• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Splatoon 3 — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is. MW2 is coming 3 years after MW(2019) and already seems to be a bigger justification of a sequel that Splat 3 is.

It just highlights how Nintendo is slow to a crawl with its multiplayer titles, but the fanbase will eat this up regardless so….
You can drop the dismissive garbage.

The Direct reaction thread isn't any good for looking for actual discussion of the content of the Direct, so I'll just drop it here:

If anyone has the deets from Twitter or elsewhere on how "Anarchy Battle (Series)" work, please drop them here and you'll have my woomiest thanks. I was hoping the website would clear up exactly what "Win five and triumph. Lose three and you're out" means and entails, but so far no luck.

I've played them and they're great, but if Splatoon 3 is just more of the same, then they won't hold any hope of being all-time classic campaigns.
They never will because while I think they are great, but non sizable amount of people dismiss it, even reviewers, who barely even touch on them with how clever movement works in them and how dynamic the levels can be.

And from the little they have shown, seems they leaning more into the bombastic nature of Octo, which is the right move.

The question is based on what im seeing is that they dont wanna make an ''All time classic campaign''. It is not within the scope of the project.
Singleplayer is reserved for paid DLC.

Look we all have opinions and we vote with our money (and social media...) If enough people clamour for it you will see bigger singleplayer modes in following games, if that is not the case i see it staying as an introduction mode for the weapons with more lore in them.

In which case, if the single-player is a write-off, and the multiplayer (which is meant to be the main focus) features only minor gameplay changes, then the future of the series is in big trouble.

They never will because while I think they are great, but non sizable amount of people dismiss it, even reviewers, who barely even touch on them with how clever movement works in them and how dynamic the levels can be.

And from the little they have shown, seems they leaning more into the bombastic nature of Octo, which is the right move.

I really don't think I agree that reviewers just ignore the campaigns of these games.

Didn’t expect the doom and gloom and “it looks like DLC/1.5/2.5” crap to be starting already.

It must suck not being able to enjoy anything.
This has been a thing ever since the second trailer..

Dont like it? dont engage with it (but for whatever reason the negative is always louder than the positive)
Like it? Have fun :)

“The fanbase will eat it up no matter how bad the thing is”

“If you aren’t excited maybe you’re just not a fan and can’t enjoy anything.”

Name a more infamous duo.

In which case, if the single-player is a write-off, and the multiplayer (which is meant to be the main focus) features only minor gameplay changes, then the future of the series is in big trouble.
Like Pokémon doomed since 1996. You can't say anything about a game's lasting popularity now. We all have opinions, I myself can't fathom why people still play COD or FIFA every year, but they still sell and the same can happen with this game or not and we will see.

The question is based on what im seeing is that they dont wanna make an ''All time classic campaign''. It is not within the scope of the project.
Singleplayer is reserved for paid DLC.

Look we all have opinions and we vote with our money (and social media...) If enough people clamour for it you will see bigger singleplayer modes in following games, if that is not the case i see it staying as an introduction mode for the weapons with more lore in them.
I think introduction is the wrong term for them to use in the direct, even in the past two games. You’ll get introduced to various weapons and levels will often revolve on them when you first unlock them to get a feel for them, but outside of that, there is nothing beginner friendly about these campaigns after the first few stages. I’ve personally found them all the pretty tough after the first world.

Unfortunately nothing for me because I’m not big into Multiplayer. Especially if the Single Player Mode is like in 2 in length and I‘m not convinced that it will be similar to the Octo Expansion in how they introduced it. But content wise this looks solid. It seems like there will be a lot of free updates and those Paid DLC (Story?) seem to be pretty major.

xNDXlxZ.png

Deep Cut can get millions of likes in 15 minutes, but how many for our boy on sunglasses?

Great direct! I'm excited for the new music the new idols bring! I like the Japanese vibe from Shiver(or Fuuka in Japanese), and probably South or Southeast Asian from Frye(Utsuho); also, Big Man is called Mantaro in Japanese. That said, somehow I feel like lots of people are going to jump into the thread, complaining about how the direct doesn't manage to convince them to buy the game, which is fair and all, but I think no amount of new stuff they add is going change these people's opinions anyway. Team PAPER!

Last edited:
Really can't wait for the special only singleplayer stages. those were amazing in the Octo expansion. That hookshot special will lead to some mighty fine level design.

I'm rewatching it and the Friend/Lobby stuff is really good. Getting to jump in your friend's matches when you see them online rather than having to set up a lobby, especially if you don't know each other outside of the game well, is great.

Will you be able to actually play on the same team by default this time around? It always bothered me in Splatoon 2 that if I played with a friend I didnt know if we came on the same team or not.

I really don't think I agree that reviewers just ignore the campaigns of these games.

They barely touch on them, when it’s one of the highlights of the series IMO and the mechanics and fluid nature of the levels are excellent in their level design. Plus extremely creative boss battles.

I want to know little as possible about the single player campaign.

Still there is this strange narrative and demand that Nintendo always have to show everything the game includes.

Does From Software show all the bosses and areas in their trailers? Not in million years. What happened to element of surprise?

Like Pokémon doomed since 1996. You can't say anything about a game's lasting popularity now. We all have opinions, I myself can't fathom why people still play COD or FIFA every year, but they still sell and the same can happen with this game.

As I've specified before in this thread, unlike Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Smash or Pokemon, which really don't have much competition, Splatoon will really struggle to keep fans of shooters interested given the wealth of other games out there, including on the Switch itself (Fortnite, Overwatch 2).

As I've specified before in this thread, unlike Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Smash or Pokemon, which really don't have much competition, Splatoon will really struggle to keep fans of shooters interested given the wealth of other games out there, including on the Switch itself (Fortnite, Overwatch 2).
All of those games except maybe Pokémon have a ton of competition on Switch

there are a ton of racers, a ton of life sims, and these days a ton of platform fighters

The Direct reaction thread isn't any good for looking for actual discussion of the content of the Direct, so I'll just drop it here:

If anyone has the deets from Twitter or elsewhere on how "Anarchy Battle (Series)" work, please drop them here and you'll have my woomiest thanks. I was hoping the website would clear up exactly what "Win five and triumph. Lose three and you're out" means and entails, but so far no luck.
no detailed info yet apparently, but I think you can follow this thread for potential new info.

I can't shake the feeling off that some folks are still salty about Splatoon not being a singleplayer focussed IP.

you didn't need the direct to tell you that
Maybe I said it bit wrong. I enjoy Turf War, but at this point I‘ve seen it. I don‘t need a new entry for my like 1-2 hour a month I played the mode in Splatoon 2. Was just hoping for more Single Player content.

There was a freakout when the cloud save support listed only single-player data, but imo it was always obvious this was how it would work. Glad it's confirmed now.
I had the same takeaway before. Here's the actual wording, just for anyone still doubting #causeNintendo:
How save data works
Online Splatoon 3 data—like player level, ranks, items, and gear—is automatically stored in a server and connected to each player's Nintendo Account.

Since things like progress in Story Mode don't require an internet connection, they can be stored via the Save Data Cloud Backup service included in Nintendo Switch Online subscriptions.

You can also play on multiple Nintendo Switch systems if your user account is tied to your Nintendo Account.
Seems they added that last bit just to make it extra clear that it works... well, like you'd expect any game from the last decade plus to work. Silly it wasn't like this before, but at least it's here now.

Add Fire Emblem Three Houses, too.
But to be fair, all those games were extremely content-rich at launch. I'm not sure the same can be said about Splatoon.
Eh. I'd say it absolutely is, especially compared to Nintendo's other recent multiplayer focused games. And it's not like this is in place of free updates, either. Those are still here.

I'm curious what "large-scale" means, as I don't believe they ever described Octo Expansion like that.

Quoted by: LiC
Didn’t expect the doom and gloom and “it looks like DLC/1.5/2.5” crap to be starting already.

It must suck not being able to enjoy anything.
What even is this post, stop it.
Just because I (or others) wasnt impressed with this showing doesnt mean we dont enjoy things.

Maybe I said it bit wrong. I enjoy Turf War, but at this point I‘ve seen it. I don‘t need a new entry for my like 1-2 hour a month I played the mode in Splatoon 2. Was just hoping for more Single Player content.
Splatoon is a multiplayer game for people who put hundreds of hours into multiplayer

single player is a training mode, nothing more

Official Direct summary

More details on almost everything

ANARCHY BATTLES & RANKS​

In Anarchy Battles, the four modes are Splat Zones, Tower Control, Rainmaker, and Clam Blitz.

Reach level 10 or transfer save data from Splatoon 2 to get in on the most chaotic competition around.

Get in on some Anarchy Battles to earn points and raise your rank! This is the most organized anarchy we've ever seen!

Two types of Anarchy​

There are two distinct types of Anarchy Battles: Anarchy Battle (Series) and Anarchy Battle (Open). Choose whichever piques your interest.

Anarchy Battle (Series)​

In Anarchy Battle (Series), work together with a random team to get multiple wins to rake in the points.

Hey, not so fast, there! You do need to sacrifice some Rank Points (compatible with your own rank) as a fee of sorts. You'll pay up, then match up with teammates of similar ranks and skill levels.

Opposing teams are not only based on rank, but also the number of wins in the current challenge.

After battle, stick with your current team or pause the challenge and come back later.

The challenge will continue until you've won five times or lost three times. Then Rank Points will be doled out. You get more Rank Points the more you win, naturally. But getting medals is another way to get some Rank Points.

We ran the numbers, and we found that higher ranks require more points to challenge, but they provide greater point rewards.

Anarchy Battle (Open)​

Whether you are playing solo or with friends, Anarchy Battle (Open) welcomes all team configurations. Groups can be made with two to four players. If there are fewer than four players in a group, then random players will be selected to round out the squad.

Your group will be matched up with teammates with similar skill levels to the player with the fewest Rank Points in the group. You'll face an opposing team with a similar skill level to your team to keep it fair and fun.

Join the anarchy by yourself or with friends, and choose how you want to earn (and spend) points in Anarchy Battle (Series) or Anarchy Battle (Open). What's extra fresh is that each type of Anarchy Battle will have a different active mode for added variety.

Rank Points in Splatsville will increase or decrease based on wins and losses. They aren’t tied to a specific mode, so play hard and earn points while your favorites are active.

Ranks and Rank-Up Battles​

Let's put a microscope to the ranks in Splatsville.

Threshold analysis shows ranks go from C- to C, C+, B-, B, B+, A-, A, A+, S, and then S+0. Actually, the S+0 ranking can go all the way up to S+50!

Splatsville is also home to Rank-Up Battles. Conquer these milestone melees to go from different letter ranks. For example, C+ to B-. You need to put some Rank Points on the line, so Rank-Up Battles can only be done in Anarchy Battle (Series).

Battle together with players in the rank you're aspiring to, and get three wins before three losses to successfully rank up!

Losing doesn't cost you your rank—just some points and maybe some pride. Keep your chin up, though. You can keep trying when you recoup those Rank Points.

Reset Rank​

In Splatsville, once you get a rank, it won't go down as you play. However, all player ranks will go down slightly every three months for the new season.

How's this calculated? First, look at the highest rank each player has reached up to that point. In theory, a rank will drop by 2 from the highest rank the player has achieved. The S+0 to S+9 crew will drop to S, and anyone above that will revert to S+0.

Our data indicates that the method of adjusting ranks may change in future updates.

FUTURE UPDATE: X BATTLES​

Coming in a future update, X Battles will be the true testing ground for the highest-ranking players around. You’ll need to have rank S+0 or above to even attempt this feat and battle for X Power.

How X Battles work​

You’ll have to face this challenge alone—diving in with a team of friends is not allowed.

You'll be placed on teams with seven other top performers who have a similar X Power in a particular mode. The first five battles serve as an evaluation period to figure out X Power. You'll first be matched by skill level in each mode.

X Battle Regions and X Ranks​

There are two regions of X Battles: the Asia/Australia/New Zealand region and the North America/Europe region. These determine who your opponents will be, and you'll select a region during your first foray into X Battles. A recommendation will be provided, so it's a good idea to stick with that. Regions cannot be changed during the season.

For each mode in each region, the top 500 players will be honored!

X Battles and Anarchy Battles​

Finding other players for X Battles might take a little longer depending on region, time of day, and weapon loadouts. At this high level of play, teams with similar loadouts are matches.

Joining the X Battle elite doesn't mean you can't join Anarchy Battles too! Pick your flavor of anarchy based on the active modes and your own preferences.

Last edited:
Man, I'll probably feel differently with some time but I cannot get over how much I don't like the designs of the deep cut members at the moment.

Also slightly ironic since I came in with a negative post but the Splatoon direct thread is getting a little crazy with some of the takes I've seen there. I think the game for the most part look great.

see now you're getting into quality

nothing plays like Splatoon. the link between Splatoon and Fortnite is more tenuous than that between Smash Bros and Tekken

Quality was implied by my post. A statement like "no team can compete with Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga" doesn't mean that other teams do not exist. Mario Kart and Smash outcompete the others by an order of magnitude.

Good catch here.

I had the same takeaway before. Here's the actual wording, just for anyone still doubting #causeNintendo:

Seems they added that last bit just to make it extra clear that it works... well, like you'd expect any game from the last decade plus to work. Silly it wasn't like this before, but at least it's here now.
Yep. Based on the way Nintendo's cloud saves work, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't even be possible to selectively back up single-player data, so that meant the multiplayer data has to be separate (server-side).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom