• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Princess Peach: Showtime! — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like a game mainly aimed at the kiddos while also leaving the door open for expansion in the future. I do like this outfit motif for Peach, and there is plenty more I'm sure they could do in the future with this.

Certainly more than with the emotion gameplay in SPP.

Personally I think this game looks delightful, and even if I end up bouncing off of it, it looks like it has enough love and care put into it that it'll certainly appeal to a lot of demographics. It'd be a great example of "this isn't for me but that's perfectly fine".

Personally I think this game looks delightful, and even if I end up bouncing off of it, it looks like it has enough love and care put into it that it'll certainly appeal to a lot of demographics. It'd be a great example of "this isn't for me but that's perfectly fine".

Ultimately, Nintendo shouldn't make a Princess Peach game that targets 35-year old men. They know what they're doing here, and that's fine.

Ultimately, Nintendo shouldn't make a Princess Peach game that targets 35-year old men. They know what they're doing here, and that's fine.

I honestly agree: I'll play it with my daughter for sure, and will be her 3rd game (after Clubhouse 51 games and Switch Sports)

This is a game that honestly should be for a younger audience and it seems like it is. I actually think I'm cool with passing on it for the time being. Maybe I'll jump on it later in the year.

To be fair, I actually do think this targets 35 year old men. This seems to be the quintessential Dad game for those with young children, especially daughters.

Yeah, I get the disappointment from the older folks here that this game isn't more complicated, it is important that games are made specifically to cater to younger audiences.

And hey, this is a franchise I could see slowly growing more complex and compelling at time goes on and with more depth. Remember how short the original Luigi's Mansion was on Gamecube. Sometimes a new IP just needs to be given a chance to grow.

Though even then, I expect there to be a limit to how complex any future Peach games will get, much like how Mario tries to find this nice balance between still being for kids and adults.

Yeah, I get the disappointment from the older folks here that this game isn't more complicated, it is important that games are made specifically to cater to younger audiences.

And hey, this is a franchise I could see slowly growing more complex and compelling at time goes on and with more depth. Remember how short the original Luigi's Mansion was on Gamecube. Sometimes a new IP just needs to be given a chance to grow.

Though even then, I expect there to be a limit to how complex any future Peach games will get, much like how Mario tries to find this nice balance between still being for kids and adults.
Yeah, I'd expect at most a game decently balanced for all ages. Not a game that assumes you've been playing action-platformers since the NES days.

My irritation is just that I would like to enjoy some games with a more feminine aesthetic and this looks to be lacking options that would make it fun for me to play.

It’s not the end of the world, but I’m just a little disappointed.

This is like the first Nintendo game to star a woman other than Samus in a really long time as well.

This looks like a really charming gentle game for kids.

Are there multiple levels for each costume? Gamespot says it took them around 1h to finish the 5 levels.
Assuming this has at least 8-ish hours of game, I'm curious to see how it's structured overall. Multiple levels per costume with increasing difficulty, a ton of costumes, or something else entirely. Any info about it in the previews?

My irritation is just that I would like to enjoy some games with a more feminine aesthetic and this looks to be lacking options that would make it fun for me to play.

It’s not the end of the world, but I’m just a little disappointed.

This is like the first Nintendo game to star a woman other than Samus in a really long time as well.

I know for a fact that you are looking for Stellar Blade :p

Speaking as a 30 year old man with no children - to my knowlege - I think this one of those games that speaks to me on vibes first and foremost. I love the character and that this game seems to be willing to give her own slice of the extended Mario universe in a way that Super Princess Peach didn't really go for.

I think if I pair this with a more intense game - Resident Evil 4 Remake comes to mind in terms of my backlog - might make for a nice overall experience.

On the one hand, I don't want to be that person complaining about a game made for children. I hope the kids who really liked her in the movie enjoy it.

On the other hand... did it have to be Peach's first game in over a decade? Especially since Super Princess Peach was a pretty decent platformer regarding length and level design, other issues notwithstanding. Pretty bummed about this personally. Will be waiting for a sale down the line.

I don't think Super Princess Peach was a decent platformer at all. I've seen it before with Other M: people acknowledging the misogyny but saying it was a good/decent game... Both things can be true - and they sure are for them.

tbh I'm looking for a second game to use a voucher on (the first being TTYD) and maybe this is it... or maybe not

I might wait for general buzz when the full game is out to make a decision, I hope it's fun in the way Kirby games are fun despite being easy

from VGC's preview:

"According to Nintendo, there are ten transformations in total and two main stages for each, in addition to bonus stages, so we’re eager to see how their concepts evolve in the final game"

VGC says each level was ~20m. Plus bonus stages, it should be enough to put them at least over 8h of game.
Hope the second levels are meatier or that there are some secret costumes in store.

some previews mention special collectibles hidden in the levels that let you customize Peach's dress in the hubworld

sounds a lot like being able to customize Yoshi's design in Woolly World and Crafted World to me

so that's almost definitely what the last portion of the website is gonna be about

Looks way too basic, even for a kids game tbh

Kirby hits the sweet spot really well, shame this doesn't look like it does the same
Kirby has had decades to refine his formula, and there was a time where he hit a bit of a rut with Star Allies. It's not like the initial Kirby games were bastions of depth, and it arguably took until SuperStar for him to find serious footing and that was the end of the SNES's life.

On the one hand, I don't want to be that person complaining about a game made for children. I hope the kids who really liked her in the movie enjoy it.

On the other hand... did it have to be Peach's first game in over a decade? Especially since Super Princess Peach was a pretty decent platformer regarding length and level design, other issues notwithstanding. Pretty bummed about this personally. Will be waiting for a sale down the line.
Having played Super Princess Peach in my childhood, it was never an overly depthful game. It had cute visuals and a kinda cute gimmick (from the eyes of a kid) but it wasn't exactly the kind of game that inspired much other than frustration at the cliffhanger of an ending. It certainly had a lot of levels, but it did wear itself thin by the end.

Honestly the only thing worth mentioning about Super Princess Peach is that the submarine music sounds too much like Komm, Susser Tod from End of Evangelion.

Though to be fair, End of Evangalion but with Mario characters is pretty hilarious to think about.

This looks like a really charming gentle game for kids.

Are there multiple levels for each costume? Gamespot says it took them around 1h to finish the 5 levels.
Assuming this has at least 8-ish hours of game, I'm curious to see how it's structured overall. Multiple levels per costume with increasing difficulty, a ton of costumes, or something else entirely. Any info about it in the previews?
I read there are ten transformations with two main levels for each transformation

I'd like to play Super Princess Peach one day, but I won't lie: I'm glad the central conceit of Showtime isn't just "What if the hero and damsel switched places?".

Nothing wrong with that approach, mind. But as I said before, I appreciate that Peach is getting her own style, her own antagonist etc. She doesn't need to be tethered to Mario and Bowser to have her own thing.

I'd like to play Super Princess Peach one day, but I won't lie: I'm glad the central conceit of Showtime isn't just "What if the hero and damsel switched places?".

Nothing wrong with that approach, mind. But as I said before, I appreciate that Peach is getting her own style, her own antagonist etc. She doesn't need to be tethered to Mario and Bowser to have her own thing.
Every other main Mario Character eventually broke off into their own distinct series with unique gameplay and characters. Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Luigi, Wario, even fucking Toad. I'm surprised Peach didn't break off into her own series sooner.

Every other main Mario Character eventually broke off into their own distinct series with unique gameplay and characters. Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Luigi, Wario, even fucking Toad. I'm surprised Peach didn't break off into her own series sooner.
I'm hoping with Mario Wonder this also means the end of damsel in distress plots for her. Even if she's not playable in some future Mario platformers, she can just be a supporting character that helps Mario, doesn't have to be kidnapped all the time.

I'm hoping with Mario Wonder this also means the end of damsel in distress plots for her. Even if she's not playable in some future Mario platformers, she can just be a supporting character that helps Mario, doesn't have to be kidnapped all the time.
I actually don't think the damsel in distress plots are a bad thing. But I think they work best in small doses. It's good to mix it up every once in a while. It's a Mario tradition, so I doubt it's going away entirely. But hopefully it means Nintendo is more eggar to expand the Mario world a bit more.

I actually don't think the damsel in distress plots are a bad thing. But I think they work best in small doses. It's good to mix it up every once in a while. It's a Mario tradition, so I doubt it's going away entirely. But hopefully it means Nintendo is more eggar to expand the Mario world a bit more.

I mean, if it ever comes back I can't imagine it won't be for something like a hundred years considering how many bloody Mario games had it, and to the point it became a running joke in some of the games.

Outside of remakes, Peach hasn't been portrayed as a damsel since Origami King, and Luigi's Mansion 3 a year before that.

In terms of mainline Mario, it hasn't been a thing since Odyssey. Will be very interesting to see how things to with the next 3D Mario, given how recent Mario media has stepped away from the trope.

I'm not necessarily against the idea of her having to be rescued again one day - I think a lot is dependent on framing. But I'll be fine if we go another few games without it.

Outside of remakes, Peach hasn't been portrayed as a damsel since Origami King, and Luigi's Mansion 3 a year before that.

In terms of mainline Mario, it hasn't been a thing since Odyssey. Will be very interesting to see how things to with the next 3D Mario, given how recent Mario media has stepped away from the trope.

I'm not necessarily against the idea of her having to be rescued again one day - I think a lot is dependent on framing. But I'll be fine if we go another few games without it.
I'd argue that she wasn't really a damsel in distress in Luigi's Mansion 3 either. EVERYONE got kidnapped except for Luigi.

I'd argue that she wasn't really a damsel in distress in Luigi's Mansion 3 either. EVERYONE got kidnapped except for Luigi.

I was actually thinking of highlighting that as an example how framing can help with the trope.

It's a delicate balance so I'm intrigued how they will look at it going forward. I don't think they need to - or should they - swear off the rescue Peach angle forever more.

But it's been so pervasive for so such a long time, I don't think there's need to be a rush to bring it back either.

Brie Larson is cool 👑

E3uDVvc.png

They shouldn't but almost none of their game are really, this game could have been more interesting if it was something more akin to Mario Odyssey or Wonder, those hit a nicer balance of young and old.

Would have been funny and unique if they made a princess game with deeper gameplay.

But this is obviously just a little side project for Nintendo and that's fine. That price is a little steep tho.

They shouldn't but almost none of their game are really, this game could have been more interesting if it was something more akin to Mario Odyssey or Wonder, those hit a nicer balance of young and old.

Would have been funny and unique if they made a princess game with deeper gameplay.

But this is obviously just a little side project for Nintendo and that's fine. That price is a little steep tho.
The game looks like it's finding a unique gameplay angle for Peach that isn't just "Traditional Mario platformer headlined by Peach," which is fair.

Thing is, this is technically a new IP (well, new game concept) and the first games aren't always the deepest. The first Splatoon had its empty moments, as well as Arms prior to all the updates, and Luigi's Mansion is especially short unless you mine it for replay value. This isn't a side scroller, but a new idea framed around this costume shifting concept, so hopefully there is room to expand.

The game looks like it's finding a unique gameplay angle for Peach that isn't just "Traditional Mario platformer headlined by Peach," which is fair.

Well yeah, I wasn't saying that it should be a platformer like those games, I meant the difficulty balance in those games.

Thing is, this is technically a new IP (well, new game concept) and the first games aren't always the deepest. The first Splatoon had its empty moments, as well as Arms prior to all the updates, and Luigi's Mansion is especially short unless you mine it for replay value. This isn't a side scroller, but a new idea framed around this costume shifting concept, so hopefully there is room to expand.

I have absolutely no expectations that this IP will grow beyond a kids game, if it continues it'll likely be like Yoshi and remain focused on that demographic specifically.

I'm okay with this being a Yoshi-tier game, even if I was hoping for more Woolley World and less Story in terms of difficulty. This game comes out just after my eldest niece's birthday, so I can't use this as an easy birthday present pick, but I'll probably pick it up for the girls anyway since my brother has been hoping for his kids to catch the gaming bug.

the game always looked boring.

I just want to know who made it. If it's not Good Feel there's a chance they are working on something more interesting, like Wario Land.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom