• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Sonic Frontiers - Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new overview trailer, releasing November 8th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weren't the classic Sonic stages the most hated in Sonic Forces? The 2D portions in Generations were ok. Haven't played Colors. The only great 2D Sonic game has been Sonic Mania. Those who just say that Sonic should just stick to 2D act like the 2D games have been critically acclaimed over the past two decades when the majority of them have been mediocre. That may be fine for download only or handheld titles. When the point of a new mainline Sonic game is when they come under scrutiny. Simply just making 2D games doesn't solve anything because the common issues that plague the Sonic Team games over the past few decades, like controls, momentum, level design, etc. persist across both their 2D and 3D games.

Why does Sonic's animation for running look so... stiff? It just doesn't look right. Really hard to shake the fan game feeling, hire this man jokes aside.

Damn it this got me to get back to playing Sonic Unleashed and now im hyped again regardless of what I’ve seen

What a difference some editing and an electric guitar makes.

Now I'm wondering if Sega's doing this extremely weird gameplay reveal deliberately to bait fans into cutting and sharing a bunch of trailers, like how they filmed Shia LaBeouf in front of green screen for that college project so it'd be easy to meme it. 👀

This sucks compared to the Sonic 06 E3 trailer. I know the game is absolutely terrible and unplayable, but Sonic 06 nailed the soundtrack.

If the somber piano is all that you'll hear during gameplay, then that's a huge minus.

The Sonic Forces switch port was alright, right? I haven’t lost hope yet in their ability to port it even if they are totally different games

Then again, pso2 got a cloud version lol

Yikes, the music.

Talk about not understanding the role a melancholic piano melody plays in the context of a game ..

I was thinking about playing just the first level of Sonic Adventure and then the first level of Sonic Adventure 2. I ended ip playing 4 levels of Sa1. I love that game still. I wonder how Frontiers stages will look like.

1 min warning

I just understand what I dislike in the combat : there’s no impact. You never hear the enemy reacting when it get hit. It’s like Sonic is hitting a sandbag or a brick wall. Or it’s like watching Tom & Jerry without Tom screaming or even showing any trace of being hurt. Also I really don’t like the way Sonic spin like a tornado in one of his finisher and the enemy is static, it doesn’t move while Sonic’s 3D model is just spinning around his head, his 3D model also static.

Is Sonic a robot ?

Here's my Hot Sonic Take: the Chao Garden works best as a complement to Sonic gameplay rather than its own thing, and a standalone Chao Garden would need to be fleshed out a lot more to be interesting.

Could it be done? Sure, but then you're designing a more full virtual pet experience, not quite the easy slam dunk of putting the Chao on mobile or whatever.

You're gonna get me to soapbox now and I apologize.

I do agree that the Chao Garden was a brilliant way to compliment the design of the adventure games, especially adventure 2. Considering the games physics engine let you fly through levels if you knew what you were doing, being invested in Chao incentivzed the player to take a more scenic route through the level. It incentivized looking for chao stuff and killing enemies they might not otherwise bother with to feed the loop. On top of that due to the games mission/a rank push it helped to keep that repetition engaging as you continued to build up your Chao.

Now if I were making an open world Sonic game, bringing back the Chao garden would be my first priority. Adding tons of chao upgrades, toys, and other gardens around the open world would be my main way of incentivizing people to explore. While it wouldn't be for everything, I think the majority would get more exited finding stuff for their Chao then finding another Korok seed. Heck considering the focus on combat, perhaps if you raise up your Chao enough maybe they could join you on the world map kinda like Feylne from Monster Hunter. Grabbing rings and other collectibles, distracting/attacking enemies, and being able to alert the player to secrets. The fact Sega didn't even consider this shows just how clueless they are.

Finally, yes a stand alone Chao game would need to be greatly expanded to work, but it obviously would. Games like Nintendogs, Seamen, Neopets, and those hamster monogatari games have shown that people will spend hours taking care of a virtual pet where the pet raising is the main focus. Heck the main toy line that clearly inspired Sonic Team for Chao and the Dreamcast vmu, Tamagotchi, are still incredibly popular with new ones released every year. Even if you wanted to do a Chao focused game that wasn't solely focused on the pet raising elements, a Chao title that focused on Chao's living their lives in an Animal Crossing or Sims style game would likely go over well with general audiences and Sonic fans as the Chao have always been fan favorites. Even ignoring their continued popularity, the Adventure games are now 20+ years old so you likely have a nostalgia market that would eat up new Chao stuff in a new Sonic game, a stand alone Chao game, or as irl merch.

The sad thing is despite all that I said, you know Sonic Team/Sega would find a way to fuck it up. They'd make the game a greedy f2p microtransaction nightmare, or the game would be really buggy and unpolished, or worse it'd be attached to a really shitty Sonic game like Frontiers and Sega would blame their inability to make a good Sonic game on the fact they spent so much time on the Chao side mode which would be the only part of the game received well by the general masses.

if the source material isn't good, the porting studio can't work too many miracles here. Frontiers could clean up by launch

but it could also not
I suppose the source game could be so janky technically it would be difficult to make a good Switch port. I also imagine this game was very much made with Switch in mind, given it's targeting current gen platforms.

I'm just imagining Switch at 30fps , with reworked geometry , lower resoultion, more pop in but otherwise looking the same. The quality of the game itself would be a separate issue.

I'm not that familiar with Sonic.

Why does he sound like a 45 year old wrestler in a Japanese fighting game

I suppose the source game could be so janky technically it would be difficult to make a good Switch port. I also imagine this game was very much made with Switch in mind, given it's targeting current gen platforms.

I'm just imagining Switch at 30fps , with reworked geometry , lower resoultion, more pop in but otherwise looking the same. The quality of the game itself would be a separate issue.
I do expect that, as they decided on switch day one. I'm just on a cynical streak because they just did so much wrong with the gameplay reveal that even the "this will be fixed before launch" stuff like frame rate is exacerbated.

there's still a whole month left of stuff to show, but if you can't get it right with 14mins of footage, it's hard to have hope

This is a fanmade game. At this point Sega should just give it to fans.

this doesn't actually look good though

it's mainly a bunch of floating platforms over bottomless pits, linked by homing attack chains. sega already DOES this

What a difference some editing and an electric guitar makes.

Now I'm wondering if Sega's doing this extremely weird gameplay reveal deliberately to bait fans into cutting and sharing a bunch of trailers, like how they filmed Shia LaBeouf in front of green screen for that college project so it'd be easy to meme it. 👀

Overall, I'm confused by the negative reaction, because as a Sonic non-enjoyer this looks like...more Sonic? It looks like the same high-speed world traversal that I've come to expect from the series. The one big exception is the music, which is absolutely jarring.

There's very little sound effects for actions and the music is only a pitter-patter of piano, which doesn't pair well with a 3D platformer. In games like Sackboy, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, and Mario Odyssey there's so many sounds and catchy tunes. With Sonic Frontiers, the gameplay footage looks like Sonic running around a library. Even in a game like BOTW, the music choice was controversial and didn't work for a lot of people.

If those demos featured a jazzed-up version of Green Hill Zone, it would at least feel like Sonic. The music makes it feel like an unlicensed game made in Dreams.

Overall, I'm confused by the negative reaction, because as a Sonic non-enjoyer this looks like...more Sonic? It looks like the same high-speed world traversal that I've come to expect from the series. The one big exception is the music, which is absolutely jarring.
it really doesn't. the previous games have this gameiness to them where all the elements like the rails and boost pads are a means to a well defined end: getting to the end of the stage. here a lot of the elements don't seem to amount to anything. you're going places but for no reason. everything just lacks context. why are you taking the rails? why are you boosting on the boost pad? as people have said, the footage so far just looks like a test environment to make sure things are working.

if there was any sort of context to the footage (things like "sonic is collecting coins scatter about to open a door" or "getting to a treasure chest after a puzzle") it I don't think the reaction would be so negative

There's very little sound effects for actions and the music is only a pitter-patter of piano, which doesn't pair well with a 3D platformer. In games like Sackboy, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, and Mario Odyssey there's so many sounds and catchy tunes. With Sonic Frontiers, the gameplay footage looks like Sonic running around a library. Even in a game like BOTW, the music choice was controversial and didn't work for a lot of people.

If those demos featured a jazzed-up version of Green Hill Zone, it would at least feel like Sonic. The music makes it feel like an unlicensed game made in Dreams.
You can put makeup on the pig and make the game look better with editing and good music, but that wouldn't fix how janky and unfun the mostly unedited gameplay looks. Even if that unedited gameplay had the actual music on it combat still looks like a slog and the open world feels very uninteresting to explore. All a well edited trailer would do is raise hopes that maybe this game won't be dogshit, which when people got hands on would probably be dashed.

The music is weird, but many are pointing out that it continues past the cuts, so it's not music from the gameplay. So there's a possibility this isn't a final track, or something. yes, copium, I know. 😅

It worked for mania lol
I think at this point people are going to have to concede that Mania is a huge outlier both in terms of how they got to make Sonic games for Sega & the quality of them compared to most other fan games.

Edit: @Mekanos alot of the animations in this game are stiff like this is the first time they’ve ever done them.

I think at this point people are going to have to concede that Mania is a huge outlier both in terms of how they got to make Sonic games for Sega & the quality of them compared to most other fan games.

Edit: @Mekanos alot of the animations in this game are stiff like this is the first time they’ve ever done them.
Oh yeah I wasn’t serious

Last edited:
The ones about the game being polished in the months before release to fix some stuff always bafles me and makes me a bit angry. If a game is a few months from release and what they show is underwhelming at best, how is it going to change in just a few months?
Exactly. Games polish stuff like graphics/UI/presentation and fix bugs in the months before launch. Not the core gameplay and movement.

While I do find stuff like this pretty funny I hope the devs at Sonic Team aren't seeing it. I'm sure they're trying their best so it'd probably be a bit shitty for them to see everyone trashing it, even if the game does look quite bad.
I don't think most of the criticism here is towards the developers themselves, more towards the management for greenlighting this whole mess to begin with. Developers can only do so much when the entire game concept is fundamentally flawed.

This is a fanmade game. At this point Sega should just give it to fans.

That forest level with Shadow looks shockingly good.

Sonic is probably the only franchise I’m in favor of letting fans develop. They’re just clearly so much better at it than Sonic Team.

I am quite torn about this.

The traversal gameplay I liked, but the combat gameplay looks a bit more unpolished and some of the baddies seem to take too many hits to kill.

The overall concept is interesting to me, but I feel like maybe they should delay it. Granted, it has 5 months or so still in the oven, but I'm not sure that's enough time to sand down all the rough edges.

There's potential here I feel, the execution just needs improvement.

this guy was positive, but i'm not convinced. the game still looks bad

nice to get confirmation of the linear stages at least

I had to skip around a bit, no time ro watch it all. But he seemed positive. Except for pop in and bugs, he liked the gameplay. I’ll have to try it myself.

this guy was positive, but i'm not convinced. the game still looks bad

nice to get confirmation of the linear stages at least
I think it's a very well done preview, for people concerned it confirmed their concerns, for people hopeful it confirmed their positive impressions.

At the end of the day I'm sure there is fun to be had in Frontiers. I imagine some of the technical issues like the pop-in and janky camera/animations will be fixed for launch, though I wouldn't be surprised if Frontiers is a game that people burn out on over the 10-20 hours it takes to finish.

I want to see these bite sized levels! I will be destroyed if they use a simple and universal art style…
I want to be excited for them, but after Forces and Colors Ultimate I don't have much faith that ST can even make good Boost gameplay/levels anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom