• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Sonic Frontiers - Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new overview trailer, releasing November 8th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Notice he said Xbox. The Switch version will be the best-selling by far Iā€™m sure, but who in their right mind would want to play that version? Aside from the lolz of course.
Itā€™s sad that 3d third party game on switch so often = avoid.

Anyway, I want to see levels, not just open hub world. The hub world was ok in sonic adventure, but the levels are awesome.

That Arlo tweet is making me feel like a fair weather fan of Sonic in comparison

I donā€™t understand why everyone is being so quick to write off Frontiers as terrible and irredeemable before weā€™ve even seen any further context for the game and its mechanics. Like, from the leaks we know thereā€™s still plenty to be seenā€”namely the more traditional boost-style cyberspace zones. Itā€™s clear that the open world areas still have more to them, too; not only is it likely that many things are being intentionally hidden from the gameplay weā€™ve seen, like the cyberspace portals, possibly more enemies, etc., but there are going to be four of these huge islands and weā€™ve presumably only seen the first of them. And some of the points of criticism can even be explained by the leaksā€”for example, the enemies look like they do because they were spawned from an AI that Eggman created that went out of control; theyā€™re not traditional Eggman robots or anything like that.

I will agree that itā€™s kind of bizarre that SEGA chose to debut the first look at the game like this, thoughā€¦ Like, I feel like their assumption must have been that people would be mostly excited at the idea of an open world Sonic game so they could hold back on revealing further context until later, perhaps thinking that the first look would be enough to catch peopleā€™s interest well enough and inspire speculation and discussion about the game world and its mechanics which theyā€™ll detail later on, but if thatā€™s the caseā€¦it obviously did not go over well like they probably expected it to, lol. Iā€™m fairly confident that people will warm up to the game more once more of the game is shown off and explained, though. Not that itā€™ll win everyone over, of course; it is a Sonic game, after all. =P

I donā€™t understand why everyone is being so quick to write off Frontiers as terrible and irredeemable before weā€™ve even seen any further context for the game and its mechanics.
Honesty the music + how Sonic is silent alone are enough to tell me this will be a near unplayable mess. It feels like Sonic has been ported into a Hire this Man meme.

It is amazing how much of a hold the Chao Garden has over people even though it's been nearly two decades since we had one in a new Sonic game.
Which is another sign that Sonic Team/Sega have no idea what the fuck their doing. Even if you don't want to include it in Sonic it should have been spun off into it's own pet raising game years ago.

Also that combat looks rough, also, what the fuck is the point of having a boss get laser gates when you automation jump OVER THE GATES?!

Honesty the music + how Sonic is silent alone are enough to tell me this will be a near unplayable mess. It feels like Sonic has been ported into a Hire this Man meme.
But we donā€™t even know if normal gameplay will sound like that. The gameplay in these videos was clearly recorded without music, spliced together, and then the music was added on top. There could be more talking thatā€™s just not present in what they decided to show, too; maybe even something like Forces where youā€™ll have other characters talking to you periodically (there is that ghost girl that the leaks mentioned, if sheā€™s still a thing).

Notice he said Xbox. The Switch version will be the best-selling by far Iā€™m sure, but who in their right mind would want to play that version? Aside from the lolz of course.
It's one of the games that's making me wonder about postlaunch Drake patches šŸ‘€

It is amazing how much of a hold the Chao Garden has over people even though it's been nearly two decades since we had one in a new Sonic game.
Part of the reason it has a hold over us is the very fact that it's been nearly two decades since the last one.
Sonic fans want what we can't have.

But we donā€™t even know if normal gameplay will sound like that. The gameplay in these videos was clearly recorded without music, spliced together, and then the music was added on top. There could be more talking thatā€™s just not present in what they decided to show, too; maybe even something like Forces where youā€™ll have other characters talking to you periodically (there is that ghost girl that the leaks mentioned, if sheā€™s still a thing).
Is that clear? It's not clear to me!

I donā€™t understand why everyone is being so quick to write off Frontiers as terrible and irredeemable before weā€™ve even seen any further context for the game and its mechanics. Like, from the leaks we know thereā€™s still plenty to be seenā€”namely the more traditional boost-style cyberspace zones. Itā€™s clear that the open world areas still have more to them, too; not only is it likely that many things are being intentionally hidden from the gameplay weā€™ve seen, like the cyberspace portals, possibly more enemies, etc., but there are going to be four of these huge islands and weā€™ve presumably only seen the first of them. And some of the points of criticism can even be explained by the leaksā€”for example, the enemies look like they do because they were spawned from an AI that Eggman created that went out of control; theyā€™re not traditional Eggman robots or anything like that.

I will agree that itā€™s kind of bizarre that SEGA chose to debut the first look at the game like this, thoughā€¦ Like, I feel like their assumption must have been that people would be mostly excited at the idea of an open world Sonic game so they could hold back on revealing further context until later, perhaps thinking that the first look would be enough to catch peopleā€™s interest well enough and inspire speculation and discussion about the game world and its mechanics which theyā€™ll detail later on, but if thatā€™s the caseā€¦it obviously did not go over well like they probably expected it to, lol. Iā€™m fairly confident that people will warm up to the game more once more of the game is shown off and explained, though. Not that itā€™ll win everyone over, of course; it is a Sonic game, after all. =P
The grand majority of people, even on this forum, aren't following the leaks. Even as someone aware of the leaks, I wasn't aware of the explanation of the robot designs or there being four islands. So we can't expect everyone to know about the details.

It's on Sega to get people excited for the game through their marketing, and they're doing a bad job. And Sega doesn't have the benefit of the doubt. The last 3D Sonic game to be received well overall was Sonic Generations, over a decade ago. They have their fans, but Lost World and Forces were received by the general public as...fine. Not bad, but just fine. So you got a game that, as presented by Sega, is kinda janky and has ill-fitting music and an off presentation, with some glimmers of interest but still with that "just fine" feeling, and without any built up good will, people go to town.

Is it entirely deserved? Perhaps not. But ultimately it's Sega who could have handled this marketing better.
Which is another sign that Sonic Team/Sega have no idea what the fuck their doing. Even if you don't want to include it in Sonic it should have been spun off into it's own pet raising game years ago.
Here's my Hot Sonic Take: the Chao Garden works best as a complement to Sonic gameplay rather than its own thing, and a standalone Chao Garden would need to be fleshed out a lot more to be interesting.

Could it be done? Sure, but then you're designing a more full virtual pet experience, not quite the easy slam dunk of putting the Chao on mobile or whatever.
Part of the reason it has a hold over us is the very fact that it's been nearly two decades since the last one.
Sonic fans want what we can't have.
Like a consistently good 3D Sonic game?

Look, it hurts me too, okay? I've been playing Sonic games since 2001 and I just want them to nail it for more than a game or two at a time.

The guy trying to play this game for the trailer

992991.jpg

Also that combat looks rough, also, what the fuck is the point of having a boss get laser gates when you automation jump OVER THE GATES?!
First thing I noticed. Was thinking it was so pointless to have them sit so low. If they were taller or at varying heights then I could see it necessitating some strategic thinking. In this, you just jump and lock on to the spike without even getting close to them.

Watch the Switch port actually be good
you mean the switch port is a different game made by a different studio that doesn't have the same elements?

we judge what we're given. and if we're given shit, why should we wait to declare it such? it's on Sega to convince use the game is good and they're doing a fairly poor job at that. if they decide to give us good media in the future then folks would change their tune. but they should have to wait for anything in the first place. best foot forward and all that

There never was a chance of this turning out to be a good video game

I really can't understand how this team still get to develop sonic games

Why, oh for god's sake why, is there no MUSIC in any of this? Like, I'm wondering how much of it is that it looks like hot garbage, and how much of it is that it looks and sounds like a test level?

Honestly at this point who is going to want to play any version.
Seriously this game hasnā€™t done anything to change my mind. At least the footage shown. They keep just throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks. Keep sonic 2d and call it a day.

I think itā€™s kind of amazing that these games always end up likeā€¦this? Like, you know there are talented developers working on this game. Why are they always managed so poorly?

Why, oh for god's sake why, is there no MUSIC in any of this? Like, I'm wondering how much of it is that it looks like hot garbage, and how much of it is that it looks and sounds like a test level?
they really thought it would work here because it worked for Zelda lmao

you mean the switch port is a different game made by a different studio that doesn't have the same elements?
haven't been following this game outside of that trailer, which isn't next gen quality, it's just a current gen tier game. So i can't see how a good port house can't make a Switch port of what they've shown so far.

I'm definitely disappointed with these first showings of the game. I'm a recent Sonic fan from the movies and I now feel more of a vested interest in his games being good and successful. I know I have lots of quality previous games to check out, but I was hoping they nailed this one and that it would be a return to form for his critical reception. I think if this is truly a recent state of the game, they may need a good amount more time in the oven. Even if there are excellent linear stages, the main selling point is the open world and it is not going to impress people in its current state. ā˜¹ļø I'm bummed to be saying this, too.

How often has the whole "they barely showed anything yet, the rest of it could be entirely different!" line of thinking ever actually panned out? Serious question.

There's a reason Sega chose this stuff to debut the game with.

haven't been following this game outside of that trailer, which isn't next gen quality, it's just a current gen tier game. So i can't see how a good port house can't make a Switch port of what they've shown so far.
if the source material isn't good, the porting studio can't work too many miracles here. Frontiers could clean up by launch

but it could also not

How often has the whole "they barely showed anything yet, the rest of it could be entirely different!" line of thinking ever actually panned out? Serious question.

My point was that we have very good reason to believe that thereā€™s more to the game than what weā€™ve seen so far given the leaks. For whatever reason, SEGA certainly appears to be holding some stuff back for now, including some pretty significant stuff like the cyberspace zones. Of course, I canā€™t say how significant of a difference further reveals will truly make in regards to the gameā€™s overall reception, but I feel like people are being too quick to judge the game too extremely given what little we know so far. Like, Iā€™m not saying people are wrong to be criticizing the gameplay that weā€™ve seen at all, but when youā€™ve got people already stating that the game is an irredeemable failure based on these few gameplay clips with no additional context provided, thatā€™s a bit much, donā€™t you think?

My point was that we have very good reason to believe that thereā€™s more to the game than what weā€™ve seen so far given the leaks. For whatever reason, SEGA certainly appears to be holding some stuff back for now, including some pretty significant stuff like the cyberspace zones. Of course, I canā€™t say how significant of a difference further reveals will truly make in regards to the gameā€™s overall reception, but I feel like people are being too quick to judge the game too extremely given what little we know so far. Like, Iā€™m not saying people are wrong to be criticizing the gameplay that weā€™ve seen at all, but when youā€™ve got people already stating that the game is an irredeemable failure based on these few gameplay clips with no additional context provided, thatā€™s a bit much, donā€™t you think?
it's hard to have faith with a history of failure and the company willingly not putting their best foot forward for the big reveal

Often, but usually for the worse.

What's wild is you can genuinely see them trying. They spent years working on this - the first leaks from focus groups were in February of 2020. Sonic in a realistic setting isn't just a BotW moment, but is the video game trying to approach the movie aesthetic at the moment of the franchise's rising popularity. The game has new ideas!

There is a world where this game is fun! But if it didn't have Sonic in it, I wouldn't even be paying attention, and because it does have Sonic in it, it feels wrong.

The problem is, if forces level design is anything to go by, in addition to the lack of polish and jank weā€™ve seen so farā€¦ I just have trouble getting my hopes up

I feel like some Nintendo games have better second showings, Mario 3D World comes to mind. But that's Nintendo. You can usually expect them to be holding things back for later and put together a quality final product. I don't think Sonic Team gets the benefit of the doubt.

I feel like some Nintendo games have better second showings, Mario 3D World comes to mind. But that's Nintendo. You can usually expect them to be holding things back for later and put together a quality final product. I don't think Sonic Team gets the benefit of the doubt.
It's not so much second showings looking better, it's the idea that "this isn't really what the game will be like" that I'm seeing. Mario 3D World's first trailer wasn't super exciting but it did a good job showcasing what you do in the game.

That's what I'm saying here, I don't see them deliberately holding back major info about the overall gameplay loop. This is what you'll do in the game. Not everything you'll do, but generally things like this.

Me who only have a Switch currently and also can't wait to see it for the shit and gigglesšŸ™ƒšŸ™ƒšŸ™ƒ

they call it the sonic cycle for a reason

My main concern right now is the story. If it's just as bad as the last few games then I'll be passing on this.

What a difference some editing and an electric guitar makes.

Now I'm wondering if Sega's doing this extremely weird gameplay reveal deliberately to bait fans into cutting and sharing a bunch of trailers, like how they filmed Shia LaBeouf in front of green screen for that college project so it'd be easy to meme it. šŸ‘€

Oof. Still not a strong showing for Frontiers. You'd think, given that this is footage from Sega themselves, they'd want to showcase gameplay from a more skilled player. I kinda get the feeling the person playing in this footage is pretty new to this game. Having a newbie play the game COULD work, if they were doing a longer showcase showing off the very beginning of the game and they were showing the player learn all the new mechanics. It doesn't work for whatever Sega is doing here. Just a baffling showcase from Sega all around so far,

Also, for those hoping for Chao....(this could be something entirely different, so don't pin all your Chao hopes on this just yet. But....)

Wait a second. Those Chao looking symbols also look like fish hooks. And that shade of purple is veeeeeery familiar. Could we be looking at a hint to the return of Big the Cat to the mainline Sonic games? Possibly as a shop vendor of some sort? Do I get to see my beautiful boys Big and Froggy again?

Last edited:
If this does bad you have to find someone else to do it. This ā€œSonic teamā€ just isnā€™t good enough. Theyā€™re not qualified to handle this IP as they fail again.Find someone else who has the pedigree to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom