• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Sonic Frontiers - Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new overview trailer, releasing November 8th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sonic Frontiers OST name, song number, and more has been revealed, titled "Stillness and Motion" and features 150 music tracks.

We're at pretty much a month out. Curious what the next official updates will be? Publications will have their final previews before reviews, actual music uploads from the game for their Youtube, etc

dont cook the flickies wtf theyre friends
oh shit wait, is that what @frog meant???

I just saw a notification for the thread and clicked it and I saw "flickies" and went "yes" without considering the post above it!

Please don't cook the flickies!!!

kDAh2NG.png

Katie with the ominous questions

I just presume it's meat from the MH world.

If 4U and Rise allows us to assume that Sonic and Tails have visited that world at least twice, then it probably is safe to presume they've supped on the sweet, succulent meat from the likes of Aptonoth or Kestodon during their visits. Probably is a game changer compared to the processed meat they consume on a regular basis.

I’ve long held the belief that Sonic’s whole original premise of saving animals and generally having environmentalist themes (along with the fact that it’s said “the only thing Sonic hates is oppression,” which apparently doesn’t hold true for the fellow nonhuman animals that he’s supposed to be saving) is entirely thrown out by the fact that his favorite food is, for some bizarre reason, chili dogs—unless we’re to assume that those chili dogs he’s always seen eating are supposed to be plant-based. But clearly Sonic Team doesn’t give a fuck about that when they’re fine with just giving Sonic a huge slab of meat still on the bone with this Monster Hunter promotion. They could have just gone without the meat and kept everything else…

And yes, I know the reason is just the fact that the game is made by carnists, as most things in this world are, and they don’t even give a second thought to this kind of stuff, but that doesn’t make it any less disappointing.

Huh.. this time Nintendo just straight up uploaded the same trailer as SEGA did.. (of course, with no mentions of the other platforms at the end); Weird move, considering everytime we've seen Frontiers on Nintendo's social media, it's with it's Switch footage.

Huh.. this time Nintendo just straight up uploaded the same trailer as SEGA did.. (of course, with no mentions of the other platforms at the end); Weird move, considering everytime we've seen Frontiers on Nintendo's social media, it's with it's Switch footage.
it's 30fps instead of 60fps, but otherwise the same trailer

Something is.......off with Sonic's face here.
The shading under his chin is tripping me out a bit.. like, I get what they're going for but with the shape Sonic's unfurred lower face is supposed to be, it seems to be.. off-center, somehow?

plus they went kinda deep on the cleft brow there

Good preview. The part talking about the open world structure being linear is especially interesting, haven't seen anyone mention this.

This is pretty good!

The linear level aspect isn't too surprising though. The way Iizuka explained the open-ended design as "Open Zone" pretty much implied the islands are linear but in a wide area.

Those cyberspace levels are gonna bring this entire game down though I'm sure lol. I don't have it preordered on PC (because why would I do that) because despite me being excited in a Sonic Team game, I can't have blind faith.

In my opinion, I don't really share the same opinion as the reviewer. The linear format isn't a huge issue due to the fact that you can just jump off a rail at any time and go on a another path. Also I have over a 100 hours on Sonic Forces on Switch and PC combined. I can get used to cyberspace physics. It's a matter of personal preference wither you like the cyberspace physics or not.

In my opinion, I don't really share the same opinion as the reviewer. The linear format isn't a huge issue due to the fact that you can just jump off a rail at any time and go on a another path. Also I have over a 100 hours on Sonic Forces on Switch and PC combined. I can get used to cyberspace physics. It's a matter of personal preference wither you like the cyberspace physics or not.
Yeah I never viewed it as an issue myself regarding the open zone layout.

My main thing is just the cyberspace levels. I just hope they do get more interesting later on in the game.

Yeah I never viewed it as an issue myself regarding the open zone layout.

My main thing is just the cyberspace levels. I just hope they do get more interesting later on in the game.
This is a good example of a more interesting cyberspace stage.

the way they describe the cyberspace levels, they sound tacked on so they can say "traditional 3D sonic gameplay". I don't expect them to get any different than we seen

In my opinion, I don't really share the same opinion as the reviewer. The linear format isn't a huge issue due to the fact that you can just jump off a rail at any time and go on a another path.

Ah yes, my favorite: Avoiding the constant automation to play how I want.

Having these open areas, and then taking so many measures to make the player only go in one direction is counterintuitive. I don't really see the islands as wide linear design, it seems way more like two conflicting design philosophies. Not in a gamebreaking way, but as the preview said, I think it's going to deminish replayablity significantly. At least for me, I'm confident it will.

Last edited:
Mentioned it in the general Nintendo thread but Sonic Frontier is at #22 on Amazon's best selling Switch games list. Kind of shocked that it is that low. There's still several more weeks until release and it will definitely shoot up but it's behind Tears of the Kingdom, Fire Emblem Engage, Atari 50: Steel Book Edition, and of course a bunch of older Switch titles.

Mentioned it in the general Nintendo thread but Sonic Frontier is at #22 on Amazon's best selling Switch games list. Kind of shocked that it is that low. There's still several more weeks until release and it will definitely shoot up but it's behind Tears of the Kingdom, Fire Emblem Engage, Atari 50: Steel Book Edition, and of course a bunch of older Switch titles.
Sonic Team needs to prove themselves after decades of being all over the place

I don't pay close attention to review embargos for Sonic Team games anymore, but now I do wonder when they review embargo goes up? GOW Ragnarok embargo is November 3rd and according to Twitter the media is starting to get their review codes.

When do you all think we'll start getting reviews? yeah I know it'll probably leak beforehand but still lol

Given how big sonic is, its strange that this game seems like its the first one in a while to be given a signficant budget. I just bear forces this year and it seemed extremely low budget for a mainline sonic game. I think sonic unleashed may have actually looked better than forces does

sonic is kind of weird in that it's a big brand, but the games are rarely blockbusters and generally only hit the level of "modest success." there's occasional breakout titles, but for the most part the cost to produce them impacts their relative successes.

unleashed actually is the last big budget title, since it was also a showcase for the hedgehog engine back when the plan was to license it as middleware. but since interest never materialized the next titles would be progressively smaller in scope as they tried to find the next big breakout idea.

Given how big sonic is, its strange that this game seems like its the first one in a while to be given a signficant budget. I just bear forces this year and it seemed extremely low budget for a mainline sonic game. I think sonic unleashed may have actually looked better than forces does

Sonic releases for many years were focused on quantity rather than quality. Sega wanted a mainline game every two or so years with spin offs in between. I think that cadence could work in the 90s and early 2000s but obviously as games became more expensive to make, Sonic Team couldn't keep up the quality and many would say their quality wasn't even that great starting in the early 2000s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom