• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Sonic Frontiers - Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new overview trailer, releasing November 8th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
(I've seriously said for years that they should do an open-world Sonic Adventure 3 where you explore a massive world looking for entrances to Zones that are the actual obstacle-course "action stages," which is honestly what Adventure 1 tried to achieve)
This is pretty close to a Frontier rumor we've had
Sonic-Rangers-1.jpg

Today trailer confirmed the "spincycle" move, btw.

The circle trail thing looked cool

Curious about the gameplay structure, let's see tomorrow

Last edited:
This sort of optimism gives me life
At the same time, I can truly admit. This could be the same sort of train wreck Sonic Boom Wii U was. It's got all of the right ingredients.

Larger open areas, more emphasis on combat, and assumably collectables as well.

And I thought Sonic Boom looked really fantastic in its opening trailers too. So I would not put your faith in me.

I still think this looks great though.

Sonic-Rangers-1.jpg

Yup!! I was giddy when that was circulating a while back.

At the same time, I can truly admit. This could be the same sort of train wreck Sonic Boom Wii U was. It's got all of the right ingredients.

Larger open areas, more emphasis on combat, and assumably collectables as well.

And I thought Sonic Boom looked really fantastic in its opening trailers too. So I would not put your faith in me.

I still think this looks great though.
Sonic fans subsist on faith and sass. I've got plenty of both. 😉

I’m excited but weary. In theory looks really cool - and I do like Sonic - but I was expecting, I don’t know, a bit more of that funky, kinda weird, more colorful Sonic game, especially with enemies.

So we shall see. Last 3D Sonic I played was Adventure 1 and 2 - which I actually love due to how good the Sonic and Shadow levels were - just didn’t enjoy playing with the “friends”.

So will keep my eye open. And hopefully it looks good and runs well on Switch. If not I’ll wait for Switch 2 haha

I know it’s been said a bunch already, but this really does look like the “Nintendo, hire this guy!!” vids complete with uncannily realistic backgrounds and wide open spaces. It also reminds me somewhat of some of the Sonic ‘06 cutscenes and (obviously) has some BOTW influence.

As a Sonic fan, I’m hoping for the best.

As a Sonic fan, I’m preparing for the worst.

Im pretty skeptical that open world Sonic can work all that well, but I did enjoy the adventure fields in SA1 so who knows…

Sonic-Rangers-1.jpg

This leak is interesting because while being on the money there's still no sign of this ghost girl. The ghostly voice we heard in the trailer was confirmed to be Amy's. Was she scrapped? I know sonic fans did not take well to elise so maybe they were fearful of that backlash again

The combat will probably be one of, if not the, most concerning thing to keep an eye. I does look like they are just spamming the homing attack on that titan. If enemies don't die in one hit, combat in Sonic games tend to feel bad.

This leak is interesting because while being on the money there's still no sign of this ghost girl. The ghostly voice we heard in the trailer was confirmed to be Amy's. Was she scrapped? I know sonic fans did not take well to elise so maybe they were fearful of that backlash again
well they barely shown off the game, so she could still be there, or could have been scrapped

Hmmmm. While I love Sonic, I've never been good at the twitch reaction platforming of the Boost games. It looks like this game is less platformer ad more action/adventure game, so I might actually bee able to play this Sonic game!

i don't get this concept at all. what is the point of this world and it being open? it's like they were given an existing open world and just put random bits of platforming here and there. it's really weird.

i don't get this concept at all. what is the point of this world and it being open? it's like they were given an existing open world and just put random bits of platforming here and there. it's really weird.
Yeah after watching the whole thing, I don’t really get it either. Sonic just doesn’t fit in this world at all.

Yeah after watching the whole thing, I don’t really get it either. Sonic just doesn’t fit in this world at all.
it's like, i can't comprehend the traditional sonic rails and bumpers and bits and bobs placed randomly in what appears to be a very organic natural world, without any structure or reason.

Kinda what Bowser's Fury did no, but just way more open?
Bowser's Fury felt natural inside the Mario Universe. This just feels super realistic with super un-realistic stuff everywhere. The gameplay looks great, but why on earth they chose this artstyle and basic landscape I have no idea.

I think the idea is to give Sonic a giant playground to the things he's known to do. As long there are still traditional linear stages in the game I'm fine with this concept.

I think I like the looks of the game well enough. It just doesn't scream "Sonic the Hedgehog" to me. A fun game is a fun game though. Honestly it seems like one of those games that I hope to be on the shorter side, similar in length to say Bowser's Fury.

this was a mess. as other folks put it, it looks like a demo level to test mechanics

no rhyme or reason to the design, just shit plopped everywhere. no sense of direction, barely any landmarks. if you took out Sonic, this would be a project on the UE Marketplace

i also don't get why they'd choose to have this as their gameplay debut. this seemed like a prototype or a leaked internal video.

Kinda what Bowser's Fury did no, but just way more open?
i feel like bowser's fury's world was more designed and... "game"y i guess. this feels like they took the world of some other open world game and placed sonic assets into it.

it's like, i can't comprehend the traditional sonic rails and bumpers and bits and bobs placed randomly in what appears to be a very organic natural world, without any structure or reason.
Again, it's Sonic Adventure. 🤣

I'm not feeling it. I agree the random platforming doesn't feel at all cohesive with the open environment. The platforming itself is that very automated rails > get bounced around by springs > mindlessly follow homing attack chains style of platforming that makes modern sonic so unappealing to me. I was on the fence about Sonic doing BotW but thought it would at least shake things up, but nope.

Having open environments full of slopey terrain seems like the perfect place to put emphasis on the old momentum and physics based platforming, but Sonic never rolls or spindashes in the whole thing.

I did notice blue coins with chao head icons on them at the beginning. Could there be something like a chao garden?

I am all for this i really love it. Long as the game is not 2 hours likfe forces i am happy
Sonic-Rangers-1.jpg

I agree its 90% correct id say. i hope we get both types of levels like this leak

This looks bizarre to me. It's like the most generic tech demo looking ass world plastered with out of place bits and pieces of actual Sonic levels. Like something you'd make to test out concepts while in development. It's extremely incoherent.

We should've seen more of a purpose of running around in the world AND a level if they're properly in this game.

Lukewarm showing imo but not terrible I think.

Sonic Team...you don't understand your position, you need to show MORE to get more people onboard to your Sonic games!!!!!!!!

I think the idea is to give Sonic a giant playground to the things he's known to do. As long there are still traditional linear stages in the game I'm fine with this concept.
According to the playtester leak from no the ago (which has so far been very accurate right down to the "spincycle" move) you'll be exploring the open world to track down and open up levels that play like Unleashed day stages. So best of both worlds.

Sonic Team are so hilarious. Honest to god they for some reason were like "let's copy BOTW" which doesn't even really make sense for Sonic in the first place but they forgot that they are one of the most untalented dev teams in the industry so it's a stiff, lifeless copy.
It legit looks like a fan project and not even because of the horrible "stock asset" visuals, the level design is just a big open field with random springs and grindrails haphazardly placed everywhere. Camera was bad and janky, motion blur was all over the place, they are so bad lol

I liked the music and the overall peaceful vibe of the world, but it doesn't really fit Sonic. I associate Sonic with fun and this was anything but. There is a distinct lack of color in the entire presentation. Even Sonic's speed bursts felt understated visually.

Also, they didn't show any combat so I wonder if the main appeal is to have Sonic run around and solve puzzles. I understand the appeal of making mini puzzles for Sonic to solve with his speed but adding the open world makes it feel structurally clunky and random. Need to see more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom