• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release Pikmin 4 — Pre-release Discussion (UPDATE: "Your First Expedition with Pikmin" trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't played the demo yet but I might forgo that and just pick up the game next week. I liked Pikmin 3 so I'm sure I'll enjoy this. If I don't, I can just blame all of you for giving positive impressions of the demo.

The only thing that will be inferior in Pikmin 4 compared to 3 is the GODLY set up to play it on Wii U

Wiimote + nunchak + TV screen + gamepad for the map

So I finally started the demo since the game is a few days away now. The biggest improvement over 3 so far that I've noticed is that when Pikmin are individually carrying a stack of smaller pieces, only the required number of Pikmin will go back to the stack while the rest will stay at the Onion. That's a welcome change.

Having said that... I'm very disappointed with the control options. I checked the settings and saw that motion controls were on by default, but I was wondering why I couldn't move the reticle independently. Turns out you can only do that when you're holding down A. That's a huge downgrade from 3 Deluxe which I thought was the perfect compromise for the controls. My understanding is that Pikmin 1 + 2 on Switch have the same control scheme, which means the Wii versions will remain my go-to. That's a letdown, but I hope I can get used to it.

I haven't played the demo yet but I might forgo that and just pick up the game next week. I liked Pikmin 3 so I'm sure I'll enjoy this. If I don't, I can just blame all of you for giving positive impressions of the demo.
The save will carry over. Start the demo and pretend you got the game a couple days early

So I finally started the demo since the game is a few days away now. The biggest improvement over 3 so far that I've noticed is that when Pikmin are individually carrying a stack of smaller pieces, only the required number of Pikmin will go back to the stack while the rest will stay at the Onion. That's a welcome change.

Having said that... I'm very disappointed with the control options. I checked the settings and saw that motion controls were on by default, but I was wondering why I couldn't move the reticle independently. Turns out you can only do that when you're holding down A. That's a huge downgrade from 3 Deluxe which I thought was the perfect compromise for the controls. My understanding is that Pikmin 1 + 2 on Switch have the same control scheme, which means the Wii versions will remain my go-to. That's a letdown, but I hope I can get used to it.
Yes, hold A for gyro is not the best solution, however in this game you don't even need aim because of semi auto lock-on. In Pikmin 1+2 you still need to aim, so it's worse here.

isn't it kinda odd that no leaks have happened yet? or have they and just no one noticed? Also seems this is the game that finally dethroned TOTK from it's #1 eshop spot
Many leaks have happened. The game was datamined ever since the demo came out. Thankfully I've avoided anything, though.

isn't it kinda odd that no leaks have happened yet? or have they and just no one noticed? Also seems this is the game that finally dethroned TOTK from it's #1 eshop spot
The demo's been datamined which revealed a fair amount of stuff but yeah no full game leaks yet

Not super weird though, Pikmin's a smaller game and less hardcore oriented so leaks are less likely, since fewer people who would leak the game are interested in getting it early

The demo's been datamined which revealed a fair amount of stuff but yeah no full game leaks yet

Not super weird though, Pikmin's a smaller game and less hardcore oriented so leaks are less likely, since fewer people who would leak the game are interested in getting it early
Besides, a huge game like ToTK leaking creates more internet fame/cloud and clicks for websites than something like Pikmin leaking

I'm already getting anxiously impatient for Thursday night.

I'm just happy Viewfinder is coming out tomorrow so I'll have that to kill time before this releases.

Ask the developers talking about how the Pikmin design came to be.

I certainly see what they mean in returning to the style of 1 while giving some people what they enjoyed in 2. I finally beat 1 for the first time and loved it. But 2 is honestly kind of torture. You go down a cave with no knowledge of how big it will be. You may enter without the Pikmin needed to get all the treasures despite the cave entrance explicitly telling you which Pikmin it suggests but one you need isn’t listed. Which wouldn’t be so bad if the state of the cave remained even just for the same day, so instead you may have to fight through enemies all over again. I’ve only paid off half the debt, but I’m just not loving the general flow. I get why people missed the time limit.

I’m loving 4’s mix of everything including making the challenges from 3 part of the game. Making it easier to reset your state. Caves being mini puzzles and maintaining state. Though it was fascinating seeing one small cave area in 2 that was identical to a part of a cave in 4. They’ve clearly held into little segments and just mix and match them, like the Link’s Awakening dungeon maker.

Game has leaked, as a warning to those who are afraid of spoilers

Though the leaks don't seem particularly wide spread and if you haven't seen any leaks from the demo datamine already then I doubt you'd run across the new ones

I've made the mistake of looking at leaks/spoilers lol and all I'm gonna say is that 4 looks like it's going to be the best pikmin game yet (and I friggin love 1-3).

Leaks and spoilers? No problem. I've come prepared.

DodgeWhistleDataFile.jpeg

I wasn’t going to play this straight away as I’m still going through TotK and I wanted to go through the extra content in Pikmin 3 but I don’t think I can wait haha

Already seen a few reviews say they weren’t done with the game yet 15 hours in. Might really be the longest game in the series yet.
ign reviewer said the story mode took 20 hours which is much more than 1 and 2. I don't remember how long 3 took me.

Already seen a few reviews say they weren’t done with the game yet 15 hours in. Might really be the longest game in the series yet.
Hiramuki:
"However, we had to increase the volume of content to achieve this. The amount of things you can collect in Pikmin 4 is more than the number of items in all the previous titles combined. (Laughs)"

Found out I'm not getting out of hospital until after launch day, I know this shouldn't be a priority but still 😭.

Could try and get someone to preload and bring my switch in but I think its a non-starter.

A documentary about the reconstructed cut sixth area from Pikmin 3, while you wait for Friday!

Damn, I called this like a month ago, but then went looking at the cut material from the game and didn't find anything indicating it was the case. Apparently because they were keeping it close to the chest!

Shame they didn't get a later iteration of the map though, I'd have liked to see what the level would be like adapted to the final mechanics and structure of Pikmin 3, at least partially.

Something they didn't bring up as a possible reason for the cut is that structurally it seems too similar to Twilight River. You have the river wrapping around the central area and a big emphasis on the lily pads, which were kind of Twilight River's main gimmick. After getting Blue Pikmin, while it is entirely optional, there's actually still a lot to do in the game just because there's way more water in this one than the others. It's a major feature of every single map, unlike the rest of the series. Maybe feeling like there wasn't a place for another whole level with even more rivers and nothing particularly new to offer besides was a contributing factor to it getting the axe in favor of the weird little Garden of Hope addendum we have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom