• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Pikmin 4 |ST| In Development and Very Close to Completion

What's your favorite Pikmin game before 4?

• Pikmin

Votes: 22 13.1%
  • Pikmin 2

Votes: 31 18.5%
  • Pikmin 3

Votes: 97 57.7%
  • Pikmin Bloom

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Hey! Pikmin (why would you pick this?)

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I’ve never played Pikmin before

Votes: 14 8.3%

• Total voters
I need dlc for this like yesterday. The game was way too short.
Would love DLC but wouldn't call the game short.

If anything, I find it a bit too long - took 35 hours to complete everything without going out of my way for platinums. As much as I enjoyed the game I definitely started flagging towards the end.

After rescuing my ... lemme count ... 23rd castaway (including 5 cured leaflings) i ... i just gotta ask ...

How can these little people be an advanced, space-traveling species when no one, really absolutely not a single one of them, is able to land a god damned spaceship without crashing so hard that even Ducktales' Launchpad McQuack would be jealous and ashamed?

How?

On top, why is everyone, from a hair stylist, to a freaking school class, having the opinion that a dangerous, hostile planet is a good traveling location?

Did these people evolve from Lemmings?

The rescue crews landing spot feels like a freaking county fair with how many people are loafing around there!

Also, why is my player character, and the dog, the only ones from the rescue crew actually working?
Lazy bums, lazy.

If they sell packs for new Dandori challenges I will buy them no questions asked, those things are like crack to me

Would love DLC but wouldn't call the game short.

If anything, I find it a bit too long - took 35 hours to complete everything without going out of my way for platinums. As much as I enjoyed the game I definitely started flagging towards the end.
Felt short to me. I play these games with my wife and we breezed through it.

Felt short to me. I play these games with my wife and we breezed through it.
Did you do everything? I'm really scratching my head here. After the credits roll you have...
a two-hour secondary campaign, ten brutal challenge stages, two new regions with 100+ treasures and multiple caves, and all of the night expeditions to cap it off.
Short is one of the words I would least use to describe Pikmin 4.

I finished the game with 100% treasures, night missions, and castaways last night. I also beat all the sage trials, even though I did not platinum everything. All in all, it took me just over 40 hours. One of the highlights of 2023 so far. Pikmin 4 is a fantastic game!

Did you do everything? I'm really scratching my head here. After the credits roll you have...
a two-hour secondary campaign, ten brutal challenge stages, two new regions with 100+ treasures and multiple caves, and all of the night expeditions to cap it off.
Not to mention that the base campaign has more than enough content on its own. I’m 70% through three of the areas and 30% through the 4th, and I have ~12 hours of play time already. Pikmin 4 has a crazy amount of content.

We have 100% and platinum everything. It is what it is. Maybe I’m greedy. I just love the Pikmin gameplay so much. I can’t get enough of it.

We have 100% and platinum everything. It is what it is. Maybe I’m greedy. I just love the Pikmin gameplay so much. I can’t get enough of it.
Have you played the past games? I think the reason why people are surprised by your comment is that the first 3, especially 1 and 3, are WAY shorter than 4. I was honestly kind of shocked how long it was. But I would also still love more same as you lol.

After rescuing my ... lemme count ... 23rd castaway (including 5 cured leaflings) i ... i just gotta ask ...

How can these little people be an advanced, space-traveling species when no one, really absolutely not a single one of them, is able to land a god damned spaceship without crashing so hard that even Ducktales' Launchpad McQuack would be jealous and ashamed?

How?

On top, why is everyone, from a hair stylist, to a freaking school class, having the opinion that a dangerous, hostile planet is a good traveling location?

Did these people evolve from Lemmings?

The rescue crews landing spot feels like a freaking county fair with how many people are loafing around there!

Also, why is my player character, and the dog, the only ones from the rescue crew actually working?
Lazy bums, lazy.
someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall there was some kind of tease in Pikmin 3 hinting that all the crash landings might not be accidents but instead caused by something/someone on the planet.

If I'm not making that up, then it's kind of a bummer 4 didn't follow up on that thread. I'd guess it was maybe part of the scrapped Pikmin 4 that was "nearing completion" way back when.

someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall there was some kind of tease in Pikmin 3 hinting that all the crash landings might not be accidents but instead caused by something/someone on the planet.

If I'm not making that up, then it's kind of a bummer 4 didn't follow up on that thread. I'd guess it was maybe part of the scrapped Pikmin 4 that was "nearing completion" way back when.
It's from 3's true ending if you get all of the fruits. "However, one question remains: what was the cause of the accident that sent the S.S. Drake hurtling to PNF-404's surface? Perhaps, it wasn't an accident after all."

It's odd, 4 initially seems self-aware that all these crash landings are strange, it was even in the marketing. But then the game never actually ends up addressing it at all. Maybe next time???

Have you played the past games? I think the reason why people are surprised by your comment is that the first 3, especially 1 and 3, are WAY shorter than 4. I was honestly kind of shocked how long it was. But I would also still love more same as you lol.
3 felt a lot longer to me because of DLC. I just blow through these games. I need like 100 hour campaign, minimum.

It's from 3's true ending if you get all of the fruits. "However, one question remains: what was the cause of the accident that sent the S.S. Drake hurtling to PNF-404's surface? Perhaps, it wasn't an accident after all."

It's odd, 4 initially seems self-aware that all these crash landings are strange, it was even in the marketing. But then the game never actually ends up addressing it at all. Maybe next time???
the biggest disappointment in 4 is that it seemed to cast aside all the odd lore from past games. Suddenly we're not millions of years removed from humanity, we're in a normal, present day house. No weird alien monstrosities other than the one that was just a direct reference to the same thing in 2, Olimar seemed to act like this was his first time here, etc. The closest the game gets is what's turning people into leaf-beings, and it never really treats it like some deep mystery nor does it try to explain it.

the biggest disappointment in 4 is that it seemed to cast aside all the odd lore from past games. Suddenly we're not millions of years removed from humanity, we're in a normal, present day house. No weird alien monstrosities other than the one that was just a direct reference to the same thing in 2, Olimar seemed to act like this was his first time here, etc. The closest the game gets is what's turning people into leaf-beings, and it never really treats it like some deep mystery nor does it try to explain it.
The lore is actually surprisingly intact, which makes the seeming attempt at a reboot all the stranger. Even the leaf people thing is actually taken directly from the bad ending of the original game. Pretty much everything established about the universe in the past games holds true here, except certain events from the previous games are implied to have not happened yet or happened slightly differently or something. They more or less cover all of it in 4 anyway, so I don't know why they seem to be starting the plot over. They removed zero baggage for newcomers and just made it confusing for existing fans.

The house is something a lot of people seem to get hung up on for some reason. The Glutton's Kitchen in 2 also took place in a house, complete with fresh fried eggs and lunch meat on plates to collect. Pikmin games have always had this thing where it's obviously earth and humans are absent, but there are mysteriously pristine man-made structures everywhere. 4 is just much more in your face about the setting than the past games, and kind of reverses the usual balance of domestic and wilderness environments.

Glutton%27s_Kitchen.jpg

Kudos to them for making the Empress Bulblax actually tricky in this one. Well, not quite her, but rather the combination of her and her young lol

All it took was making the larvae less aggressive. Even though they don't actively pursue you anymore and they seem to require a handful more milliseconds to swallow each Pikmin, the fact that they can go away means that they can return to the point where the Pikmin are attacking their mother, making their landing spot after you call them back very dangerous. You ought to outmaneuver them ASAP, and that's very cool.

Nothing that a bunch of bombs can't solve, but it took me some four times before I nailed it like I wanted.

Favorite boss so far, curious because I hate the Empress in 2.

Alright, getting back into the swing of things. I polished off the last few % I needed to 100% the second area, then went to explore the third. Lost 30 Pikmin to the scorpion thing, which stings. 10 of those were Ice Pikmin too, and as far as I can tell I can only get those from caves. So double sting! It was my fault for messing up though.

I’ve also done one night expedition and uhh I would play an entire game like this, honestly. Is there any point in repeating the missions?

Recently started playing Pikmin 2 for the first time in years. Enjoying my time with it. I having a real muscle memory issue though. So you know how Pikmin 4 is cool about letting you map different functions to the D-Pad? Well, when playing through Pikmin 4, I mapped "Disband All" to the D-Pad Down. Now, guess what incredibly valuable item is mapped to D-Pad Down in Pikmin 2?

Yeah, even though I'm not going out of my way for deathless this time, I'm resetting a lot because my brain keeps telling me I need to use the D-Pad to disband my group and end up using one of my spicy sprays instead. Having a lot of fun otherwise, though.

I mean, I knew about the other way to circumvent when I posted (didn't know about it at the time it happened though, had to look it up).

But from a game design standpoint ... I'm, not sure what that solves? It's either you grind for purple Pikmin, or you do a 1-2 hour long side campaign. As much as I like the side content, that's not a particularly compelling list of choices for one treasure.

I don't understand the issue. There's a thing, and you have to do a bunch of stuff before you can get that thing. This is in like every video gamr

Unlocked the guy who lets you retry Dandori challenges. Big mistake. I was supposed to progress the main campaign but instead spent the last one and a half hours gunning for Platinum. What a dangerously addicting side mode.

3 felt a lot longer to me because of DLC. I just blow through these games. I need like 100 hour campaign, minimum.
3 was like a 6 hour campaign. Don’t get me wrong it was very focused and guided experience with a lot more thought and detail out in each step of the way. However, it was incredibly short. Caves returning, Dandori, hub, and night exploration has already significantly expanded the amount of content by a vast amount in 4.

Jesus, that's quite the difficulty spike from world 2 to world 3. Caves included!

Decided to finish Olimar’s ship wreck tale before continuing on with the main story of the post game, and now there’s a 10 story Dandori cave. This game’s post game is huge.

The lore is actually surprisingly intact, which makes the seeming attempt at a reboot all the stranger. Even the leaf people thing is actually taken directly from the bad ending of the original game. Pretty much everything established about the universe in the past games holds true here, except certain events from the previous games are implied to have not happened yet or happened slightly differently or something. They more or less cover all of it in 4 anyway, so I don't know why they seem to be starting the plot over. They removed zero baggage for newcomers and just made it confusing for existing fans.

The house is something a lot of people seem to get hung up on for some reason. The Glutton's Kitchen in 2 also took place in a house, complete with fresh fried eggs and lunch meat on plates to collect. Pikmin games have always had this thing where it's obviously earth and humans are absent, but there are mysteriously pristine man-made structures everywhere. 4 is just much more in your face about the setting than the past games, and kind of reverses the usual balance of domestic and wilderness environments.

Glutton%27s_Kitchen.jpg
I've said it before and I'll say it again: This game has the exact same premise as Brian's Winter. That is: It's a "what-if" scenario detailing what would have canonically happened if Olimar failed to escape. It's not a reboot per se; it's an alternate ending sequel.

Sure, they retconned a bunch of inconsequential details in order to make Olimar's story match up with the game mechanics of Pikmin 4. Olimar get's to meet all of the new Pikmin colors, his stages are taken from Pikmin 4's campaign, and he even get's a dog companion for the sake of Dandori matches. But for all that, nothing actually important changes. Heck, even Olimar radioing for help comes from Pikmin 1. The only substantial change is the reason why Olimar fails to escape Earth in time.

I do not believe for a second that the humans are "gone" from Earth; they're merely out of sight. Olimar himself even mentions that he thinks there must people natives watching him. There's literally a running stove in the Kitchen and a working freezer. And fresh food, including a ham. That house is not abandoned. The only question is: How contrived is the explanation for why we never see other people? Is it a full=on slap stick "Oh, you just kept missing them?" Or, is there a legitimate reason?

Here's my guess:

If you pay attention to the NPC chatter, the flat our comment on the game mechanics. They point out time flows slower inside of caves, the point out how corpses mysteriously vanish and reappear overnight, they comment on how it doesn't make sense for certain items to be in caves. They even comment on the fact that the Glow Pikmin do not appear to actually be alive. Thus, my theory:

The_Langoliers_%28TV_miniseries%29.jpg

There you go. What ever the details are, who knows. But something to the effect of the premise of The Langoliers. Timey-wimey stuff.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: This game has the exact same premise as Brian's Winter. That is: It's a "what-if" scenario detailing what would have canonically happened if Olimar failed to escape. It's not a reboot per se; it's an alternate ending sequel.

Sure, they retconned a bunch of inconsequential details in order to make Olimar's story match up with the game mechanics of Pikmin 4. Olimar get's to meet all of the new Pikmin colors, his stages are taken from Pikmin 4's campaign, and he even get's a dog companion for the sake of Dandori matches. But for all that, nothing actually important changes. Heck, even Olimar radioing for help comes from Pikmin 1. The only substantial change is the reason why Olimar fails to escape Earth in time.
This is the Fallen Hero timeline!

I do not believe for a second that the humans are "gone" from Earth; they're merely out of sight. Olimar himself even mentions that he thinks there must people natives watching him. There's literally a running stove in the Kitchen and a working freezer. And fresh food, including a ham. That house is not abandoned. The only question is: How contrived is the explanation for why we never see other people? Is it a full=on slap stick "Oh, you just kept missing them?" Or, is there a legitimate reason?

Here's my guess:

If you pay attention to the NPC chatter, the flat our comment on the game mechanics. They point out time flows slower inside of caves, the point out how corpses mysteriously vanish and reappear overnight, they comment on how it doesn't make sense for certain items to be in caves. They even comment on the fact that the Glow Pikmin do not appear to actually be alive. Thus, my theory:

The_Langoliers_%28TV_miniseries%29.jpg

There you go. What ever the details are, who knows. But something to the effect of the premise of The Langoliers. Timey-wimey stuff.
I was thinking about this the other day, how there supposedly was this apocalypse that vanquished all humans from the face of the earth, yet everything you find is in pristine condition, even stuff that is many years apart like the Gameboy Advance and the Switch Joycons or stuff you find in caves.
My take is that this is a fake scenario, something like those fake villages that were built to test nuclear bombs. Due to the scale of Olimar & co., this could all be happening in a very small location and the whole world is going normally a 100 kilometers away.

Another more supernatural option is that there's some entity pulling the strings behind the scenes, maybe the planet itself is a sentient being. If you think about it, no one who sets foot in PNF-404 truly leaves: Olimar always finds a reason to be pulled back in, even the Rescue Corps have to return once they leave the first time (yeah they leave in the end, but so did Olimar at the end of Pikmin 1). It's not that the planet traps you in and doesn't allow you to leave, it's that it finds a way to make you return.

And my darkest take is that this is like Lost: Everyone who fell into PNF-404 died in the crash and they're just in Purgatory. That's why, even if they leave momentarily, they end getting back. The plothole with is that if Oatchi died he would've gone straight to heaven because he's the goodest boy and all good boys go to heaven :)

Oh and BTW, Olimar is always caring about his family and he loves them very much...but everything starts when he goes on a vacation ALONE.

Beat it and what the heck is this post-game. Might as well be a whole new game. Hefty.
Honestly, I think it's just the second half of the game. I think they put the end credits half-way through for player psychology reasons. They wanted players to feel like they "beat the game," and can stop early if they're not having fun. Or something like that.

I'm really hooked up on the Pikmin 3 missions! It's taking me a lot of tries to Platinum each of them (still 3 to go) but when I finally manage to do it I get this similar sensation to when you (almost) flawlessy beat a Souls boss that's been kicking your ass for a couple of hours. I've spent a couple of hours beating "Forest of Festivity" after failing for a couple of seconds and when I finally did it I had almost 2 minutes to spare!! At first this level seemed impossible, with all the difficult to reach places and walls that created very long paths to get anywhere, but it's amazing when you crack it open and start mixing parts where you need the 3 captains at once, with other moments where they each have to do their own thing only to come together at the end again, or share Pikmin across walls...

Conversely, seeing that the timer doesn't stop when I collect what I think is the last piece of fruit makes my heart sink like like when a Souls boss kills you with 1% HP left :)

I like them more than the missions in 4: Having 3 captains with the same abilties opens a lot of different strategies, while in 4, due to everything Oatchi can do but you can't, it feels like the solutions are more restricted.

BTW, I LOVE the small pause in Pikmin 4 after you throw the required number of Pikmins to a collectible. You can mash the button and still get the perfect amount. I never get this right in 3, I'm always falling 1 short or using 1 extra.

I'm really hooked up on the Pikmin 3 missions! It's taking me a lot of tries to Platinum each of them (still 3 to go) but when I finally manage to do it I get this similar sensation to when you (almost) flawlessy beat a Souls boss that's been kicking your ass for a couple of hours. I've spent a couple of hours beating "Forest of Festivity" after failing for a couple of seconds and when I finally did it I had almost 2 minutes to spare!! At first this level seemed impossible, with all the difficult to reach places and walls that created very long paths to get anywhere, but it's amazing when you crack it open and start mixing parts where you need the 3 captains at once, with other moments where they each have to do their own thing only to come together at the end again, or share Pikmin across walls...

Conversely, seeing that the timer doesn't stop when I collect what I think is the last piece of fruit makes my heart sink like like when a Souls boss kills you with 1% HP left :)

I like them more than the missions in 4: Having 3 captains with the same abilties opens a lot of different strategies, while in 4, due to everything Oatchi can do but you can't, it feels like the solutions are more restricted.

BTW, I LOVE the small pause in Pikmin 4 after you throw the required number of Pikmins to a collectible. You can mash the button and still get the perfect amount. I never get this right in 3, I'm always falling 1 short or using 1 extra.
Have you already beaten the treasure collecting one in the desert? I remember that one being the hardest for me

My somewhat Wild take:
Time is just weird on PNF-404, and games are taking place linearly from the space civilizations perspective, but on the approach they may end up in wildly different times relative to the planet. This is why in some games humanity’s remains seem ancient, and in some they feel very recent. Having someone sapient on the planet like Louie during Pikmin 2 locks the time fluctuations, at least temporarily which is why there is no jump in time when the captains return during the same game. Time weirdness keeps things fresh that should logically have spoiled like some of the prepared foods, and is probably related to whatever made humanity disappear.

I've beaten Thristy Desert (and the remix) and I'm missing Beastly Caverns, Forgotten Cove (maybe this is the one you say? It felt very big, in my bronze playthrough I even didn't make it to the big lake) and ClockWork Chasm (this looks incredibly complex with all the conveyor belts, it's surely going to take me a while)...
Thirsty Desert remix was the toughest for me then. Clockwork Chasm is also quite tricky, but also a really fun one

The Pikmin and Animal Crossing teams must share developers, but I noticed in the environment ambience I think in the second or third area the insect trills of beetles/cicadas that were the exact same ones used in ACNH.

Probably makes sense to reuse the sound effects library they paid for but idk, it just made me smile and fall in love with Pikmin 4 that little bit more.

So happy they basically remade Submerged Castle in this game. A whole new generation gets to experience the terror lmao

Finished 100%! I'll keep playing Dandori and still have to do Olimar's missions, but that ending made me tear a bit. Even though it was nothing to write home about, bidding farewell to the Pikmin is always bittersweet.

When 4 was announced, I didn't expect too much from it, I was just glad it was finally a thing after sooooo much time. However, finding out that it was essentially a glorified Pikmin 2 tribute was the last thing I expected. It has its quirks but I think it succeeds as a spiritual successor and also stands a lot on its own.

I love the visuals (after initially being conflicted about them), the revamped enemy designs and the fauna variety, the 5 trillion callbacks to Pikmin 2, the expanded and finally dynamic Piklopedia, Oatchie shenanigans and the insane replay value this game seems to have in my eyes. It's just impossible for me not to love it, these have been probably the sweetest 30 hours I've spent on any Switch game to date.

Thanks, Dandori! I don't like the idea of becoming a plant, though.

Thirsty Desert remix was the toughest for me then. Clockwork Chasm is also quite tricky, but also a really fun one
I think that's the one that took me more tries as well. But it also has one of the most awesome moments: The way I solved it there was a moment when both captains crossed paths at an intersection where a lot of Pikmin where carrying nuggets on their own from different places, it was really cool seeing how I had setup all that :)

Yesterday I platinumed Beastly Caverns, it isn't one of my favourites due to how linear it is; You're basically doing a lot of things with one captain, then with another, then with the last one, there's almost no multitasking. I do appreciate it for trying to do something different, specially with the forced side-view. In fact, that's a strong point of missions, how each one tries to do something different, like the Thirsty Desert Remix being about using purples at first and then turning them into pinks and whites, or Fortress of Festivity with all the elevation. It's not just a change in the map layout, Pikmin availability, captains and the obstacles all work in unison and are used in different ways in every map, like how a small pond of water in Thirsty Desert Remix next to the base forces you to take a very long detour, but if you turn your Purples into Pinks so you can just fly over it.

A small nitpick I have with 3 is with the UI of the aiming system. Sometimes it's not very evident what target you're locked on. I think that on the WiiU there were a lot more effects, like an overlay with the enemy name and a bit of zoom, but on Switch it's just an icon that is easy to miss when there are several things happening on screen. 3 is still a huge leap in usability over 2 though and 4 further refines the formula.

So I rolled credits and it’s fake credits because there’s obviously still a ton of things to do. Should I explore the new area first or do I do Olimar’s Shipwreck Tale first?

So I rolled credits and it’s fake credits because there’s obviously still a ton of things to do. Should I explore the new area first or do I do Olimar’s Shipwreck Tale first?
I come bearing advice from Raccoon.

He says, do Olimar mode, then do the thing it unlocks, then move on to the next area.

The fake credit roll is so pointless it loops around to being funny. Really like the idea that the Rescue Corps was not only content with leaving behind multiple castaways, but the uncured leaflings too. I had a pile of about 8 of them once I rescued Olimar, guess saving them wasn't part of the job lol

Is there a lore reason for why
Louie
is such an asshole?
These games are all pretty darkly comedic, so I think he is just supposed to be that coworker who is selfish, rude, and just overall an endless liability. The lore is the lore of our world, and Louies are just a part of our dumb reality.

Do Olimar’s thing for a change of pace.
Then do another main area to relax.
Then the thing unlocked after Olimar’s Tale.
Then do the next main area. I will also add, I somewhat regret doing every area 100% before moving on due to a minor quest that unlocks after the next ending. I felt the same way after beating Mario Odyssey to a much larger extent.

Back
Top Bottom