip? Bungie were able to do that with Halo 1-3 and Reach, not sure why we'd expect any less of Nintendo.

Except your logic is flawed because the story mode campaigns in Splatoon 1 and 2 and Octo are really good and with lots of great world building and cool boss battles and stage gimmicks.

But it seems most people want to just play multiplayer.

I expected 1 or 2 new modes but still solid presentation for me. Amnjust not fan of the idols. But I don't know what some of you expected, it's Splatoon. I don't know how you want the game to look.

Except your logic is flawed because the story mode campaigns in Splatoon 1 and 2 and Octo are really good and with lots of great world building and cool boss battles and stage gimmicks.

But it seems most people want to just play multiplayer.

I've played them and they're great, but if Splatoon 3 is just more of the same, then they won't hold any hope of being all-time classic campaigns.

Can we not do this? This is utterly dismissive. It’s fine if it doesn’t grab you, but for those of us excited and look forward to this even know after the direct you are pretty much doing the “the fanbase will eat this up” nonsense.

I've played them and they're great, but if Splatoon 3 is just more of the same, then they won't hold any hope of being all-time classic campaigns.
The question is based on what im seeing is that they dont wanna make an ''All time classic campaign''. It is not within the scope of the project.
Singleplayer is reserved for paid DLC.

Look we all have opinions and we vote with our money (and social media...) If enough people clamour for it you will see bigger singleplayer modes in following games, if that is not the case i see it staying as an introduction mode for the weapons with more lore in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom