• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Sonic Frontiers - Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new overview trailer, releasing November 8th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
there's a skill tree?? even worse 😱
Lol yep

I think it could work... it’ll probably be split between stats (speed, boost) and combat, like like unleashed did. As long as they keep it simple it can provide a nice sense of progression like it did there.

I'm actually kinda okay with the skill tree, sorta. Only because Sonic Adventure had skill powerups to collect. A lot of stuff like the lightspeed dash, the bounce, etc that are just there from the beginning in modern Sonic games were skills you had to find and build up in Adventure, and it worked. 🤷‍♂️

Hmm I would say unlockable items/moves could be fun as long as you have to find them. Stat boosts in a sonic game sounds horrible to me

I'm actually kinda okay with the skill tree, sorta. Only because Sonic Adventure had skill powerups to collect. A lot of stuff like the lightspeed dash, the bounce, etc that are just there from the beginning in modern Sonic games were skills you had to find and build up in Adventure, and it worked. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, it worked in SA.

It was neat unlocking skills that made replaying old levels extra interesting.

Very true - Unleashed’s Sonic Skill Tree may have been minimal, but it did break up power-ups across different level select hubs. I enjoyed that as it gave you reason to revisit areas. Though, I’m not sure how that’d translate to a more open-ended level design

I didn't see anything new in the footage, but the hands-on did something the footage hasn't done which is "tell me what the hell is going on"

The thing that I jumped out at me was "races" in the overworld. It seems small, but "make traversal fun, make the open world a giant puzzle on traversal" was a lesson that a sonic game really could learn from Breath of the Wild, and immediately injects some joy into the "sonic just running around" footage we've seen.

I'm still dubious and I hate the cut-rate botw music, but if they make the traversal fun, and these apparent "classic" Sonic sections as common and tightly designed as BotW shrines, then that will be enough for me to have a good time.

Knuckles and Tails joining you would have been fun power ups to get, even if they were “spirits” like BOTW’s abilities. Climbing could have been knuckles and some sort of revali’s gale could have been tails.

I didn't see anything new in the footage, but the hands-on did something the footage hasn't done which is "tell me what the hell is going on"

The thing that I jumped out at me was "races" in the overworld. It seems small, but "make traversal fun, make the open world a giant puzzle on traversal" was a lesson that a sonic game really could learn from Breath of the Wild, and immediately injects some joy into the "sonic just running around" footage we've seen.

I'm still dubious and I hate the cut-rate botw music, but if they make the traversal fun, and these apparent "classic" Sonic sections as common and tightly designed as BotW shrines, then that will be enough for me to have a good time.
And just maybe add a chao garden please, I know its a meme at this point but darn that would really make me happy. With online chao races with friends.

person who playtested the game: "the game is good, honest!"

sega marketing: "lets prove that idea wrong"
It's crazy! Sega is crazy, this one IGN guy liking and explaining it better is wild too. I just want to see a level and see if it looks basic like Forces or actually interesting level design like Generations.

I think a big mistake they made is not explaing the history, like we lack any context about why Sonic is doing anything, it feels just out of place

While the way they've presented it has been rather lackluster (I feel like a proper trailer would've worked better than the extended and somewhat unpolished uncut and aimless gameplay they showed instead) the overall concept and IGN's preview still have me cautiously interested in this.

I don't expect it to be a masterpiece, but if they can manage a fun 7/10 game I might grab it to fill in the gaps between games I'm hyped for. Just so long as they make sure the Switch version isn't a mess.

"We talk with Sonic Team Creative Officer Takashi Iizuka to find out the origins of Sonic Frontiers' "Open Zone" design, the split between that design and the traditional linear 3D Sonic levels"

Please show them, if I go through an entire video without seeing them I'm gonna lose my mind!

Surely the open world has to have more areas than just the xenoblade looking one, right? There’s gotta be a snowy mountain, a dense jungle, and a desert… right?

Surely the open world has to have more areas than just the xenoblade looking one, right? There’s gotta be a snowy mountain, a dense jungle, and a desert… right?
one of the leaks said there are multiple islands, which I assume will be multiple biomes

There definitely will. The fact that we even have to ask this question is just proof of how awful the games marketing is though.

Can't wait to collect 5 golden medals to improve my critical chance by 5%, that's what every game needs!

I think there is footage in that video that they want to show for SGF. Maybe SEGA decided to air a new trailer there with improved gameplay and graphics to mirror what IGN was saying about the game. Real footage, cutscenes, gameplay loop, everything.

I think there is footage in that video that they want to show for SGF. Maybe SEGA decided to air a new trailer there with improved gameplay and graphics to mirror what IGN was saying about the game. Real footage, cutscenes, gameplay loop, everything.
them rushing to record footage from a more recent build sounds very Sega, but I doubt it. the issue isn't recency of footage, it's that they aren't showing anything interesting. there's talk of traditional sonic stages, but they haven't shown that. there's goals in this open area, but they haven't shown that. there's a story, but they haven't shown that. 15 mins of footage and all of it is contextless

Katie Chrzanowski just definitively said on the Sonic livestream that there won't be a Frontiers presence at Summer Games Fest, saying Frontiers being shown in the SGF trailers was them just reusing the trailer Sega gave them for TGA last year. 😅

So Keighley had stuff in the SGF trailer that's not even officially part of SGF. That's a step up from him retweeting stuff and trying to claim it as part of his event. 🤣

I don't know if anyone has made the observation, but it feels like there's a lot of Nights: Into Dreams in this. Like they fleshed out the severely undercooked free-roaming platformer parts with the kids and turned it into an open-world platformer hub, and changed the Nights parts into mini 2D Sonic levels. Even the looping ability is ripped straight out of Nights.
Honestly, it's been kind of disheartening reading the negativity toward this on a conceptual level, because I think this is a logical and creative solution to the '3D Sonic problem', and is probably how I would've tried to solve it. The execution is another thing - can't blame people for hating that. Nothing feels like it has weight or momentum, and those are the best reasons to like the best Sonic games.

Half an hour to go! I fear that this won't have any new gameplay but if we get a boost level first look I'll be overjoyed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom