• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pikmin 4 |ST| In Development and Very Close to Completion

What's your favorite Pikmin game before 4?

• Pikmin

Votes: 22 13.1%
  • Pikmin 2

Votes: 31 18.5%
  • Pikmin 3

Votes: 97 57.7%
  • Pikmin Bloom

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Hey! Pikmin (why would you pick this?)

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I’ve never played Pikmin before

Votes: 14 8.3%

• Total voters
I wouldn't worry about it. It's 3 other formidable games you're missing out on that have the same fun gameplay. I personally started with 3 and played 1 and 2 afterwards, obviously there are some things that work differently, but I still really enjoyed them. Definitely recommend them!
I'd say play all of them but you should at least try pikmin3 dx.
Thank you for the reponse!
I'll pick up Pikmin 3 Deluxe when I find it for a good price.

A question for veteran Pikmin-players:
I enjoyed Pikmin 4 a lot and often found myself not wanting to stop playing, which I don't often have with a video game.
I have never played any of the other 3 Pikmin games, so I'm thinking about trying those out on Switch.
Would you recommend them to me? I'm worried that they're too much of a downgrade in graphics, QOL and overall gameplay.
I had to make the same choice a couple of months ago, (though I had already played Pikmin 3 on WiiU but that was 10 years ago) and I decided to go in this order: 4->1->2->3DX. I STRONGLY encourage you to play them in order (1->2->3DX). 1 and 2 are going to be a bit hard at first due to the control differences, the dumb Pikmin AI and general QoL, but they are soooooo worth the effort. I also encourage you to try to beat 1 and 3DX several times to improve your day record, it's like a super-Dandori Challenge. Don't sleep on the missions of 3DX either, they're the peak of the series for me. If you liked the Dandori Challenges you will have a blast with them.

One little warning: When playing 1 and 2, you will need to micromanage a lot more. 4 has streamlined a lot of systems, but in the way it has also taken away many of the gameplay decisions that were behind them. This, along with the worse AI and QoL may at first make the games feel worse and clunkier than they really are, but once you understand how to properly manage your Pikmin it's actually awesome (and better than 4, IMHO!). Like I said, they are really worth the effort.

BTW, this is how I would rank the games: 3DX>1>4>2

Last edited:
I had to make the same choice a couple of months ago, (though I had already played Pikmin 3 on WiiU but that was 10 years ago) and I decided to go in this order: 4->1->2->3DX. I STRONGLY encourage you to play them in order (1->2->3DX). 1 and 2 are going to be a bit hard at first due to the control differences, the dumb Pikmin AI and general QoL, but they are soooooo worth the effort. I also encourage you to try to beat 1 and 3DX several times to improve your day record, it's like a super-Dandori Challenge. Also, don't sleep on the missions of 3DX, they're the peak of the series for me. If you liked the Dandori Challenges you will have a blast with them.

Also when playing 1 and 2, you will need to micromanage a lot more. 4 has streamlined a lot of systems, but in the way it has also taken away many of the gameplay decisions that were behind them. This, along with the worse AI and QoL may at first make the games feel worse and clunkier than they really are, but once you understand how to properly manage your Pikmin it's actually awesome (and better than 4, IMHO!). Like I said, they are really worth the effort.

BTW, this is how I would rank the games: 3DX>1>4>2
Thanks for the reponse!
I feel a lot less anxious now about trying the other Pikmin games.
I'll get the the physical versions of Pikmin 1+2 and Pikmin 3 DX when they get a discount to a good price and I'll play the one that gets a good discount first :p

Two months later I still can’t believe we have this game

I had to step away from it after hitting “end game” due to life and am getting back into it, and still prioritizing it over TOTK… wild to have to choose between my two top series and dream games.

My Pikmin tea towel from the My Nintendo rewards arrived today, and it's so cool! I wish there was more Pikmin merch available outside Japan, but on the other hand it'd probably turn my house into an onion stuffed full of Pikmin if that were the case

I 100%'d the game yesterday, played 39 hours in total.

This was my first Pikmin-game and overall it was a very fun game, some Dandori Challenges were quite difficult for me (and take me almost 10 tries to get a platinum medal), but none were impossibly difficult. I enjoyed this difficulty but was also happy that not every part of the game was difficult. For example, collecting treasures in one of the six areas was not difficult at all and very chill.
I also like that the game was often not punishing you if you failed, for example in the Cavern of a King you could leave the cave on certain sublevels instead of only being able to leave at the end.
So the game hit the sweet spot for me, and the Pikmin-series has a new fan :)

Version 1.0.2 patch just went live today

Ver. 1.0.2 (Released September 26, 2023)

• Bug Fixes (Applied after Reloading Save Data)
    If you experience any of the following issues, please download this update, then reload your save data from the file-selection screen.
    • Fixed an issue where some treasures would disappear when the player rewound time.
    • Fixed an issue where dialogue would fail to proceed when the player talked to castaways with side missions.
    • Fixed an issue where all characters would disappear from the Rescue Command Post.
    • Fixed an issue where the player would not have enough glow sap needed for treatment. (If the player doesn’t have enough glow sap as a result of this bug, their stock will be replenished with that amount at the end of the day.)
  • Other Bug Fixes
    • Fixed an issue where the player could significantly increase the number of Pikmin.
    • Fixed an issue where the player’s screen would remain dark after they skipped a cutscene.
    • Fixed an issue where some treasures would stop being transportable. (If the treasure was already in a state where it couldn’t be transported, it’ll return to its original position after three in-game days—then the player will be able to transport it.)
    • Fixed other issues to improve gameplay experience.
  • Regarding Loading Times
    • A progress bar has been added to loading screens so players can see progress on loading times. (For players who’ve purchased the digital version, loading times can be shortened by moving the software data to internal storage.)

DLC dream is probably dead, eh? Or if it still has a chance, when's the latest an update could be expected?

I'd give it til the next direct to say the dlc dream is probably dead, but I also wasn't really expecting dlc in the first place; Pikmin 4 felt like a game where they put everything they had into the main game and anything that would have been dlc has already been implemented (sorta like TotK)

That's just it, I'm not even a big proponent of DLC for the game, like I really feel it has the right amount of content and the perfect length that it doesn't overstay it's welcome.

Nevertheless...a small part of me was a little disappointed that nothing was even hinted at during the last Direct. I don't even know what form it would take, whether paid or free, but...yeah

Some sort of remix mode start Louie or the Koppaite trio(s) would make enough sense as either paid or free DLC, but I could also just see them pushing the new team to start making plans for the next title Instead.

If Eighting is sticking around as the go-to studio for Pikmin maybe we won’t even have to wait a decade.

Finished the game yesterday at close to 45 hours. I enjoyed my time with it a lot. The Dandori battles/challenges are great additions, and I like the caves more than I expected, considering my time with Pikmin 2 back in the day. Oatchi and Ice Pikmin are nice features, with Oatchi becoming nearly op at the end after all the training.
What I find a bit annoying are the lock-on of objects, which is emphasized in the Dandori challenges, and the overtly talkative tutorials. The music is also a
let-down coming from 3. Don't know what happened there.

The main story isn't really hard, but the post credit content ramps up the difficulty quite a lot. So much so that I needed to rewind several sublevels in the last cave and the last night mission. The last boss and that creature during the night missions were the only times I lost all Pikmin. I did not bother to get platinum medals in all Dandori challenges. It became exhausting doing them over and over again at the end.

Overall, a surprising amount of content, with very few low points. Best Pikmin game for me.

I think this game is too big for DLC as is. Even if they did have any planned for it, I can't see it being anything other than more Dandori.
They could at least give us more battle stages, since Dandori Battle is still starved for content and replayability compared to Bingo Battle. It’s great that there’s already so much single player content, but it seems to have come at the expense of multiplayer content, sadly…

Version 1.0.2 patch just went live today

Ver. 1.0.2 (Released September 26, 2023)

• Bug Fixes (Applied after Reloading Save Data)
    If you experience any of the following issues, please download this update, then reload your save data from the file-selection screen.
    • Fixed an issue where some treasures would disappear when the player rewound time.
    • Fixed an issue where dialogue would fail to proceed when the player talked to castaways with side missions.
    • Fixed an issue where all characters would disappear from the Rescue Command Post.
    • Fixed an issue where the player would not have enough glow sap needed for treatment. (If the player doesn’t have enough glow sap as a result of this bug, their stock will be replenished with that amount at the end of the day.)
  • Other Bug Fixes
    • Fixed an issue where the player could significantly increase the number of Pikmin.
    • Fixed an issue where the player’s screen would remain dark after they skipped a cutscene.
    • Fixed an issue where some treasures would stop being transportable. (If the treasure was already in a state where it couldn’t be transported, it’ll return to its original position after three in-game days—then the player will be able to transport it.)
    • Fixed other issues to improve gameplay experience.
  • Regarding Loading Times
    • A progress bar has been added to loading screens so players can see progress on loading times. (For players who’ve purchased the digital version, loading times can be shortened by moving the software data to internal storage.)

DLC dream is probably dead, eh? Or if it still has a chance, when's the latest an update could be expected?
Lol adding a progress bar to loading screens is odd but alright!

Edit: returning to this for post game, I am wishing there was some sort of a timer that pushed you through things per area at least, letting you return for completion. As is I’ve always been cleaning up the whole overworld, then doing caves in a separate day. My own fault for playing that way perhaps, but I can’t help it lol.

I’m also not a fan of consumables being purchased- additional ones would be fine but I’d prefer balanced ones still be baked into the levels (eg. Bomb walls)

Last edited:
How do you unlock the winter level? I've done pretty much everything in the game but I haven't found it yet.
I don't think there is one in this game. Which areas do you have unlocked currently?

The only Pikmin games with winter areas are Pikmin 2 and Pikmin 3

I have been in quite a Pikmin-craze for the last few months. I think it was well deserved, having a new game after so many years!

I really liked Pikmin 4. It had many new ideas which helped make the game feel very fresh (even if you can't really say that it needed much more than existing for fans to be happy :D). And I really enjoyed the return of the caves.

After finishing it, I borrowed Pikmin 3 Deluxe from a friend. I had not played the game since it came out on Wii U (I didn't have the DLC either) and I was really surprised of all the content the game has! I think I have spent more time with the timed missions, Olimar's story, etc. than with the main story! If someone here has not played the Switch version, I definitely recommend it.

These last months I have made some Pimin related shopping too. Here you have some spoiler-tagged photos (to prove that I was not lying about the craze!)

My house is full of Pikmin!

CyfDGSh.jpeg

Ws9FYfN.jpeg

iMnZYdN.jpeg

I have been in quite a Pikmin-craze for the last few months. I think it was well deserved, having a new game after so many years!

I really liked Pikmin 4. It had many new ideas which helped make the game feel very fresh (even if you can't really say that it needed much more than existing for fans to be happy :D). And I really enjoyed the return of the caves.

After finishing it, I borrowed Pikmin 3 Deluxe from a friend. I had not played the game since it came out on Wii U (I didn't have the DLC either) and I was really surprised of all the content the game has! I think I have spent more time with the timed missions, Olimar's story, etc. than with the main story! If someone here has not played the Switch version, I definitely recommend it.

These last months I have made some Pimin related shopping too. Here you have some spoiler-tagged photos (to prove that I was not lying about the craze!)

My house is full of Pikmin!

CyfDGSh.jpeg

Ws9FYfN.jpeg

iMnZYdN.jpeg
That Pikmin clock is mad cute. Is it also official merch and where from?

The Pikmin 4 cloth was a MyNintendo reward. The smaller hand cloth is from the Nintendo Tokyo Store.

All of it is official merch from the Nintendo Tokyo Store! :)
Were you able to order online, or did you have to import via a third party?

As far as I know, you can't buy from overseas. I was lucky that a friend living in Japan could get them for me.
Damn 😢 Well, guess I'll do what I can to try and order one for myself the most cost effective way imaginable lol. Heavenforbid the good collectible stuff is actually made available in North America 😒

Yeah, sorry for the bad news :( Let's hope they will change their minds and make them available in all the world!

I’ve finally beaten the game right now (the “true ending”) and just wanted to say that this is an incredible game all the way through, it’s so good that the minor problems I have are kind of insignificant in comparison to the insane quality of the game, and I still need to do some stuff for 100%; it’s the best pikmin game ever and just one of the best switch games (also the best looking game on the system). It’s making me want to go back and replay all other pikmin games. Dandori

And with 40 hours I’ve finally 100%ed the game. It’s such a strange feeling when you play a game and you start to realize that you’re playing a modern classic, one of the finest videogame ever made and one of Nintendo’s best. It’s also strange for a series to peak at the 4th title, I expected the game to be good but I was scared of the new changes and choices, I wanted a new simple pikmin game like 1 and 3 but it felt like they were going for a more quantity over quality approach similar to 2 and I was scared that it would be another release on the switch where it would’ve been better for me to just play the previous entries (like smt V or Bayo 3).
Of course all of my fear have been annihilated as Pikmin 4 easily takes the crown of best Pikmin game, a huge game that never deeps in quality, with so many amazing moment that feels like the perfect combination of pikmin 1 and 2. This game balances the calm exploration of this gorgeous world with the more frenetic micromanaging incredibly well while also experimenting with a new gameplay style (the night section aka tower defence mode) extremely well, when you start to get tired of the exploration you can go for platinum medals in dandori challenges or start doing night expeditions as a change of pace, and of course the caves which blow pikmin 2 out of the stratosphere and hold some of the best gameplay section of the series (the final cave easily one of the best final dungeons ever).
And to top it all off the olimar shipwreck tale was the simple micromanaging Pikmin experience that I wanted added to this already giant game, this is just too much goodness for a single game, there’s nothing like the dopamine rush in pikmin when you complete multiple tasks right on time and this game gives me a ton of this moment thanks to the dandori challenges and olimar tale while also giving me a more relaxed exploration type game, there’s too much goodness in this game.
I also enjoyed the music quite a lot even if some people criticized it, I liked the more laid back atmospheric tunes while playing and for the more melodic classic pikmin music well the olimar mode has those too with the amazing remixed themes more reminiscent of the first games (serenes shore remix theme being easily my favorite music in the game and maybe series).
I enjoyed even the story, yeah they’re going for the cheap route of using the doggy as your main point of interest but i’m not made of stone, I love Oatchi and if he’s suffering then of course I want to save him, it’s a doggy focused story and you can’t criticize it.
Even the characters I ended up really liking, they never shut up at the start which was a problem but after a bit of time they start growing on you and in the end you start to feel a strong sense of community with all of them, also Louie is history’s greatest monster.
Pikmin 4 is a masterpiece and I could keep talking about it for hours, the best looking game on the switch together with an incredible atmosphere, top of the line gameplay and level design and a cute doggy, I really don’t know what else you could want from a game. I really want pikmin 5 but I don’t know how they could top this game.

Last edited:
I really want pikmin 5 but I don’t know how they could top this game.
Never count Nintendo out! I'm sure they'll find a way. One idea I had was that they could pick a vastly different setting. Perhaps a beachside resort, or an amusement park!

And to top it all off the olimar shipwreck tale was the simple Pikmin experience that I wanted added to this already giant game
They could also include more stuff like this!

and for the more melodic classic pikmin music well the olimar mode has those too with the amazing remixed themes more reminiscent of the first games (serenes shore remix theme being easily my favorite music in the game and maybe series).
Ah, a man of taste I see…

Glad you liked it!! It really is such a special game.

The Hey Pikmin! amiibo is for sale on Nintendo's USA online store. That amiibo can be quite expensive so if you want it, it's around $25 for cheapest shipping.

However that's not all this post is about. Now why are they selling the Pikmin amiibo again? The only game is works with on Switch is Smash Ultimate, and it just gives you a Spirit. I find it hard to believe Nintendo is charging $15.99 for a figurine that gives you a PNG, so I think they're preparing for something Pikmin related. Maybe a free update which brings amiibo support and then later DLC for Pikmin 4?

Back
Top Bottom