• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Princess Peach: Showtime! — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
the girlbossification of princess peach is nearly complete
*Doja Cat enters the chat *

Really liked how expressive Movie Peach is so this is fine imo. Not sure if it'd work for any of the other characters but they already look well animated in Wonder anyways.
I really liked Movie Peach because of how much personality she has there. So any change to move video game Peach in that direction is welcomed.

Just peachy
lmao needs more Yeahs xD

They also changed her expression here:

She’s looking less dolly and regal and more cartoony

The Chris Pratt radar has increased to orange. End Report :p
Not happening, IMHO

They actually did send me a survey after the last direct with specific questions about whether or not the movie influenced my decision to purchase the game
Came here to say this. Nintendo is carefully designing this game to make sure appeals well. I’m convinced this game’s lifetime sales will reach 10 million units and Switch 2 will receive a sequel. And this will possibly be Peach’s new moveset in Smash

The movie designs were pretty much all improvements so I'm all for it, even if it's just the boxart.
Although I agree with you, I feel like Nintendo should create synergy between movie and video games, but not outright blend them. For the sake of brand protection.

I sort of dig the new redesign, wonder if this is only a boxart thing or they plan to adjust it in-game in the future. if not this game then slowly adjust it for when she appears on the Switch successor. Maybe its just the shadowing and redone eyes but its a neat look.

The only one that really got updated was the main Peach, the Martial Arts Peach got the raised eyebrow open mouth look, and Fencer Peach and Baker Peach left unchanged.
I’m not a video game developer, but I would presume facial expression adjustments are easy to do inside the game. So it’s possible it’s not just the boxart

Reminds me of the angy Kirby box art lol

Honestly, I'm not a fan of the movie design. I hope I will get used to it.
Same here! Hahaha

Looks like movie Peach now, and I kind of really hate the thought of Illumination influencing Nintendo's art direction

Illumination Peach is the best she's ever looked IMO.

Sometimes influences can be a positive. If Nintendo's only takeaways from the film regarding Peach are as follows:

1. She should no longer be a ditzy damsel who gets kidnapped at a snap of a finger.

2. She should be more expressive.

Then I fail to see that as anything other than a positive thing.

I will say I think the middle face looks a bit weird, if only because the expression looks more cocky than I think they were aiming for. Kung Fu Peach looks perfect.

Her new look is so much better. Like, in my mind there's not even a contest. She went from "plastic doll" to "cartoon capable of expressing emotions".

I hope they keep this look for the spin-offs.

I am being directly confronted with how eerie it is to see Peach with a different facial expression than "vacant stare" for the first time in my life, and I don't know how to feel about it.

The main thing that makes me think "Movie Peach" is the nose change in the 2nd image. It's definitely way more button nose-y like Illumination Peach's nose is, ha.

Yeah, it may not be exact, but it’s clearly taking cues from the movie here design-wise and obviously expression-wise. The longer, more prominent eyebrows, slightly more slanted eyes, and the lighting giving some definition to the face when she smiles are obvious indicators. I’d also say her face looks a bit rounder but that’s probably just the angle change.

I was always keen on them taking elements here or there from the movie designs, so I’m okay with this (I’d be more than okay if movie Bowser was just the default design ngl). I’m super curious if they’ll influence the next 3D Mario in some way now. A more expressive Peach is just a net positive in general.

It does oddly standout as a bit uncanny however, when next to the relatively unchanged (sans Kung-Fu) Peaches in the back.

Last edited:
I'm always up for design cues being taken from the film, since that was the first time in a long time I felt the 3D Depictions of the characters were as expressive as the 2d art.

It's funny if I look at both of them separately they both look normal to me, it's only in contrast that I notice the change. I guess it means it's fine.

They also changed her expression here:

That's just the Japanese box art on the left and the American one on the right

Kirby_Air_Ride_2_1379.jpg

Big improvement, Peach always had that flat texture on 3D capsule look. The rounder features, added shadows and are-her-eyebrows-actually-modeled-now?-look makes her much more emotive and like she belongs in the 21st century.

*Doja Cat enters the chat *

I really liked Movie Peach because of how much personality she has there. So any change to move video game Peach in that direction is welcomed.

lmao needs more Yeahs xD

She’s looking less dolly and regal and more cartoony

Not happening, IMHO

Came here to say this. Nintendo is carefully designing this game to make sure appeals well. I’m convinced this game’s lifetime sales will reach 10 million units and Switch 2 will receive a sequel. And this will possibly be Peach’s new moveset in Smash

Although I agree with you, I feel like Nintendo should create synergy between movie and video games, but not outright blend them. For the sake of brand protection.

I’m not a video game developer, but I would presume facial expression adjustments are easy to do inside the game. So it’s possible it’s not just the boxart

Same here! Hahaha
Oh, I know it isn't happening.

...I'm probably gonna make jokes about it for a few more years though. :p

Not very happy about the change, honestly. Something feels pretty "off" about the face. I think it's the nose. Not against movie Peach but she could be more bossy/film-like without needing to lose any of the "girly" features that make her... Peach, lol.

Regardless of whether or not this change is the right way to go long-term, the lack of expression has been an issue for Peach for a long time:

SMS_Peach_notices_something.png

This is Peach shocked.

SMS_Peach_and_Toadsworth_object.png

This is Peach raising an objection.

Peach_holds_Luma_SMG.png

This is Peach reacting to her kingdom being blown to hell and back.

SMG_Peach_calling_for_help.png

This is Peach shouting for Mario.

SMO-ND0913-SCRN03.jpg

This is also Peach shouting for Mario.

SMO_E3_2017_screenshot_3.png

This is Peach looking sad.

I'm not trying to say Peach was completely lacking in expression or anything, but it definitely feels limited. The original Showcase art kinda highlights this issue where Peach seems to have something of a default look, regardless of what she's actually doing.

Hell, I'd even argue that super cute clip yesterday of Elephant Peach and Bowser demonstrated that Peach's face just doesn't seem to move that much - even though she's supposed to be displaying happiness, suspicion, surprise and curiosity in the space of a few seconds.

So...yeah. I do want to stress this isn't a Peach only problem, but I feel she has been given the short straw historically in terms of expression. Any attempt to change that is welcome in my books, even if they don't necessarily nail it straight away.

Regardless of whether or not this change is the right way to go long-term, the lack of expression has been an issue for Peach for a long time:

This is Peach shocked.

Peach_holds_Luma_SMG.png

SMO-ND0913-SCRN03.jpg

I'm not trying to say Peach was completely lacking in expression or anything, but it definitely feels limited. The original Showcase art kinda highlights this issue where Peach seems to have something of a default look, regardless of what she's actually doing.

Hell, I'd even argue that super cute clip yesterday of Elephant Peach and Bowser demonstrated that Peach's face just doesn't seem to move that much - even though she's supposed to be displaying happiness, suspicion, surprise and curiosity in the space of a few seconds.

So...yeah. I do want to stress this isn't a Peach only problem, but I feel she has been given the short straw historically in terms of expression. Any attempt to change that is welcome in my books, even if they don't necessarily nail it straight away.
no matter her emotions she can't move her eyelids. the botox too strong. thankfully, she fixed her addiction

Yeah, I absolutely hate the illumination look. The background changes are fine (she just looks more expressive here, not another character entirely), that middle face is just awful.

I was always afraid of the Mario movie success seeping into the games themselves and slowly changing everything, and it seems that might start happening. Sigh.

People do realize it's just a box art change right ? It won't actually reflect how she's portrayed in the game (tho I'm also failing to see the issue considering more facial expressions is a positive anyway)

If the only issue is somehow nintendo taking a few notes from the movie I think people are vastly overestimating the influence it'll have on the games they're developing besides some superficial changes here and there.

Yeah, I absolutely hate the illumination look. The background changes are fine (she just looks more expressive here, not another character entirely), that middle face is just awful.

I was always afraid of the Mario movie success seeping into the games themselves and slowly changing everything, and it seems that might start happening. Sigh.
This is the same boat I'm in. I think Mario has a really strong aesthetic refined by Kotabe and Nakaue's art that was unfortunately really worn down as a result of the sterilization of the Wii era up until just recently. I'm not going to act like Peach can't and shouldn't be more expressive (because she absolutely she be, especially in a game all about her), but just slapping the DreamWorks face on her isn't an improvement in any way. I dislike the 2023 Mario movie in basically every regard, so I'd really hate to have its aesthetic start seeping into the series.

My slow old man brain is only just wondering what Peach Showtime's various transformations mean for Smash Bros.

They'll probably work it into her special moves/Final Smash as opposed to reworking her into a full blown transformation character - not that I'd be against that idea.

Can already imagine the reactions from some if Peach Bomber ever got replaced with a move from Showtime.

"sTuPiD wOkE NiNtEnDo etc etc!"

Though that being said, they could rework Peach fully and leave Daisy with the old moveset. She would no longer be an Echo but it'd cover the bases.

Though that being said, they could rework Peach fully and leave Daisy with the old moveset. She would no longer be an Echo but it'd cover the bases.
100% this would be my preferred way of doing things. One way of making alterations to Smash is to update characters to reflect their changing appearances and gameplay; in this case, keeping Daisy as the old Peach moveset gives Nintendo an easy way of dealing with things.

Revamping Peach's moveset feels completely unnecessary. She's one of the veterans that doesn't need a major redesign. Having her transformations as a new Final Smash and adding a couple of ribbon moves to her normals/Smash attacks is as far as it should go.

This is Peach shocked.

Peach_holds_Luma_SMG.png

SMO-ND0913-SCRN03.jpg

I feel like that's intentional, though. It's supposed to be goofy how she's mostly unphazed by any shit and is always looking cute instead. When you look at the comparison between old and new Kung Fu Peach, the old look is much funnier to me, she's about to hi jump kick the hell out of people with that happy go lucky cute face, as opposed to the new expression which is just... Normal for that situation.

The lack of expression wasn't a limitation of her design, it was choice, they did have her classic design showing a wide range of expressions before:

images

I guess my point is, if they wanted her to be more expressive in this game, they didn't need to change her unique and iconic classic look for an artstyle that, imo, looks like generic CGI animation and you can find anywhere.

Revamping Peach's moveset feels completely unnecessary. She's one of the veterans that doesn't need a major redesign. Having her transformations as a new Final Smash and adding a couple of ribbon moves to her normals/Smash attacks is as far as it should go.
That's a very uncreative way of updating characters. Especially ones whom are doing more to come into their own like Peach is. What's next, Ganon should stay being a Falcon clone despite being so different in TotK? Both of these characters are why it's good to start from scratch for character play every now and then

No they’re old now. These characters are outdated. They need to be updated. That’s why a Smash reboot would work because they need to overhaul many of them so they’re not stuck from the past.

I feel like that's intentional, though. It's supposed to be goofy how she's mostly unphazed by any shit and is always looking cute instead. When you look at the comparison between old and new Kung Fu Peach, the old look is much funnier to me, she's about to hi jump kick the hell out of people with that happy go lucky cute face, as opposed to the new expression which is just... Normal for that situation.

The lack of expression wasn't a limitation of her design, it was choice, they did have her classic design showing a wide range of expressions before:

images

I guess my point is, if they wanted her to be more expressive in this game, they didn't need to change her unique and iconic classic look for an artstyle that, imo, looks like generic CGI animation and you can find anywhere.

I don't think her lack of expression is because they want to portray her as comically unphased - I don't think that tracks considering the amount of evidence we have that shows us that she  does get phased by things. I'd totally be up for her being comically unphased and cute, but by and large I don't think that's been the portrayal.

It's a valid interpretation though! And I'm not trying to kick you for finding it funny or charming etc. It's just not one I agree with.

I think the main impasse between our viewpoints will be the assertion that this amended face (or Movie Peach in general) isn't faithful to the established look - which is something I've long disagreed with. There are differences to be sure, but nothing that I think amounts to a substantial change so as to not be recognisably Peach.

For me, the differences between the old and new face are of the same ilk as the changes that Peach and the rest of the cast has gone through over the last 30 years. They're slight and noticeable, but they're still them. I don't see this as a situation like Classic/Modern Sonic, or Peter Parker in the Insomniac games.

Not saying you do either, mind. More of a general observation.

Even if I was of the opinion that there had been a substantial change, I think there would have to be questions asked as to why her design has led to her lacking in expression a lot of the time. Mario, Luigi and Bowser haven't had that issue to the same extent, and much like Peach, their designs haven't significantly been altered in that same timeframe.

This is becoming a bit of a ramble, but I'll re-emphasise that this isn't an issue I think is exclusive to Peach. I'd argue that Daisy and Rosalina both have had similar issues, though to a lesser extent.

Also, I really hope this doesn't come off as combative or anything! I care about these characters a lot, so please understand I'm not trying to dismiss any concerns people have with things like this. I know that, by and large, they come from the same place of care as my views do.

She looks more human, and from Baker Peach we can see the actual MODEL hasn't changed, so I'm quite alright with a more expressive, less constantly chipper Peach!

Oh no, Nintendo joining in with the dreaded "Dreamworks" Face

dreamworks_face_4.png

wtf you doing there Buzz?
Putting Nick and Coraline in that lineup is cruel. They have good, in-character reasons to be smugasses.

We're not going to know the team behind this game until March, are we.
Seeing Nintendo's stance on the Mario voice-actor reveal and the ArtePiazza thing, it seems they want people to know at their own time, rather than openly announce it. I think we'll find out once this game loads into the eShop

So, with Nintendo Live in Tokyo being cancelled, and demos of this game were supposed to be there, what are they going to do about it now? Can we expect a Princess Peach Showtime Direct and then a demo dropped in the eShop for all of us after that?
I think just a trailer in January, like they had a trailer in January for 3D World in 2021 or Kirby in 2022. Though it's unclear if the demo was meant to be public for everyone.

So, with Nintendo Live in Tokyo being cancelled, and demos of this game were supposed to be there, what are they going to do about it now? Can we expect a Princess Peach Showtime Direct and then a demo dropped in the eShop for all of us after that?

They could just do a press preview event via cloud streaming in January instead and release a trailer with some new footage.

It'll probably shift from being a public demo to being a press demo at smaller press-and-influencer-only events, that will later be recycled for use at store kisoks closer to launch.

I imagine we'll see the marketing ramp up come the new year regardless of what happened with Nintendo Live.

It's probably the highest profile release of the first quarter for Nintendo, so they'll need to start showing it off relatively soon.

I imagine we'll see the marketing ramp up come the new year regardless of what happened with Nintendo Live.

It's probably the highest profile release of the first quarter for Nintendo, so they'll need to start showing it off relatively soon.
I think it’s the only high profile game of Q1! Mario vs DK is a remake and it has Mario and DK so there’s something to that. Another Code is a remake and will probably sell 1,000 copies. Princess Peach Showtime it is!

i think this game will have for sure a free demo, it’s a new ip with a good amount of marketing behind so they’ll want everyone to try the game first to understand how it plays.
I’m thinking more on previews on January and a February demo post direct.

i think this game will have for sure a free demo, it’s a new ip with a good amount of marketing behind so they’ll want everyone to try the game first to understand how it plays.
I’m thinking more on previews on January and a February demo post direct.
A demo probably did wonders for Pikmin 4 in terms of making it less of a risk for people to spend money on, and this is another one where it will make sense to do the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom