• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pikmin 4 |ST| In Development and Very Close to Completion

What's your favorite Pikmin game before 4?

• Pikmin

Votes: 22 13.1%
  • Pikmin 2

Votes: 31 18.5%
  • Pikmin 3

Votes: 97 57.7%
  • Pikmin Bloom

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Hey! Pikmin (why would you pick this?)

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I’ve never played Pikmin before

Votes: 14 8.3%

• Total voters
Jesus christ, people were not kidding about One Fell Jump

I barely beat it after like an hour of trying, who the heck signed off on this

I'm really glad I'm settling for only getting the plat for regular Dandori challenges now

I have to stop early tonight in the middle of the final dungeon and since I have everything else 100% done when I’m done it’s over. Excited to wrap it up tomorrow, but it’s definitely bittersweet too. This was a fantastic game and easily one of my favorites of the year. It’s such a full experience I don’t expect DLC, but I’d happily take more.

Finally beat the final boss. I was floored by the sheer genius fun behind it, and the damn thing actualy killed me like five times! You know it has that Nintendo vibe when something manages to be intimidating and hilarious at the same time.
Still not done, but can easily say this was a highlight of the Switch for me, fantastic game, made me a fan of the series and I'll try to play the previous ones as soon as possible.

Me: it's the dead of the night but I can probably finish up those mysterious cave challenges if I don't aim for the plat

One Fell Jump: Haha no

Already feeling overwhelmed with Olimar’s Shipwreck Tale, all because of the 15 day limit. I hate time limits! I’ll try to power through though. One thing that’s confusing me is that I can’t seem to produce Yellow Pikmin? I have the Yellow Onion, I feed it yellow pellets, I still get red.
You're supposed to rewind and redo days better with the information you've learned on your previous attempt(s). I believe that's the intended gameplay loop

100% done now. Great final boss and I’m walking away extremely satisfied overall. Awesome game.

As it is one of the game's strongest points, I was wondering what everyone's favourite enemy was.

For me, it's definitely the Horned Cannon Beetle:

FULL-Horned_Cannon_Beetle.jpg

It's design is so awsome, I really like the texture on the shell as well

SCREW One Fell Jump. I was planning to plat the challenges to finish off Pikmin 4 but I might leave that at gold out of SPITE.

You're supposed to rewind and redo days better with the information you've learned on your previous attempt(s)
Might do that for a replay. I did manage to finish up that mode even with all the time I wasted haha.

it's definitely the Horned Cannon Beetle
I don’t think I’ve seen all the enemies yet, but this is a great pick. It’s hard to choose! I’m torn between the moldy Bulblax with its charmingly vacant undead look, the majestic beard of the electrifying Armprat, the gangly proportions of oceanic horror Grubchucker, and the whatever the heck is going on with Mamuta.

I just came across Olimar’s sidequest. It’s like half the content of Pikmin 1 alone and provides a comparable experience to the original in many ways. Whoever tried arguing that Pikmin 4 didn’t have a significant amount of more content than the other games is kidding themselves.

Glad this thread is upholding the well known fact of law which has stood the test of time that more content = better
Which is why Pikmin 3 still beats Pikmin 4 when it comes to multiplayer, sadly. (Though I’m not agreeing that more content always equals better, ‘cause I certainly don’t believe that to be true in all cases, lol.)

Really though, I’ve finally been able to play a decent amount of Dandori Battle matches with my partner now, and it pains me to say that this mode just can’t hold a candle to Pikmin 3’s Bingo Battle… Not only does it have half as many stages as Bingo Battle, but it’s more limited overall in addition to that; the stages themselves are way smaller, you can’t have more than one type of Pikmin, and you can’t even view the map!

I don’t understand… Dandori Battle could’ve been so great. =( Really hoping the game gets some updates or DLC to further flesh out the mode, though unless some fundamental things are changed there’s no way it’s gonna be able to top Bingo Battle…

The olimar stuff was really done well cause I think it gives a real sense of urgency. More so than Pikmin 1 if I have to be honest. My only complaint is that I noticed this side quest too late.

Nerrel just came out with his review for the game and gave it a low(ish) score mainly because he thinks the pikmin AI is really bad and that the auto lock pretty much makes the game unplayable. Not one of his better reviews imo

Nerrel just came out with his review for the game and gave it a low(ish) score mainly because he thinks the pikmin AI is really bad and that the auto lock pretty much makes the game unplayable. Not one of his better reviews imo
uhhh if the Pikmin ai in this game is bad then what does that make the other games?

As it is one of the game's strongest points, I was wondering what everyone's favourite enemy was.

For me, it's definitely the Horned Cannon Beetle:

FULL-Horned_Cannon_Beetle.jpg

It's design is so awsome, I really like the texture on the shell as well
I like the weird, blue, tall three legged crab thing that shows up in Olimar’s campaign and the sixth area for new enemies. Biggest “what the heck is that?” feeling for me haha.

uhhh if the Pikmin ai in this game is bad then what does that make the other games?
3's was definitely better outside of a few bells and whistles like them not following you into water now if it will drown them. Though I'd say it's less that the AI in general got worse and more that the pathfinding got worse and the AI just got overconfident. I'm whistling them like I'm trying to pull a dog away from something now, they really want to do what they want to do.

Edit: Having watched the review, that was way more generous than it was characterized as. Aside from the section complaining about the control and Pikmin behavior issues (which was 100% correct), it was more positive than I would have been. And I didn't even dislike the game, I would have probably scored it exactly the same if I were using a ten point scale (I think Nerrel's scores are on some arbitrary made up scale of Tingles, technically).

Last edited:
Oh my god, my final playtime was 40 freaking hours. What an incredibly meaty Pikmin game

Overall I had a fantastic time with this game, it's competing with Zelda for GOTY. I have some misgivings about how Oatchi greatly simplifies everything, but that doesn't change how wonderful it is to be in this world again, and hopefully the wait for the next Pikmin game isn't nearly as long

Also:
wtf did I just fight a Pokemon (a Mabostiff with way too many types of moves at that)

The end leaves me with more lore questions than Miyamoto cares to answer, but things sure took a bit of an interesting turn with an Earth dog showing up.

Also, Louie's Treasure comments are hilarious.

I know people told me not to aim for the plats in the mysterious cave but I needed to rage at something, so I did. Still missing a couple of them but I’m fine leaving those for later. Well, maybe I’ll leave One Fell Jump alone out of spite. It doesn’t deserve to be platinumed.

Oh my god, my final playtime was 40 freaking hours. What an incredibly meaty Pikmin game

Overall I had a fantastic time with this game, it's competing with Zelda for GOTY. I have some misgivings about how Oatchi greatly simplifies everything, but that doesn't change how wonderful it is to be in this world again, and hopefully the wait for the next Pikmin game isn't nearly as long

Also:
wtf did I just fight a Pokemon (a Mabostiff with way too many types of moves at that)

The end leaves me with more lore questions than Miyamoto cares to answer, but things sure took a bit of an interesting turn with an Earth dog showing up.

Also, Louie's Treasure comments are hilarious.
the sirehound isn't an earth dog, he still only has two legs. Olimar describes him as an ancestor of space dogs. We actually get several pictures of Earth dogs as treasure and....they look exactly like regular dogs

Last edited:
I purposely didn’t follow the pre release of this game too much but am kinda shocked how different it is. Nintendo has really embraced the post BotW “let’s reimagine the game” - I miss some of what is gone from 3, most of all the juice (but also understand why it’s dropped), really like the two perspectives above/below ground - again BotW theme but basically some of the caves are just Pikmin version of shrines.

I like that the ice Pikmin are so useful but also you might lose out by destroying an enemy rather than getting that useful dead corpse.

So far very positive.

So I've gotten sun speckled terrace and blossoming Arcadia up to 99 percent, it says I'm missing a treasure in each but I've done all the caves and other challenges.

I've gotten oatchi to track the treasure on the map but he leads me to a place where there is no treasure, I've tried to throw picking all around the spot but there's nothing to dig up. What am I missing?

Last edited:
the sirehound isn't an earth dog, he still only has two legs. Olimar describes him as an ancestor of space dogs. We actually get several pictures of Earth dogs as treasure and....they look exactly like regular dogs
I was about to go "well that just gives me MORE questions" but then it hit me: the Leafling Sage.

The Sirehound could be his dog, having arrived on Earth a long time ago. It got bigger from living there for a long time (Oatchi grew literally overnight, Moss is bigger than Oatchi, so if we take that to its extreme...), it avoided getting Leafling'd by eating glow sap like the Koppaites did, and Moss must be its puppy (so there has to be more than one of them?). It kinda adds up

The elemental superpowers are still a question mark, but maybe it mutated after eating tons of Pikmin or Onions over time
So I've gotten sun speckled terrace and blossoming Arcadia up to 99 percent, it says I'm missing a treasure in each but I've done all the caves and other challenges.

I've gotten oatchi to track the treasure on the map but he leads me to a place where there is no treasure, I've tried to throw picking all around the spot but there's nothing to dig up. What am I missing?
Don't just check by your feet, try throwing Pikmin on top of something nearby

It's honestly less a reimagining of the series like BotW and more so just a large hybrid of the first 3 games.
it’s more like the SMB3 or ALttP of the series than the BotW, imo. Pikmin didn’t need its BotW moment. It just needed a game that was more fleshed out and really blended a number of gaming mechanics and systems together to make more of a full fledged experience. Just started with some of the sage trials. They are actually fairly challenging which is a nice change of pace.

Me: I should finish up Pikmin 4 so I can finally move on to mecha goodness Armored Core 6

Also me: (gulp) What do you mean the Piklopedia and Treasure Catalog has additonal entries for each and every item/monster, penned by Olimar? (spends a huge chunk of time reading Pikmin-pedia)

Replayed Pikmin 3. It does seem longer I think because of a couple things. First, the day cycle is longer. Second I feel there is a level of difficulty present that isn’t in 4. Lastly, the DLC is more challenging overall. Overall, it feels like I put more time into Pikmin 3.

Halfway through the percent completion of the Giant's Hearth area. It's been a delight, I love that it's themed around an outdoor barbecue spot. One of the treasures is even a skewer of morsels!

I can’t wait to get back to this in a few short weeks - first I put totk aside for this, and then I put this aside for life matters.

Anyhow, swinging by to say that the previously Nintendo NYC exclusive Pikmin merch is now on the Nintendo Store, likely thanks to it being available at Nintendo Live (Seattle / PAX West)

I had some of this shipped to me by a friend in NYC, specifically these three items which I’m super happy with the quality of.

This shirt is embroidered beautifully

This keychain is so fun

The pins are nice, I went with just blue to start but now am tempted to get the rest…

Wait a minute

There’s another whole area after Giant’s Hearth?! I thought I was about to be done lol. Guess I shall continue to dandori for the weekend.

Quick update: Ever since Pikmin 4 launched I haven't stopped playing anything but Pikmin games. I've beaten P4 once, P1 3 or 4 times, P2 once (but not completely because I hate caves) but P3 is where I'm really sinking my time into.

Apart of the missions, where I've been pushing mysef for better times even after I platinumed all of them, I've beaten the story in Normal, Hard and am about to finish UltraScipy. This last run has been amazing: The game limits your Pikmin to 60 so the levels feel completely different. I'm also trying to beat all the story beats in as few days as possible, so my juice gauge is constantly on the limit and it makes things much more interesting. Now I have to plan on how to unlock the onion in each map, reach the boss, kill it and transport it's body and the macguffin it drops to the ship, while also trying to get some fruit (oh and fruits drop much less juice now, so some medium-sized pieces won't even yield a ration!). Then, before facing the final boss, I have to return to each level and try to get all the pending fruits in a single day. I've discovered a new appreciation for the level design in this game, it's incredibly well done: All levels mix several instances where you have to use more than one captain, but if you're clever you may get by with 2 captains instead of 3 in some of them thanks to some really awesome level design. I love the flow when you're sending 2 captains to opposite sides of the map, then the 3rd one helps the first, moves to the seconds' position and helps them as well, then goes off to do his own stuff while the other 2 reconvene at a different point to tackle another obstacle together, everything while switching Pikmin between them, directly or indirectly. Like when you leave some Pikmin digging for bombs and then another captain passes through there and uses the bombs to take care of a boss or destroy a wall instead of wasting time breaking it with Pikmin. The 60 Pikmin limit is amazing because it forces you to think about this stuff: You can't take 30 reds to destroy a wall and leave them there for a while because you could be using 20 pinks and 10 yellows elsewhere.

Once I finish my Ultraspicy run I might try a new Normal run, just to see how much I can cut down my original record now :)

I love this game but in some very crucial moments in Dandori challenges the lock-on becomes complete ass. Just lost a 6 minute challenge by 1 point because Oatchi couldn't target the right object for his life with 20 seconds left

I was about to go "well that just gives me MORE questions" but then it hit me: the Leafling Sage.

The Sirehound could be his dog, having arrived on Earth a long time ago. It got bigger from living there for a long time (Oatchi grew literally overnight, Moss is bigger than Oatchi, so if we take that to its extreme...), it avoided getting Leafling'd by eating glow sap like the Koppaites did, and Moss must be its puppy (so there has to be more than one of them?). It kinda adds up

The elemental superpowers are still a question mark, but maybe it mutated after eating tons of Pikmin or Onions over time

Don't just check by your feet, try throwing Pikmin on top of something nearby
Yeah this was it, had an item on top of a ledge I needed to throw yellow pikin at, the other was just buried somewhere and I kissed it despite oatchis tracking, thanks

You know, I was disappointed with Dalmo's saccharine Piklopedia entries, so thank heavens Olimar's tries to sound scientific. Got a kick out of the Doodlebug "expelling dangerous gases such as methane and hydrogen sulfide." That means human farts are lethal to little space people and Pikmin.

Okay so I’m like 90% sure I am at the legit final part of the game. Found the veterinarian, unlocked a cave, and based on the completion percentage there has to be a LOT of stuff down there.

Finally done! Explored all the areas, cured Oatchi and rescued Louie, who didn’t seem to actually want to leave his gourmet paradise. He wasn’t even buzzing from leafization, he was just an inconsiderate jerk.

Other notes: final boss was super fun! Also got the plat for all the challenges, except that one level that simply does not deserve more of my time.

Finally done! Explored all the areas, cured Oatchi and rescued Louie, who didn’t seem to actually want to leave his gourmet paradise. He wasn’t even buzzing from leafization, he was just an inconsiderate jerk.

Other notes: final boss was super fun! Also got the plat for all the challenges, except that one level that simply does not deserve more of my time.
One fell jump?

Clearly my One Fell Jump platinum I got on my first try was dumb luck. I was so confused reading all the impressions hear about it, but then I tried it again and couldn’t get close.

Clearly my One Fell Jump platinum I got on my first try was dumb luck. I was so confused reading all the impressions hear about it, but then I tried it again and couldn’t get close.
Same, but I squeezed through with a silver first try

I started the game on Saturday and finished the story yesterday evening, I think that I'm almost at 20 hours in at this point.
For some reason the game is hard to put down once you start playing it, I don't know why.
In my opinion it is in the top 10 games available on the Nintendo Switch.

So, when is Pikmin 5 releasing? I'll be done with 100%'ing the game in a week at this pace, but I need more dandori...

Also, I never played a Pikmin game before and was VERY pleasantly surprised by the Engulfed Castle.

I did not expect something like the waterwraith to appear at all, because up until then you were able to freely complete every cave at your own pace (that was the case for at least 5 caves before the Engulfed Castle).
But then when the waterwraith appeared, realising it one-hit kills you or your Pikmin and the terrifying music, I got quite scared and even shouted at my screen once (I never do this btw).
I was watching my back the whole time while completing the Engulfed Castle, I was so nervous.

But the final sublevel is what made the Engulfed Castle VERY good in my opinion.
Because when you make it to the final sublevel, the waterwraith has been chasing you on every sublevel so far and you have had no way to defeat it. So by this point I assumed it was an unkillable enemy in the game.
Then you unlock a new Pikmin type, the purple Pikmin, which is a very nice surprise! I love more Pikmin!
Also it can carry 10x more than other Pikmin? That is super handy!!
But what's even better is that you then find out that the purple Pikmin is able to do damage to the waterwraith! Wow! You can actually kill it! Another surprise!
Finally, you kill it and you feel like you're the best gamer the world has ever seen, because you killed the waterwraith.

There were many genuine surprises for me in this cave, such a great great level.

Yesterday afternoon I started on Olimar's Shipwreck Tale, since it was one of the few things I had left before 100%'ing the game.
I cleared it quite quickly but it was really fun! I enjoyed that this time I did not have to explore every nook and cranny of every area.

After this I started on the Trail of the Sage Leaf and I figured I would need to complete each level with a platinum medal to finish the sidequest for which you need to complete every Dandori Challenge with a platinum medal...
So I went and I finished it in a couple of hours with a platinum medal in each level and was really proud of myself!
Just to find out later that it does not count towards that sidequest and you get no other reward for having all platinum medals on the Trial of the Sage Leaf...

Yesterday afternoon I started on Olimar's Shipwreck Tale, since it was one of the few things I had left before 100%'ing the game.
I cleared it quite quickly but it was really fun! I enjoyed that this time I did not have to explore every nook and cranny of every area.

After this I started on the Trail of the Sage Leaf and I figured I would need to complete each level with a platinum medal to finish the sidequest for which you need to complete every Dandori Challenge with a platinum medal...
So I went and I finished it in a couple of hours with a platinum medal in each level and was really proud of myself!
Just to find out later that it does not count towards that sidequest and you get no other reward for having all platinum medals on the Trial of the Sage Leaf...
Atleast I'm a certified Dandori Master now, I guess that counts for something...

A question for veteran Pikmin-players:
I enjoyed Pikmin 4 a lot and often found myself not wanting to stop playing, which I don't often have with a video game.
I have never played any of the other 3 Pikmin games, so I'm thinking about trying those out on Switch.
Would you recommend them to me? I'm worried that they're too much of a downgrade in graphics, QOL and overall gameplay.

I enjoyed Pikmin 4 a lot and often found myself not wanting to stop playing, which I don't often have with a video game.
I have never played any of the other 3 Pikmin games, so I'm thinking about trying those out on Switch.
Would you recommend them to me? I'm worried that they're too much of a downgrade in graphics, QOL and overall gameplay.
I wouldn't worry about it. It's 3 other formidable games you're missing out on that have the same fun gameplay. I personally started with 3 and played 1 and 2 afterwards, obviously there are some things that work differently, but I still really enjoyed them. Definitely recommend them!

I'd say play all of them but you should at least try pikmin3 dx.

Back
Top Bottom