• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pikmin 4 |ST| In Development and Very Close to Completion

What's your favorite Pikmin game before 4?

• Pikmin

Votes: 22 13.1%
  • Pikmin 2

Votes: 31 18.5%
  • Pikmin 3

Votes: 97 57.7%
  • Pikmin Bloom

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Hey! Pikmin (why would you pick this?)

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I’ve never played Pikmin before

Votes: 14 8.3%

• Total voters

Catalyst

Koopa
Pronouns
He/Him
pikmin4logo.png

famiboardsflower.png

by-catalyst.png

Release Date: July 21, 2023
Price: $59.99
Number of Players: Single System (1-2)
Developers: Nintendo EPD, Eighting
Publisher: Nintendo
Genre: Action, Adventure, Strategy
Supported Play Modes: TV, Tabletop mode, Handheld mode
File Size: 10.5 GB
Supported Languages: Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese

Screenshot-14.png

The Pikmin franchise is one of the most unique and original series in Nintendo's deep catalogue. Players control an astronaut explorer on an uncharted world, utilizing plant-like creatures called Pikmin to complete tasks across multiple in-game days. After a decade-long wait, Pikmin 4 is finally here! With all three previous games available for purchase on Switch and a demo for 4 on the E-shop, there's no better time than now to jump into this acclaimed series.

Series protagonist Captain Olimar has crash landed on a planet and needs some help fast. Word of Olimar's plight reaches the Rescue Corps, a diverse crew of explorers that set out in their S.S. Shepherd ship to search for Olimar. However, the Rescue Corps end up crash landing as well! It's up to you to save Olimar, the Corps, and any other castaways that need assistance. The game's vast areas are also filled with treasures. These treasures are worth Sparklium, which is used to repair the damaged S.S. Shepherd and open up new areas. This seems like a daunting task for a rookie, but nothing is impossible with a squad of dependable Pikmin!

Screenshot-16.png

But who are these Pikmin, anyway? Pikmin 4 features the largest selection of Pikmin colors in series history, with 9 types in total. Knowing which types are useful in which situation is crucial to success on your expedition. Keep in mind that only 3 types of Pikmin can be out on the field at once. In chronological order, we have:

Pikmin TypeDescription
138px-P4-Red-Bud-Pikmin-Posing.webp
redpikmin.png
The Pikmin that started it all. Reds are flame resistant, and they do extra damage to enemies.
7k57g8fc.png
yellowpikmin.png
These big-eared Pikmin have a lot of versatility. They conduct electricity, dig really well, and are thrown higher than other Pikmin.
Pikmin-4-Blue-Pikmin-Tripping.webp
bluepikmin.png
Blue Pikmin can swim! Use them to navigate the various aquatic areas of the planet.
fcyia755.png
07bf2d404f52272053000cef08e4795e.png
The heaviest and strongest of the Pikmin species, purples can carry ten times the weight of a normal Pikmin. They also stun enemies when thrown.
gawzyg9j.png
480695afc2d0c1dfbc837879b644c55a.png
White Pikmin are extremely toxic. Throw one in an enemy's mouth and it will take massive damage. If you're the type that likes to keep your Pikmin alive, you can still take advantage of whites' high speed and poison resistance.
e5895dff.png
59a31e27da49e7073d6aa8edfed18194.png
Rock-hard Pikmin that break crystals and glass but can't be crushed. They do extra contact damage to enemies and won't latch onto them, so combat with Rocks is unique.
wv8nb3yq.png
e81147a0e8840e48110106789b979ae0.png
Having wings makes collecting treasure and clearing obstacles a cinch. They are strong against flying baddies but weak against grounded enemies.
gsd7c4im.png
1d5bfc19f9b6829d1e58a086c9aa10fb.png
New to Pikmin 4, these frosty soldiers can freeze enemies and turn water into solid ice. An excellent choice for combat or exploration.
3p8ibm29.png
6ba5e2166f21744907838985d2ebcff0.png
This mysterious ghost Pikmin is only seen at night. Multiple Glow Pikmin can combine into a bright orb and trounce enemies in a flash of light.

Screenshot-18.png

The stand-out addition of Pikmin 4 is Oatchi the Space Dog. This loyal member of the Rescue Corps is as versatile as he is cute. For starters, you can command him to carry items or fight enemies just like a Pikmin. His Rush ability allows him to charge forward and break certain objects. Once he's big enough you can ride on Oatchi's back with your Pikmin to carry them across bodies of water! Jumping, plucking, sniffing for treasure....too many skills to list here but you get the point. Just know that Oatchi has a health bar so don't use him recklessly.

An important aspect of Oatchi is his customizability. When you first encounter him, he doesn't have access to many of the aforementioned abilities. But rescuing castaways rewards the player with Pup Drives. Talk to Shepherd, the captain of the Corps, and she'll use Pup Drives to teach Oatchi new skills. This ranges from stronger attack power to advanced abilities like rounding up missing Pikmin. You choose what you want your pooch to learn and give him skills that best fit your playstyle. Some upgrades for Oatchi are also earned automatically with story progression.

Screenshot-20.png

Oatchi is great and all, but he isn't the only new thing in Pikmin 4! There are plenty of fresh additions and shake-ups from past titles, such as:

Character Customization:
Step into the shoes of a new recruit to the Rescue Corps. The character's hair, face, body type, skin tone, and spacesuit color are all customizable. The spacesuit color you choose will be reflected in the other crew members, who wear matching outfits. Even your ship will be the same color!

Revamped Caves:
Veteran Pikmin 2 players will recognize the cave system. Entering a hole in the overworld will take you to a multi-floor underground dungeon where time doesn't pass. Each cave is filled with treasure and dangerous enemies, and you can't grow any Pikmin down there so be careful! Unlike in Pikmin 2, the caves are not randomly generated, and some of them feature more puzzle elements. The S.S. Beagle pod will deposit any treasure you discover and identify the castaways you rescue underground.

Nighttime Exploration: The dead of night is a dangerous time to be on the planet, with all the nocturnal creatures fully awake and hungry. That isn't stopping the Rescue Corps from venturing out, however! Your nighttime objective is to defend large dirt mounds called Lumiknolls, which house Glow Pikmin. Use the Glow Pikmin to protect the mounds from ravenous enemies. A successful nighttime mission rewards you with valuable Glow Sap, so don't chicken out!

Quests and Upgrades: Instead of a world map, Pikmin 4 features a hub area called the Rescue Command Post. In between days you can talk to crew members and castaways that will give you side quests or provide upgrades. For instance, the scientist Russ operates the Lab where you can buy useful gear with raw materials you've collected. The castaway Dalmo tasks you with finding creatures for the new and improved Piklopedia.

Screenshot-22.png

Pikmin 4 defines Dandori as "the art of organizing your tasks strategically and working efficiently to execute your plans." This has always been a core tenet of the Pikmin series, as each game is ultimately about finding the most productive way to use your Pikmin. The more you play, the more your Dandori skills will increase. Pikmin 4's lock-on feature and numerous quality-of-life improvements were implemented to streamline the Pikmin-handling process.

In the story mode you will sometimes encounter a mysterious red figure that bears a striking resemblance to Captain Olimar. He kidnaps castaways and challenges you to a Dandori Battle to retrieve them. To win the battle you must bring more objects and enemies back to your base than your opponent. There are also Dandori Challenges where a castaway tasks you with collecting all items in a level within a time limit. These missions are all about using your Pikmin and Oatchi in a productive manner.

Dandori Battles can be enjoyed with two players. Compete to see who has the better resource management skills!

Screenshot-24.png

This game has received glowing reviews, landing at an 87 on Metacritic. Here's a sample of what reviewers are saying:

IGN (9/10):
"Not all of it is as challenging as I’d have liked, but with twice as many enemy types and nearly four times the amount of hidden treasures I loved gathering in past games – along with its fantastic musical score, improved graphics, and next-level post-game content – I just couldn’t put it down until finishing everything it had to offer."

Eurogamer (5/5):
"It's a skillful evolution of a series which has been left feeling a little overlooked for too long. Is this Pikmin's true breakthrough moment? Who knows. But without a doubt it's one of Nintendo's best games in years."

Nintendo Life (9/10):
"Pikmin 4 is a sumptuous strategy adventure that serves up tons of fun for returning fans of the franchise whilst also adding lots to entice new players into giving it a try."

Game Informer (9/10):
"When it comes to iterating on the standard Pikmin gameplay established by the first release, Pikmin 4 is the smoothest, best-controlling, best-looking version, and all the additions are worthwhile and fun to play. The variety of tasks, which you can tackle in the order of your choice, prevents you from doing the same thing for too long, and I enjoyed saving other survivors and expanding my home base roster. Pikmin may never rise to the top of the Nintendo heap, and it’s probably unfair to expect it ever could, but the latest Pikmin is the best effort yet."

Screenshot-28.png

February Direct Trailer
June Direct Trailer
Overview Trailer
Review Thread (by @Josh5890)
Nintendo.com page (with demo link)
Ask the Developer interview with Nintendo staff about the creation of Pikmin 4 (and Pikmin in general)

Thanks to the Pikmin Wiki for providing easy access to Pikmin 4 info and official renders.

And lastly.....
dandoriissue.webp

Last edited:
It really just dawned on me that it was Tom Phillips from Eurogamer who originally reported that Pikmin 4 was close to completion several years ago :O

No wonder he gave it a 5/5!

Psyched to play this! I haven't played TotK in like over a week so I'm not even done with it, but that won't stop me lol. Plus Pikmin isn't the kind of game I play for hours on end, so looking forward to nights of ~hour of Pikmin followed by three hours of wrapping up Zelda. What a time to be alive

I need to complete the demo tonight so I can decide if I want to preorder it (since I'm picking up Pyra and Mythra amiibo tomorrow, might as well save a trip if I can).

Leaning towards yes so far, looks great.

I'm so excited for this game. Replaying 1 and 2 made me even more hyped for it. I'm glad to see the story mode take 20-30 hours to complete.

Strongly suspect this will be my favourite new Nintendo game this year, I'm very excited. Haven't even played the demo so my wife and I can go in fresh.

Best Buy says my order is ready to be picked up. Then I click it and it says 'Will be available tomorrow"

Curse you for teasing me Best Buy

From the IGN review:

While I can’t go into detail, I will say that the post-credits content in Pikmin 4 might just be the best the Pikmin series has ever delivered. In fact, Pikmin 4’s greatest folly is that it saves the best of its new tricks until you have completed the campaign’s first ending and seen the credits, because I would’ve liked to have dived right into all of these creative locations, met their bizarre inhabitants, and unlocked its homage to previous Pikmin games.

Folks, I think we have a winner here.

Maybe I missed something obvious, but, are the Challenge Modes returning in some way? The times 'try to get all the treasures at a good time/before time runs out' stuff?
Cuz those were super fun in the previous games, especially checking the Map after to see all your movements during the day c:

Maybe I missed something obvious, but, are the Challenge Modes returning in some way? The times 'try to get all the treasures at a good time/before time runs out' stuff?
Cuz those were super fun in the previous games, especially checking the Map after to see all your movements during the day c:
I believe that’s what Dandori Challenge is. They are playable in both story mode and multiplayer, just like the Dandori Battles.

edit: the challenges aren’t full multiplayer like the battles, just the assist multiplayer.

Last edited:
Adore the thread title.

Can't wait! Gonna knock out Pikmin 3 this evening (1 and 2 already down) and roll right into 4.

Now just to decide if I will carry over my demo progress or start from scratch...

Folks, I think we have a winner here.

I have a strong feeling (but haven't been spoiled) that there is some kind of day limit in reference to that "homage", fingers crossed.

Ultra Spicy similarly was unlocked after completion of 3 Deluxe....

When you were mario partying, I studied the piklopedia

When you were enjoying pre-release pokedex, I mastered dandori

While you wasted your days posting on famiboards in pursuit of yeahs!, I replayed pikmin 2 for some reason

Now that pikmin 4 isn't vapourware, you have the audacity to ask me to rescue olimar?

Really happy this game exists, wherever the series goes from here.

I recently played Pikmin 1 for the first time with the HD ports and was surprised how difficult I found it. I didn't finish it, but I definitely was not going to complete the ship parts within 30 days.

I also restarted Pikmin 3 Deluxe recently (pretty sure this is my 3rd or 4th playthrough) and I feel like I'm always surprised by how much I enjoy that game (outside of a few finicky puzzles that requires use of the three captains) it's a very tightly designed game.

I think the plethora of weird creature designs and how well they're animated is what really makes this series for me.

Last edited:
I believe that’s what Dandori Challenge is. They are playable in both story mode and multiplayer, just like the Dandori Battles.
Ooh, is Dandori Battles only against a 'player' (as in, CPU or real person)? So, none like the challenges in Pikmin 3, where you could do Co Op to play for Time/Metals)
That is a shame if so, even if I am sure Dandori Battles are still fun

Ooh, is Dandori Battles only against a 'player' (as in, CPU or real person)? So, none like the challenges in Pikmin 3, where you could do Co Op to play for Time/Metals)
That is a shame if so, even if I am sure Dandori Battles are still fun
There are two types of Dandori things, Battles and Challenges. Battles are against a CPU or player and Challenges are like the Missions of 3 that you're talking about. Both are part of the main campaign but can be replayed for higher scores

But yeah the Challenges don't have full co-op, only the assist style co-op the main game has

We've come a long way. A momentous occasion to say the least. I'm going in pretty much blind and I couldn't be more excited for tomorrow!

Poll should include “I’ve never played Pikmin before” so we can see how many are fresh blood (saplings?) like me

There are two types of Dandori things, Battles and Challenges. Battles are against a CPU or player and Challenges are like the Missions of 3 that you're talking about. Both are part of the main campaign but can be replayed for higher scores

But yeah the Challenges don't have full co-op, only the assist style co-op the main game has
Oooh, gotcha gotcha
That sounds good then. Thank you for the explanation. ^^
Shame on the not-full-CoOp thing, but glad it at least exists.

See you all in 2035 when Pikmin 5 releases.
I think there's a fair chance we'll see more regular Pikmins if Eighting is meant to be the Mercury Steam of Pikmin (aka did a port/remake first and then helped with a sequel)

Obviously depends on how 4 does, but Pikmin feels like something Nintendo wants to be bigger than it is

In people's experience, does Amazon usually deliver games early if the estimated delivery date is after the game's release date? I'm really bad at pre-ordering games super early and usually only order a day or two before, and I went to pre-order Pikmin 4 and somewhat unusually Amazon is showing a July 24th delivery date :( My amazon sometimes will underestimate their shipping speed though so I'm not suree

Might have to just cave and use a Voucher ticket

I can't wait.

I went ahead and did a 2nd faster demo run last night to act as the playthrough I'll load at midnight.
Been on the verge of doing this also lol.

The funny part is I'm still going to start a new file when I get the game...

Really curious and excited for whatever the postgame stuff turns out to be.

Mirror Gaming's review stated that half their total playtime with the game was due to the content available after the credits. It's also what bumped their rating up from 4 stars to 5.

My experience with pikmin is pretty strange.
I played pikmin 2 on the wii for the first time at launch and I didn't like it so I ignored the series for almost 10 years.
One day I decided to play pikmin 1 on the gamecube and I absolutely adored it, it's still my favourite pikmin game and my favourite gamecube game.
after that I gave a 2nd chance to pikmin 2 but still nothing, I just can't stand that game, so I just went straight to pikmin 3 which was also amazing but sadly I have it on the WiiU so i can't play it as much as i want.
For pikmin 4 I'm scared of not liking it as much as 1 and 3, it feels like a big change when I would have liked maybe a safer sequel, the amazing reviews tough are pretty tempting, I just hope it won't be a bayonetta 3 situation where the switch game is the lesser of the series.

When should it go live and let me play. I preorder and already downloaded. 12 est exactly?

Back
Top Bottom