• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Pokémon Scarlet and Violet — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: new trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2D games were held by strings tho. They looked cohesive, but they would break with very little fiddling.

At this point in time i'm not surprised by the negativity, if anything, It tires me. Why people always expects the unthinkable from Gamefreak when they have never been a tech powerhouse is something that escapes my understanding, and well... It just feels tiresome to speak about the rest.
It's because this becomes more and more of a problem as Gamefreak increases the scope of their games. I personally am much harsher on open world games if they look boring or ugly because if your game expects me to trudge through your large open areas I at least want something eyecatching to look at while I'm holding forward on the joystick while going from point a to point b.

All the tiny graphical issues, Pokemon on the overworld barely having animations, the draw distance being ass all stand out much more to me, this is amplified even more by the games being so easy so you don't really have to pay much attention to battles and stuff, I don't care nearly as much about Bayonetta's environments not looking as good or something because I'm too busy being engaged with the combat and moment to moment gameplay.

I guess these games going open world was inevitable though but the more restrained 2D (and 3ds) games just did a better job of hiding Gamefreak's ineptitude while this and SWSH really expose it and make it harder to ignore, the games are still gonna sell a bazillion copies anyways so they'll live if a couple gajins online complain about it on twitter and forums for boomers.

I am hoping none of this backlash happens with SV
looking at the Switchs history of Pokemon sales it will sell gangbusters regardless.

hardcore and core gamers are pretty disconnected when it comes to mainstream game success.

It is really funny to me how the discourse about easy games needing to step up the difficulty is widely accepted while proposals of the opposite to make harder games easier with accessibility features is met often times with instant defense of the artists vision and outrage.

Kinda tired of it tbh.

I do not know very much about Gamefreak as a company, but I see some people saying that they are not a large company. Is this by choice? I would have thought that after all their successes they would be big enough to manage their resources in such a way that they can create more, faster.

If the transition to 3D gave them such a strain to produce products of similar quality within the same timespan why would they not outsource more or ramp up their personel? (They have 169 employees going by the wiki now) I see they are a very profitable company with a total worth of 90 billion dollars (latest known net profit 120 million US dollars in 2020)

I know expectations from Pokémon are gargantuan having fans of all ages but I never understood (and maybe it is a bit cliché because I have seen others repeat the same thing) why such a succesfull company still feels like they are playing catch up all the time on several fronts.

You know what, don't answer. I'm going to dig in myself so you don't have to answer but I didn't want to type this only to remove everything immediately 🤪 thanks for reading I guess.

I do not know very much about Gamefreak as a company, but I see some people saying that they are not a large company. Is this by choice? I would have thought that after all their successes they would be big enough to manage their resources in such a way that they can create more, faster.

If the transition to 3D gave them such a strain to produce products of similar quality within the same timespan why would they not outsource more or ramp up their personel? (They have 169 employees going by the wiki now) I see they are a very profitable company with a total worth of 90 billion dollars (latest known net profit 120 million US dollars in 2020)

I know expectations from Pokémon are gargantuan having fans of all ages but I never understood (and maybe it is a bit cliché because I have seen others repeat the same thing) why such a succesfull company still feels like they are playing catch up all the time on several fronts.

You know what, don't answer. I'm going to dig in myself so you don't have to answer but I didn't want to type this only to remove everything immediately 🤪 thanks for reading I guess.
The official reason is that they prefer running a smaller ship, so to speak. They also have Creatures for modeling and outsource a lot for marketing iirc. I've heard they've started hiring more people but idk how many hires they plan to do. All I know is that their desire for smaller dev teams is going to really bite them in ass if Legends and SV are the future of the franchise.

They are expanding rn
they currently have 71 open roles although a few aren't for Pokémon

https://hrmos.co/pages/gamefreak/jobs

looking at the Switchs history of Pokemon sales it will sell gangbusters regardless.

The hardcore and core games are pretty disconnected when it comes to mainstream game success.

It is really funny to me how the discourse about easy games needing to step up the difficulty is widely accepted while proposals of the opposite to make harder games easier with accessibility features is met often times with instant dismissal and outrage.

Kinda tired of it tbh.
The double standards
I wouldn't give them much weight.
Fair

I don't like to complain but yeah, still ignoring your biggest flaws after developing years worth of Pokémon games feels odd, to the point I don't really understand anymore why people still attempt to defend these kind of choices.

I still ask why though, why do they knowingly choose to ignore such features? I can understand that they want to appeal to a younger audience with their difficulty but ignoring the challenging aspect of your games altogether...

Are there some kind of feedback models that they use which steers them this direction or is it really just ignorance?
They had Easy and Challenge modes in B2W2, problem was the implementation made them really difficult to access. Mostly just broad level scaling for enemies, with an extra mon and different sets for bosses on challenge mode.

If they brought it back for newer games there's definitely ways to expand on that with stuff like EVs, items, how the AI uses gimmicks. So an easy mode could have bosses with no EVs or items who can't use the gimmick, while a hard mode has full EV spreads with healing and held items, maybe has more flexibility in how they Terastalize, and then the standard difficulty is what you'd usually get

The hardest pokemon battle I can remember was the 3v1 fight against the stunkies in the crimson marsh in Legends. Yes the combat system was busted, but it actually put me on the ropes

Volo is way harder than Cynthia too

They had Easy and Challenge modes in B2W2, problem was the implementation made them really difficult to access. Mostly just broad level scaling for enemies, with an extra mon and different sets for bosses on challenge mode.

If they brought it back for newer games there's definitely ways to expand on that with stuff like EVs, items, how the AI uses gimmicks. So an easy mode could have bosses with no EVs or items who can't use the gimmick, while a hard mode has full EV spreads with healing and held items, maybe has more flexibility in how they Terastalize, and then the standard difficulty is what you'd usually get
That would still be nice to have back, simple as it was. Just make it available from the beginning this time.

I'm guessing we'll find out what those purposefully leaked Pokémon are. One of them is the regional rodent for sure.

Alright. Are we meant to expect a full trailer every single week till release? That seems excessive ahah.

Or maybe marketing will chill and we'll get just a new mon reveal next week.

I just want my first stage starter evolutions

Edit: A new Paldea gym leader will be revealed.

I'm guessing we'll find out what those purposefully leaked Pokémon are. One of them is the regional rodent for sure.
Those Pokemon weren't purposefully leaked, all of them were nonexistent in the JP version of the trailer. Combined with the choppier framerates, someone somewhere along the line really fucked up with the western trailer

Alright. Are we meant to expect a full trailer every single week till release? That seems excessive ahah.

Or maybe marketing will chill and we'll get just a new mon reveal next week.
I am guessing we'll get another trailer next, then previews and after all that a final trailer + reviews.

Next evolutions finally????
One can only hope

The hardest pokemon battle I can remember was the 3v1 fight against the stunkies in the crimson marsh in Legends. Yes the combat system was busted, but it actually put me on the ropes

Volo is way harder than Cynthia too
I found Volo harder than Cynthia for sure. The fact that he has a full team of six that are fully capable of stomping you on their own, plus Girantina who you have to face after his team has already wrecked you, made that fight brutal. I loved it.

Those Pokemon weren't purposefully leaked, all of them were nonexistent in the JP version of the trailer. Combined with the choppier framerates, someone somewhere along the line really fucked up with the western trailer
Wouldn't be the first time TPB leaked something on purpose. Remember this?

doryuuzu-ononokusu-desukan-denchura.jpg

Wouldn't be the first time TPB leaked something on purpose. Remember this?

doryuuzu-ononokusu-desukan-denchura.jpg
I didn't follow the BW prerelease. It's not impossible it was intentional, but given the other obvious oversights the SV trailer has, it's most likely a mistake

This is the 3rd week in a row where we’ve gotten a new SV news upload (Wiglett, 14min overview, and tomorrow). Wonder if we’re in for a weekly trailer release until launch now, 38 days out

Even more?!
I may have to skip this one.
It is just so, soooo hard to avoid seeing brand new Pokémon. Thumbnails everywhere.
Oh well, as long as they do not show a lot of them, it should be fine

Can this become the Pokémon game that will actually hold a surprise or 2 for me? Still haven't spotted a full image leak of everything but it can't take too long now. Gotta love dataminers.

I don't actually watch these trailers, I just check the screens and information Serebii tweets out, and I find that helps me enjoy the game even more when I play it. Worked quite well for Sword & Shield.

Even more?!
I may have to skip this one.
It is just so, soooo hard to avoid seeing brand new Pokémon. Thumbnails everywhere.
Oh well, as long as they do not show a lot of them, it should be fine
They still show way less than during the last three/four gens, so the current pacing is fine. I think it makes sense for them too speed up the hype circle the month before release.

I miss new Pokemon info coming from other media, like corocoro, or Pokémon cards
The monthly Corcoro leak that would always happen used to be a fun event. I like the trailers and everything now, of course, but I do miss that monthly check-in

They still show way less than during the last three/four gens, so the current pacing is fine. I think it makes sense for them too speed up the hype circle the month before release.
Is it still less than SwordShield? I think Serebii showed a chart a while back to show it was less, but not sure if that is still true, haha
But yes it makes sense ^^

I'm kinda nostalgic for the old Corocoro leak days. Plus it was a lot easier to fake stuff so there was a constant guessing game haha.

“Fake or not fake art?” are definitely more entertaining in speculation season than people posting info after playing a build of the games.

Internet around 2000 was such a gift, things were still novel and mysterious.

The deeper bowels of the Internet which consisted of videogame discussion was still mostly for nerds.
Speculation fed the fantasy and no one really knew anything, but everyone had a Nintendo Uncle.

Now we have ****ing data miners and clout chasers who ruin all the fun but still I cannot resist to follow them.

I am a weak man.

The good ol' days of when everyone was speculating over what type Sylveon would be: Flying, "Light", "Sound" etc after its art leaked online

Speaking of, maybe a bit off-topic for this thread, but I wonder when we'll eventually see another new type to throw a wrench into the works. Took 4 gens between Dark and Steel in 2 and 6 adding Fairy and now we're almost four gens away from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom