• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Sonic Frontiers - Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new overview trailer, releasing November 8th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if there are any other longtime MegaTokyo fans in here but whether you get the reference or not, this is hilarious:

If Sega didn't want non-attendees to see and record footage, then why didn't they curtain off their game stations like what used to be done at E3?

You know what, I am not even sure why I'm bothering asking. It's Sega. That's the answer to my question.

I'm actually sorta impressed with how SEGA has actually managed to recreate pretty much exactly what it was like to try and decipher blurry images and out of focus moments in the background of unrelated video clips from gaming conventions online in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Like, this experience is bringing me right back to Spaceworld 2000 when folks were trying desperately to figure out whatever they could about Smash Bros. Melee from blurry ten second clips of the showfloor.

"You can actually play as Zelda in addition to Sheik!!!" "No way, where are you seeing this?!" "Everyone look in the background left of this video, is that a 3D model of Dixie Kong!? o.o" "Someone said they might have saw a SMRPG stage but they aren't sure..."

This is not the sort of nostalgia trip I was expecting from this particular sonic game... SEGA is on a whole nother level with this lol

Here's to the next big Sonic game only getting prerelease coverage in print magazines! :p

I'm actually sorta impressed with how SEGA has actually managed to recreate pretty much exactly what it was like to try and decipher blurry images and out of focus moments in the background of unrelated video clips from gaming conventions online in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Like, this experience is bringing me right back to Spaceworld 2000 when folks were trying desperately to figure out whatever they could about Smash Bros. Melee from blurry ten second clips of the showfloor.

"You can actually play as Zelda in addition to Sheik!!!" "No way, where are you seeing this?!" "Everyone look in the background left of this video, is that a 3D model of Dixie Kong!? o.o" "Someone said they might have saw a SMRPG stage but they aren't sure..."

This is not the sort of nostalgia trip I was expecting from this particular sonic game... SEGA is on a whole nother level with this lol

Here's to the next big Sonic game only getting prerelease coverage in print magazines! :p
I mean, the late 90s/early 2000s was when Sega was at their raddest, so it's actually fun to think they're deliberately trying to bring that back. 🤣

Though some people in the twitter comments are pointing out that nobody's supposed to be filming anything at the event (not just Sonic), which I do remember reading before all this. So if I point a finger at anyone for this clusterfuck it's, yup, you guessed it: Geoff Keighley.

I think I find out Sega's strategy : They're trying to replicate the Sonic the movie situation by showing us an absolutely terrible game, then at the end of the month they'll show a better build with finally good environments and levels

I think I find out Sega's strategy : They're trying to replicate the Sonic the movie situation by showing us an absolutely terrible game and then at the end of the month they'll show a better build with finally good environments and levels
as much as people like to joke about, those vfx artists got hella fucked over

as much as people like to joke about, those vfx artists got hella fucked over
oh yeah absolutely, what happened was horrible for all the artists who had to work overtime to fix this and in the end they lost their jobs and Sega and Paramount made a lot of money off their backs

This is such a wholesome view on the situation, I appreciate you

I have a theory, there are rumors about a direct at the end of June, and rumors about new gameplay, aka, cyberspace levels being shown. Maybe new trailer for the switch version at the Direct with release date. This not e3 has been completely unpredictable after all. I enjoy the chaos.

What if Sonic Frontiers is the new title for the Switch 2/UP/Pro and that is why they are waiting to show it off. It lines up with what Nate said about games being planned for late 2022.

What if Sonic Frontiers is the new title for the Switch 2/UP/Pro and that is why they are waiting to show it off. It lines up with what Nate said about games being planned for late 2022.
I would say that is a big mistake as they are already playing catch-up with their earlier missteps on marketing this game.

I REALLY want to see Switch footage please Sega
They omitted Switch footage of Sonic Colors Ultimate, a low-budget Wii port that had no reason to be bad on Switch hardware.. Do you really think they'll show Frontiers at all before launch? (Heck, I don't think they'll be sharing footage of any other version besides PC/PS5) At max, we'll have to be content with a couple of screenshots once the eShop page goes up for pre-order;.. reviewers probably won't even be getting a code for that version;

It was all the same for Forces and Team Sonic Racing too...

And guess what? Frontiers still will sell the best on Nintendo..

The media rollout for this game continues to baffle, but I'm erring on the side of cautiously optimistic right now. I personally don't need the greatest Sonic game ever from Frontiers, I just need an interesting game that plays at least well enough.

The media rollout for this game continues to baffle, but I'm erring on the side of cautiously optimistic right now. I personally don't need the greatest Sonic game ever from Frontiers, I just need an interesting game that plays at least well enough.
Same here, and I think we’re gonna get it. I think we can pretty well say we’re avoiding an embarrassment of game design like Sonic Forces

I really want this to be good, Forces wasn't very good, and I really hope that The Sonic Team really hiked up their booties and got this right

However, the gameplay I've seen suggested otherwise. If this ends up bad, I wonder if this will kill off the 3D Sonic Games for awhile.

I really want this to be good, Forces wasn't very good, and I really hope that The Sonic Team really hiked up their booties and got this right

However, the gameplay I've seen suggested otherwise. If this ends up bad, I wonder if this will kill off the 3D Sonic Games for awhile.
Sonic is the only franchise SEGA Japan has that can sell more than 1M outside of Asia, they will keep pushing for 3D Sonic games (they tend to sell more than pure 2D) even if this game has bad scores

Easy Allies posted a hands-on video.

An embargo’s up today?

Okay basically done watching it. Ben actually seemed to really like it. And the footage in this preview looks a LOT cleaner.

Last edited:
Easy Allies points that stuck out to me
  • Hearts are restoring Amy’s memories
  • They were in a funneled tutorial area
  • There is more they can’t yet talk about
  • high speed vs action mode selection for controls
  • no short stage impression

Amazing that all of IGN's footage looks considerably worse than these previews.

Here's another one:

edit: No this isn't Switch footage despite Nintendo Everything.

Oh I'm just realizing all of these impressions are using the same B-roll footage.

At least it does still look a bit nicer. Still some weird animations here and there but hopefully they get ironed out by release. I'm become cautiously optimistic again.

Here's another one:

fishing?!

dcgkepy-1a2c5da5-cbef-400b-b33b-81bf4280da2f.png

Oh I'm just realizing all of these impressions are using the same B-roll footage.

At least it does still look a bit nicer. Still some weird animations here and there but hopefully they get ironed out by release. I'm become cautiously optimistic again.
seems to be one of multiple embargoes as well, so I imagine we'll get IGN reveals of next components (eg. action stages) and then embargo lift for others with further b-roll

seems to be one of multiple embargoes as well, so I imagine we'll get IGN reveals of next components (eg. action stages) and then embargo lift for others with further b-roll
Yup! That sounds about right. I hope we see an actual level within a week.

Here's another one:

"There is even fishing apparently"
Finally, the welcome return of Big the Cat🐱
Unsurprised by the positive impressions, game looked strong at the basic level, but I'm still cautious - I can see things like glitches/bugs as well as the overall game structure and progression systems/collectibles being the issues, and they're not going to reveal themselves in the demo area.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom