• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Sonic Frontiers - Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new overview trailer, releasing November 8th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
it makes for good sizzle reel footage but this is very much in the vein of "hire this man" when it comes to actually showcasing the content

goddamn

XdLVLWq.png

It appears that most (if not all) Nintendo websites got the key too late for a review, as reported by Nintendo Life

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

7/10 seems about right to me

Aside of my apathy since pretty much the very first tease, I'm absorbing every leaked content and I thought the scores would be on that range.

I said 72, that's pretty damn close so far

I'm happy, my favourite Sonic, Unleashed, is a 60, so I'm sure I'll love it.

This game should be better than a 7/10... Diehard Sonic fans will be happy but this disappoints me
Wasn't this game delayed a year to avoid this 7/10 outcome? My questions are

How bad would this game have been if it came out last year as planned?

And

Considering the game runs so poorly even on current gen hardware, and the game has tons of recycles content from old Sonic games, what the heck did that year of development go towards?

Looks like only PS5 review codes were given out early enough for the deadline? Sucks a bit, SEGA. You shouldn't hide other platforms reviews like that even if you might not like what they write.

IGNs review seems spot on and very fair. Not a masterpiece by any means, but the most promising step forward this series has had in a long time. Can't wait.

Legends Arceus continues to be the perfect comparison for how I feel about this. Flawed, but I'm so excited by what it does bring that I'm okay with that.

EDIT: I do wish there was more customization (costumes)

Last edited:
They said they were aiming for higher scores; and this is the first 60 dollar game in the series since Unleashed .. even though it really shouldn't... Avoiding mentioning spoilers, but this game feels it was just as in the lower budget side as previous entries; maybe just not as low as Forces, of course

They just thought they could get away with that price due of the amount of playtime

I'm kind of surprised it's reviewing as low as it is. It's at 73 on metacritic now which is not bad but I expected more.
At least it's better than sonic forces but every game is better than that.

It's sad that Sonic has reached a point that a low 7 average is considered a "success" because it's not a 5-6 average. Sonic should be way better then this, Sonic Team is maybe the worst development studio on the planet.
I've never seen a 7 as anything but good, so I'm sorry that 7 isn't a good enough of standard.

I'm hoping this is a step.forward for them, cause well they need it. I'm not defending sonic team by any means, forces is awful, and I've heard negative things about Lost world, but this could be the step they need to take, and hopefully grow upon.

I'm not a big Sonic fan so I can't say I care too much about how good or bad this ends up actually being but it would be nice for Sonic to one day actually rival 3D Mario in review scores and be an overwhelming success.

and yet reviewers can't do it
I'm sure they did its one of the most basic parts of the game, and looking at the footage some of those jumps are probably unintentional because hitting a slight ledge and not hitting the jump button occasionally launches you into the air

It's sad that Sonic has reached a point that a low 7 average is considered a "success" because it's not a 5-6 average. Sonic should be way better then this, Sonic Team is maybe the worst development studio on the planet.
Expecting more knowing the constraints of the dev team was a fools errand / uninformed. Fans are excited because this can turn over a new leaf for the series.

I'm sure they did its one of the most basic parts of the game, and looking at the footage some of those jumps are probably unintentional because hitting a slight ledge and not hitting the jump button occasionally launches you into the air
yeah, you can see some moments in the clip I posted where the player missed some opportunities, like when they awkwardly fell off that wall instead of running on it

I do think this game has potential that's been overlooked

Expecting more knowing the constraints of the dev team was a fools errand / misinformed. Fans are excited because this can turn over a new leaf for the series.
I bought Sonic Forces and Lost World day 1, I really enjoyed Colors and Generations, and I will die on the hill that the Adventure games are great. I'm frustrated because after a year delay, all we've managed to do is avoid another Forces/06/Boom level disaster. I'm sorry if I'm just very frustrated at this lowered expectation I'm expected to happily swallow as a Sonic fan.

I'm expected to happily swallow as a Sonic fan.
Not at all! I shouldn't have categorized my opinion as "Fans", pre-coffee mistake. I meant myself and some other fans I've seen. In the end we all want the same thing, continued improvement and a return to glory for this series!

EDIT: this is an unfortunate quote I am sorry

Has 3D Sonic ever been in the 80s? Even Generations got a 77.
Generations was similarly a moment of "hey there's potential here!" but the game itself wasn't full enough to get solid scores

Feels like a demo for a promise never fulfilled lmao, as much as I love returning to it.

Not at all! I shouldn't have categorized my opinion as "Fans", pre-coffee mistake. I meant myself and some other fans I've seen. In the end we all want the same thing, continued improvement and a return to glory for this series!

EDIT: this is an unfortunate quote I am sorry
Totofogo this isn't that kinda forum

uwu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom