• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Pre-Release Sonic Frontiers - Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new overview trailer, releasing November 8th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been watching Shacknew's footage and the main word that kept coming back to me was "aimless". there were primary goals in the videos (collect thing to free Knuckles/Tails/Amy), but the way you collected them was a mishmash of various things like combat, puzzling, automated platforming. all of various intensities for what felt like similarly valued rewards. I can see why SomeCallMeJohnny said it felt like busywork and that the game is best played in short bursts rather than long sessions.

this was just the preview, but it was also 6 hours long and a view of 4 islands or so out of 6(?)

I've been watching Shacknew's footage and the main word that kept coming back to me was "aimless". there were primary goals in the videos (collect thing to free Knuckles/Tails/Amy), but the way you collected them was a mishmash of various things like combat, puzzling, automated platforming. all of various intensities for what felt like similarly valued rewards. I can see why SomeCallMeJohnny said it felt like busywork and that the game is best played in short bursts rather than long sessions.

this was just the preview, but it was also 6 hours long and a view of 4 islands or so out of 6(?)
All the islands kind of seem to blend together for me at least. No special gimmick or anything to separate them from what I see. So it feels like you're gonna doing the same things in each world but with a different colored ground.

Nah, the enemies and the complexity of the platforming is what makes each island different.
the most notable thing I remember from all the island videos they shown was that one island has more forced 2D segments. aside from that, there wasn't much I could remember being different beyond aesthetics

i imagine it's a lot like BOTW where you'll see cool compilations of people doing crazy things with the physics but the actual moment to moment gameplay is dull if you're not the one experiencing it and exploring the world for your own sake

i imagine it's a lot like BOTW where you'll see cool compilations of people doing crazy things with the physics but the actual moment to moment gameplay is dull if you're not the one experiencing it and exploring the world for your own sake
That's the impression I've gotten, especially with a lot of the opinions watching the game vs impressions from people who have sat down and played it.

Remember everyone: it is illegal to entertain the idea that "the review embargo ends 1 day before launch day because they're not confident" since BOTW and Super Mario Odyssey did the same only to end up with a 97 metascore.

If you don't respect this rule, I will sue you.

Remember everyone: it is illegal to entertain the idea that "the review embargo ends 1 day before launch day because they're not confident" since BOTW and Super Mario Odyssey did the same only to end up with a 97 metascore.

Man...

Remember when Nintendo games got 90+ metascores?

They're definitely confident, they updated the Sonic Team startup logo animation!

Same with Doom 2016 iirc

given what we know about its performance on current gen consoles i really wouldn't hold out hope that the switch version is especially smooth
I still don't know what to expect from it's performance on the One S. Everyone's been talking about PS4 vs PS5 vs Switch and I've seen next to nothing about Xbone. 😕

The director of Sonic Frontiers says that there is another reason for why Sonic Frontiers is considered the third generation of Sonic. You will have to play it to find out.

We don't know what to expect on any system. The game has only been demo'd on pc
But I mean, specs have dropped for PlayStation, saying it's 1080p60 on PS5, 1080p30 on PS4, and we know it's 720p30 on Switch with a lot of foliage and textures reduced. We know nothing like that about the Xbox versions.

Considering getting this on Switch over SD only cause one is more portable than the other. Still need to see more gameplay for switch version

I like the box art at least
I'm genuinely surprised the box art didn't use this image:

fgM9Aiz.jpg

Probably a bit too BotWish though 😅

So uh..

From the video interview being quoted by Nintendolife there:
From the development [team's] perspective, they're going out and making an action game. So when they think about Breath of the Wild, they see Breath of the Wild definitely as a role-playing game, and it's not similar at all to the action game that they're making.
....now I continue to remain firmly in the camp that this is not a BotWized Sonic, but is instead closer to a new Sonic Adventure. But they lost me at "BotW is not an action game, it's an RPG." 😕

I don't buy it.. from everything we've seen.. from Kocos being Koroks equivalents, and Cyberspace levels being like Shrines, this is their take on BoTW's formula.

Very clearly inspired by BOTW but they probably don't want direct comparisons to set expectations. It's not going to be a full open world and it's not going to be as massive.

I don't get BotW vibes from Sonic. it's more closer to Bowser's Fury. that said, BotW might have been an inspiration for somethings, but not from a core gameplay standpoint

I don't buy it.. from everything we've seen.. from Kocos being Koroks equivalents, and Cyberspace levels being like Shrines, this is their take on BoTW's formula.
But see I look at the Kocos as being equivalent to Chao.
Also the "roam the world and do things to unlock a linear speed stage entrance" is right out of Adventure's playbook.

The thing I will give you is that having the linear speed stages be short bursts that are mostly generically designed lines up with BotW, but it's also probably just a compromise they had to make in order to get the game out the door in sub-FFXV time.

If anything I'd say it's SA1 ideas blended with some BotW execution.

while you can almost definitely make a case either way in terms of the gameplay loop borrowing from BOTW (i personally think it's looking to be far more high intensity than BOTW's usual traversal is), the UI is very definitely pulling from a trend that BOTW may not have started but definitely popularized and that's constantly throwing me off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom