• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Sonic Frontiers - Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new overview trailer, releasing November 8th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
aside from the weird glitchy jump that sends you 4 miles away, that gameplay didn't look too bad. I feel pretty good about my preorder

Knowing that the cyber and open world levels have different movement systems, I think that's fine. Level design of open world isn't impacted by this sort of stuff
From the impressions by both the journalists and the pirates it seems like Sega should have let you tweak movement values in cyberspace too...

actual on hardware gameplay!

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

It looks seriously great. Even if I didn't have to get it on Switch bc I'll be without my Xbox, I'd get it on there to support a great port. SEGA knows where their base is lol.

Last edited:
actual on hardware gameplay!

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *

It looks seriously great. Even if I didn't have to get it on Switch bc I'll be without my Xbox, I'd get it on there to support a great port. SEGA knows where their base is lol.
I'm really amazed at the quality, expected more pop-in because of the speed but it really looks great

seems like nintendo only ad for frontiers that plays on youtube

FgrjSAsWAAAkKAp

FgrjSAnX0AYXl_M

Crazy to think this game was made with such a comparatively small team to other open world titles
Not really, the open world is extremely barren. The stuff that takes a long time to develop and a large team is when you have unique or interesting content inside that open world. Quests, NPCs, multiple towns and dungeons, etc. Frontiers seems pretty devoid of that sort of content outside of a few elements

Not really, the open world is extremely barren. The stuff that takes a long time to develop and a large team is when you have unique or interesting content inside that open world. Quests, NPCs, multiple towns and dungeons, etc. Frontiers seems pretty devoid of that sort of content outside of a few elements
Well yeah of course, but still it’s a fraction of the team size and imo impressive what they pulled off. If anyone was expecting those things they were way off.

All we can hope is this game succeeds and leads to a bigger scope for the next one!

Seems like a good port from what I saw. Only thing you are missing is higher frame rate and resolution, but overall the experience looks the same(smooth frame rate from what I can see).
Foliage and other landscape details look to be pretty heavily reduced in the side-by-sides I saw. I wish it were just framerate and resolution.

Foliage and other landscape details look to be pretty heavily reduced in the side-by-sides I saw. I wish it were just framerate and resolution.

I mean yeah, it's scaled down, but for the most part the frame rate is locked. Which means outside of the obvious sacrifices, the experience is smooth.

i'm curious if the PC version will scale down to this

i was getting it on PC regardless but it'd be nice to know i can get a similar experience on the steam deck that the switch gets if i ever decide to play it there

Literally the only Sonic game I have ever played
Is Forces
And it was a awkward, messy, buggy, wonky, weird overly edgy... trip.
I admit I kinda liked it for the wrong reasons.
I know it is faaar from 'the best' and I know it is probably not good it was my first Sonic
... but it is what it is. I know enough of the series anyways.
But I will probably get this, this year. Just cuz.
Do not disappoint me, Zonk The Hoggdog.

Makes me wish that they outsourced the switch version to a different developer, who used a more stylized art style with that might be more switch friendly. Kind of like ghost busters wii compared to ghost busters ps360

Makes me wish that they outsourced the switch version to a different developer, who used a more stylized art style with that might be more switch friendly. Kind of like ghost busters wii compared to ghost busters ps360
That's... actually exactly what one of the official Sonic social media people was pitching on Twitter months ago. Asked what people would think if they had different versions made for Nintendo hardware like they were doing in the Wii days, since "the Switch struggles with 3rd party games."

Made me mad. 😅

no one is gonna spend that kind of money these days unless the returns are crazy, like Monster Hunter Rise

I wish the game had a more striking visual style overall; it looks so bland and generic, with a couple of Sonic elements like springs and rails thrown around.. If that was the case, it would be much more flexible to downscale for Switch without too much apparent compromises (without mention, hidding imperfections in every system, every instance);

That's... actually exactly what one of the official Sonic social media people was pitching on Twitter months ago. Asked what people would think if they had different versions made for Nintendo hardware like they were doing in the Wii days, since "the Switch struggles with 3rd party games."

Made me mad. 😅
I dont think it would be a bad thing. It would use an art style that still looks really nice! But is more tailored for the switch hardware. Like instead of the realistic look the other versions are going for, it uses a less texture heavy cell shaded art style or somethin!

Made me mad. 😅
Tbh we probably going get a Switch 2 Sonic exclusive in that vain lol

I dont think it would be a bad thing. It would use an art style that still looks really nice! But is more tailored for the switch hardware. Like instead of the realistic look the other versions are going for, it uses a less texture heavy cell shaded art style or somethin!
Yeah but I probably woulda liked for them to do that across all versions rather than doing something that'd reinforce the "Nintendo is cartoony for the kids, PS/XB is realistic for adults" angle. Plus as far as I'm reading, even PS4 and Xbone had to lock at 30fps and are dealing with pop-in issues so having a more stylized approach for all might've been smart anyway.

Tbh we probably going get a Switch 2 Sonic exclusive in that vain lol
As long as it's its own thing and not a consolation-prize version of a PS/XB game. Doing a Nintendo exclusive like Colors would be cool, but it'd bug me if they make a totally different Nintendo version of the main game like they did for Unleashed and Generations, which I think is what he was suggesting. Plus I tend to rebut "Switch can't handle 3rd party games" with "actually 3rd parties don't care to optimize." 😅

Final guess in score will be 72 on OC

Like I desperately want this to be an 80, but I don't know if Sonic Team can pull that anymore.

Last edited:
I wonder why there aren't any reviews up yet? This is one of the more anticipated releases of the holiday season. That is not usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom