• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Sonic Frontiers - Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new overview trailer, releasing November 8th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like Generations assets. Plus the leaks said that the levels were new, they just used motifs from pervious games.
Yeah that’s what I’m excepting

Which isn’t a bad move at all. The biggest barrier with boost gameplay seems to be cost for the assets anyhow.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if these "new" levels are 100% recycled assets from Generations/Forces stitched together to make "new" levels. Considering how much Forces open world feels cheap it wouldn't surprise me the linear stages ultimately feel cheap too.

Fully agree, I never put any stock in what he says either. Just was sharing that tweet since it was also my first view of the boost levels!

but good or bad attention alike, the best move is neither
Oh yeah, of course. Also I didn't mean it to be mean that's just how I always feel about their crap lol.

I immediately knew that was Sky Sanctuary as soon as I saw it. If they're using the same stage themes as Generations, oooooooof.

I feel like there is the basis for a great idea here. I see they have a rationale for the art style but... it feels like another game with Sonic slapped on it. And yeah, the floating rails that pop in? Not a good look. I think the less on rails Sonic has, the better. I feel they're still stuck in a trap of having to have bits where they demonstrate "hey, look at Sonic go really fast and nimble!".

It seems people are enjoying the game? Maybe in the end it was just SEGA doing SEGA things with an awful marketing . While the artist vision it seems is the one from the man, if the game is fun that’s already quite better than previous games

Yay! This is literally all I want from a 3D Sonic game honestly. But wait.. something looks familiar here...?

I may regret completing Sonic Unleashed just this month lol

Tho I do think this clip is drawing hella conclusions from a blurry snip and wouldn’t mind if the levels were authentic Boost formula. Thank god it’s not a generic cyberspace theme!

Ooooooooooof. Why Sega, why? I liked Generations a lot, but still.

This game is so freaking confusing. It looks like absolute garbage, but people seem to like it.

This marketing is an absolute disaster, who's idea was it to market the game like this? Are they trying to sabotage the game?
Similar to the wait for a Direct I’m just gonna try to give it time. We waited so long to finally see this game that it’s hard to look away from this train wreck, but I’m really hopeful that the actual game underneath the piss poor marketing is solid.

Hey, maybe they cut the marketing and cgi budget to give the devs more to work with! Lol

There's even leaks about a combo counter, you can die in the overworld, different levels for objectives too. The word Sonic in my timeline is at over 100k tweets right now! :(

I'm gonna blow off some steam by playing Generations today.

We got IGN previews making the game look terrible.

We got in-person thoughts apparently being pretty good.

What...what is this marketing cycle? If the game is as good as people say this should be an easy slam dunk, and yet they're screwing it up so badly!

A few people saying "no really it's actually great" isn't really enough to make me hopeful. We saw the gameplay, the lack of momentum and janky movement already. Seeing more of the game isn't going to make up for those fundamentals being lacking. Early build can only go so far, it's not going to fix the foundation being bad.

We got IGN previews making the game look terrible.

We got in-person thoughts apparently being pretty good.

What...what is this marketing cycle? If the game is as good as people say this should be an easy slam dunk, and yet they're screwing it up so badly!
My expectations were through the floor but I was open-minded because an open world with Nights-like 2D sections that take place inside that seemed like a sensible way to go for 3D Sonic to this old head. What I've seen looked janky but I could see the potential and I liked a lot of the specific ideas. The hands-on impressions just seemed to mirror what I saw - a reason for guarded optimism. At the risk of sounding dismissive, this seems like a case of 'the Sonic fandom is split, burned by experience, and don't even know what they want' issue to me, and not much of a reflection on the gameplay presented.
I hope Sonic Team listens to comments on the weight/momentum and pop-in - that's a persistent criticism that seems valid - but it's such a fundamental, key part that you'd have hoped it would be the first thing they got right, and all the levels would need to be designed around that, so I don't see too much hope there.

The bottom icon looks like a shield and the right one looks like a sword. Are these stats? Is Sonic an RPG now?

fast-and-furious-roman-pearce.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom