• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Sonic Frontiers - Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new overview trailer, releasing November 8th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maronic03

Chain Chomp
Pronouns
He/Him

Apparently IGN is getting is a deep dive of the game throughout all June. I like what I'm seeing so far.

Also, give me a yeahs for my first "major announcement thread" this instant!

Okay, okay...!

I see you, Frontiers. Environs and enemies may look PSO:NG as all get out (which makes sense, considering the dev), but it's definitely the most interested I've been in the potential 3D Sonic can bring since a young Tre laid eyes on Sonic Adventure for the first time.

Sega porting Sonic Frontiers to Nintendo Switch
A10r%2B2YUyhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

7f1e8748c6ea17d0a93ec0f0f9cb91a8.jpg

I’ll just quote what I said in the other thread:
I really want to be excited for Frontiers, but I have zero faith that SEGA has actually optimized and prioritized the Switch version of the game (which will no doubt be the best-selling version, as usual with Nintendo versions of Sonic games), especially after what happened with Sonic Colors: Ultimate on Switch… =/
I’d love for SEGA to surprise me and prove me wrong, of course.

Oh wow this is gonna be the IGN First cover story all month long

Our IGN First - featuring a month of content about Sonic Frontiers - will begin tomorrow, June 1 at 9am Pacific / 12pm Eastern / 5pm UK.

they're blowing the lid off this one

I really hope there's plenty of environmental variety

I said in the General thread, but I don’t think this looks very good. The artstyle is so.. generic. And it clashes with Sonic himself. If the gameplay is there, I’m still in. I just don’t like the visuals so far.

Also, I cannot wait to see the Switch version. That’s gonna be an absolute nightmare.

Im so excited for this shit. I really hope it is a huge positive surprise to everyone. Well, except to gamespot which will give it a 6/10

Hard to tell the quality of the game just from this snippet, but it at least looks like a new direction for the series (unlike Forces, which was just a worse version of earlier games).

Excited to see more information in June.

So it's not a platformer, it's an open-world action/adventure game where you move fast. I'm down.
I imagine it'll be following the BoTW template with open world action adventure -> teleport to fine-tuned modern sonic platforming levels (shrines)

edit: actually, wasn't there a leak about that?

Sonic Cycle Phase 1 begins now

Hopefully I'm wrong and this game ends up being great, but I have zero faith in Sega/Sonic Team doing anything right. They struggle with the basics I can't imagine they'll be able to pull off a full open world Sonic game and have it not be a mess.

One of my predictions for 2022 was that kirby, pokemon arceus and frontiers were all going to get 80+ on MC/OC. Don't let me down Sega.

I still don’t understand the appeal of an open world Sonic game when open world games tend to the contrary of traditional Sonic games but we will see

When it comes to the 3D games what even is "traditional"? Besides kinda sucking. Might as well try something completely different.

I still don’t understand the appeal of an open world Sonic game when open world games tend to the contrary of traditional Sonic games but we will see
I get it in theory

Sonic is a character known for moving fast, which is always difficult to do in 3d because you have to make really big levels designed around Sonic's speed. Instead of making 10 big levels that people blast through in 30 minutes, make one MASSIVE open world with activities spread out for Sonic to run and find.

I would check out Sonic World in Sonic Jam on the Saturn. Taking that kind of concept and expanding it out to a big open world does feel like a logical way of adapting Sonic into 3d.

I've been saying that Sonic Frontiers could be like exploration stages in Sonic Adventure expanded to a full game

this new PSO2: New Genesis trailer looks siiiick
Fixed to make it what I think is a bit more true, LOL.

For me, it's because I believe it is an opportunity to go back to what I think is one (Classic) Sonic's most defining features: the physics.

After all, perhaps one of the biggest "Whoa" moments for me when I played Sonic for the first time, was being able to roll into a ball down a slope, and then be launched high into the air, and discover a whole new section of level I didn't reach on my previous life.

It's very rare that I get that same sense of wonder in a game, such that the physics alone gives me reason to want to continue messing around in a big "playground" that gives me reason to do so. Before Breath of the Wild, I'd say say the closest I'd experienced this type of thing in action was probably Mario 64.

I'd love if Sonic Frontiers was able to be the next contender for that very thing. Who knows if Sonic Team is actually up to that, but I'm definitely hoping for such!

This is it, this is THE ONE. I'm putting my soul on the line. There will be no next Sonic cycle for me.

This is the first truly great 3D Sonic game. I can feel it; I can see it. 😭

Fixed to make it what I think is a bit more true, LOL.

For me, it's because I believe it is an opportunity to go back to what I think is one (Classic) Sonic's most defining features: the physics.

After all, perhaps one of the biggest "Whoa" moments for me when I played Sonic for the first time, was being able to roll into a ball down a slope, and then be launched high into the air, and discover a whole new section of level I didn't reach on my previous life.

It's very rare that I get that same sense of wonder in a game, such that the physics alone gives me reason to want to continue messing around in a big "playground" that gives me reason to do so. Before Breath of the Wild, I'd say say the closest I'd experienced this type of thing in action was probably Mario 64.

I'd love if Sonic Frontiers was able to be the next contender for that very thing. Who knows if Sonic Team is actually up to that, but I'm definitely hoping for such!
100% agree with all this, including BotW and Mario64 being my 3D exploration milestones (and Xenoblade but that's less about the physics of traversal and more about just loving the game world)

The somber piano/violins do NOT work with Sonic lol.

That being said...oh god this looks promising so far. A free-roaming boost Sonic game that looks to fix the main design gripe I had with that style.

EDIT: yeah I wanna echo hylianhero...kinda funny how this almost looks like stock unreal footage. Very plain looking, visually.

Last edited:
Looks like the leak from way back about it being boost gameplay where you run in circles was right, but with a SEGA HIRE THIS MAN coat of paint. Almost looks like a joke from 2017 when everyone was doing their own BotW. Hopefully this can do its thing and get out of the way so we can get Forces 2.

Okay, okay...!

I see you, Frontiers. Environs and enemies may look PSO:NG as all get out (which makes sense, considering the dev), but it's definitely the most interested I've been in the potential 3D Sonic can bring since a young Tre laid eyes on Sonic Adventure for the first time.
lmao this truly does look like a PSO2 mod

again, I'm holding out for more environmental variety

I think the footage looks fine. But a weird way to reveal the first gameplay of the game. It's like they have a full Breath of the Wild style trailer and then they spliced out parts of that to make this teaser.

I think the footage looks fine. But a weird way to reveal the first gameplay of the game. It's like they have a full Breath of the Wild style trailer and then they spliced out parts of that to make this teaser.
because that's what they did, full trailer tomorrow

Damn Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis Sonic colleberation looking good.

Forces was the best 3D Sonic game since Adventure 2 and will certainly be better than this.
I am starting to admire the tenacity with which you express opinions so many find objectionable. I am serious!

Can we please have a list of your favorite games in each Nintendo franchise so I can be properly offended?

I am starting to admire the tenacity with which you express opinions so many find objectionable. I am serious!

Can we please have a list of your favorite games in each Nintendo franchise so I can be properly offended?
lmao, I'm all for an opinion against the grain but when one this off-course you gotta give some sense of backing it up or I'm going to assume you're just stroking the fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom