• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Princess Peach: Showtime! — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barbie Movie + Mario Movie hype = Princess Peach Swhotime 10mil LT sales coming!
I know you're partly kidding( (I think xD), but I can honestly see Pircess Peach Showtime comfortably reaching 5 million units.

Though I wonder how much they'll price this.

Has Princess Peach ever been depicted as a thief in any past games? If this is a first, Nintendo really is pushing the envelope here. AFAIK, not even Barbie has had a thieving job.

The whole "phantom thief" trope this is playing at isn't really seen as a DIRTY AND DASTARDLY CROOK kinda thief thing in japanese media, it's usually a position served for charming rogue-like characters and they more often than not are depicted as cool and suave instead of, well, criminal. Tuxedo Mask from Sailor Moon fame is a particularly mainstream example and they often Robin Hood it up as some "i steal but im good : )" kinda deal.

And considering the overall aesthetic the game seems to be going for I'm pretty sure stuff like Cutie Honey and other magical girl japanese content where the heroine jumps from diff outfit to diff outfit is precisely what the inspiration for this game was, so yeah it's a depiction that in their head likely has nothing but positive conotations.

NoA just uploaded another trailer with new transformations!

The transformations are still super cool.

But man, there really needs to be some extended previews for this, and hopefully soon. The game is out in six weeks and we haven't seen any uninterrupted gameplay.

The whole "phantom thief" trope this is playing at isn't really seen as a DIRTY AND DASTARDLY CROOK kinda thief thing in japanese media, it's usually a position served for charming rogue-like characters and they more often than not are depicted as cool and suave instead of, well, criminal. Tuxedo Mask from Sailor Moon fame is a particularly mainstream example and they often Robin Hood it up as some "i steal but im good : )" kinda deal.

And considering the overall aesthetic the game seems to be going for I'm pretty sure stuff like Cutie Honey and other magical girl japanese content where the heroine jumps from diff outfit to diff outfit is precisely what the inspiration for this game was, so yeah it's a depiction that in their head likely has nothing but positive conotations.
You forget the literary anti-hero Arsene Lupin by Maurice Leblanc, and the endless number of inspirations made in Japanese media.

Some minutes ago, if you did listen carefully, you could've heard the "YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY" from my daughter everywhere in the world.

I dunno if I missed some trailer but I have seen 3 trailers so far and have no idea what this game even is.

Kinda feels like this game is an excuse to put Peach in different clothes. Still want to see what the game structure is, like some have said.

The costumes are neat, but I still don't care about the game. Gameplay looks boring.

I am not expecting much from this game other than a solid game with a variety of play experiences, there is a chance it may be shallow gameplay but from everything I have seen it still looks like a lot of fun.

Also Mighty Peach looks AWESOME!!!

Still looks like a good time. Loving the new costumes, and it’s hysterical they’re calling her Phantom Thief Peach in Japan.

Hoping for previews soon.

Last edited:
The JP website has been updated with extended clips of the new transformations if anyone is interested.

Once again I feel these clips do a better job of showing the gameplay off than the trailers up to this point.
They really do, jeez. I get a much better sense of what the game is going for in those gameplay clips.

Still looks like a good time. Loving the new costumes, and it’s hysterical they’re calling her Phantom Thief Peach in Japan.
I mean, might as well call a duck a duck. I personally find it more weird they call her "Dashing Thief" in the english trailer :LOL:
Especially in a post-Persona 5 world 👀

Agree with others here. The new transformations look good, but without any idea of the moment-to-moment gameplay outside of that (level structure, collectables, etc.) it still seems hard to pin down what this game really is. Remarkably poor marketing for the game so far, if I'm honest.

mermaid_chara.png

phantom_chara.png

superhero_chara.png

figureskating_chara.png

I do think the website does show more gameplay, but even with the trailers it's pretty clear that this game is going to be a platformer where each costume has a specific gimmick. Here were the website's videos for the last costumes. It's pretty clear what the gameplay is.

Some people put the clips from the website in various twitter videos. I think it shows the gameplay more.

It does show more depth then what is shown in the normal trailer (Ninja seems to have a very fun action moveset) so hopefully it is a sign that the game has more to offer with every outfit.

Lol somehow didn't put up the rest (it's the same twitter thread but I know some people can't access it anymore)

It does seem like each theater will emulate a different gameplay style. I did lol at the Professor Layton-esque finger pointing.

Edit: lol the thread actually updates:

Mermaid Peach:

Dashing Thief Peach:

Mighty Peach:

Figure Skater Peach:

It seems that each costume takes on a different aspect of actions Peach can perform and the game switches from 2D to 3D. Really, only the Baker costume has anything resembling minigames so it's weird people are pretending that represents the entire game.

I do think the website does show more gameplay, but even with the trailers it's pretty clear that this game is going to be a platformer where each costume has a specific gimmick. Here were the website's videos for the last costumes. It's pretty clear what the gameplay is.

Edit: lol the thread actually updates:

Mermaid Peach:

Dashing Thief Peach:

Mighty Peach:

Figure Skater Peach:

It seems that each costume takes on a different aspect of actions Peach can perform and the game switches from 2D to 3D. Really, only the Baker costume has anything resembling minigames so it's weird people are pretending that represents the entire game.

Once again the clips are selling me on the game a whole lot better than the trailers are. Nintendo wtf is this marketing?

Site was updated with even more clips. Here's some more that I got from twitter. Not gonna show off everything since it's super long but check the thread:

Normal Gameplay:

Also:

The lesbians claim Dashing Thief Peach

...and Mermaid Peach

...and Figure Skater Peach

...and...at this point the entire game.

No I'm still not answering questions.

I'm thinking the marketing for the game has just been super weird :/ instead of a more cohesive trailer that shows better how's the game pacing, the transformation trailers just make it feel like it's all over the place and doesn't follow a path.

I'm super thrilled tho and want to see more!! Maybe a demo can do it good by actually showing people how it plays.

Each trailer continues to make me like the game more :p
I feel the same way. At first, I was happy that Peach had her own game, but I thought it wasn't necessarily for me. But the more I see, the more I realise that I actually want to play this game, which looks fun and creative. My big fear, though, is that the game will be short and repetitive.

Site was updated with even more clips. Here's some more that I got from twitter. Not gonna show off everything since it's super long but check the thread:

Normal Gameplay:

Also:

Man, that little dance Peach does after rescuing a Theet is sublime.

I think her animations in general look really cool in this game. I'm not expert but some of the framing of the poses just oozes style and charm.

Edit: I think Samantha Kelly is also enjoying modifying the regular Peach voice to suit the transformations.

previews

About bloody time.

The previews seem to be confirming what most suspect - that this will be a relatively simple game that has a variety of styles to it.

This confirmed what I thought when they kept showing different genres and it had a shallow look to it. Looks like a pass until a big price drop in the future.

I had hopes for the game but these previews, huh. Looks so bland to me. Confirmed every fear I had for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom