• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Princess Peach: Showtime! — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole thing surrounding this game is beyond weird, like what the fuck:
  • Barely shown off, just twice
  • Name wasn't even decided on yet in the first reveal
  • No word on the dev team (only reason it's still a mystery is because it's a whole new kind of game)
  • Barely any advertising
  • The "controversial" movie-ish Peach change to the box art
  • No further word since then
  • Demo was supposed to be at an event that got cancelled (thanks a lot, assholes who made those threats)
Like, can this scream Switch twilight year leftover any harder?
Literally everything besides the 5th and last point applies to a lot of games on the Switch. Marketing usually ramps up 6-8 weeks before release

Anyway, I'm confident that EPD Tokyo is the one developing this game. Lots of little things here and there that give off Odyssey/3D Mario vibes, plus those guys haven't released a single thing since 2017. Every other EPD group has released at least two games during the Switch era. Princess peach showtime could be their "experimental" game the same way Captain Toad was back in 2014. I hope this game IS developed by them because it means it'll be a great game. The next 3D Mario is also in development obviously and is probably even near completion at this point

I also think some of the music we've heard so far, specifically the one that plays first in the trailer, give off Yokota (Galaxy composer) vibes, but I'm probably just coping. Please bring the GOAT back. He hasn't composed anything since 3D World/Captain Toad and he was one of the best composers at Nintendo.

Last edited:
Am I alone in still not really having a sense of the gameplay loop?

Like, the ninja and swordfighter stuff look pretty straightforwardly platform-y, but the pastry one just looks like a minigame to me and I'm not sure how the Sherlock Holmes outfit translates into gameplay

I'm dying for a demo because this feels like something you need to play to really grok

Last edited:
Am I alone in still not really having a semse of the gameplay loop?

Like, the ninja and swordfighter stuff look pretty straightforwardly platform-y, but the pastry one just looks like a minigame to me and I'm not sure how the Sherlock Holmes outfit translates into gameplay

I'm dying for a demo because this feels like something you need to play to really grok
I’m surprised the depth of this game isn’t getting more questioning. So far some stuff looks shallow, but of course we know Nintendo isn’t showing everything.

This honestly is giving small game vibes. It looks like stages are pre-designed with a respective power-up in mind, but again, this is a veeery early impression. Maybe the demo changes that, maybe the full game. Who knows.

But yeah, nothing bad if it ends up being a small game

The game looks good but the super short clips of every costume are not doing it any favors, every time the gameplay starts to look interesting they stop showing it and focus on a new costume, it really needs an overview trailer and a demo to show how the game actually plays. I don’t know if this types of trailer works for a new ip.

I love the outfits, and I think the soundtrack is shaping up very nicely.

Do wanna see more though. This very much feels like a trailer that would have supplemented a demo at that Nintendo Live event before it was cancelled.

The February Direct should have something more meaty.

Looks good! Ninja and Cowboy are cool additions. Wish segments weren’t so quick, though.

Seems Samantha Kelly is being given more range for her Peach voice, she sounds very different for most the trailer outside of a few moments.

I love outfits
I love pink
I like Peach
I don't love these shallow gameplay clips

Really hoping there's more than meets the eye.

I love how it looks! It's sad they're showing so little of it though. Just very small snippets, every time they show it.
Plus, i feel like the framerate on these feel a bit rough? Which seems funny to me, as there usually isn't a whole lot going on the screen. I do think these might be smoothed out til release though.

Japanese website is up and the Transformations page has more footage of each setpiece / costume / gameplay; from what I see, it’s not hugely engrossing but I think it'll still carry enough gameplay at least within each set (agree that things do seem more like an omnibus rather than focusing on a core moveset with set specific additions).

The official site is up. Will comment later with any findings. Part of the site still seems to be inaccessible for now.

The US site is still not properly available, but I did notice the following seems new:

Customize the difficulty, and your look, to make the play your own

Equip the Heart Charm to give Peach a few extra hearts. If you’re looking for more of a challenge, try going without it.

This honestly is giving small game vibes. It looks like stages are pre-designed with a respective power-up in mind, but again, this is a veeery early impression. Maybe the demo changes that, maybe the full game. Who knows.

But yeah, nothing bad if it ends up being a small game
Yeah, definitely get the vibe that this is a bit of a smaller scale game, not budget per se, but closer to a Luigi’s mansion than a Mario odyssey. Man, I’d love a fully open peach 3d platformer though

The US site is still not properly available, but I did notice the following seems new:

Not sure how hearts play into the non combat oriented sets (Detective and Patissiere at this stage) at first glance unless it’s a failure safety net for those.

For the combat sets, it does feel like they emphasise a core focus (with Ninja being stealth one hit attacks, and Cowgirl with the lasso), but the appearance of the scene where Ninja rides a wave and Cowgirl chases a Sour Bunch member on horseback does make me hope Swordfighter and Kung Fu have something equivalently lateral to their core combat of rapier and kicks respectively.

feels like this will review in the 7s range. high 7s or low 7s will be a big question, but the lack of any in depth gameplay really makes me lean towards low 7s

Definitely continues to remind me of something like a Luigi’s Mansion 3… contained, themed environments with their own little gameplay quirks and set pieces. Slower moment-to-moment gameplay. Which is not bad! I like LM3 for the most part. We’ll have to wait and see. At the very least, I am curious enough that I will pick it up.

Not sure why people expected this to be more than an easy breezy title. From the start this looked like it's targeting a casual/younger audience or people looking for a chill experience.
It’s less surprise, and more disappointment. That on the very rare occasions they give a character like Peach the spotlight, to more actively target a female audience with a game starring a classic female character, it also gets coupled with being targeted more at young kids, rather than all-ages, the way a mainline Mario game is.

It’s very similar to how Disney stuff has gone in modern video games. When I was a kid, I loved that I could have a high-quality Little Mermaid game on the NES, to stand alongside things like Rescue Rangers.

But then in the modern day, if you watch a modern Disney animated musical and wish you could play a great game based on it, you’re out of luck, because all that stuff based on “girly” properties is targeted at 6-year-olds. We’re never going to see something like Moana receive the same treatment in video games that Spider-Man or Star Wars get.

That’s been an ongoing frustration for most of my life playing video games. I wish I had a Peach game on the level of Odyssey. I’m not saying don’t also make this game, but this is only the second Peach game they’ve ever made, and both of them skew younger than games starring Mario tend to.

Yeah, Peach never being playable in Odyssey and Zelda never being playable in TotK were pretty big letdowns as I prefer to play as women in games, would prefer PPS have deeper mechanics but oh well.

Glad Peach has the same physics as Mario in Wonder as it was irritating having to play easy mode in prior 2D Marios if you wanted to play as a girl.

Not sure how many new franchises Nintendo will make starring women in the future as a lot of their new games have avatar characters where you can choose between masc and femme body types (which is good but just... It would be nice to have another female-led franchise not aimed at kids other than Metroid)

The game does look fun and I AM excited to play it, but... I am unsure if I like this recent 'trend' of Mario games where the entire gameplay changes completely in small sections only to be replaced with something new.

Odyssey is amazing and it KINDA does that. But with Mario Wonder, honestly, I was a bit disappointed with the Wonder Effects. Many are super cool by themselves but constantly going 'normal start of level, DRUGS' normal end of level' on every Stage just made the game feel really unfocused to me. I would honestly have preferred it if the game did not have the Wonder effect gimmick and just regulated some of them into full-levels.
Like, let me turn into Slime Mario at the start of a level and Remain so for the entire level.

I get the same worries about Princess Peach Showtime, where it will probably feel really unfocused. I am sure it will still be fun, Mario Wonder was really fun. But...
I'd prefer if the game gimmick was something like FLUDD or Poltergust. A main thing that you add to and develop throughout the game.

It’s less surprise, and more disappointment. That on the very rare occasions they give a character like Peach the spotlight, to more actively target a female audience with a game starring a classic female character, it also gets coupled with being targeted more at young kids, rather than all-ages, the way a mainline Mario game is.

It’s very similar to how Disney stuff has gone in modern video games. When I was a kid, I loved that I could have a high-quality Little Mermaid game on the NES, to stand alongside things like Rescue Rangers.

But then in the modern day, if you watch a modern Disney animated musical and wish you could play a great game based on it, you’re out of luck, because all that stuff based on “girly” properties is targeted at 6-year-olds. We’re never going to see something like Moana receive the same treatment in video games that Spider-Man or Star Wars get.

That’s been an ongoing frustration for most of my life playing video games. I wish I had a Peach game on the level of Odyssey. I’m not saying don’t also make this game, but this is only the second Peach game they’ve ever made, and both of them skew younger than games starring Mario tend to.
That's fair but ultimately just the direction they picked for this particular title based on their target audience. I don't see why this can't also be a high-quality title just because it doesn't have some perceived depth. As for more complex stuff, Metroid and Bayonetta as the female-led franchises they've championed are squarely aimed at older audiences, with Bayonetta Origins skewing a little younger.

I mean, Mario is aimed at kids to but is more expansive and has some depth to it. don't ask for less from childrens games. it's insulting to them too
Kirby is also aimed at kids and pretty shallow and nobody loses sleep over it.

Oh my god I’m so relieved it looks like the Illumination Peach look from the boxart didn’t bleed into the actual game itself.

That's fair but ultimately just the direction they picked for this particular title based on their target audience. I don't see why this can't also be a high-quality title just because it doesn't have some perceived depth. As for more complex stuff, Metroid and Bayonetta as the female-led franchises they've championed are squarely aimed at older audiences, with Bayonetta Origins skewing a little younger.

Kirby is also aimed at kids and pretty shallow and nobody loses sleep over it.
I lose sleep over Kirby.

Checkmate.

Granted it’s because of that disturbing Kirby’s feet meme. But still

My uneducated guess is like 40% chance it's Next Level, 40% Good-Feel, 10% EPD, and 10% "never heard of 'em"
TOSE is definitely a bigger contender than both NLG and GoodFeel, but I wouldn't count out someone previously worked with Nintendo before: Dimps, Ganbarion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom