• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Sonic Frontiers - Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new overview trailer, releasing November 8th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuine question; what ARE Sonic fans asking for aside from an unambiguously good game?

Between Project 06 and Sonic Utopia, I know Sonic in 3D can work. I mean it worked in the early 2000’s with Adventure and Adventure 2. And conceptually this DOES have my interest…but this is supposed to release THIS YEAR? How? It doesn’t look close to finished.

Sonic Team has to be the worst dev group out there, but Sega doesn’t help because they don’t give them nearly enough time and resources. Big Red Button had the same problem with Sonic Boom. Yes the hardware was tough to develop for but Sega insisted on getting it out the door.

Chasing trends is a problem industry-wide, I agree. But if having a template means games like this get done faster and have a streamlined goal, I’m not as sour on it as long as the game is good. The problem is, nobody knows what to do with Sonic at this point aside from Tyson Heese. So I think the open-world thing was just another thing they’re throwing at the wall to see if it sticks. It won’t, much like Sonic Lost World and Sonic Boom didn’t, because they don’t give these projects nearly enough time.
Sonic Robo Blast 2 is really really good

Genuine question; what ARE Sonic fans asking for aside from an unambiguously good game?
A budget that Sega can't or won't provide, lol.

I thought Generations was a really solid title, not without issues but it's a 3D Sonic game that's genuinely good with no caveats. Supplementing the boost stages with 2D ones helped keep development reasonable. Though I'd rather the speed stages resemble the ones in SA2 if I could, the boost stages are fine but definitely too railroaded for my tastes.

But realistically Sonic Team and Sega will just stumble and spin around over and over. Don't know what else to expect at this point. The franchise is unkillable, if it could survive 06 it can survive anything.

I'd very much like a 3D Sonic game akin to this:

It looks cool, but I have the same problem as Sonic Utopia - Sonic goes so fast in the open world that I lose the sense of direction. For all I know perhaps at some point Sonic looped back and I couldn't tell.

The concepts look very good and far more Sonic-y than Frontiers, though. In the right hands, it can surely be a good game.

I once again find myself agreeing with Arlo. LOL

T9Lktk9_d.webp

I once again find myself agreeing with Arlo. LOL

T9Lktk9_d.webp
I’m watching it now, and I have to agree as well. I may be down on the game in this thread, but the concept still excites me. Like Arlo said, it’s got rough edges, but he still wants to play it. I still want to play it!

I don't necessarily think Sonic fans don't want an open world Sonic game. What I think they really mean is that they don't want Sonic haphazardly dumped into the play style of existing open world games. Sonic games have always had somewhat open levels with different paths. The fun of the first Sonic games was using your momentum to take different routes and bypass obstacles. So naturally expanding those concepts outward can be very intriguing. Imagine a world filled with different challenges, obstacles, and things to find and then using Sonic's abilities to speed through those things quickly or find creative ways to complete a challenge. Open worlds can also give the player the opportunity to choose the activities they feeling doing. The ability to explore and complete objectives at the player's pace of choosing is a major draw of open world games.

However, this gameplay video so far has strengthened peoples' concerns with the idea of an open world Sonic game. They aren't taking Sonic elements and styles and making them open world. They are putting Sonic into already existing ideas of open worlds.

Oh, oh my

I had missed the forces model discourse until now, and it's flooding my YT recommendations since I've been watching reactions to the gameplay

that uh, yeah. I don't have anything nice to say lol

I'm just a little confused at how... uh 'uncool' it is. Sonic games are all about style, and this really feels like they just plopped Sonic into BOTW Hyrule.

Yes. Each song he picked was the right song. I think his editor must be a fan, since Arlo admitted to not having played a lot of Sonic. 😅
On the other hand, that video led me to his Sonic Movie review which I could not disagree more with. I’ll spare the time of writing out why to say that I basically entirely disagree with each of his main points lol.

On the other hand, that video led me to his Sonic Movie review which I could not disagree more with. I’ll spare the time of writing out why to say that I basically entirely disagree with each of his main points lol.
I'll admit I disagree with his movie review as well.
But his response to the response he received was fantastic. I really like that muppet, even when I don't agree with him.

I haven’t seen 2, but I strongly agree with him on the Sonic movie franchise as a whole. But hey, those movies are immensely popular, people can like what they like. The fact people gave him so much shit for his opinion though sucks.

We’re gonna get another video from IGN today, focusing on the combat. I wonder if Sonic’s run around in a circle move will be used for combat?

I’m not sure if this is a good omen or a scathing indictment but as someone who has literally never liked Sonic…I thought this looked kind of good 😂

We’re gonna get another video from IGN today, focusing on the combat. I wonder if Sonic’s run around in a circle move will be used for combat?

Almost a given, seeing as there's some "slashing" animations in the first footage:

4:35 if the timestamp doesn't work

What's really off-putting about the floating grind rails is that there's nothing else up there with them. Nintendo games have shit floating in the sky all the time but they stylize those areas to make them blend in with the rest of the environment. These are just black rails in the middle of nowhere. How do you even get up to them? With pop in, it's possible that those floating railings are supposed to have other things around them just they haven't loaded in in the gameplay we have seen. If there were some floating ruins with some ancient looking grind rails, I don't think people would find that jarring.

The walking puzzle is weird because it's just a bunch of metal panels just in the middle of an open field. There's no accompanying buildings or other level elements around it. Breath of the Wild encompassed puzzles within shrines with a consistent aesthetic. Mario would have put that puzzle in some whimsical and weird environment. It's just odd. Like we are looking at place holder assets and Sonic Team is supposed to update the models sometime later in development but the game is only 6 months away at most.

I'm just a little confused at how... uh 'uncool' it is. Sonic games are all about style, and this really feels like they just plopped Sonic into BOTW Hyrule.
I wish they did, BotW Hyrule is cartoony and pretty.

It looks cool, but I have the same problem as Sonic Utopia - Sonic goes so fast in the open world that I lose the sense of direction. For all I know perhaps at some point Sonic looped back and I couldn't tell.

The concepts look very good and far more Sonic-y than Frontiers, though. In the right hands, it can surely be a good game.
That is definitely an issue in some parts, moreso in the final level that's kinda like SA2's Pyramid Cave, but the first three levels mesh much better, especially on replays. They nailed the sense of speed and incorporating the spindash AND drop dash in 3D that Sonic Team is just not down to try anymore.

Having Sonic just fall flat on his face after doing massive damage to a giant enemy is not a design decision I would have made

lol @ the giant enemy freezing for the cutscene but the bird continuing to fly and clip right through it

and that sonic just... gets hit when he takes down a leg of the boss, and falls on his face?

That was actually nauseating to watch. What is with those camera cuts where Sonic goes out of frame, the camera shutters back and he does that blue stuff. This doesn't look good at all.

Why are the enemies also these damage sponges?

Also lol that part where the IGN guys tries to use the boost pad to get up above the enemy and it just doesn't work. I mean, come on Sega. This is not the way to show your game. I appreciate how it's just raw gameplay, but the amount of glitches and control wrestling is really seen all throughout this.

That was actually nauseating to watch. What is with those camera cuts where Sonic goes out of frame, the camera shutters back and he does that blue stuff. This doesn't look good at all.

Why are the enemies also these damage sponges?

Also lol that part where the IGN guys tries to use the boost pad to get up above the enemy and it just doesn't work. I mean, come on Sega. This is not the way to show your game. I appreciate how it's just raw gameplay, but the amount of glitches and control wrestling is really seen all throughout this.
I thought it was confirmed this was the gameplay video SEGA themselves wanted to show? Like they choosed to show this, it isn't IGN fault

This genuinely looks like it might take the crown of worst Sonic game.

It's almost impressive.

So it's not just the world that looks boring, it's the enemies too.

Between this and FFXVI, devs seem really focused on making their franchises irrecognizable this year

I genuinely think the combat showed better than yesterday's puzzle video. This at least looks fun; like it takes advantage of Sonic's speed in a way that the puzzles do not.

And I really hope this music is a placeholder.

This looks so bad I don’t honestly understand how it made it past the prototype phase.

Or maybe they are selling the prototype as a full game.

I genuinely think the combat showed better than yesterday's puzzle video. This at least looks fun; like it takes advantage of Sonic's speed in a way that the puzzles do not.

And I really hope this music is a placeholder.

The piano music sounds like it's being played over the video and not coming from the game itself. When they cut to different scenes, the piano music just keeps playing without any sudden cuts or jumps. So likely, the raw gameplay recording doesn't have any music at all.

The fighting looks so janky

The enemies have no personality

Why does everything take two minutes to kill

Why does the player suck so bad

Why did they only show us three enemies types multiple times plus a boring ass boss

It’s so bad folks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom